PDA

View Full Version : Where the Hell has Pass Rush gone ???

katmandu
12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Good lord! Where has it gone!

No pressure up the middle AT ALL this year! Where's Ziggy ? Where's Heyward ?

Harrison/Woodley have been banged up on the outside and have NOT hardly been a force either.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I am wondering the same thing. I don't think Harrison and Woodley were sent very often. I saw Harrison more in coverage than in pass rushing. I suppose they are trying to help out the DBs, but we just can't bring the heat anymore, hence our turnovers are almost non existent.

tube517
12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
That #1 ranked defense is a mirage. If you cannot force TOs and get sacks, you cannot make any kind of run. It's been going on since 2011 and look where we are. I mean, Deebo, looks better as the season goes but he's one man. Troy isn't making plays. It has to come from others.

steel9guy
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Wish I knew, just aren't getting to the QB like they used to. Keisel is quiet this year.

Devilsdancefloor
12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Troy seems to be sleep walking through the season sadly living more on rep right now than play, then woodley cant stay healthy DL is get 0 push

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 07:37 PM
If Troy is ineffective, let's go back to Allen and Clark. Was working just fine.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 07:43 PM
The defense is passive. Bend but don't break. Woodley might as well not be playing. He was getting handled all night by Witten.

Unfortunately I think that Troy is done. He doesn't have his speed anymore so he can't make the plays.

dislocatedday
12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
The defense is passive. Bend but don't break. Woodley might as well not be playing. He was getting handled all night by Witten.

Unfortunately I think that Troy is done. He doesn't have his speed anymore so he can't make the plays.

+1.....it pains me to think of Troy in this manner, but he does not appear to be the player he was.

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 08:15 PM
This is a good topic. Arguably one of the healthiest units on this team is under-performing on a weekly basis. Why? Is it the scheme or the injuries on the back end?

Steelreal
12-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Lebeau is now a problem. The smart OC will spread us out and force us in Dime and Nickel. Thats how you eliminate our pass rush. Thats the book on beating Lebeau

Steeldude
12-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Good lord! Where has it gone!

No pressure up the middle AT ALL this year! Where's Ziggy ? Where's Heyward ?

The DL is told to sit back. Don't expect them to sack the QB or provide pressure.

Shoes
12-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Wasn't there a song with this title? :chuckle:

Steeldude
12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
This is a good topic. Arguably one of the healthiest units on this team is under-performing on a weekly basis. Why? Is it the scheme or the injuries on the back end?

IMO, the DL looks lost. Kiesel and Hampton are pretty much done

steelerdude15
12-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Our defensive line has been bad for a couple of years, but it's even worse this year. From what I saw tonight, the D-line was getting pushed around and wasn't putting any pressure on Romo. Not only that, but the D-line did nothing against the run either. Heyward does more than Ziggy and Steve should be starting instead of Casey.

steelpride12
12-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I can honestly and safely say Troy has been a killer for our defense. He truly has struggled making the big play and has looked more lost and missing tackles like crazy.

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2012, 08:47 PM
said it a long ass time ago. this defense is a 100% clone of last year's defense. Leading the league or being near the top in nearly every defensive category except for sacks and turnovers. If we make the playoffs. IF...we will lose because we have neither of these things.

Pisses me off that people kept pointing out "who cares as long as the defense is keeping points off the board," well shit, typically in the world of professional football you're getting sacks and turnovers if you're keeping points off the board

BlastFurnace
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
That #1 ranked defense is a mirage. If you cannot force TOs and get sacks, you cannot make any kind of run. It's been going on since 2011 and look where we are. I mean, Deebo, looks better as the season goes but he's one man. Troy isn't making plays. It has to come from others.

I was at the game and watched Troy. He's not even a good tackler any longer.

Woodley is terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Lebeau is now a problem. The smart OC will spread us out and force us in Dime and Nickel. Thats how you eliminate our pass rush. Thats the book on beating Lebeau

The Cowboys had open receivers all day. It was worse than TV showed. Even a non- Steelers fan that I went with said that Romo could have thrown 10 yard outs all day

zulater
12-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Troy was behind the play all game long. He needs to retire. Or put it this way, he needs to earn his roster spot if he comes back.

No doubt he's an all time great and a future Hall of Famer. But this year he's been a liability and a waste of cap space and a roster spot.

SteelGhost
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Hard decisions coming for the Steelers 2013 defense on ALL positions. We need to replace Ham, Troy, Foote, Mundy ...find some capable DB's ....

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Hard decisions coming for the Steelers 2013 defense on ALL positions. We need to replace Ham, Troy, Foote, Mundy ...find some capable DB's ....
Not only is that a tall order, I'm not sure if its even possible. I look for them replace Big Snack, Mundy and Foote. Hopefully the guy that replaces Mundy will be the same guy that replaces Troy in another year. As for Foote, I think that will be a spot for Timmons to take and Spence in Timmons' spot. Also, I just don't see them trying to do anything with Troy until after next season, beyond a restructure. I think they will give him another off season to get healthy and see what he can do next year, buying them time to find his replacement.

SteelGhost
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Not only is that a tall order, I'm not sure if its even possible. I look for them replace Big Snack, Mundy and Foote. Hopefully the guy that replaces Mundy will be the same guy that replaces Troy in another year. As for Foote, I think that will be a spot for Timmons to take and Spence in Timmons' spot. Also, I just don't see them trying to do anything with Troy until after next season, beyond a restructure. I think they will give him another off season to get healthy and see what he can do next year, buying them time to find his replacement.

Yes, but they have to do something. It's hard to say this but Troy has to earn his spot if he wants to play in 2013 IMO.

pepsyman1
12-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I get really aggravated watching the D line with Hampton playing. He's done. McClendon was a beast in preseason. He was pushing centers back into pocket causing disruption and creating gaps for others. Between that and the vanilla base D is doing with LeBeau we simply aren't doing anything but sitting back letting the play come to us...we aren't FORCING anything.

cold-hard-steel
12-18-2012, 10:58 AM
It went dorment till the play-offs. Just like the 2 point conversions.

st33lersguy
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
The D-line have been awful this year and Woodley has been non-existent this year. Harrison has merely showed flashes all season. I think a pass rusher needs to be a top priority in the last week of next April

Seven
12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Defensive line hasn't been as bad as everyone is making it seem. At the moment it's probably the best unit of the three. Problem is with Taylor gone and Polamalu playing poorly, there is no room for error on part of the pass rush like there had been a few weeks ago.

The biggest problem I see is lack of playmaking from the linebacker position. Timmons is the only guy who makes big plays of the four with Harrison still hampered, and Foote is an absolute joke. Constantly out of position, abandoning his gap/coverage assignment and can't get off of blocks like ever. Even when the defensive line does hold the point this group isn't making tackles or getting around the edges.

Defensive backfield is banged up to the point of scheme not being able to make a difference. You can't adjust your defense to account for Victorian getting beat as badly as he did last week without totally hindering the rest of the squad.

Everyone keeps complaining that we have no turnovers, how the hell is that the defensive lines fault? In this scheme the primary job of END/NG/END is to hold the point while OLB/LB/LB/OLB makes plays. When have we ever had pressure on the inside with the exception of a crossing blitz? I don't recall that. It's not like Hampton and Kiesel are going to put on speed moves against the interior offensive linemen ala Jay Ratliff. They aren't that type of player. Smells like a scapegoat to me.

What we need is an improved rushing presence from the outside and better coverage on the back end. I might suggest playing Timmons outside and moving Harrison inside on plays where we want more pressure from the base 3-4 set. Other than that, until Ike returns and Troy either steps up or Allen is reinserted into the lineup I don't see this changing.

Steeldude
12-19-2012, 06:29 AM
The rush is only as good as a healthy Harrison. Harrison is still showing the effects of his injuries/surgeries.

The weakest link on the DL is Hampton. He does not need to be doubled. It's been that way for a few seasons now. He's nothing more than a fat person at this point in his career. Mclendon would be an upgrade.

XxKnightxX
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
And throw out of run formations. Fooling the line to intialy attack run [clogging up their man] and not rushing upfield and holding the linebackers back as well. Didn't you ever notice how cam cameron constantly did half ass and play action almost every 1st or 2nd down? Were no longer an attacking defense. Were a reactive defense, and in this NFL, that's a losing defense who is dictated what to do. I used to love watching our defense make the big stops and used to wince watching the offense, now I can't watch the defense, and sometimes I can't watch either.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

katmandu
12-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Lebeau is now a problem. The smart OC will spread us out and force us in Dime and Nickel. Thats how you eliminate our pass rush. Thats the book on beating LebeauWhen you're playing with 2nd, 3rd level players, this can be expected.

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
katmandu, did you mean to post this at the beginning of the 2011 season? Because the defense hasnt changed at all since then

Dwinsgames
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Hey lets run Lebeau out of town , he should be able to make pro bowl quality players out of these 4-5-6 DBs some of which where walking the streets a week ago .... CAN HIS ASS he sucks ............

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/blush%5E_%5Etahoma%5E_%5E5%5E_%5E3%5E_%5EREALLY%20 %5E_%5E.gif

you are NEVER going to get good coverage or good pressure with a roster full of walking wounded and everyone trying to help cover up for the next guy .....

hell they may as well line up with 2 D-lineman ( the biggest fattest ones they can find ) and the rest LBs and DBs and make teams really guess where the rush is coming from .... cause we are not gonna get it like it is , not with the state of the health of this roster

zulater
12-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Woodley hasn't been the same player since he popped his hammy against the Patriots last season. He needs to prove himself to be the same quality of player as he was before that injury through OTA's and camp next year in order to justify his roster spot and cap usage. In other words if woodley can't prove himself to be a quality edge rusher he needs to be cut.

katmandu
12-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Troy was behind the play all game long. He needs to retire. Or put it this way, he needs to earn his roster spot if he comes back.

No doubt he's an all time great and a future Hall of Famer. But this year he's been a liability and a waste of cap space and a roster spot.A lot of you folks are forgetting that Troy makes the big plays went Clark and Company cover for him.

Troy has also been forced to pick up the play in the backfield for all the younger inexperienced guys.

That is a BIG task for him to do which also takes away from his ability TOO MAKE those BIG "TROY" splash plays we have all come to expect from him!

Keep this all in mind when judging Troy's play!

katmandu
12-19-2012, 09:07 PM
katmandu, did you mean to post this at the beginning of the 2011 season? Because the defense hasnt changed at all since thenI actually posted about this last season as well. It's just a continuation with this season's issues.

43Hitman
12-19-2012, 09:20 PM
I have been watching the replay of the Steeler/Cowboy game and one thing that really stood out to me in that game was tackling, or should I say lack there of. I can probably count on one hand how many guys actually wrapped their arms around the player. Time after time, small guys like Victorian, Golden, and Lewis would come flying in with just a shoulder looking for the big hit only to have the offensive guy bounce right off and keep rumbling forward for another 5 yards or so. This is something that I really hope changes against the Bengals this week.

NCSteeler
12-20-2012, 07:21 AM
I think it's way too soon to throw up your hands about Troy's play or trying to decide if he should play next season. Is he 2006-2008 Superman, No Is he still a good safety top 15 or 20 absolutely. With Ike out you can expect to see very little excitement from Troy. If you think he on the back end of a play or trailing, it's normally because his assignment was on the other side of the field. Really a similar situation sometimes to Timmons he'll seem too late or way behind chasing a play, but most of the time it was not his assignment and he was good /fast enough to chase it down. This D has big holes that make the superstars look pretty average

katmandu
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I think it's way too soon to throw up your hands about Troy's play or trying to decide if he should play next season. Is he 2006-2008 Superman, No Is he still a good safety top 15 or 20 absolutely. With Ike out you can expect to see very little excitement from Troy.

If you think he on the back end of a play or trailing, it's normally because his assignment was on the other side of the field. Really a similar situation sometimes to Timmons he'll seem too late or way behind chasing a play, but most of the time it was not his assignment and he was good /fast enough to chase it down. This D has big holes that make the superstars look pretty averageI'm glad someone else around here has some damn sense about Troy !

BlastFurnace
12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I have been watching the replay of the Steeler/Cowboy game and one thing that really stood out to me in that game was tackling, or should I say lack there of. I can probably count on one hand how many guys actually wrapped their arms around the player. Time after time, small guys like Victorian, Golden, and Lewis would come flying in with just a shoulder looking for the big hit only to have the offensive guy bounce right off and keep rumbling forward for another 5 yards or so. This is something that I really hope changes against the Bengals this week.

Don't forget Troy. He runs up like an out of control torpedo and the runner just side steps him. Just off the top of my head, it happened twice in the Cowboys game alone. His tackling skill has gone in the toilet as well.

43Hitman
12-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Don't forget Troy. He runs up like an out of control torpedo and the runner just side steps him. Just off the top of my head, it happened twice in the Cowboys game alone. His tackling skill has gone in the toilet as well.
Yep him too. They all have to play at a higher level if they want to make the playoffs.

GBMelBlount
12-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Troys dramatic drop off does not surprise me at all.

He has played with reckless abandon his entire career and it has taken it's toll on his body (and perhaps mind) imo.

zulater
12-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Troys dramatic drop off does not surprise me at all.

He has played with reckless abandon his entire career and it has taken it's toll on his body (and perhaps mind) imo.

Body yes. Mind????? What makes you think there's anything wrong with his mind? I heard PPG reporter Gerry Dulac on a podcast the other day talking about a very poignant conversation he had with Troy the other day about the team and then life in general.

Troy's mind is working just fine as far as I can gather. 20-30 years from now? Who knows? I pray he wont be seriously affected by post concussion syndrome. But for now he's great in that regard.

zulater
12-24-2012, 09:55 AM
6 sacks yesterday! Where the hell was that all year? Granted Dalton moves about as badly in the pocket as any current NFL qb. If Romo was as sloth like as Dalton we probably would have nailed him 3 or 4 more times as well. And obviously this was the first game all season that the real Troy Polamalu showed up. But still I don't think Lebeau sent Timmons in on enough blitzes for the season as a whole. Percentage wise when Timmons blitzed he either got the hurry or the sack at a pretty good rate.

SteelerFanInStl
12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
It was nice seeing all of the sacks but Cincy is known to give up a lot of sacks. Did you see what Philly did to them the week before?

I like the aggressiveness though. Our defense played soft far too often this year.

zulater
12-24-2012, 10:09 AM
It was nice seeing all of the sacks but Cincy is known to give up a lot of sacks. Did you see what Philly did to them the week before?

I like the aggressiveness though. Our defense played soft far too often this year.

I wouldn't want my long term fortunes tied to Andy Dalton in this day and age. He's a sack waiting to happen.

43Hitman
12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't want my long term fortunes tied to Andy Dalton in this day and age. He's a sack waiting to happen.

Yeah, he seems easily confused and looks to same side of the field for his reads. You hardly ever see him get to his third or fourth read. He's young still though so all of that can be fixed with more film study.

I was really glad to see us getting pressure with our front 3 though. Big Snack had a good game, and we saw Mclendon getting some playing time and also getting pressure. Maybe our future up front isn't so bleak after all.