PDA

View Full Version : Great teams

GBMelBlount
12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Great teams and great players win in the clutch.

We don't.

The season was essentially on the line the last two games and we screwed the pooch....

I realize we have a lot of injuries but I have lost faith in this teams collective desire to win...as well as Tomlin's.

I also feel Ben lacks the intensity and competitiveness he had earlier in his career.

When he was young and hungry he racked up fourth quarter come from behind wins like crazy.

Not so much anymore.....

Just sayin.

X-Terminator
12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Sorry, but if AB doesn't fumble, this game probably doesn't go in to OT, and Ben doesn't throw the pick. Simple as that. I thought the team showed plenty of heart tonight with the way they came back from a 10-point deficit to take the lead and the defense forcing the Cowboys to punt after the long punt return. One huge mistake cost them the game, as it has done all season long.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Time to do some serious soul searching in the off season. I don't really see a core group of guys that can lead us.

Just way too many brain farts in every aspect of the game. Tomlin again.

polamalubeast
The season was not on the line......Ben had a very good game before the interception.....This is a overreaction.....Win the next 2 games and they are in the playoffs

fansince'76
This loss is on Brown. Nobody else. He followed up the fumble by going full retard on the next punt and then stupidly going out of bounds. We were lucky to make it to OT with all his fuckups at the end.

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
brown i love you man, but today it's been 2 straight weeks of horrible football from you.

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Sorry, but if AB doesn't fumble, this game probably doesn't go in to OT, and Ben doesn't throw the pick. Simple as that. I thought the team showed plenty of heart tonight with the way they came back from a 10-point deficit to take the lead and the defense forcing the Cowboys to punt after the long punt return. One huge mistake cost them the game, as it has done all season long.

This loss is on Brown. Nobody else. He followed up the fumble by going full retard on the next punt and then stupidly going out of bounds. We were lucky to make it to OT with all his fuckups at the end.

brown i love you man, but today it's been 2 straight weeks of horrible football from you.

^^^ All of this ^^^

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 07:01 PM
We can use the excuse of injuries all we want but every team has injuries. The problem is that our backups aren't very good and that's because we haven't done a good job of drafting recently.

X-Terminator
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
We can use the excuse of injuries all we want but every team has injuries. The problem is that our backups aren't very good and that's because we haven't done a good job of drafting recently.

Kinda tough to have quality depth when you are playing your 6th and 7th DBs. Very, very few teams are able to overcome that. Poor drafting has nothing to do with it.

stillers4me
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
The 2 sacks at the end of regulation reminded me of last year, where everybody expected Ben to have the great comeback and....smack.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2012, 07:06 PM
The 2 sacks at the end of regulation reminded me of last year, where everybody expected Ben to have the great comeback and....smack.

I agree Sue. Can't lay all of this on Brown. Our team imploded at the end imo.

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I agree Sue. Can't lay all of this on Brown. Our team imploded at the end imo.

Those most likely don't happen if it wasn't for AB's complete meltdown.

fansince'76
12-16-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree Sue. Can't lay all of this on Brown.

Although I don't like to scapegoat, I kinda think you can. We had the lead, the D just made a great stop, we had momentum, and he killed it singlehandedly by carrying the ball like a loaf of bread.

EDIT: And he compounded that mistake by making two even bigger mistakes afterward.

st33lersguy
12-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Damn waste of 8.5 million dollars Antonio Clown

SteelerFanInStl
Kinda tough to have quality depth when you are playing your 6th and 7th DBs. Very, very few teams are able to overcome that. Poor drafting has nothing to do with it.

Poor drafting has everything to do with it. Where else do you get your backups other than FA, which we typically only use for scrubs?

Who's a good CB after Ike and Lewis? NO ONE! None of those guys can cover anyone. DB has been our weakness for many years and yet we have failed to draft anyone decent other than Lewis.

Count Steeler

I was fully expecting the Cowboys to put up 35 points. We kept them to 24. So the defense surprised me, even though they gave up a lot of yardage. Still can't get any pressure on the QB and you know, turnovers are virtually non existent once again.

X-Terminator
12-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Poor drafting has everything to do with it. Where else do you get your backups other than FA, which we typically only use for scrubs.

Who's a good CB after Ike and Lewis? NO ONE! None of those guys can cover anyone. DB has been our weakness for many years and yet we have failed to draft anyone decent other than Lewis.

Name me one team that has 4 or 5 starter-caliber CBs.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 07:18 PM

I'm not even talking about #4 or #5. Tell me who is a good CB on our team other than Ike and Keenan?

tube517
12-16-2012, 07:20 PM

We don't.

The season was essentially on the line the last two games and we screwed the pooch....

I realize we have a lot of injuries but I have lost faith in this teams collective desire to win...as well as Tomlin's.

I also feel Ben lacks the intensity and competitiveness he had earlier in his career.

When he was young and hungry he racked up fourth quarter come from behind wins like crazy.

Not so much anymore.....

Just sayin.

He also didn't have bonehead WR play early in his career. He needs his teammates (WRs) to show at least some level heads and be in the game 100%

X-Terminator
12-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm not even talking about #4 or #5. Tell me who is a good CB on our team other than Ike and Keenan?

Cortez Allen, who BTW is injured and didn't play today. If you can name me a team that has more than 3 good/decent corners, go for it.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I was fully expecting the Cowboys to put up 35 points. We kept them to 24. So the defense surprised me, even though they gave up a lot of yardage. Still can't get any pressure on the QB and you know, turnovers are virtually non existent once again.

No pressure, no turnovers, no sacks, give up a lot of yardage, bend but hope not to break.

I fell in love with the Steelers when I was a kid in the 70's because of the aggressive way that they played defense. I've always loved that about the Steelers more than anything else. The defense has lost that edge and just doesn't play aggressively any more.

Edman
12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Welp, the division is out of the question with this loss, but the postseason is still open to the Steelers.

Antonio Brown is THE GOAT of this game. No one else.

SteelerEmpire
12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I just knew Ben was gonna throw a pic in that drive... just knew it. This team has lost it's magic...

Devilsdancefloor
12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Poor drafting has everything to do with it. Where else do you get your backups other than FA, which we typically only use for scrubs?

Cortez Allen is pretty freaking good i also think everyone is having a knee jerk reaction since we are playing guys in the 2ndary that basically in street cloths a few weeks ago

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Cortez Allen, who BTW is injured and didn't play today. If you can name me a team that has more than 3 good/decent corners, go for it.

I wouldn't call Allen a good CB. He got burned the whole SD game. He may become one but he's not close yet IMO.

This is what happens when we continue to wait until the late rounds to draft DBs.

ALLD
12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Tomlin was going to put Rainey in on the last punt, but put in Brown anyway. Maybe coach has lost some intuition for how the team is executing.

Steeldude
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM

We don't.

Not so much anymore.....

Just sayin.

You need more great players. IMO, the Steelers seem to be down to two great players(BR, Miller). Harrison and Polamalu, as of now, are not great. The Steelers have good players, average players and below average players, but the pool on the great players is very shallow at the moment. Where are the game changers or impact players?

Shoes
12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
..........on a side note Lefty was sporting some nice casuals on the sideline this week. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I just knew Ben was gonna throw a pic in that drive... just knew it. This team has lost it's magic...

I hate to be negative but I was not confident going into over time.

In fact I was praying at the end of regulation that Ben would throw a bomb or two and maybe draw a penalty so we could avoid overtime.

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 08:11 PM

I hate to be negative but I was not confident going into over time.

In fact I was praying at the end of regulation that Ben would throw a bomb or two and maybe draw a penalty so we could avoid overtime.

Without Ben this team is 5-11 at best. Just remember that.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Without Ben this team is 5-11 at best. Just remember that.

Most teams are 5-11 without their starting quarterback...

except for the patriots, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

You need more great players. IMO, the Steelers seem to be down to two great players(BR, Miller). Harrison and Polamalu, as of now, are not great. The Steelers have good players, average players and below average players, but the pool on the great players is very shallow at the moment. Where are the game changers or impact players?

That is a great point but sometimes that fire and desire can be the difference between a really good player and a game changing impact player imo.

SteelGhost
12-16-2012, 10:56 PM

I'd add Timmons, the guy is on the rise IMO.

pepsyman1
12-16-2012, 11:46 PM
One thing that I've noticed about this team over the last couple of seasons which is really disturbing is how poor a tackling team we've become. We've ALWAYS had good tackling teams but the amount of missed tackles,arm tackles, broken tackles is pathetic. This team was always known for its incredible pursuit and gang tackling. It's non-existent anymore.

Steeldude
12-17-2012, 02:05 AM
I'd add Timmons, the guy is on the rise IMO.

He is on the rise, I agree. Lebeau needs to find a way to get him more involved.

jb500ex
12-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Look at who the giants had as DBS last year. They lost their top 4 or 5 guys

BlastFurnace
12-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Can't do that, but I can find plenty of teams...if not most...that have a better front 7 on defense...which falls on drafting. They have only 2 good players in their front 7 (Timmons and Harrison) and only one of them was drafted. Very few teams get as little pressure as the Steelers. This absolutely falls on Colbert and Tomlin and their drafting.

X-Terminator
12-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Can't do that, but I can find plenty of teams...if not most...that have a better front 7 on defense...which falls on drafting. They have only 2 good players in their front 7 (Timmons and Harrison) and only one of them was drafted. Very few teams get as little pressure as the Steelers. This absolutely falls on Colbert and Tomlin and their drafting.

And yet, I heard very few people complain about some of those picks when they happened. Hindsight must be great!

The bigger problem is that they DO have talent, and it's being wasted on the bench in favor of old vets who can't get it done anymore. If you want to blame Tomlin for anything, there's one area where he deserves the criticism. There is absolutely no reason why Heyward and McLendon aren't starting or playing more often ahead of Hampton and Hood (who I still think is a good player, just misused).

X-Terminator
12-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Look at who the giants had as DBS last year. They lost their top 4 or 5 guys

Yeah...in PRE-SEASON, when it's easier to replace top players. Plus, they only lost 2 guys to IR (Prince Amukamara came back later in the season). It is much harder to replace those players during the regular season.

Try again.

Pristas
12-17-2012, 09:03 AM

I've been asking the same question.

BlastFurnace
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
And yet, I heard very few people complain about some of those picks when they happened. Hindsight must be great!

You never heard criticism of the Wordlis pick?

X-Terminator
12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
You never heard criticism of the Wordlis pick?

Note that I said some of those picks. I do recall the criticism of the Worilds pick. Funny thing is now, he might be a better fit than Woodley.

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Note that I said some of those picks. I do recall the criticism of the Worilds pick. Funny thing is now, he might be a better fit than Woodley.

I'd like to know WTF has happened to Woodley. He hasn't had any real major injuries yet he's a shadow of his former self.

As for Worilds, many, including me, wanted Sean Lee with that pick. Hindsight on that pick makes it look even worse. I'm just hoping that Worilds can at least turn into a serviceable OLBer. I wouldn't be opposed to him starting right now over Woodley to see if he's the future or not.

Count Steeler
12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I'd like to know WTF has happened to Woodley. He hasn't had any real major injuries yet he's a shadow of his former self.

As for Worilds, many, including me, wanted Sean Lee with that pick. Hindsight on that pick makes it look even worse. I'm just hoping that Worilds can at least turn into a serviceable OLBer. I wouldn't be opposed to him starting right now over Woodley to see if he's the future or not.

Woodley was invisible yesterday. He came into camp out of shape and he still looks too heavy. This has been a disappointing year and brings into question the contract that he has. He is a major cap hit next year and we need production out of him. Our front seven on D has a lot of catching up to do.

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Woodley was invisible yesterday. He came into camp out of shape and he still looks too heavy. This has been a disappointing year and brings into question the contract that he has. He is a major cap hit next year and we need production out of him. Our front seven on D has a lot of catching up to do.

That's a big understatement! :lol: