PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley could become top candidate for Cardinals head coach job

vader29
12-16-2012, 11:42 AM
With the Arizona Cardinals losing nine straight games after a 4-0 start, including a historic 58-0 loss last week to rival Seattle, team officials are mulling possible changes for the offseason, sources said, with former Cardinals coordinator Todd Haley a top option to replace coach Ken Whisenhunt if a change is made.

Haley has shined in his first season as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator -- following his firing as Chiefs coach last year -- and his name continues to come up in internal discussions in Arizona, sources said. The Bidwill family remains big supporters of Haley, who served as offensive coordinator in 2007-08 and was play caller for Arizona's lone Super Bowl team. The Bidwills pushed for Haley to be back on Whisenhunt's staff after last season, facilitating a series of meetings between Whisenhunt and Haley, but Whisenhunt had already committed to coordinator Mike Miller calling plays and ended up retaining the staff favorite.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21411006/the-nfl-today-no-extension-for-lovie-bears-and-smith-could-part-ways

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
ugh ........ and that is the inherited risk of hiring people that already have achieved good success in the league ...

Hopefully Haley bombs his interview or likes it to much in his boyhood home to leave

Seven
12-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Anyone think we're going to trade Haley for Whisenhunt? :chuckle:

Shoes
12-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Just a gut feeling, but I don't think he'd take it.

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
omfg, they're stealing our coaches too? If we lose Haley, i hope we could get whisenhunt as our OC?

X-Terminator
12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
omfg, they're stealing our coaches too? If we lose Haley, i hope we could get whisenhunt as our OC?

I'd rather them hire Norv Turner instead.

SteelerFanInStl
I'm really hoping that this doesn't happen. I like what Haley has done for us and I think that he can do much more.

Haley is one of these coordinators that just isn't a good head coach. He showed that in KC. I don't know why teams keep trying to put them in that position.

Seven

That would be too good to be true.

fansince'76
12-16-2012, 11:51 AM

This. I'd even prefer Turner as an OC to Haley. For as bad as Turner sucks as a head coach, he's every bit as good of an OC.

If we wound up getting Turner out of the deal as an OC, it wouldn't break my heart to see Haley move on.

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 11:59 AM
This. I'd even prefer Turner as an OC to Haley. For as bad as Turner sucks as a head coach, he's every bit as good of an OC.

If we wound up getting Turner out of the deal as an OC, it wouldn't break my heart to see Haley move on.

I agree. That would be a definite upgrade at OC. Don't get me wrong, I really like Haley, but Norv is on a different level when all he has to do is run an offense.

stillers4me
12-16-2012, 11:59 AM

I would just hate to make the offense start all over again for the second year in row. They were just starting to click when Ben got hurt.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I would just hate to make the offense start all over again for the second year in row. They were just starting to click when Ben got hurt.

Agreed. Nothing against Norv because he is a good OC but I'd rather not start over again. Plus, if we lose Haley, I don't see Norv getting hired to fill that role.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Chan Gailey is another hat that MIGHT get tossed into the ring , not sure just how secure his job is going to be as the top man in Buffalo come seasons end

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I would think that Gailey is done in Buffalo too.

fansince'76
12-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Well, one thing's for sure - I don't want Whisenhunt back, if only because of the "drama" the press would create as far as Roethlisberger's concerned. It would be 1000X as bad as the manufactured BS "drama" between Roethlisberger and Haley this past offseason.

For continuity's sake, I'd like to see Haley stick around, but if he left for AZ and we landed Turner, I'd be pretty damn happy.

cold-hard-steel
12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
In Todds defense , he has not had his full compliment of personell to work with in his first run at his job. I would hate to see him go after only one season like this.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Chan Gailey is another hat that MIGHT get tossed into the ring , not sure just how secure his job is going to be as the top man in Buffalo come seasons end

He still has 2 more years on his contract and word is Wilson (owner) doesn't want to pay 2 head coaches for 2 years. The Buffalo fans are very frustrated. 13 years now without a playoff appearance.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
He still has 2 more years on his contract and word is Wilson (owner) doesn't want to pay 2 head coaches for 2 years. The Buffalo fans are very frustrated. 13 years now without a playoff appearance.

nobody wants to ...... but many have ....

not saying he will get the http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/butcher.gif but one must admit the showing they had last year and to then spend some big money in the off season and the results not improve he could be on the block

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 02:48 PM
nobody wants to ...... but many have ....

not saying he will get the http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/butcher.gif but one must admit the showing they had last year and to then spend some big money in the off season and the results not improve he could be on the block

If it was up to the fans, he would be gone already. Just very archaic coaching techniques and very questionable game calling by Gailey. He SHOULD be fired if Wilson is paying attention, but Buffalo is a strange team. Heck, Gaily is still defending Fitzpatrick as the QB of the future. The guy is a back up at best.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
If it was up to the fans, he would be gone already. Just very archaic coaching techniques and very questionable game calling by Gailey. He SHOULD be fired if Wilson is paying attention, but Buffalo is a strange team. Heck, Gaily is still defending Fitzpatrick as the QB of the future. The guy is a back up at best.

I totally understand him defending Fitz , what choice does he have but to try and give him confidence , he has no backup plan to speak of ..if Gailey openly states look we do not have a NFL caliber starting QB what message does that send his team ?

who knows what Gailey is thinking in his mind about the matter but he surely can not let it cross his lips at this point

Edman
12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Norv Turner is the Wade Phillips of Offenses. Incompetent Coach, but great coordinator.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I totally understand him defending Fitz , what choice does he have but to try and give him confidence , he has no backup plan to speak of ..if Gailey openly states look we do not have a NFL caliber starting QB what message does that send his team ?

who knows what Gailey is thinking in his mind about the matter but he surely can not let it cross his lips at this point

Sure he can. This season is done. Start talking about the draft and get some hopes up for next year. Instead he has dismissed the possibility outright that they would consider taking a QB in the 1st round next year.

Sorry to the OP, Haley, hopefully will remain a Steeler for 2 or 3 more years. At least win 1 SB in the Black and Gold. Then he can explore HC possibilities again. But if he does go, I wouldn't mind seeing Turner in the B&G.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Sure he can. This season is done. Start talking about the draft and get some hopes up for next year. Instead he has dismissed the possibility outright that they would consider taking a QB in the 1st round next year.

Sorry to the OP, Haley, hopefully will remain a Steeler for 2 or 3 more years. At least win 1 SB in the Black and Gold. Then he can explore HC possibilities again. But if he does go, I wouldn't mind seeing Turner in the B&G.

maybe he will in the coming weeks but mathematically they still have a shot and Gailey being the forever optimus( sp ) its easy to see why he is holding his breath ( his job may depend on it )

ALLD
12-16-2012, 04:59 PM
We should trade Haley and Wallace for Whiz AND Fitz. I could live with that.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 05:00 PM

We'll take Fitz. No OC needed. Just let Ben sandlot the offense. Works better than anything else they have been doing.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
maybe he will in the coming weeks but mathematically they still have a shot and Gailey being the forever optimus( sp ) its easy to see why he is holding his breath ( his job may depend on it )

now we shall see what Gailey says about the QB pos. they are out of it after today

Bluecoat96
12-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Anyone think we're going to trade Haley for Whisenhunt? :chuckle:

I'm thinking that Ben would be even less happy about that choice for OC. lol

Dwinsgames
12-17-2012, 06:55 PM
I fear the new OC is already under contract if Haley moves on ...... I wish that was not the case but it is probably Kirbys job

Chidi29
12-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Buddy Nix has done enough Fitzpatrick bashing for the two of them.

But I wouldn't want Gailey. Bills' fans haven't been happy about the lack of usage of CJ Spiller, easily the offense's most dynamic player.

Count Steeler
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Buddy Nix has done enough Fitzpatrick bashing for the two of them.

But I wouldn't want Gailey. Bills' fans haven't been happy about the lack of usage of CJ Spiller, easily the offense's most dynamic player.

You can only guess what the radio was like today. 50-17 loss to Seattle (in Toronto). Quote I heard from Gailey was that they have become too predictable with their screen plays and the other teams are waiting for the plays. You lose 50-17 and you are worried about screen passes? How about that defense? Mario Williams has been close to a bust. Listening to Gailey, it seems like the game has passed him by.

Craic
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM

I'll take Fitz. Keep Whiz as far away from here as possible. We're still suffering from his shortsightedness when it comes to the O line. No thank you.

43Hitman
12-18-2012, 05:43 AM
I'll take Fitz. Keep Whiz as far away from here as possible. We're still suffering from his shortsightedness when it comes to the O line. No thank you.

Was that on Whiz or Russ Grimm?

zulater
12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
It probably will be good if Haley moves on. Not because he's a bad coach, but because of the situation with Ben and how upset he was with Arians firing. This is one of those situations where you're better off being the guy after the guy, if you know what I mean. In other words Ben was going to take an attitude towards anyone after B.A. But now that situations been buffered and the next guy will be embraced by Ben simply because he's not Haley. :lol:

tube517
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Whis would never come back here as an OC. He wanted the Head Coaching job. You can just eliminate that thought.

zulater
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Whis would never come back here as an OC. He wanted the Head Coaching job. You can just eliminate that thought.

Ben wouldn't stand for it anyway. :chuckle:

Craic
12-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Was that on Whiz or Russ Grimm?

Six in one half a dozen in the other. Their still coaching together.

steelerdude15
12-18-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope Haley stays with the Steelers.

st33lersguy
12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Well if Haley does get the Cardinals' head coaching job, I would love to get Whiz and his bag of trick plays back in da burgh