PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys haven't been back to Super Bowl since beating Steelers 17 years ago

stillers4me
12-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Franco Harris in the metallic silver blue uniform of the Dallas Cowboys? Lynn Swann making acrobatic catches with the state of Texas star on his helmet? Terry Bradshaw throwing touchdowns to Drew Pearson and Golden Richards rather than Swann and John Stallworth?

It could have happened in the 1970s, if Gil Brandt had his druthers. And, oh how history might have changed.
Brandt was the Cowboys vice president of player personnel from 1960-89 and wanted to draft Harris in the first round of the 1972 draft. But the Steelers drafted Harris, a running back from Penn State, with the 14th overall pick and the Cowboys had to settle for running back Bill Thomas of Boston College. History will show that Thomas never authored the greatest play in National Football League history nor had an army with Frank Sinatra as a member named for him.

Two years later, the Steelers had the 21st pick in the draft, one spot ahead of the Cowboys. Brandt said the Cowboys so desperately wanted to draft Swann, a ballerina-like receiver from USC, that he instructed the team official at the draft to be ready to turn in their selection card in case the Steelers let their allotted time expire..............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/americas-teams-failed-attempts-cowboys-havent-been-back-to-super-bowl-since-beating-steelers-17-years-ago-666608/

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/americas-teams-failed-attempts-cowboys-havent-been-back-to-super-bowl-since-beating-steelers-17-years-ago-666608/#ixzz2FEDka8tu

tube517
12-16-2012, 09:47 AM
We only play once every 4 years but Dallas is still a rival, especially to old time fans. I hate the Ratbirds, Cheats*, Stains, Bungholes alot. But, there is a different kind of hate for the Crygirls. It's about the whole franchise and who has had the most success. And that whole "America's Team" moniker makes me want to puke (Esp since The Chief turned that shit down). Fuck Dallas, Fuck Romosimpson, Fuck Jerry Skeletor, Fuck Dez Bryant. I want a damn win today.

Mamaduck43
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I was thinking about todays' game, and trying to get my game face on.... I thought back to SB XXX, but that just made me nauseous - - as it does every time I think about it... So then I thought back to SB X and SB XIII and now I am in the mood.... I am hoping for a win today - - it depends on who shows up for the game....

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Title should be, "Cowboys haven't been back to SB since being gifted the title by Neil O'Donnell."

ALLD
12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Jackie Smith

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Jackie Smith

Did Wallace train with him?

ALLD
12-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Does the 60-yard catch make up for the other drops?

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Does the 60-yard catch make up for the other drops?

It makes a dent.