PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace trying to improve for Pittsburgh Steelers

Count Steeler
12-14-2012, 06:11 PM
By Kareem Copeland

Mike Wallace was bound to experience some backlash from his preseason holdout.

The wide receiver hasn't exactly been thrilled with Todd Haley's new offense and the Pittsburgh Steelers' emphasis on shorter routes and quick passes. Wallace has tried to adapt to the new style, but he has been plagued by six dropped passes -- and he's starting to hear it from Steelers fans.

"I made the bed, I'll lie in it," Wallace said Wednesday, via The Associated Press. "Anything I do is going to be magnified, good, bad, it doesn't really matter.

"I've just got to do what I need to do, and I don't give anybody a reason to say anything. Whatever happens, I take full responsibility for it."

Wallace is on pace to match his career high of 72 receptions and needs to find the end zone only once more to better his 2011 total of eight touchdowns. The yardage, however, is way down, and Wallace likely will miss 1,000 yards for the first time since 2009, his rookie season.

Last week, Wallace talked about losing focus during games when the ball isn't coming his way.

"When you're not getting the ball into the games, sometime you might get a little frustrated and lose focus in the game, not on the game, but sometimes you get mentally not focused on the things you always need to be focused on," Wallace said Wednesday.

full story @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110595/article/mike-wallace-trying-to-improve-for-pittsburgh-steelers

Edman
12-14-2012, 06:54 PM
He can improve this team by going elsewhere.

GoSlash27
12-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Ouch! :heh:

Dwinsgames
12-14-2012, 08:20 PM
just catch the dam ball ( that is in your job description after all )

Devilsdancefloor
12-14-2012, 09:53 PM

i am getting reallllllyyyy close to this point myself

just catch the dam ball ( that is in your job description after all )

i have been to this point for weeks his lack of effort is what is killing it for me

zulater
12-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Saying is saying, doing is doing. You got 3 games, as does everyone else on this team to show everyone what you're really all about.

I'll reserve further commentary on Wallace until the season is over. If he's on his game and Ben is too. And the line is up to the task Wallace could really help his bottom line with a big finish.

Help this team get into the playoffs and make a real run once there and you can change the conversation entirely Mike.

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 08:32 AM
wallace will catch 2 tds again this week!!!

zulater
12-15-2012, 08:37 AM
wallace will catch 2 tds again this week!!!

If they're in garbage time again no one will care either.

In order to get credit you need to make plays while the game's outcome is still in the balance. The play wallace didn't make last week weigh's ten times heavier than the ones he did.

st33lersguy
12-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Agreed. He used to be really good, but this year he has turned into Limas Sweed

ALLD
12-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Bad attitude, lack of professionalism and dropping too many passes. He used to catch everything that was thrown at him and did it with a smile on his face. Now he is a sour puss butter fingers.

st33lersguy
12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
The man has severe effort issues now, can you imagine how little effort he will bring if he receives the big payday he is looking for?

GoSlash27
12-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Hey, I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt. I certainly hope he *does* improve. I'm pulling for him.
/ what else can I do?

Steeldude
12-15-2012, 11:11 PM
As of now he is a player who has a great 40 time, but not much else. If he takes time to learn how to catch, improve routes, work on his fundamentals and improve his attitude then he could be a great WR someday.

I have yet to see one Wallace supporter explain why the Steelers should give a contract to a player who deliberately doesn't try. The one explanation I did receive was it's not Wallace's job to fight for poor pass.

Edman
12-16-2012, 04:02 PM
It's good to see ol' Wallace make his presence known by killing another momentum drive with a drop.

It just wouldn't be a Steelers game without Wally dropping a ball.

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
It's good to see ol' Wallace make his presence known by killing another momentum drive with a drop.

It just wouldn't be a Steelers game without Wally dropping a ball.

...what drop?

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 07:35 PM
...what drop?

Think he is referring to the catch that was out of bounds.

86WARD
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Wallace has been improving...the rest of the receivers in decline...lol.

Edman
12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Wallace has been improving...the rest of the receivers in decline...lol.

Lol all you want. Watch Wallace disappear next week.

HollywoodSteel
12-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Think he is referring to the catch that was out of bounds.

I'm not going to give him grief for that one. It was a bad throw that he had to stop, come back for and then almost made a really good catch. In fact I'm not entirely convinced that his toe (on the foot that came down out of bounds) wasn't still touching the ground when he secured possession. I only replayed it once frame by frame during the commercial break and it looked close enough to me that I wouldn't have been surprised if they failed to overturn the call on the field.

86WARD
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Lol all you want. Watch Wallace disappear next week.

With the rest of the team...wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
these wallace threads have gotten so ridiculous, its now to the point where people are rooting for him to fail.

Steeldude
12-17-2012, 11:07 PM
these wallace threads have gotten so ridiculous, its now to the point where people are rooting for him to fail.

No one is rooting for him to fail. They are simply pointing out a player who held out is not performing and why. As Swann stated, he should be making these catches.

If you want $10,000,000 then you should play like it. It was another classic example of Wallace's subpar body control and lack of sideline awareness.

smokin3000gt
12-17-2012, 11:13 PM
We should save the $10m and put that towards clone Heath Miller research.

Craic
12-18-2012, 12:15 AM
As of now he is a player who has a great 40 time, but not much else. If he takes time to learn how to catch, improve routes, work on his fundamentals and improve his attitude then he could be a great WR someday.

I have yet to see one Wallace supporter explain why the Steelers should give a contract to a player who deliberately doesn't try. The one explanation I did receive was it's not Wallace's job to fight for poor pass.
Bull.

I agree with pretty much everything else here, though he does catch with his hands at times. But saying that he doesn't "try" is out and out wrong. "Problem's focusing" and "not trying" are not synonymous. They're not even in the same ballpark.

Steeldude
12-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Bull.

I agree with pretty much everything else here, though he does catch with his hands at times. But saying that he doesn't "try" is out and out wrong. "Problem's focusing" and "not trying" are not synonymous. They're not even in the same ballpark.

It's not wrong at all. He did not try to catch Batch's 3rd down pass that was thrown about an inch short. Either he is completely retarded or he did not try. Do you see him fight for passes? I certainly do not see it. So I guess he accidentally doesn't fight for passes or he is just too damn dumb to realize he is supposed fight for the ball?

Yes, he catches with his hands at times, but it is difficult for him to do. It should be natural for a NFL WR. I learned to catch a football with my hands when I was 4.