PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's Steelers 6-1 after double digit losses.

zulater
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
L. @Patriots 34-13
L. Jacksonville 29-22

L @ Tennesee 31-14

W. 31-0 Cleveland

@ N.O. Saints 20-10

W @ Cincy 27-20

L.New England 39-26

W Oakland 35-3

L @ Baltimore 35-7

W Seattle 24-0

L @ San Fran 20-3

W St. Louis 27-0

L. @ Denver Broncos 31-19
W. N.Y. Jets 27-10

L. S.D Chargers 34-24

? @ Dallas Cowboys

zulater
12-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I guess I would have got more traction out of this if I would have posted it differently?

Since the start of the 2008 season, in situation's where the Steelers have lost by 10 or more POINTS( aka blowout losses) the Steelers are 6-0 in the following game with the average margin of victory being 23.5 points.

tube517
12-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I guess I would have got more traction out of this if I would have posted it differently. How would this have sounded?

Since the start of the 2008 season, in situation's where the Steelers have lost by 10 or more POINTS( aka blowout losses) the Steelers are 6-0 in the next game with the average margin of victory being 23.5 points.

Better?

We'll let you know after this Sunday. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Has Tomlin ever been better than 6-2 in his starts? We could be in for a world of hurt on Sunday. We better be prepared to score at least 35 points.

Also, the quality of the opponents in the week following were not very good. Romo usually falls apart in December, but if LeBeau doesn't bring pressure and if the players are not successful in achieving that pressure, our secondary is going to be in for a looonnnnnnnng afternoon.

zulater
12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Has Tomlin ever been better than 6-2 in his starts? We could be in for a world of hurt on Sunday. We better be prepared to score at least 35 points.

Also, the quality of the opponents in the week following were not very good. Romo usually falls apart in December, but if LeBeau doesn't bring pressure and if the players are not successful in achieving that pressure, our secondary is going to be in for a looonnnnnnnng afternoon.

The 2010 Radiers, the 2011 Seahawks, and this year's Jets team are all fairly similar to this year's Cowboys team in accomplishment.

smokin3000gt
12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
What I see is a pattern of get beat by a good team, take it out on a bad team.

zulater
12-13-2012, 05:59 PM
I think the thing you're missing here is that it's not about the quality of the opponent. Because as we all know even when the Steelers don't lose to inferior competition they usually let them hang around to the end. In other words how many blowouts have the Steelers been the victors in lately? This probably constitutes about half of them. So what this tells me is that when the Steelers get their ass handed to them they seem to get their focus where it needs to be and come out ready to kick ass the next week!

Moose
12-13-2012, 06:09 PM
But IF, and that's a big IF, the Steeler's can scrap up a win against the cowboys can they then come back and beat the bungholes....the team they NEED to beat ? This year's team does not let us fans rest and be comfortable...bottom feeder's come in and hand our asses to us, then good teams come in and we win. The next 3 weeks are going to be nail biters. I just have a feeling the division and wild card # 6 is going to be determined the final game.

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I hope you are right Zu. And that would just make this year of frustration even worse. The only way this team can focus is when they get their ass whipped? That is just so sad.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2012, 07:49 PM
at least theres one encouraging trend in this matchup. It does suck that the cowboys have probably been about as lopsided about relying on the pass over the run to win games as any team in the league. Seriously, even with allen playing, that is the worst matchup in the game for us by a mile

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 08:46 PM
The secondary is going to be a HUGE concern. Taylor out, Cortez did not practice today and may not play Sunday.

So we are looking at Lewis and Brown/Victorian as our starting CB. Better get some pressure on Romo.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 08:49 PM
at least theres one encouraging trend in this matchup. It does suck that the cowboys have probably been about as lopsided about relying on the pass over the run to win games as any team in the league. Seriously, even with allen playing, that is the worst matchup in the game for us by a mile

Demarco Murrey missed a stretch of 5 games until a week or so ago and that is potentially why it has been so lopsided .... he can be a scary individual running the ball so being overly concerned about the pass could get us killed vs the run as well

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Demarco Murrey missed a stretch of 5 games until a week or so ago and that is potentially why it has been so lopsided .... he can be a scary individual running the ball so being overly concerned about the pass could get us killed vs the run as well

yeah he's real good but seems his injury is still bothering him, he isnt performing up to par. Cowboys probably wont care since they'll be able to take a hot steaming dump on our pass defense if allen ends up as a game scratch as well.

Seven
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
I guess I would have got more traction out of this if I would have posted it differently?

Since the start of the 2008 season, in situation's where the Steelers have lost by 10 or more POINTS( aka blowout losses) the Steelers are 6-0 in the following game with the average margin of victory being 23.5 points.

Is that something that is necessarily unique to the Steelers though? I have to think most of the consistently decent teams in this league have rather similar success after suffering a blowout loss.

86WARD
12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
2012 Cowboys >>>>>>> then any of those teams the Steelers beat following the double digit losses.

Not expecting much against the Cowboys.

86WARD
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Is that something that is necessarily unique to the Steelers though? I have to think most of the consistently decent teams in this league have rather similar success after suffering a blowout loss.

I know when teams get blown out by 40 or more, they are 15-17 the following week...if that helps...lol.

Edman
12-14-2012, 01:45 PM
2012 Cowboys >>>>>>> then any of those teams the Steelers beat following the double digit losses.

Not expecting much against the Cowboys.

Just as how none of us "didn't expect anything" against Baltimore after losing to the Browns.

GoSlash27
12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
The pattern does not in and of itself cause us to win games. Correlation <> causation. What happens is we get trounced by a team we were supposed to beat, pull our pants up, get serious, and go back out there with the proper mentality.
Will the pattern hold? Maybe, maybe not. I hope so, but what I'd really like to see is the *end* of this pattern; where we quit going out there flat against weak teams in the first place.

Count Steeler
12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Tomlin just can't do better than 6-2. This was a lock.

zulater
12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
At least the effort was there last week. If they had played with the same passion, focus, and determination against the Chargers, Titans, and Raiders they'd be in the division lead right now.