5th- Dennis dixon
6th- Humpal
6th- Mundy

ALLD
12-11-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3Iq3XQkAw

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

salamander
12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
1st- Mendenhall
2nd- Sweed
3rd- Bruce Davis
4th- Tony Hills
5th- Dennis dixon
6th- Humpal
7th- Mundy

I'm sure they thought that is was special the day after. But sometimes that day after glee doesn't look so good 4 years later.

steelreserve
12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm sure they thought that is was special the day after. But sometimes that day after glee doesn't look so good 4 years later.

Yeah, kind of like hooking up with a hot chick, then waking up the next day and finding out it was a dude. That about sums up that draft.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah, kind of like hooking up with a hot chick, then waking up the next day and finding out it was a dude. That about sums up that draft.

sounds like you have experience in that sort of thing http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/blink.gif

SteelerFanInStl
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
And to think that I was excited as HELL after that draft, mainly just because of Mendy and Sweed.

st33lersguy
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Literally all we are going to get out of this draft is 2 good years from an otherwise inconsistent and injury prone RB. 2 people remaining from that draft, Mendy for only another few months and Ryan Mundy who should have been cut a few years ago

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
thats probably the longest its taken me to give up on a player in a long time. but im letting mendenhall go

zulater
12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
sounds like you have experience in that sort of thing http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/blink.gif

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 07:49 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I'll be here all week lol

Edman
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Wasn't completely worthless. We got some production out of Mendenhall.

But yeah, sitnker of a draft. Can't win 'em all.

jb500ex
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
got to love the elite coaches statement after that draft about two ways of fixing a oline and 1 of them is drafting more skill position players. him and hois glasses should have been thrown to the curb then

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 08:39 PM
got to love the elite coaches statement after that draft about two ways of fixing a oline and 1 of them is drafting more skill position players. him and hois glasses should have been thrown to the curb then

:rolleyes:

Craic
12-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Kind of funny that next year, the only one of those that even has a chance of making it is Mundy, and that's a maybe at best.

Seven
12-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Bruce Davis was the biggest disappointment to me. Mendenhall is a decent back, albeit frustrating. And Sweed was a bust, but he had question marks coming in. I thought Davis was going to be a special kind of pass rusher. Instead, he's now a teammate of Ricardo Colclough in Canada :doh:

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 07:37 AM
1st- Mendenhall
2nd- Sweed
3rd- Bruce Davis
4th- Tony Hills
5th- Dennis dixon
6th- Humpal
6th- Mundy

to think we could have had something like this ...

Kenny Phillips DB
Ray Rice RB
Cliff Avril DE
Carl Nicks G
Pierre Garcon WR
Matt Flynn QB
Peyton Hillis RB

BlastFurnace
12-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Bruce Davis was the biggest disappointment to me. Mendenhall is a decent back, albeit frustrating. And Sweed was a bust, but he had question marks coming in. I thought Davis was going to be a special kind of pass rusher. Instead, he's now a teammate of Ricardo Colclough in Canada :doh:

Not me, my biggest disappointment was Sweed. I thought Sweed would be an absolute stud.

Mendenhall has produced. He's just a little bit strange and immature.

Edman
12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
to think we could have had something like this ...

Kenny Phillips DB
Ray Rice RB
Cliff Avril DE
Carl Nicks G
Pierre Garcon WR
Matt Flynn QB
Peyton Hillis RB

Yeah to think you could predict the future back then.

Butch
12-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Funny aint it when the draft pundits looked at the '74 draft they only had hope for our 1st rounder, and this one they thought we nailed a bunch of sure bets. Not knocking the pundits since I know next to nothing when it comes to the draft, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

GBMelBlount
12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I remember grading this draft very poorly on the old board I am thinking C- or D. I was really disgusted that we did not look at the Oline in the first two rounds. Value or not it was such a glaring need it should have been addressed then.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't completely worthless. We got some production out of Mendenhall.

But yeah, sitnker of a draft. Can't win 'em all.

Production?

Then I guess you could argue we got production out of Davenport too.

But that is probably more of a fecal matter.

steelerdude15
12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I think it's safe to say that this was the worst draft class of the Tomlin era so far. Lets hope we never have another one this bad.

ALLD
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I remember we got high marks for the draft by the pundits, as mentioned above. All those ratings shows and non-stop opinions are worthless. Strictly entertainment.

xtrainer58
12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Since the Steelers rely so heavily on the draft..... they can't afford drafts that net so little production .... they need to find a few more gems out there (Farrior , Clark types) for positions of need to supplement blown drafts ....

st33lersguy
12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Since the Steelers rely so heavily on the draft..... they can't afford drafts that net so little production .... they need to find a few more gems out there (Farrior , Clark types) for positions of need to supplement blown drafts ....

The problem is free agent signings are no sure thing either. Teams that rely most on the draft have the most team chemistry

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah to think you could predict the future back then.

yea if only , however I must admit I was pimping many on my list heavily on my old board and was not to happy with many of the selections we actually made ( but that is normal for me ) ...

I was only Luke warm on Mendenhall prior to the draft , was really concerned about the system he came from and the style he displayed , but moreso he had stated something to the effect that football was not his life or his lifes work something to that effect and that was a huge red flag to me coming from a kid who was expected to be the face of a franchise somewhere at the next level ... just not the sort of thing I want to hear from my first round selection before he ever gets his hands on a big payday and left more to imagine of what could happen after he did have that payday

Sweed I saw potential in but was suspect of his hands ( who would have known his head was perhaps worse ) but thought he had unlimited potential ( and still think he could have been great if his head wasn't so messed up ) and then the string of issues from eyes to Achilles

Davis ..I HATED the pick from the moment it was announced ...

Hills same thing he was not very good as a collegiate what made them think he could be even average as a pro ...

Oh hell lets cut to the chase the only Pick after Sweed I even half way liked was Dixon because I thought in time he could potentially develop into a solid backup or maybe even a WR if the QB thing did not work out and in the 5th round why not take a flier on a guy who is that athletic...

so if I am honest I could sort a kinda see it coming .....

xtrainer58
12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
The problem is free agent signings are no sure thing either. Teams that rely most on the draft have the most team chemistry

I agree the draft is the way to go .... but you can't always sit around waiting for some of these clowns to develop .... you need to supplement here and there to fill a void .... both Farrior and Clark were serviceable players before we got them , and they thrived in our system and brought some leadership along with their play .... we need a few more of these types

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
yea if only , however I must admit I was pimping many on my list heavily on my old board and was not to happy with many of the selections we actually made ( but that is normal for me ) ...

I was only Luke warm on Mendenhall prior to the draft , was really concerned about the system he came from and the style he displayed

what do you mean the system he came from and his style? He displayed potential elite talent across the board imo other than maybe breaking tackles. Biggest knock seemed like just his lone season as a starter/significant playing time.

Dwinsgames
12-14-2012, 07:27 AM
what do you mean the system he came from and his style? He displayed potential elite talent across the board imo other than maybe breaking tackles. Biggest knock seemed like just his lone season as a starter/significant playing time.

RB's coming from a spread system always make me nervous ( Dwyer did too but was not as concerned because he was a late round pick not a 1st round guy )

Mojouw
12-14-2012, 10:51 AM
RB's coming from a spread system always make me nervous ( Dwyer did too but was not as concerned because he was a late round pick not a 1st round guy )

To be fair, I'm almost certain there are a # of successful NFL running backs coming from spread offenses in college.

Second, I really feel that the offensive line (or lack thereof) stunted Mendenhall's growth. Let's assume that Mendenhall would have trouble adjusting to running in a standard NFL offense with its narrower offensive line splits and smaller holes. To be fair, regardless of the college offense, most backs face an adjustment to smaller holes that close quicker in the NFL; but again, let's assume this was a particularly large problem for Mendenhall. For most of his Steeler's career, he has rarely had holes to speak of and they often failed to appear where the play call suggested they would. I still argue that if given a decent line, Mendenhall has the talent to put up monster numbers. However, his mindset and other factors may prevent that from happening. Regardless, unless he dominates in the playoffs, his days as a Steeler are over.

Finally, on the 2008 draft, it looked good on paper for awhile. I remember when everyone was saying that the Steelers got the best RB and WR in the draft as well as a pass-rusher with a devastating first step and a QB with a Randall Cunningham ceiling. Oh. Well.