PDA

View Full Version : Mendy SUSPENDED

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 05:31 PM
The Steelers have suspended running back Rashard Mendenhallhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/rashard-mendenhall/3e1ac879-3146-46f4-946b-216532a371b1/) for one game for conduct detrimental to the team, it was announced today. Mendenhall will miss this weekend’s game at Dallas.
Mendenhall has played in just four games this year and has 113 yards rushing on 34 carries (3.3 avg.) with no touchdowns. He missed the first three games of this year with a knee injury and then missed four consecutive games with an Achilles injury. He was then inactive the past two games (Weeks 13-14).

The Steelers promoted Baron Batchhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/baron-batch/b18ae6d7-8bc6-488c-b73e-d55d99d6e045/) from their practice squad to fill Mendenhall’s roster spot. Batch spent the first 10 games of this year on the team’s active roster but was then signed to Pittsburgh’s practice squad for Weeks 12-14.

He is DONE in Pittsburgh for all those who where in hopes he resigned here for a " hometown discount"

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
You know, I am actually hoping that he got suspended for taking on Tomlin. If he challenged Mike, then good on him. Apparently, the one thing you can't do on this team is fumble. You can shit the bed anyway else you please, but don't fumble.

salamander
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM
What the hell did he do to get suspended?

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
He is DONE in Pittsburgh for all those who where in hopes he resigned here for a " hometown discount"

Yep. He's outta there.

Edman
12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Good as gone.

vader29
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Ed Bouchette‏@EdBouchette

#Steelers suspended Mendenhall bec after they told him he wd not dress vs. Chargers, he did not show up at Heinz Field, source says.

salamander
12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
I almost feel as if there's another reason other than his fumbles that he's not getting to play that we don't know about.

polamalubeast
12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
why not a trade Mendenhall for Jacobs!!!!

steeldawg
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
im glad he took a stand, guy works his ass off to comeback from a major injury and you treat him like garbage, you give his job away and then dont even let him put on a uniform. So it begs the question do guys really want to play for Mike T.

steelerdude15
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM

#Steelers suspended Mendenhall bec after they told him he wd not dress vs. Chargers, he did not show up at Heinz Field, source says.

If that's the case, he's good as gone. I think at this point, I've had enough of him.

primantibro1
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Are the Steelers playing a stupid game here to justify letting him go? I mean, sure he has written a few dumb texts but he seems like a pretty mild character. What could he have done? I mean he hasn't even been allowed to dress. All I know is I hope like hell he doesn't go to Indy (which he will) and light us up for 187 and 2 TDs with Arians.

Puke.

For all the success they always attribute to Colbert and Co. in the first round, there's another first rounder who ain't gonna be in the black and gold and quite frankly, I think he has been mishandled from day 1.

ALLD
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
He will go to the Cards.

steelerdude15
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
im glad he took a stand, guy works his ass off to comeback from a major injury and you treat him like garbage, you give his job away and then dont even let him put on a uniform. So it begs the question do guys really want to play for Mike T.

Yet he played poorly in the Cleveland and was benched for it. Not our fault he has a bad attitude.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 05:58 PM

gee I dunno , MAYBE ( and it has been said her 100 times at the very least ) the Trading deadline passed with Hurricane Sandy

steeldawg
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Yet he played poorly in the Cleveland and was benched for it. Not our fault he has a bad attitude.

Hes coming off an injury he had 4 carries ya he fumbled twice but everyone fumbled in that game. He is our best back you benched him point made but to keep our talent on the sidelines to make a point is stupid it just hurts the team. If i was a starting runninback, had a major injury then worked my way back to get on the field early had a good game reinjured myself, then came back and was rusty, then have my job given away my uniform stripped away all after getting 4 carries to work my way back, ya i would have a bad attitude too.

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
gee I dunno , MAYBE ( and it has been said her 100 times at the very least ) the Trading deadline passed with Hurricane Sandy

I think he was just joking.

polamalubeast
12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I think he was just joking.

this

Carolina Steelers
12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Wow I know hes disappointed by not playing but it's even worse when u don't dress, but u still should show up to stadium

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Christ. Either Tomlin is too much of a pussy to be a good coach, or he's too much of a hard ass to be one.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Tomlin is too much of a pussy to be a good coach.

This

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM

Well, your 2 favorite Steelers won't be, it seems.

stillers4me
12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
In Mendenhall's defense, none of his teammates showed up Sunday, either.

- - - Updated - - -

#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) Mendenhall will lose $41,176 for missing one game, one week of his $700,000 salary

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM

:applaudit::nw::applaudit:

steeldawg
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Well, your 2 favorite Steelers won't be, it seems.

No my 2 favorites are ben and heath, but mendy should be our starting running back without a doubt. I mean lets face it our running game is mediocre at best , mendy would certainly improve it with the skill set he has.

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:16 PM
No my 2 favorites are ben and heath, but mendy should be our starting running back without a doubt. I mean lets face it our running game is mediocre at best , mendy would certainly improve it with the skill set he has.

I wonder if Adrian Peterson would get 100 yards with our O Line. They were starting to gel there, but seems like the train if off the rails again.

stillers4me
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I wonder if Adrian Peterson would get 100 yards with our O Line. They were starting to gel there, but seems like the train if off the rails again.

That's what ticked me off so bad last night watching the Pats*. As soon as Brady* handed the ball off, it was like the parting of the Red Sea.

steeldawg
12-11-2012, 06:19 PM

I think he could adrian peterson falls out of bed and gets 100yds hes a monster. Hell we really dont even need a 100yd back just someone who will make the defense respect the play action pass.

katmandu
12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
In Mendenhall's defense, none of his teammates showed up Sunday, either.Good point. His teammates actually DID dress for the game as well!

SteelerFanInStl
12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Hes coming off an injury he had 4 carries ya he fumbled twice but everyone fumbled in that game. He is our best back you benched him point made but to keep our talent on the sidelines to make a point is stupid it just hurts the team. If i was a starting runninback, had a major injury then worked my way back to get on the field early had a good game reinjured myself, then came back and was rusty, then have my job given away my uniform stripped away all after getting 4 carries to work my way back, ya i would have a bad attitude too.

I gotta say that I agree with you. This sounds to me like a personal vendatta by Tomlin.

Mendy didn't play any worse than anyone else in that Cleveland game yet he was the only one sent to the inactive list for 2 weeks. As I said in the game day thread last week, benching him for one week made a point. Benching him for 2 was ridiculous.

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
That's what ticked me off so bad last night watching the Pats*. As soon as Brady* handed the ball off, it was like the parting of the Red Sea.

Got to hand it to the Pats, they have a very consistently good O Line. No wonder Brady can read a book and wait for open receivers.

steelreserve
12-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Well, that's one way to guarantee you get punished.

Still, there was something going on before this that was about more than fumbling the ball a couple of times. I can only guess what was going on, other than one/both of them are dickheads who can't get along with each other.

polamalubeast
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Peterson....yes...He is so good

stillers4me
12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot
#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) Mendenhall stands to lose $275,000 roster bonus if not on the roster for the last game of the regular season. http://burgh.us/itw (http://t.co/kRqsXIhI)

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I hope like hell he doesn't go to Indy (which he will) and light us up for 187 and 2 TDs with Arians.

Puke.

For all the success they always attribute to Colbert and Co. in the first round, there's another first rounder who ain't gonna be in the black and gold and quite frankly, I think he has been mishandled from day 1.

dont worry, mendenhall never has and never will be capable of putting those kinds of numbers up. And if he ever does, he'll just disappear for about 6 weeks before he hits 100 ever again, just like he did for us.

This

Oh yeah, because mike ran such a cute minicamp and wasnt a hardass or anything his 1st season

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot
#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) Mendenhall stands to lose $275,000 roster bonus if not on the roster for the last game of the regular season. http://burgh.us/itw (http://t.co/kRqsXIhI)

Things that make you go hmmm.

salamander
12-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I still think there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I still think there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

In more areas than the running game. Starting with the odd timed firing of the special teams coach.

stillers4me
12-11-2012, 06:42 PM
This wasn't the first time Tomlin benched Mendenhall to light a fire under his butt. He always seems to come back strong and then disappears. That's why I've never been a big fan of Mendy's. great players don't need that kind of motivation. It's time to move on....but that just means another need to address in the draft. And as usual, we have more needs than we can address in one draft and something will get neglegted.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
to think we could have had CJ2k 1 pick later , or Ray Rice by trading out of the first round acquiring more picks and taking him in the 2nd ... or Jamaal Charles in the 3rd .... instead we got Mendy

stillers4me
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
And in reality, the last thing we need right now is more drama. We need FOCUS.

salamander
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
In more areas than the running game. Starting with the odd timed firing of the special teams coach.

Yepp. It's definitely been a weird season.

steelerdiva
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Christ. Either Tomlin is too much of a pussy to be a good coach, or he's too much of a hard ass to be one.

This.

- - - Updated - - -

And in reality, the last thing we need right now is more drama. We need FOCUS.

True dat...leave the drama up to Gang Green up in NYC.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 07:18 PM
This.

- - - Updated - - -

what is posted here has zero effect on what happens with the team itself , so with that in mind carry on

GoSlash27
12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Mendy didn't play any worse than anyone else in that Cleveland game yet he was the only one sent to the inactive list for 2 weeks. As I said in the game day thread last week, benching him for one week made a point. Benching him for 2 was ridiculous.

This is what tells me that it doesn't have anything to do with the fumbles. Mendy got benched for an attitude adjustment because he said or did something he shouldn't have, and it was bad enough the organization had no choice but to take official notice of it. We don't know what that was, and I doubt we ever will. All we can do is speculate, and there's not much point to that because we'll never know the real story.
If I had to guess, it was probably something like he squared off against one of the coaches.

BlountForceTrauma
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Well folks I am new to this board but just let me say that I'm really glad to see Mendy go. He's more of liability than an asset at this stage. I've never really been a fan of his for whatever reason anyway but I didn't see things ending this way. Tomlin must REALLY not like this guy or this guy must REALLY not like Tomlin.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
what is posted here has zero effect on what happens with the team itself , so with that in mind carry on

Clearly, mendenhall's suspension itself is drama

Heinz Hitman
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I will be glad to see the bum gone. He is 3rd best back on this team at best. He runs scared, has one good game and then 6 bad ones, can't hold onto the ball, and seems to have somewhat of a personality disorder. Buh Bye!

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Well folks I am new to this board but just let me say that I'm really glad to see Mendy go. He's more of liability than an asset at this stage. I've never really been a fan of his for whatever reason anyway but I didn't see things ending this way. Tomlin must REALLY not like this guy or this guy must REALLY not like Tomlin.

Welcome to the board.

This has been a very atypical Steeler year.

BlountForceTrauma
12-11-2012, 07:35 PM

He's also suspended by the 9ers right now. He's been complaining about not getting enough playing time.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the board.

Oh for sure dude! Apparently I got banned from "thesteelersfans.com" for absolutely NOTHING! I'm really surprised about it because I was on there all the time but apparently this board is better anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the board.

Are there live gameday threads here?

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 07:48 PM

welcome over here , I think you will like this considering where you came from ..this site is far more user friendly IMO

- - - Updated - - -

look the site over , there is a section of forum for just about any topic

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Mike McCartney, Mendenhall's agent, said the player will serve his suspension and then return to them next Monday in good spirits.

The suspension will cost Mendenhall $41,176, which is one week's (1/17th) worth of his $700,000 salary.

"What's happened, happened," McCartney told the Post-Gazette. "When I spoke to Rashard, I know he is very excited next Monday to rejoin his teammates. He's going to come back with great energy to do everything he can to help the Pittsburgh Steelers win football games."

Mendenhall missed most of his rookie season when, in the fourth game, Ray Lewis hit him and fractured his shoulder. He went on to lead the Steelers in rushing with 1,108 yards in 2009. He rushed for 1,273 yards in 2010. He had 928 yards rushing last season when his ACL was torn in the final regular season game at Cleveland after eight carries.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-suspend-rb-mendenhall-for-one-game-665918/#ixzz2EnY94Pgz

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we have a game day section. All are welcome to join in.

steelerdude15

I can't argue with the fact that he's our best back; I completely agree. I would be bummed too if I worked my way back and was benched again. Here's why I thought benching him was a good idea: 1) he plays with passion after being bench and works his butt off and 2) Johnny is running better at this point and time. Gotta hand it to Johnny, he's done a better job than Mendy when they both play.

smokin3000gt

Yes, in the game day section on the main forum.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/15-Game-Day

Welcome to SU btw!

steelerdude15
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
He's also suspended by the 9ers right now. He's been complaining about not getting enough playing time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh for sure dude! Apparently I got banned from "thesteelersfans.com" for absolutely NOTHING! I'm really surprised about it because I was on there all the time but apparently this board is better anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes; welcome to the board!

Moose
12-11-2012, 07:58 PM

LMAO !

Moose
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Well folks I am new to this board but just let me say that I'm really glad to see Mendy go.

Howdy...and welcome !!

zulater
12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't know what some of you guys are talking about?

Mendy hasn't been the Steelers best running back since 2010. In running back years that's half a career ago.

zulater
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Evil Mike Tomlin tweet.

Due to Mendenhall being suspended we brought up Charlie's son Baron Batch from the practice squad
:rofl2:
https://twitter.com/EvilMikeTomlin

XxKnightxX
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
I lost any hope in him after "the fumble" in the Super Bowl, hell show areas of brilliance, but will find ways to flatten our momentum.

Mike Tomlin isn't winning any points on my end. He's got to get a grip on his team , he's losing them.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

steelerdiva
12-11-2012, 08:44 PM

If this is you trying to be clever...FAIL.

jb500ex
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
This.

- - - Updated - - -

well lets look at how rex was voted the coach players wanted top play for a couple years ago by a huge margin and now this year it was tomlin. if you pay close attention its not hard to see how this will go

86WARD
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Good. Glad to see that money being saved. Officially makes that draft class a wasted year.

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
well lets look at how rex was voted the coach players wanted top play for a couple years ago by a huge margin and now this year it was tomlin. if you pay close attention its not hard to see how this will go

Yeah, some idiotic players poll that doesn't mean shit is really a great barometer of a head coach's career arc. Please.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I think Tomlin and the coaching staff did Rashard wrong this year. Not excusing not attending the fame, but he was done wrong before this past weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I am actually hoping that he got suspended for taking on Tomlin. If he challenged Mike, then good on him. Apparently, the one thing you can't do on this team is fumble. You can shit the bed anyway else you please, but don't fumble.

Amen!!! I dislike Tomlin more and more every year.

zulater
12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Mendy's career began to unravel the moment I made him my first round pick for my FFL team back in 2011.

To prove I haven't lost my touch I made Maurice Jones Drew my number one pick this year. :chuckle:

tube517
12-11-2012, 09:14 PM

He's a hard ass pussy. :chuckle:

BlountForceTrauma
12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Yes, in the game day section on the main forum.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/15-Game-Day

Welcome to SU btw!
Thanks dude! And BTW LOL to the fact that you are a right wing extremist! Can I join you?

86WARD
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Did he make any interesting comments via Twitter?

BlastFurnace
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Adrian better not fumble or 120lb Chris Rainey will get his goal line carries.

steelerdiva
12-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Sometimes you have issues with your boss (or in this case, coach). But you still show up and do your job. It's called being a professional.

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Adrian better not fumble or 120lb Chris Rainey will get his goal line carries.

Too true, and too sad.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM

You'll get mad every time you watch them then. They know how to play offense and bury teams.

stillers4me
12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
You'll get mad every time you watch them then. They know how to play offense and bury teams.

Yep. I do. :chuckle:

vader29
12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/23724_10151412941425809_5912533_n.jpg

Steeldude
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

I always had a feeling he was a baby. A wasted draft pick. The Steelers should have never went for a RB in the first round.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I always had a feeling he was a baby. A wasted draft pick. The Steelers should have never went for a RB in the first round.

or selected one not named Mendenhall , the very next selection was Chris Johnson , in the second round that year Ray Rice , in round 3 Jamaal Charles ....

Shoes
12-11-2012, 10:56 PM
or selected one not named Mendenhall , the very next selection was Chris Johnson , in the second round that year Ray Rice , in round 3 Jamaal Charles ....

....that's enough to make one sick!

oneforthetoe
12-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Evil Mike Tomlin tweet.

Due to Mendenhall being suspended we brought up Charlie's great grandson Baron Batch from the practice squad
:rofl2:
https://twitter.com/EvilMikeTomlin

I fixed the quote.

Heinz Hitman
12-12-2012, 05:11 AM
I don't know what some of you guys are talking about?

Mendy hasn't been the Steelers best running back since 2010. In running back years that's half a career ago.

This.

LLT
12-12-2012, 05:51 AM
We have jettisoned better players than Mendenhall due to attitude issues....this too shall pass.

Do You know what sooths a wasted 1st round pick at running back in 2008? A better running back picked up as a sixth rounder in 2010.

Steeldude
12-12-2012, 06:07 AM
2008 turned out to be a horrible draft, as many of us predicted.

Rashard Mendenhall - Not a position of need. Overrated RB coming out of the spread. Afraid of contact.
Limas Sweed - Good value pick, but turned out to be a dud.
Bruce Davis - Moronic pick.
Tony Hills - Worse than the Bruce Davis pick.
Dennis Dixon - Another running QB experiment. When will they learn?
Mike Humpal - Who? Late round pick no big deal.
Ryan Mundy - Still on the team. I guess that isn't bad for a 7th round pick.

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 06:14 AM
....that's enough to make one sick!

isn't it though

86WARD
12-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Just think where the Steelers might be had they drafted 3-5 players in 2008 that would actually be contributing in defense or offense...

Players like Chris Johnson, Kenny Phillips, Jordy Nelson, Matt Forte, Tracy Porter. Would be nice to have Forte running the ball and Porter across from Ike...not to mention Carl Nicks on the OLine...

Instead...Mendenhall not running, Sweed not catching and Bruce Davis not rushing and QB...

Steeldude
12-12-2012, 07:06 AM
The Bruce Davis and Tony Hills picks are the real head-scratchers, IMO.

86WARD
12-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Just thinking of this draft as a whole turns my stomach but the Bruce Davis pick...makes me throw up in my mouth...

Moose
12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
He's pissed me off since the fumble in the GB Super Bowl game. No other comment.

Moose
12-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Exactly ! I can't stand the Pat's and Brady, but you have to admit they know how to manhandle teams, and very seldom will you see them lose to BOTTOM FEEDERS !! They hit them hard early and keep hitting, and hitting, and hitting....then put their foot on their throat for the kill. Sure do wish our coach could instill that in our players. GO STEELERS

primantibro1
12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

You know what bothered me about him... I remember not long after rookie camp, a story was reported that Mendy and a girl he was with were jumped by a river walk or something back in Michigan or Chicago or something. They took his watch and his wallet. Now, granted, if there is a gun (not sure) involved, anybody can get jumped. It's the intangible emotion I had after reading it that always stuck with me.

I think it had to do with the "aura" that I supposed Mendy had about him. I mean, a 5'10" 220 pound guy, ripped from head to toe, doesn't say to the average mugger "come and get me." Not that it couldn't happen to Harrison, or Woodley, or Redman, or someone else ... but it is harder to imagine. I remember feeling violated like "our 1st round draft pick just got mugged?" Sure, call me a douche for saying it, and tell me how ridiculous I am, and how they would have taken the same from me PLUS the girl. And you might be right.

The only reason I am saying this is that it marked the first time I had the feeling that our top pick was soft. The feeling never departed. Even his up one game down one game inconsistency - when he was "doing good." No tenacity. He got his shoulder broken by Ray Lewis after some texting controversy. Kid just seems to get ass-whupped at all levels. Jerome Bettis didn't get victimized and he ran over guys like Ray Lewis. Not sure of my point here ... I guess it's just that I suppose that he showed his colors early and leopards typically don't change their spots.

Put Ward's spirit in Mendenhall's body, you have a potential hall of famer. With Mendy's spirit in Mendy's body, you have a really athletic writer of Haiku. That's about it.

steelreserve
12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
You know what bothered me about him... I remember not long after rookie camp, a story was reported that Mendy and a girl he was with were jumped by a river walk or something back in Michigan or Chicago or something. They took his watch and his wallet. Now, granted, if there is a gun (not sure) involved, anybody can get jumped. It's the intangible emotion I had after reading it that always stuck with me.

I think it had to do with the "aura" that I supposed Mendy had about him. I mean, a 5'10" 220 pound guy, ripped from head to toe, doesn't say to the average mugger "come and get me." Not that it couldn't happen to Harrison, or Woodley, or Redman, or someone else ... but it is harder to imagine. I remember feeling violated like "our 1st round draft pick just got mugged?" Sure, call me a douche for saying it, and tell me how ridiculous I am, and how they would have taken the same from me PLUS the girl. And you might be right.

The only reason I am saying this is that it marked the first time I had the feeling that our top pick was soft. The feeling never departed. Even his up one game down one game inconsistency - when he was "doing good." No tenacity. He got his shoulder broken by Ray Lewis after some texting controversy. Kid just seems to get ass-whupped at all levels. Jerome Bettis didn't get victimized and he ran over guys like Ray Lewis. Not sure of my point here ... I guess it's just that I suppose that he showed his colors early and leopards typically don't change their spots.

Put Ward's spirit in Mendenhall's body, you have a potential hall of famer. With Mendy's spirit in Mendy's body, you have a really athletic writer of Haiku. That's about it.

Heh ... yeah, Bettis would've shown you how to get mugged like a MAN.

Edman
12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I knew Mendenhall was soft, but a mugging isn't a proper barometer of on-field toughness. Yeah, what a pussy Rashard is, getting mugged.

GoSlash27
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
UPDATE: Mike Tomlin has issued a statement regarding Mendenhall:

“Obviously, there is frustration with this situation, understandably, but we all have a job to do. I require all guys to remain professional regardless of personal circumstances. He didn‘t meet the standard in that regard and accepted the consequences of it. So hopefully this will be a lesson learned not only for him but for everyone and we will be able to move on from it. Right now, our focus is the guys who are here and their preparation in an effort to pursue victory this weekend.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3124671-85/tomlin-mendenhall-game#axzz2EsN1AKKY

SteelerFanInStl
12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
UPDATE: Mike Tomlin has issued a statement regarding Mendenhall:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3124671-85/tomlin-mendenhall-game#axzz2EsN1AKKY

Sounds to me like he's only talking about why he was suspended. I want to know why he was inactivated for 2 games in a row.

86WARD
12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
So he didn't think he had to show up Sunday? lol...

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
So he didn't think he had to show up Sunday? lol...

yea , guess he got it confused with the OT rules or something ( it amazes me players haven't a clue about a lot of this stuff )

oneforthetoe
12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I can't believe posters sticking up for Mendy like he didn't show up to teach Tomlin to be a better coach. Or, to strike a blow for the underdog against the man. Seriously? He didn't show up because he is whiny ass little puss, who has never fully achieved what his talent says he can because of his lack of discipline, drive and attitude. Most pure talent at RB on the team? Yes. However, because of the aforementioned issues, I say so long. I think we have the talent on the team at RB if we can fix our o'line problems. And if not, a running back is the easiest position to find talent in the lower rounds.

touchdownward
12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Hell, Duce Staley wore a warmup for 2 years on the sideline, but he still showed up.:)

86WARD
12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd take Duce and the sweat suit any daover some of the garbage on the team...lol

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Sounds to me like he's only talking about why he was suspended. I want to know why he was inactivated for 2 games in a row.

You 'n' me both, but as I said earlier I doubt we'll ever know that.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 12:38 PM

maybe he tried to hump Tomlin ? http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/aha.gif

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mendenhall-has-one-foot-out-door-in-Pittsburgh.html

“When I first got here, I thought that I wanted play with one team,” said Mendenhall, who said a change of scenery might be best for him. “With a lot of how I‘ve been represented football-wise, I‘m closed off and to myself.
“I don‘t say a lot or do a lot, and because of that, people really don‘t know who I am. They really can‘t read me. So it‘s up to others to interpret who I am.

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mendenhall-has-one-foot-out-door-in-Pittsburgh.html

I suppose that answers that.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
I suppose that answers that.

good. now we can focus on more important priorities like keenan lewis and wallace if we can

Seven
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Because he has no value to a team if he's not the featured back? Doesn't play special teams.

Craic
12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow, if that doesn't sound like Burress after the 2004 season, I don't know what does.

tube517
12-13-2012, 05:26 PM

“When I first got here, I thought that I wanted play with one team,” said Mendenhall, who said a change of scenery might be best for him. “With a lot of how I‘ve been represented football-wise, I‘m closed off and to myself.

Whatever....does he even want to play football anywhere and put the work and training in? :noidea:

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Will be interesting to see where he ends up and how much the rest of the NFL would be willing to pay for Rash. I don't think RBs are much sought after like they used to be. Besides, you could probably pick up a decent back in the 3-5 rounds of the draft, and hopefully he would have a better attitude than Rash.

Steeldude
12-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Poor performance.

IMO, Mendenhall probably didn't care about the fumbles. I personally think he is a pussy.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Whatever....does he even want to play football anywhere and put the work and training in? :noidea:

am I the only one who remembers a pre draft interview with him where he comes right out and says Football is not the most important thing in his life ? ( you know those 4 -5 min sit down clips of the top prospects )

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 06:19 PM
am I the only one who remembers a pre draft interview with him where he comes right out and says Football is not the most important thing in his life ? ( you know those 4 -5 min sit down clips of the top prospects )

Possibly. I certainly don't remember that.
Come to think of it... I can't remember what anybody has ever said in *any* pre-draft interview. Senility's a bitch...

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 06:19 PM

You think somebody on the draft team would have brought this to their attention and left him for a later round "maybe" pick.

stillers4me
12-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_TribSteelers will never release Mendenhall, nor should they, because of this reason (Corrected version) http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/42a6b654-fca9-4c33-b463-d6625ccdb699/?source=twitter … (http://t.co/UmVPAMF1)

You ask what is the use of holding onto suspended RB Rashard Mendenhall Read more at the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review › (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3124671-85/mendenhall-team-steelers#axzz2EQd7FOI6)with only a couple weeks left in the season and the former soon-to-be free agent likely to sign somewhere else in the offseason?

There is a huge reason why they would never release him now -- compensatory pick.

The Steelers will likely be in line for either a 3rd or 4th-round compensatory pick in the 2014 draft if/when Mendenhall leaves via free agency, depending on the compensatory value of Mendenhall -- a former first-round pick -- determined by the NFL.

So that's why the Steelers won't consider releasing Mendenhall

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I really don't expect him to get a major contract.

SteelerFanInStl
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Poor performance.

IMO, Mendenhall probably didn't care about the fumbles. I personally think he is a pussy.

It wasn't poor performance because he's barely played this year.

I do think that it was probably something about his attitude. Maybe he didn't seem to care enough about the fumbles and that pissed off Tomlin.

He does seem to be somewhat of an introvert, like Ricky Williams, and that's normally not good for a professional athlete.

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_TribSteelers will never release Mendenhall, nor should they, because of this reason (Corrected version) http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/42a6b654-fca9-4c33-b463-d6625ccdb699/?source=twitter … (http://t.co/UmVPAMF1)

Good catch. So if Mendy's all-but-gone, then there's not really any point in discussing this.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Possibly. I certainly don't remember that.
Come to think of it... I can't remember what anybody has ever said in *any* pre-draft interview. Senility's a bitch...

it was said , I have been looking for that clip all over the net for two days but can not find it , so much on the suspension to sift through it is labor intensive ...was in hopes someone remembered it besides me ... I too have memory issues but some things STICK like glue , this is one of them

Count Steeler
12-13-2012, 06:41 PM
But, in what would be his final appearance in the Rose Bowl, Mendenhall rushed for 168 yards on 17 carries and caught five passes for 59 yards against the Trojans. That performance is what caught the attention of most NFL teams, including the Steelers, even though coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert never thought Mendenhall would be around when they picked 23rd overall. That's one of the reasons they didn't meet with him for one of the 30 pre-draft interviews.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/the-no-one-pick-rashard-mendenhall-391329/#ixzz2EyxhHpPQ

You think, maybe, they should have at least talked to him?

Physical attributes abound, great college performances abound. If the kid doesn't have the mental fortitude or drive, he is not going to do well in the NFL.

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 06:49 PM
it was said , I have been looking for that clip all over the net for two days but can not find it , so much on the suspension to sift through it is labor intensive ...was in hopes someone remembered it besides me ... I too have memory issues but some things STICK like glue , this is one of them

Oh, I'm not doubting you. Just saying that that's such an obscure piece of information that you may well be the only one who remembers it.

*EDIT*
Just outta curiosity, did you happen to remember that interview because it raised warning flags, or do you just generally remember them? Either way, kudos.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 06:53 PM
one thing that sticks in my mind too is looking at all the profiles done on Mendy prior to the draft almost all of them have 1 thing in common ( lots of them still on the net to look at too ) but that 1 thing is something he has lacked his entire career in Pittsburgh .... STRONG INSIDE RUNNER keeps his feet moving after contact and always falls ahead for that extra yard ..... not since the rose bowl have we seen that on a consistent basis .

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
What I remember is that when he first started getting carries, people were complaining that he was too impatient and didn't wait for the holes to develop. He got coached on that... and ended up being the guy who dances around in the backfield too much.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh, I'm not doubting you. Just saying that that's such an obscure piece of information that you may well be the only one who remembers it.

*EDIT*
Just outta curiosity, did you happen to remember that interview because it raised warning flags, or do you just generally remember them? Either way, kudos.

I remember it because I was flabbergasted that a kid looking to be drafted in the first round would be dumb enough to say such a thing all the while asking for millions of dollars to play a game and thought to myself that could very well cost you a few of those millions you have yet to pocket ....then we drafted him a few days later http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/bag.gif

43Hitman
12-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Nope, I saw and remember that. It sent up a red flag with me as well, although I don't remember commenting on it. I think I just figured that once we got him to camp that he would buy in like most pro athletes do.

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 07:28 PM
I remember it because I was flabbergasted that a kid looking to be drafted in the first round would be dumb enough to say such a thing all the while asking for millions of dollars to play a game and thought to myself that could very well cost you a few of those millions you have yet to pocket ....then we drafted him a few days later http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/bag.gif

Whelp... there ya go. Good eye.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Nope, I saw and remember that. It sent up a red flag with me as well, although I don't remember commenting on it. I think I just figured that once we got him to camp that he would buy in like most pro athletes do.

Glad I am not the only one who remembers it

Shoes
12-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Poor performance.

:chuckle:

fansince'76
12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
He does seem to be somewhat of an introvert, like Ricky Williams, and that's normally not good for a professional athlete.

I'll tell Kareem you said that. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM

yeah? what's your point? football shouldnt be the most important thing in anyone's life.

Troy has said a million times outright that football isnt the most important thing in his life. You telling us you got a problem with that?

Dwinsgames
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
yeah? what's your point? football shouldnt be the most important thing in anyone's life.

Troy has said a million times outright that football isnt the most important thing in his life. You telling us you got a problem with that?

the way it was said in the interview it made it seem like he didn't care one way or the other , I guess you had to have seen it for it to make total sense ... its like saying yea I like the game but whatever it don't really matter I can do something else ..no passion about it

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 09:24 PM

It should be if you're gonna be a professional football player. Especially if you're a young one. I was thinking along the same lines, and that's where I ended up.
Somebody who's focus is on football is bound to be self-motivated to prove that he's the best every week. Someone who doesn't see it as the center of his entire identity... not so much.
Polamalu is a slightly different creature. He's a very religious/ spiritual man, and that keeps him grounded. His number 1 priority is his faith, and that leads him to be self-motivated, just from a different direction.
I agree with Dwins. Any young player who doesn't define himself by how he plays ball is a potential landmine.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Polamalu is a slightly different creature. He's a very religious/ spiritual man, and that keeps him grounded. His number 1 priority is his faith, and that leads him to be self-motivated, just from a different direction.
I agree with Dwins. Any young player who doesn't define himself by how he plays ball is a potential landmine.

He's the same creature, just a better football player. What makes you think his faith leads him to be self motivated? That can easily have zero correlation, that's just an assumption you're making because everyone of us loves troy, on and off the field. No one knows if troy's #1 priority was or wasnt his faith when he was just coming into the league. Yes, he converted to greek orthodox in 2007, but he's been a christian longer than that. The well being of one's friends, family, and faith (if you believe in something) are far more important than anything else in the world regardless of what you do. I find it hard to believe that any of you would place your job above any of those 3. Hell, almost all of you probably have a more important job than Mendenhall. He plays a game for a living remember. Mendenhall needs to get his head out of his ass but nothing wrong with saying football isnt number one in your life. Were just knitpicking here because we hate him on and off the field imo, the polar opposite of polamalu.

GoSlash27
12-13-2012, 10:18 PM
A lot to go over here...

He's the same creature, just a better football player. What makes you think his faith leads him to be self motivated? That can easily have zero correlation,...
Not for someone that takes it to the level that he does. His whole life is literally centered on his faith. I'm not like that myself, but I can't deny that people like that are completely humble and 100% motivated. Even if they are a little weird...

that's just an assumption you're making because everyone of us loves troy, on and off the field. No one knows if troy's #1 priority was or wasnt his faith when he was just coming into the league. Yes, he converted to greek orthodox in 2007, but he's been a christian longer than that.
Hey, I'm leery of anyone who isn't a die- hard Steelers fan right out the gate, but I can't argue with the results.

The well being of one's friends, family, and faith (if you believe in something) are far more important than anything else in the world regardless of what you do. I find it hard to believe that any of you would place your job above any of those 3. Hell, almost all of you probably have a more important job than Mendenhall.
Yeah, what I do is much more important than running around with a ball, but you're conflating what's effective for an NFL player with what's effective for the rest of us. In my field, it's all about inquisitiveness, problem solving, and knowledge. I don't have to be super-motivated because I literally have specialized knowledge that can't be reproduced by anyone else on the planet. That earns me my pay check ( which is nowhere near his pay check).
Football players are different. The key to their success is motivation, and motivation can be assessed from other markers.

He plays a game for a living remember. Mendenhall needs to get his head out of his ass but nothing wrong with saying football isnt number one in your life. Were just knitpicking here because we hate him on and off the field imo, the polar opposite of polamalu.

To the contrary, I don't have any hate for Mendy at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I identify with him. I have a notorious anti-authority streak; especially when it comes to stupid authority. That's fine for what I do, and arguably an advantage. But it's not a plus for an NFL running back.

steeldawg
12-14-2012, 04:58 AM
I have no problem a player saying football is not the most important thing in his life, in fact i think if you asked most players or coaches they would tell you that. Its tough to question mendys commitment to the game, hes played football all his life, played in college, was drafted first round in the nfl draft, was pretty good in this league as a starting back, you really dont do all that without a love for the game or a commitment to the game. Is there really a difference between a guy whos number one priorty is faith or a guys number one priorty is fishing? I dont think so, however a man chooses to prioritize the loves in his life is his business, I dont think it effects wether hes good at his job or not.

LLT
12-14-2012, 05:17 AM
I have no problem a player saying football is not the most important thing in his life, in fact i think if you asked most players or coaches they would tell you that. Its tough to question mendys commitment to the game, hes played football all his life, played in college, was drafted first round in the nfl draft, was pretty good in this league as a starting back, you really dont do all that without a love for the game or a commitment to the game. Is there really a difference between a guy whos number one priorty is faith or a guys number one priorty is fishing? I dont think so, however a man chooses to prioritize the loves in his life is his business, I dont think it effects wether hes good at his job or not.

Yes ....and no.

if a players commitment is based on getting a huge paycheck...then whats his motivation after getting the contract? There has BETTER be an inherent love for the competition...for proving oneself...to being elite.

Otherwise your motivation and commitement lasts only as long as your drive to the bank.

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Yes ....and no.

if a players commitment is based on getting a huge paycheck...then whats his motivation after getting the contract? There has BETTER be an inherent love for the competition...for proving oneself...to being elite.

Otherwise your motivation and commitement lasts only as long as your drive to the bank.

Well i dont think you get to this level of football without having a love for competition or a love for the game. Of course players motivation is going to be for big pay checks, this is their job and alot of these guys are trying to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. I dont think a motivation for a big contract, or not making football number one priority in ur life equals not loving the game.

zulater
12-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Well i dont think you get to this level of football without having a love for competition or a love for the game. Of course players motivation is going to be for big pay checks, this is their job and alot of these guys are trying to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. I dont think a motivation for a big contract, or not making football number one priority in ur life equals not loving the game.

Actually that's quite wrong. I've known and heard of quite a few players who thought of football as nothing more than an means to an ends and have no real love or passion for the game. Curtis Martin pretty much made that point in his Hall of Fame induction speech just last year in fact.

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Actually that's quite wrong. I've known and heard of quite a few players who thought of football as nothing more than an means to an ends and have no real love or passion for the game. Curtis Martin pretty much made that point in his Hall of Fame induction speech just last year in fact.

Ok maybe love is the wrong, how about commitment.

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=zulater;343737]Actually that's quite wrong. I've known and heard of quite a few players who thought of football as nothing more than an means to an ends and have no real love or passion for the game. Curtis Martin pretty much made that point in his Hall of Fame induction speech just last year in fact.[/QUOTE

I dont think you could really question Martins commitment to his job and even though its a means to an end he still obviously put enough into it to reach the hall of fame. So i dont think you can make a judgement on what type of player a guy is going to be just because football is not his number one priority.

zulater
12-15-2012, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=zulater;343737]Actually that's quite wrong. I've known and heard of quite a few players who thought of football as nothing more than an means to an ends and have no real love or passion for the game. Curtis Martin pretty much made that point in his Hall of Fame induction speech just last year in fact.[/QUOTE

I dont think you could really question Martins commitment to his job and even though its a means to an end he still obviously put enough into it to reach the hall of fame. So i dont think you can make a judgement on what type of player a guy is going to be just because football is not his number one priority.

There's quite a few players throughout the league just going through the motions just for a paycheck. Some are even Pro Bowl level players. Such is their talnet level.

But that doesn't mean I put Mendy in that category. He's a bit of a strange dude, for a football player, but I don't think he lacks commitment. I think his biggest problem in Pittsburgh is offensive scheme. He needs to be in a zone blocking type scheme in order to maximize his cut back abilites. Put him in Houston and while he wouldn't be Arain Foster, he wouldn't be far from it either.

I really thought and hoped that Haley's sytem would take advantage of Mendy's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Get him in space and he's a dynamic player. But due to injuries and other factors that snowballed against him this year all we got was a glimpse of what could have been against the Eagles.

Anyway bottom line I don't think anyone is completely right or wrong in this argument. It just didn't work here for Mendy the last couple seasons. Maybe part of it goes back to the Super Bowl fumble? I don't really know? Momentum lost is hard to regain, and the career momentum Mendy took into SB XV has mostly dissappeared.

I don't think he wants to remain in Pittsburgh, nor do I get the sense that his coaches or teammates really care for him to stay.

Mendy needs to be real smart in picking his next team if he doesn't want to be viewed as an overall failure as an NFL back. My guess he'll end up in Indy.

Seven
12-15-2012, 07:50 AM

That doesn't bother me. Polamalu has openly said the same thing. There are plenty of guys in this league who wouldn't care about football if it weren't for the money, whether fans want to think about it or not. LaMarr Woodley has stated before that he's never had much interest in football outside of playing and the only games he watches on television are Michigan games. There are tons of guys in the league who feel similarly. It sucks, but it is what it is.

The only things that bother me about Mendenhall are his indecisive running style and tendency to fumble at the worst possible times. Outside of that, I could probably care less.

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=steeldawg;343739]

There's quite a few players throughout the league just going through the motions just for a paycheck. Some are even Pro Bowl level players. Such is their talnet level.

But that doesn't mean I put Mendy in that category. He's a bit of a strange dude, for a football player, but I don't think he lacks commitment. I think his biggest problem in Pittsburgh is offensive scheme. He needs to be in a zone blocking type scheme in order to maximize his cut back abilites. Put him in Houston and while he wouldn't be Arain Foster, he wouldn't be far from it either.

I really thought and hoped that Haley's sytem would take advantage of Mendy's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Get him in space and he's a dynamic player. But due to injuries and other factors that snowballed against him this year all we got was a glimpse of what could have been against the Eagles.

Anyway bottom line I don't think anyone is completely right or wrong in this argument. It just didn't work here for Mendy the last couple seasons. Maybe part of it goes back to the Super Bowl fumble? I don't really know? Momentum lost is hard to regain, and the career momentum Mendy took into SB XV has mostly dissappeared.

I don't think he wants to remain in Pittsburgh, nor do I get the sense that his coaches or teammates really care for him to stay.

Mendy needs to be real smart in picking his next team if he doesn't want to be viewed as an overall failure as an NFL back. My guess he'll end up in Indy.

Well now, no he absolutely doesnt want to be in pittsburgh and who can blame him. He will be a starter somewhere next season i wish it was pittsburgh but obviously him and tomlin dont get along so we will see what happens. Im just not going to question his commitment to football, because he has been good for the team and helped us win a superbowl.

Seven
12-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Well now, no he absolutely doesnt want to be in pittsburgh and who can blame him. He will be a starter somewhere next season i wish it was pittsburgh but obviously him and tomlin dont get along so we will see what happens. Im just not going to question his commitment to football, because he has been good for the team and helped us win a superbowl.

When? :chuckle:

zulater
12-15-2012, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=zulater;343745]

No he didn't. He helped us get to SB XV no question about that.

But as far as the SB XVIII winning team, he was a complete non factor in 2008.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MendRa00/gamelog//

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 08:24 AM
When? :chuckle:

he was on the 2008-09 winners and he was and his excellent 2009 season put us in a superbowl in 2009-10, pretty good. Ok i admit the super bowl winning team he didnt really do much but before he got hurt in week 4 he did get some carries and was returning kicks also.

zulater
12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
If Mendy and Wallace had as much dedication to task as Steeldawg has in defending them they'd both be headed to Hawaii after the season. :heh:

Seven
12-15-2012, 09:09 AM
If Mendy and Wallace had as much dedication to task as Steeldawg has in defending them they'd both be headed to Hawaii after the season. :heh:

Hawaii? I think you mean Canton :chuckle:

X-Terminator
12-15-2012, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=steeldawg;343749]

No he didn't. He helped us get to SB XV no question about that.

But as far as the SB XVIII winning team, he was a complete non factor in 2008.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MendRa00/gamelog//

I don't think Mendy could have played in Super Bowl 15 or 18 :chuckle:

Obviously you meant XLIII and XLV...just yanking your chain a bit!

zulater
12-15-2012, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=zulater;343752]

I don't think Mendy could have played in Super Bowl 15 or 18 :chuckle:

Obviously you meant XLIII and XLV...just yanking your chain a bit!

You never know, Dawg might think Mendy is so good that he could help the Steelers win Super Bowls pre birth?!

:wink02:

steeldawg
12-15-2012, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=X-Terminator;343769]

You never know, Dawg might think Mendy is so good that he could help the Steelers win Super Bowls pre birth?!

:wink02:

Lol, man i take some abuse around here, i know i reached a bit with the comment but hey im a fan.

zulater
12-15-2012, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=zulater;343771]

Lol, man i take some abuse around here, i know i reached a bit with the comment but hey im a fan.

I appreciate your loyalty to the cause in the face of adversity. :hatsoff:

GoSlash27
12-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Really, that's the bottom line. Can any of us really say that we'd be executing at 100% under the same circumstances? There's nothing more demoralizing than being stuck where you don't want to be and surrounded by people who don't want you there. Personally, I'd probably just give up, so I've got to give him props for at least trying.

Devilsdancefloor
12-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Here is my problem with mendy being suspended the players are suppose to be this band of brothers, but i get the feeling a few really dont give a damn about that they just want their money, so now i think it has affected chemistry of the team.

Psycho Ward 86
12-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Here is my problem with mendy being suspended the players are suppose to be this band of brothers, but i get the feeling a few really dont give a damn about that they just want their money, so now i think it has affected chemistry of the team.

then its not mendy being suspended you have a problem with, its his attitude, and you're completely correct to think that way.

Steeldude
12-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Well now, no he absolutely doesnt want to be in pittsburgh and who can blame him.

He can blame himself. He created this situation.

LLT
12-16-2012, 06:03 AM
he was on the 2008-09 winners and he was and his excellent 2009 season put us in a superbowl in 2009-10, pretty good..

IN 2009 Medenhall was:

Ranked #14 in yards

Ranked #16 in yards per game

Ranked #16 in TD's

Ranked #17 in yards per carry

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/year/2009

That is not an "excellent" season by any definition of the word.

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 07:34 AM
IN 2009 Medenhall was:

Ranked #14 in yards

Ranked #16 in yards per game

Ranked #16 in TD's

Ranked #17 in yards per carry

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/year/2009

That is not an "excellent" season by any definition of the word.

1100yds 4.6yds per 7tds is an excellent season for a guy who didnt start till week 4. Heck its an excellent season period, he was never gonna be ranked near the top in rushing, we werent running the offense for it. look at it this way steven jackson was #2 in yds that season with 1416 but he had 324 attempts compared to nmendenhalls 1108 on 242 attempts. Then you could look at his follow up season where he ranked 7th in yds and 2nd in the league in tds behind arian foster, although his yds per carry did drop he was 34 th bgut still another excellent season.

Seven
12-16-2012, 07:52 AM
1100yds 4.6yds per 7tds is an excellent season for a guy who didnt start till week 4. Heck its an excellent season period, he was never gonna be ranked near the top in rushing, we werent running the offense for it. look at it this way steven jackson was #2 in yds that season with 1416 but he had 324 attempts compared to nmendenhalls 1108 on 242 attempts. Then you could look at his follow up season where he ranked 7th in yds and 2nd in the league in tds behind arian foster, although his yds per carry did drop he was 34 th bgut still another excellent season.

I would probably refer to those as "good" seasons, but it's a matter of opinion. I think the problem with him is, in the team's eyes, that he's more of a headache than he's worth. Between him not really giving much effort his rookie season, the UBL Tweets and now not showing up to the game - his transgressions have outweighed his production level. This is a mutual problem that he shares with Wallace. Why keep these headcases around when you have guys like Dwyer and Brown on the roster who are potentially just as productive, cheaper and are just easier to deal with in general? That's why Mendenhall and Wallace probably won't be here next season.

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I would probably refer to those as "good" seasons, but it's a matter of opinion. I think the problem with him is, in the team's eyes, that he's more of a headache than he's worth. Between him not really giving much effort his rookie season, the UBL Tweets and now not showing up to the game - his transgressions have outweighed his production level. This is a mutual problem that he shares with Wallace. Why keep these headcases around when you have guys like Dwyer and Brown on the roster who are potentially just as productive, cost less and are relatively easy to deal with in comparison? That's why Mendenhall and Wallace probably won't be here next season.

Mendenhall will not, wallace could still be here, and for our receiving corps production i hope he is. Dwyer is not even close to being mendenhall on the field, and brown has not proven he could be what mike wallace has been. I mean we are going to replace mendenhall with a bigger slower lazy back who cant stay on field for more than 2 plays, then we are going to replace our top td scorer and receiving threat with a guy whos played one full season and doesnt score. Steeler fans be careful what you wish for.

Seven
12-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Mendenhall will not, wallace could still be here, and for our receiving corps production i hope he is. Dwyer is not even close to being mendenhall on the field, and brown has not proven he could be what mike wallace has been. I mean we are going to replace mendenhall with a bigger slower lazy back who cant stay on field for more than 2 plays, then we are going to replace our top td scorer and receiving threat with a guy whos played one full season and doesnt score. Steeler fans be careful what you wish for.

Dwyer has already proven inarguably that he's playing better than Mendenhall right now. I'm not talking about that again, it's not even close. One player isn't even worth dressing. And Dwyer might be overweight, but that doesn't equate to "lazy". "Lazy" is not showing up to the facility after you break your shoulder your rookie year, or not showing up to a game because you're not good enough to dress - that's "lazy" - and that's Rashard Mendenhall. There is a huge difference between valuing food more than working out and being lazy, and Dwyer is definitely the prior, not the latter.

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Dwyer has already proven inarguably that he's playing better than Mendenhall right now. I'm not talking about that again, it's not even close. One player isn't even worth dressing. And Dwyer might be overweight, but that doesn't equate to "lazy". "Lazy" is not showing up to the facility after you break your shoulder your rookie year, or not showing up to a game because you're not good enough to dress - that's "lazy" - and that's Rashard Mendenhall. There is a huge difference between valuing food more than working out and being lazy, and Dwyer is definitely the prior, not the latter.

lazy is not working on your conditioning to be able to stay on the field lazy is not showing up to camp in shape thats dwyer, lol i seriously doubt mendy is not dressing because hes not good enough to beat out redman and dwyer. So your ok with dwyer choosing a cheeseburger over working out, but your not ok with mendy not showing up to a game he cant even play in. Mendy is not lazy does he have some bad judgement off the field sometimes ya he does but as a football player he runs circles around jonathan dwyer. Dwyer is not going to be this teams starting running back, for a few reasons, 1 hes lazy ,2 hes slow , hes not good catching out the backfield, hes not much of a pass protector, he has no stamina, no vision, and todd haley is going to want an agile back with speed he can use out of the backfield. Mendy might be gone next season but make no mistake the steelers will be looking for another back.

Seven
12-16-2012, 08:51 AM
lazy is not working on your conditioning to be able to stay on the field lazy is not showing up to camp in shape thats dwyer, lol i seriously doubt mendy is not dressing because hes not good enough to beat out redman and dwyer. So your ok with dwyer choosing a cheeseburger over working out, but your not ok with mendy not showing up to a game he cant even play in. Mendy is not lazy does he have some bad judgement off the field sometimes ya he does but as a football player he runs circles around jonathan dwyer. Dwyer is not going to be this teams starting running back, for a few reasons, 1 hes lazy ,2 hes slow , hes not good catching out the backfield, hes not much of a pass protector, he has no stamina, no vision, and todd haley is going to want an agile back with speed he can use out of the backfield. Mendy might be gone next season but make no mistake the steelers will be looking for another back.

I don't doubt we'll be looking for another back, hopefully one we already retain the rights to steps up - but it won't be Mendenhall. As I said, I've already dispatched your argument that he's a better player than Dwyer at the moment. Even by your own reasoning Dwyer is better, as a few weeks ago you stated Mendenhall is better because he is "above Dwyer on the depth chart". Well, Dwyer is now four spots ahead of Mendenhall on the depth chart, therefore he must be superior. That's not my reasoning, and I think it's a silly argument, but it's one you made - so you can't go back on it now simply because it doesn't work in your favor any longer.

And just because Dwyer likes the burgers doesn't mean he's "lazy". There is a big difference. It's not "ok" and I never said it was, conditioning is important. But just because you're overweight does not mean you're lazy. You can work out hard all day and still gain weight if you don't have that diet under control. That does not make you lazy, that simply means you lack willpower. Get it right.

And every point you made about Dwyer besides his stamina issues are incorrect. 1. He's not lazy, he lacks willpower. 2. He's not slow, he has average speed. 3. His hands are absolutely fine, there is nothing that proves he can't catch passes. He might not run routes well, but his catching has been fine. 4. His pass protection is average, he misses some assignments but when he gets his hat on a defender he holds up about as decently as you can ask for. 5. No vision? He has the best vision on the team. Or at least second behind Mendenhall, but Mendenhall dances behind the line so it doesn't matter how good his vision is. And since he's not even on the active team right now, who cares. And 6. Haley already has a fast back. Chris Rainey. I assume you're trying to say he'll want a fast feature back, which is totally and ignorantly inaccurate based on his prior stops. In Arizona he worked with Edgerrin James and in Kansas City he played guys like Larry Johnson, Kolby Smith and Jackie Battle over Jamaal Charles for a very long time. There is absolutely nothing that suggests he wants a speedy feature back. Per usual you just threw that out there.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 09:27 AM
The Mendy haters are going to be disappointed in hearing that the Steelers have said that they will talk to Mendy after the season about a new contract.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8751797/rashard-mendenhall-pittsburgh-steelers-discuss-deal-sources

Seven
12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
The Mendy haters are going to be disappointed in hearing that the Steelers have said that they will talk to Mendy after the season about a new contract.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8751797/rashard-mendenhall-pittsburgh-steelers-discuss-deal-sources

Even if the Steelers want him, I think he's gone. He wants to leave this city according to his recent statements. But I would love to see him back, I think he's one hell of a player when he can keep his "sea legs" at bay. If he didn't act like a ballet dancer behind the line of scrimmage he might be the most complete back in the game. Unfortunately, he hasn't put it together consistently and doesn't deserve to start right now. But if he returns and can get his head on straight there is no reason he can't correct that. I hope they get it done, but I'd be pretty surprised.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Even if the Steelers want him, I think he's gone. He wants to leave this city according to his recent statements. But I would love to see him back, I think he's one hell of a player when he can keep his "sea legs" at bay. If he didn't act like a ballet dancer behind the line of scrimmage he might be the most complete back in the game. Unfortunately, he hasn't put it together consistently and doesn't deserve to start right now. But if he returns and can get his head on straight there is no reason he can't correct that. I hope they get it done, but I'd be pretty surprised.

If what Shefter says is true, then I can't blame him one bit for not wanting to come back.

Also, Mendenhall was informed by his friends, not his coaches, that he had lost his starting job two weeks ago to Jonathan Dwyer (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13206/jonathan-dwyer), sources said.Then he found out he was being deactivated against Baltimore when he arrived at the stadium and found his locker empty.

Seven
12-16-2012, 10:08 AM
If what Shefter says is true, then I can't blame him one bit for not wanting to come back.

I saw that. Not sure how I feel about it one way or the other. I guess it just supports my feeling that it's time for him to move on, for his sake anyway. He might have great success somewhere else. Seems like it would be an uphill battle here. I would love to see him stay and return to form, but it is not working right now - on or off the field.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 10:32 AM
in any contract negotiations you have to have 2 willing partners , from what I have read and from what I have seen ...

I would guess the Steelers are luke warm to the idea thus only half in on the interest level ( but will act more interested to drive the market value up to enhance his value for a better Comp pick in return )

I would also guess that from recent interviews Mendy looks half in at best as far as interest ...

combine the two and you have at best 1 totally interested party of two potential ( or half of the total combined amount of potential interest )

thus I conclude when you have a team that is over the cap by a significant number with just 35 men signed to the active roster in 2013 and many salary cuts and potential player cuts to come to get under the cap to sign enough guys to field a complete roster and also sign your draft class of 2013 unless mendy is willing to come back at Vet min with incentives he is probably in another town ( and that is what his heart wants anyways ) and also I believe some team will be willing to go further out on the limb to obtain him ( Colts being one of them ) ... his Curtain call is now so to speak

Seven
12-16-2012, 10:59 AM
in any contract negotiations you have to have 2 willing partners , from what I have read and from what I have seen ...

I would guess the Steelers are luke warm to the idea thus only half in on the interest level ( but will act more interested to drive the market value up to enhance his value for a better Comp pick in return )

I would also guess that from recent interviews Mendy looks half in at best as far as interest ...

combine the two and you have at best 1 totally interested party of two potential ( or half of the total combined amount of potential interest )

thus I conclude when you have a team that is over the cap by a significant number with just 35 men signed to the active roster in 2013 and many salary cuts and potential player cuts to come to get under the cap to sign enough guys to field a complete roster and also sign your draft class of 2013 unless mendy is willing to come back at Vet min with incentives he is probably in another town ( and that is what his heart wants anyways ) and also I believe some team will be willing to go further out on the limb to obtain him ( Colts being one of them ) ... his Curtain call is now so to speak

Those are my feelings on it exactly.

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Which just shows hes a better back than dwyer, if dwyer was a better back they would not even need to talk contract with him. Wow they dont even tell the guy to his face hes not starting they just empty his locker, cant blame the guy for not wanting to play here.

Seven
12-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Which just shows hes a better back than dwyer, if dwyer was a better back they would not even need to talk contract with him. Wow they dont even tell the guy to his face hes not starting they just empty his locker, cant blame the guy for not wanting to play here.

If Dwyer is not better why is he starting? Again, you're reasoning - not mine.

Why is mendy ahead of dwyer on the depth chart?

Trying to have it both ways as usual. :coffee:

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2012, 11:45 AM

pissed to hell with Mendy in not just recent weeks, but recent years, but thats fine i suppose. Haley knows how to bring not just the best out of his offense, but especially his runningbacks and once he's healthy i expect him to have his finest season. Remember, he's only 25 so his best years could easily be yet to come. i hope they focus more on keenan lewis and wallace though

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Which just shows hes a better back than dwyer, if dwyer was a better back they would not even need to talk contract with him. What? That doesn't even make sense, of course they are going to talk about a contract with him. Do you really think they want the rest of the league to think they can just pluck him away in FA with no price tag. The Steelers are more than likely letting him walk, but they have to make it look like they have interest so they can get a higher compensatory pick.
Wow they dont even tell the guy to his face hes not starting they just empty his locker, cant blame the guy for not wanting to play here.

This is just a rumor....so :noidea:

Seven
12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
What? That doesn't even make sense, of course they are going to talk about a contract with him. Do you really think they want the rest of the league to think they can just pluck him away in FA with no price tag. The Steelers are more than likely letting him walk, but they have to make it look like they have interest so they can get a higher compensatory pick.

:cheer2:MENDENHALL!:cheer2:

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 12:02 PM
What? That doesn't even make sense, of course they are going to talk about a contract with him. Do you really think they want the rest of the league to think they can just pluck him away in FA with no price tag. The Steelers are more than likely letting him walk, but they have to make it look like they have interest so they can get a higher compensatory pick.

yes because not dressing him and suspending is really telling the league this is our guy!

43Hitman
12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
yes because not dressing him and suspending is really telling the league this is our guy!

Again, for the umphteenth time, we had injuries during that stretch and needed guys that could do more that one thing, like play ST. And what did your boywonder do? He pouted like a little bitch, didn't show up for a game and got suspended. All of those things are in Mendenhall control. So in reality, Rushard is sealing his own fate in the Burgh, and no matter how much you scream foul, it won't change a damn thing. I would also bet just about anything that all of the top franchises in the league would have done the exact same thing given the circumstances.

Seven
12-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Again, for the umphteenth time, we had injuries during that stretch and needed guys that could do more that one thing, like play ST. And what did your boywonder do? He pouted like a little bitch, didn't show up for a game and got suspended. All of those things are in Mendenhall control. So in reality, Rushard is sealing his own fate in the Burgh, and no matter how much you scream foul, it won't change a damn thing. I would also bet just about anything that all of the top franchises in the league would have done the exact same thing given the circumstances.

:applaudit:

Steeldawg, why won't you respond to me regarding your former argument?

86WARD
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Tomlin is saying as it stands right now, the RB rotation will be the same as it was during the Dallas game.

steeldawg
12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
I am in total shock that people actually believe jonathan dwyer is a better running back than rashard mendenhall it is not even close. As far as that arguement that was in response toi your ridiculous question which was if mendenhall was better than dwyer why did dwyer have 53 yards against the ravens and mendenhall have 30. so i responded with mendy having a contract mendy being 1 on the depth chart and not to mention mendys resume. If your happy with our awful running game then go ahead be happy but dont be delusional, mendy is a much better back than dwyer hands down.

Steelreal
12-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Most excellent post. SUSPEND TOMLIN

Steelreal
12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Dwyer is serviceable but he is no Mendenhall

Dwinsgames
12-18-2012, 05:23 PM
what does stats from 3 or 4 years ago have to do with TODAY ? ummmm,,, nothing

if we want to be historical about what we do maybe we should Try and Talk Barry Sanders out of retirement or look at obtaining Brandon Jacobs in the off season because 4 or 5 years ago he put up great numbers too ..

its about NOW and how you respond NOW not then ...

This bozo you all seemingly want to enshrine into Canton has not done a dam thing this year , in his last 4 carries he fumbled twice and gained 4 or 5 yards , then got pissed he got benched and decided to stay home instead of showing up for work and you want to anoint him ???? where is the logic in this madness ????

you WANT a guy who has not shown effort or team pride and has openly stated he wants to move on to be the one you rely on with the playoff on the line ?????? I sure as hell don't

steeldawg
12-18-2012, 05:29 PM
mendy is in the league, young, our first round pick, and the most talented running back on the roster but hes not playing during a stretch of games that we need to win because tomlin has some beef with him. So ya its about now, and now is when our most talented back should be on the field, and those stats are what he has done in this league and what hes capable of.

Dwinsgames
12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Season
Team
G
Rush
Yds
Y/G
Avg
TD
Rec
Tgt
Yds
Y/G
Avg
Lng
YAC
1stD
TD
Fum
FumL

2005-06

NY Giants (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyg)
N/A
N/A
N/A

2006-07

2007-08

2008-09

2009-10

2010-11

2011-12

2012-13

San Francisco (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sfo)
N/A
N/A

Career Totals

maybe we should sign that guy above then for 2013 , numbers far better than Mendy in their best years ....

Count Steeler
12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Season
Team
G
Rush
Yds
Y/G
Avg
TD
Rec
Tgt
Yds
Y/G
Avg
Lng
YAC
1stD
TD
Fum
FumL

2005-06

NY Giants
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyg)
N/A
N/A
N/A

2006-07

NY Giants

2007-08

NY Giants

2008-09

NY Giants

2009-10

NY Giants

2010-11

NY Giants

2011-12

NY Giants

2012-13

San Francisco
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sfo)
N/A
N/A

Career Totals

maybe we should sign that guy above then for 2013 , numbers far better than Mendy in their best years ....

Would rather take a back in the draft or go after a UDFA. This guy had promise, but never really lived up to it, and he is now on the downward trend. For vet min. maybe, otherwise go for some fresh legs.

Dwinsgames
12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Would rather take a back in the draft or go after a UDFA. This guy had promise, but never really lived up to it, and he is now on the downward trend. For vet min. maybe, otherwise go for some fresh legs.

oh trust me I agree , but they want to keep spewing Mendy stats from 3-4 years ago and say that is why he should be starting ..it is ludicrous to even fathom starting a guy who has shown and said he does not want to be here when your season is on the line , exactly what message does that send the rest of the football team if you do start him .... it tells them you think it is fine to QUIT on the team ...

Piss on Mendy if he got hit by a truck tonight I would feel worse for the driver of the truck than I would for him !

Seven
12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Mendenhall will be gone next year. So who cares.

Steeldude
12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
mendy is in the league, young, our first round pick, and the most talented running back on the roster but hes not playing during a stretch of games that we need to win because tomlin has some beef with him. So ya its about now, and now is when our most talented back should be on the field, and those stats are what he has done in this league and what hes capable of.

What did Mendenhall show the Steelers for him to become the starter? You said he earned it. How did he earn it?

Tomlin has some beef with him? The beef is Mendenhall did not show up to the game. As in he wasn't to be found. I realize you probably support that type of behavior, but HCs and logical fans do not support it.

LLT
12-19-2012, 06:27 AM
what does stats from 3 or 4 years ago have to do with TODAY ? ummmm,,, nothing

if we want to be historical about what we do maybe we should Try and Talk Barry Sanders out of retirement or look at obtaining Brandon Jacobs in the off season because 4 or 5 years ago he put up great numbers too ..

its about NOW and how you respond NOW not then ...

This bozo you all seemingly want to enshrine into Canton has not done a dam thing this year , in his last 4 carries he fumbled twice and gained 4 or 5 yards , then got pissed he got benched and decided to stay home instead of showing up for work and you want to anoint him ???? where is the logic in this madness ????

you WANT a guy who has not shown effort or team pride and has openly stated he wants to move on to be the one you rely on with the playoff on the line ?????? I sure as hell don't

This.

steelreserve
12-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Mendenhall will be gone next year. So who cares.

Yup. Only question for me is, next season will he go to a losing team and do OK, go to a team that already has a decent RB and be the backup and bitch a lot, or go somewhere else and just plain suck.

zulater
12-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Yup. Only question for me is, next season will he go to a losing team and do OK, go to a team that already has a decent RB and be the backup and bitch a lot, or go somewhere else and just plain suck.

He'll sign a 1 year deal with Indy and revive his career with a huge 2013.

But him being who he is, he'll sign a long term extension after that season and then revert to being pretty much worthless again.

steelreserve
12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
He'll sign a 1 year deal with Indy and revive his career with a huge 2013.

But him being who he is, he'll sign a long term extension after that season and then revert to being pretty much worthless again.

I'd be OK with that as long as he has the shitty years with the same team and causes them problems. Either Indy or Green Bay would be great for that. I'd say New England too, but they seem to have a way of getting by with mediocre RBs, and of keeping marginal RBs mediocre for several years. So fuck those guys.