PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Steelers assistant coach Amos Jones heads to Cardinals

Carl1970
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Who did the Steelers hire after they got rid of their special teams coach?

Is it me or are Steelers special teams at a low point ? The Chargers totally out-coached the Steelers punt return team with that fake punt from their own 29 yard line. And, adding insult to injury, they came awfully close on a few occasions to blocking Butler's punts.

Is it the players, the coaches, a combination..........or what?
Why can't we stop penalties on punt or kickoff returns?

Tons of questions on special teams and nothing ever mentioned about who is responsible.

X-Terminator
12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Who did the Steelers hire after they got rid of their special teams coach?

Is it me or are Steelers special teams at a low point ? The Chargers totally out-coached the Steelers punt return team with that fake punt from their own 29 yard line. And, adding insult to injury, they came awfully close on a few occasions to blocking Butler's punts.

Is it the players, the coaches, a combination..........or what?
Why can't we stop penalties on punt or kickoff returns?

Tons of questions on special teams and nothing ever mentioned about who is responsible.

Nobody. Tomlin and Amos Jones are responsible for the special teams, so they deserve the blame for their constant failure.

st33lersguy
12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Whoever or whatever the hell is coaching the special teams needs to be fired, and if the special teams coach isn't fired the minute the season ends, then something is wrong

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Nobody. Tomlin and Amos Jones are responsible for the special teams, so they deserve the blame for their constant failure.

I know Tomlin said he would pick up the slack after the fire but did he ever start to actually help that unit ?

if he did maybe it is time to stop ?

I am a firm believer in not trying to fix what is not broken but this unit has been BUSTED for awhile now and nobody has come to its rescue yet ....

we have some dynamic returners who have for whatever reason not been able to get free , and when they do the laundry lies on the field more often than not ... this perhaps is the most dysfunctional unit of the football team and nothing has changed for the better all season long

SteelerFanInStl
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
No matter what, Amos Jones should not be back next year. I really don't see the point in hiring the assistant to the guy that you fired in the first place. Bring someone in from outside.

zulater
12-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Last year the special teams weren't a problem. Firing former special team's coach Al Everest a couple weeks before the season still puzzles me?

Count Steeler
12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Last year the special teams weren't a problem. Firing former special team's coach Al Everest a couple weeks before the season still puzzles me?

I'm also surprised that the media hasn't tried to drum something up. It would be nice to know what happened.

steelerdude15
12-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I hope the Steelers hired a legit special teams coach this offseason. Out of the three parts, this is the most troubled. Of course, that's taking away Shaun who's kicking lights out this year.

SteelerFanInStl
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Getting a new punter would certainly help too. Butler has been terrible!

X-Terminator
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM

It's been the "Bizarro Steelers" this year. A whole lot of things they've done have left me scratching my head.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM
we could use some Bobby April antics about now

BlountForceTrauma
12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Our Special Teams DEFINITELY puts the "SPECIAL" in Special Teams! We are a joke! I bet if someone looked at it we've almost been penalized on a majority of our special teams plays. Also someone mentioned the fact that the fake punt caught us looking. Well that's because it was a great designed play. Remember our fake FG? Not so much.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 11:54 PM
if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem

Steeldude
12-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Getting a new punter would certainly help too. Butler has been terrible!

On the bright side at least he didn't injure himself or take a 4th round pick to acquire.

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Our Special Teams DEFINITELY puts the "SPECIAL" in Special Teams!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ_R5qSYtTM_l_diOZZpUEFdJqNecjf 1ka_6UnncIPLp9iauh4JA

tube517
12-12-2012, 06:38 AM
This thread is about Special Teams coaching. I have yet to see anything resembling "coaching" this year on special teams. Bring back the moustache.

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 06:45 AM
This thread is about Special Teams coaching. I have yet to see anything resembling "coaching" this year on special teams. Bring back the moustache.

better yet bring back the chin

Moose
12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Special teams coaching is just a part of the problem of this team this year. It just seems every week there is another problem that surfaces with this team. I'm getting to the point where the 'off season' can't come soon enough. Not only player problems, position problems, attitude problems, motivation problems, injury problems, conditioning problems, discipline problems, just to mention a few, and now coaching problems. Mr. Rooney....good luck fixing this mess !!

GBMelBlount
12-12-2012, 11:28 AM
It seems more like Special Needs coaching if you ask me.

Just saying.

fansince'76
12-12-2012, 11:30 AM
better yet bring back the chin

No thanks.

43Hitman
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM

We made him an offer last year, and he chose Philly instead.

zulater
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
We made him an offer last year, and he chose Philly instead.

He'll be available again at the end of this month. :heh:

steelreserve
12-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Don't worry, they probably just found out he was a sex offender or something. With the stache, who knows?

43Hitman
12-12-2012, 01:34 PM
He'll be available again at the end of this month. :heh:

That is true. Wonder if he'll reconsider...

tube517
12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
No thanks.

:chuckle:

Cowher started coaching special teams. That won't change your mind? :heh:

zulater
12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
That is true. Wonder if he'll reconsider...

The Eagles special teams were as bad as ours this year, so I doubt they'd want him now.

43Hitman
12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
The Eagles special teams were as bad as ours this year, so I doubt they'd want him now.

That whole team has been a mess, so I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

zulater
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
That whole team has been a mess, so I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

They should at least involve him in the proccess when they address the position in the offseason. But I doubt they will.

NCSteeler
01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Titans released their special teams coach a week ago and still or hearing his name on any reports. I would like to see the steelers go after him. Alan lowery. http://http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8836751/tennessee-titans-fire-special-teams-coach-alan-lowry-architect-music-city-miracle-according-reports

Shoes
01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
On the bright side at least he didn't injure himself or take a 4th round pick to acquire.

:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM

only with the pittsburgh steelers do you get to see the world's most injury prone punter (daniel sepulveda: 3 torn acl's) and the world's most injury prone long snapper (greg warren: 2 torn acl's).

Seriously. A friggin long snapper :lol:

Chidi29
01-16-2013, 02:38 AM
only with the pittsburgh steelers do you get to see the world's most injury prone punter (daniel sepulveda: 3 torn acl's) and the world's most injury prone long snapper (greg warren: 2 torn acl's).

Whose torn his ACL on an extra point, no less.

tube517
01-16-2013, 06:54 AM

:lol:

Also, only on the Steelers, do you see an offensive lineman get injured (a common Steeler occurrence) but trip and fall (Gilbert) and take out other OL with him.

Psycho Ward 86
01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Whose torn his ACL on an extra point, no less.

with no time on the clock. that's one of those "Why God Why" moments

NCSteeler
01-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Why have we not hired this guy yet?

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Lowry_Alan/a75f1327-ef1f-4ec0-8d66-1794031a7e90

Alan Lowry is in his 17th season as an assistant coach with the Titans and 14th as special teams coach. During the last 12 seasons, the Titans have produced 18 special teams touchdowns, including 14 kick returns for touchdowns. Lowry’s special teams have consistently ranked among the league leaders in both return yardage and return defense while placing a number of different players among the league leaders in return yardage, including Derrick Mason, Pacman Jones, Chris Carr and Marc Mariani.

Last year, kicker Rob Bironas had one of the finest seasons of his career as he hit 29 of 32 field goals (90.6%) and he will carry two streaks into the 2012 season. He has made his last 15 consecutive field goals and has 10 consecutive games that he has made at least one 40-plus yard field goal, which is an NFL record. Additionally, punter Brett Kern set a new franchise mark for net punting average (39.4). As a special teams group, the Titans finished fourth among all categories in Rick Gosselin’s (Dallas Morning News) Special Teams Rankings.

As a rookie in 2010, Mariani earned Pro Bowl honors by leading the NFL and setting a franchise record for combined return yardage (1,859). He recorded both a kickoff return for touchdown and punt return for touchdown. As a special teams unit, the Titans finished second among all categories in Gosselin’s (Dallas Morning News) Special Teams Rankings. Bironas scored 110 points and was nearly perfect for the season, going 24-26 on field goal tries and matching the best percentage in franchise history.

In 2009, Lowry was dealt a difficult hand when veteran punter Craig Hentrich was lost for the season in the second game. Eventually, Kern was claimed off waivers from Denver and put together a sensational 10 games with the Titans – averaging 45.0 yards per punt and a net average of 41.4 yards. A whopping 48 percent of Kern’s punts (18 of 37) were placed inside the opponent’s 20.

In 2008, the Titans finished first in the NFL in kickoff return average (25.4) and Carr finished in the top 10 in the AFC in both kickoff return average and punt return average.

In 2007, Lowry aided in the emergence of Bironas into a record-setting performer and a Pro Bowl talent. Bironas earned his first Pro Bowl selection after leading the league in field goals made (35), including an NFL record eight field goals in a game at Houston.

The special teams unit had another standout season in 2006, which included the leading punt returner in the NFL (Pacman Jones, 12.9 avg.), ranking second in net punt average, third in punts inside the 20-yard line (32) and a franchise long 60-yard field goal by Bironas to defeat Indianapolis. The last time a Titans/Oilers player led the league in punt return average was 1977, when Billy “White Shoes” Johnson held the distinction. Jones also matched Johnson’s 1975 franchise record of three punt returns for touchdowns in one season.

In 2005, the Titans were the only NFL team that didn’t have a negative special teams play over the entire season (fumble lost, blocked kick, return allowed for touchdown).

In 2004, the Titans finished fourth in the NFL in net punt average (37.8) and in 2003, led the NFL in kickoff return average defense, allowing only 18.8 yards per return. In 2002, the Titans led the league in average starting position after kickoff. In the 2002 season finale at Houston (12/29/02), the Titans blocked a field goal and a punt for the first time in the same game since 1991.

In 2000, the Titans were one of only two NFL teams (Seattle) to rank in the top 10 in the league in punt return average, kickoff return average, punt return defense and kickoff return defense.

In the 1999 season, the Titans were propelled to the Super Bowl with a number of plays on special teams, including the "Music City Miracle" and Mason's 80-yard kick return for a touchdown in the 1999 AFC Championship Game. Lowry took over the Titans' special teams after coaching the club's wide receivers corps from 1997-98. He has 10 seasons of experience coaching special teams from his positions with Dallas (1982-85, ‘89), Tampa Bay (1991) and San Francisco (1992-95). Lowry joined the Oilers in 1996 as defensive assistant/quality control coach and was promoted to wide receivers coach one year later.

Lowry spent nine seasons with the Dallas Cowboys (1982-90). He originally joined the Cowboys in 1982 and through the years filled many roles, including coaching special teams (1982-85, ’89), receivers (1986-88) and tight ends (1990). In 1991, he served as the special teams/tight ends coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and as special teams coach for the San Francisco 49ers from 1992-95. In San Francisco, Lowry and the Niners made three NFC Championship game appearances (1992, 1993, 1994) and captured a Super Bowl Championship (XXIX).

A former quarterback and defensive back at the University of Texas, Lowry earned All-Southwest Conference honors before joining the coaching ranks. Lowry began his coaching career at Virginia Tech in 1974 before moving to the University of Wyoming in 1975. He spent 1976 with the Dallas Cowboys in their scouting department before returning to Texas from 1977-81 as defensive backs coach.

A native of Miami, Okla., Lowry resides in Franklin, Tenn., with his wife, Donna. The couple has two grown daughters, Marta and Lindsay.

Alan Lowry Coaching Ledger:

1999-12: Special Teams, Tennessee Titans
1997-98: Wide Receivers, Tennessee Oilers
1996: Defensive Assistant/Quality Control, Houston Oilers
1992-95: Special Teams, San Francisco 49ers
1991: Special Teams/Tight Ends, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1990: Tight Ends, Dallas Cowboys
1989: Special Teams, Dallas Cowboys
1986-88: Receivers, Dallas Cowboys
1982-85: Special Teams, Dallas Cowboys
1977-81: Defensive Backs, University of Texas
1975: Defensive Backs, University of Wyoming
1974: Quarterbacks, Virginia Polytechnic Institute

stillers4me
01-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Bobby April was just hired by the Raiders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/19/raiders-hire-bobby-april-as-special-teams-coordinator/

Dwinsgames
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/19/raiders-hire-bobby-april-as-special-teams-coordinator/

clearly we will sit on our asses and let all the quality guys get gobbled up and be left with nothing ( like we have now ) typical of Tomlin to not use due diligence in solving problems but I bet he has a nice little quote to say about it when it is over with ....

I am getting sick of his lack of work ethic and people wonder where the team gets its lazy ways

tube517
01-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Didn't April have a stint under Cowher? I don't remember anything about his tenure

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk HD

Chidi29
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Didn't April have a stint under Cowher? I don't remember anything about his tenure

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk HD

Yes, April was the STs coach in the 90s. Probably most famously known for telling Cowher to run a fake on 4th down, Cowher doing so, and then taking credit for it.

- - - Updated - - -

clearly we will sit on our asses and let all the quality guys get gobbled up and be left with nothing ( like we have now ) typical of Tomlin to not use due diligence in solving problems but I bet he has a nice little quote to say about it when it is over with ....

I am getting sick of his lack of work ethic and people wonder where the team gets its lazy ways

Tomlin interviewed April in 2010 after Ligashesky was fired. If he wasn't a good enough candidate then, why would he be now?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-executive-khan-to-interview-with-seahawks-228098/

SteelerFanInStl
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Amos Jones should have been fired as soon as the season was over.

Dwinsgames
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes, April was the STs coach in the 90s. Probably most famously known for telling Cowher to run a fake on 4th down, Cowher doing so, and then taking credit for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin interviewed April in 2010 after Ligashesky was fired. If he wasn't a good enough candidate then, why would he be now?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-executive-khan-to-interview-with-seahawks-228098/

maybe because he was wrong in 2010 and was wrong now for not talking to him ?

April is a good football coach , far better than what we currently have

Chidi29
01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
maybe because he was wrong in 2010 and was wrong now for not talking to him ?

April is a good football coach , far better than what we currently have

I think we all can agreed Al Everest did a great job his first year for us.

And Tomlin is more clued in than any of his here. At least, to the point where I won't cal him "lazy" for deciding not to talk to a guy he's already interviewed and apparently decided wasn't the right choice once before.

- - - Updated - - -

And just because you don't hear of any interviews or talking to potential candidates, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Dwinsgames
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I think we all can agreed Al Everest did a great job his first year for us.

And Tomlin is more clued in than any of his here. At least, to the point where I won't cal him "lazy" for deciding not to talk to a guy he's already interviewed and apparently decided wasn't the right choice once before.

- - - Updated - - -

And just because you don't hear of any interviews or talking to potential candidates, doesn't mean it's not happening.

no we probably do not hear about all the interviews prior to them happening , however with todays media coverage and so many websites dedicated to football news , I think the vast majority is reported on and in many cases we get reports before it is news ( lot of times dead wrong too ) ..I just think if there was something to report we would have got some reports from somewhere

Steeldude
01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Tomlin coached the special teams this year. As a result, shouldn't the special teams be unstoppable?

stillers4me
01-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Steelers assistant coach Amos Jones heads to Cardinals

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin now has three openings to fill on his staff after Amos Jones accepted a job to become the special teams coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals.
Tomlin hired Jones as his assistant special teams coach when he became head coach in 2007. Jones took over all special teams duties last season when Tomlin fired special teams coordinator Al Everest in the preseason....................

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-assistant-coach-amos-jones-heads-to-cardinals-672084/#ixzz2J7CyCles

steeldawg
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Did we work out a bulk discount with cardinals or something???

SteelerFanInStl
01-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Yippee!!!!

Chidi29
01-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Of course he did....

st33lersguy
01-26-2013, 08:47 PM
A massive thank you to the Arizona Cardinals and their brain-dead head coach for ridding us of that idiot Jones, something that Tomlin, who appears to have lost all interest in holding people on his team accountable, should have done the millisecond the season was over. Of course this hiring coupled with dumping Ray Horton for the inept Todd Bowles, Arians is already showing how inept he can truly be as a coach

86WARD
01-27-2013, 06:31 AM
This is hilarious...

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
chidi29

....Tomlin is more clued in than any of his here. At least, to the point where I won't cal him "lazy" for deciding not to talk to a guy he's already interviewed and apparently decided wasn't the right choice once before.

...and the Rooneys are more clued in than Tomlin.

Looking at the big picture it seems like the Rooneys were right to be concerned when they shook things up a year ago.

I think they may have seen cracks and fissures that are now wide open gashes.

Shoes
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Looking at the big picture it seems like the Rooneys were right to be concerned when they shook things up a year ago.

That ranks up there with "suddenness and glide" :chuckle:

43Hitman
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
That ranks up there with "suddenness and glide" :chuckle:

never gets old. :chuckle:

NCSteeler
01-27-2013, 02:32 PM
So a guy we all thought should probably be fired after the season gets hired away from us? So Amos feels the Cards are a better gig then the Steelers? What exactly is Tomlin doing to improve this team? This only confuses me more than ever. We sit back with a guy that didn't do anything to improve the ST play and watch many qualified candidates get hired around the league and then the guy Tomlin was apparently happy with decides he like the desert better. WTH is going on in Da Burgh

salamander
01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
So a guy we all thought should probably be fired after the season gets hired away from us? So Amos feels the Cards are a better gig then the Steelers? What exactly is Tomlin doing to improve this team? This only confuses me more than ever. We sit back with a guy that didn't do anything to improve the ST play and watch many qualified candidates get hired around the league and then the guy Tomlin was apparently happy with decides he like the desert better. WTH is going on in Da Burgh

I think we're all trying to figure that out. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Probably going by some code not to do anything until the season is completely over.

In my mind, this is a make or break offseason for Tomlin. A lot went wrong with the team this season and Tomlin has to start answering the call. If there is no major improvement next season, I think he may have run his course in Pittsburgh. Granted there were a lot of injuries, but still alot of puzzling decisions and personnel moves.
This situation with the STs coach just continues to get more puzzling.

To be clear, I am not calling for his firing, but I am looking for him to step up and lead this team much better in 2013.

st33lersguy
01-27-2013, 02:59 PM

More and more, I am beginning to beleive that Tomlin doesn't know what he is doing. He botched both this season and the situation with the special teams coaching

NCSteeler
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Probably going by some code not to do anything until the season is completely over.

In my mind, this is a make or break offseason for Tomlin. A lot went wrong with the team this season and Tomlin has to start answering the call. If there is no major improvement next season, I think he may have run his course in Pittsburgh. Granted there were a lot of injuries, but still alot of puzzling decisions and personnel moves.
This situation with the STs coach just continues to get more puzzling.

To be clear, I am not calling for his firing, but I am looking for him to step up and lead this team much better in 2013.

He definitely needs to show something this year. Do something to make this team better. Quit botching gameday calls, hire good coaches and get these guys playing like it matters.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Quit botching gameday calls, hire good coaches and get these guys playing like it matters.

Could not have said it any better myself.

Chidi29
01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
...and the Rooneys are more clued in than Tomlin.

In terms of who is/is not a good coach? I don't think they are.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
In terms of who is/is not a good coach? I don't think they are.

The quality of the coaching is largely reflected by the play on the field.

Doesn't always take an expert to see when things are amiss.

Sometimes a head coach is too close to the trenches and can miss the big picture.

Also, their personal relationships can cloud their objectivity.

Just sayin.

silver & black
01-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Doesn't look like that's going to happen. :grin: :jolly:

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 05:48 PM
The quality of the coaching is largely reflected by the play on the field.

Doesn't always take an expert to see when things are amiss.

Sometimes a head coach is too close to the trenches and can miss the big picture.

Also, their personal relationships can cloud their objectivity.

Just sayin.

I think this one is the big problem. It's tough being the coach, having to place the good of the team above the good of your friends.

Dwinsgames
01-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Doesn't look like that's going to happen. :grin: :jolly:

dam shame too