PDA

View Full Version : many think we are better than we are

Dwinsgames
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
running the risk of Tomlinism and cliche ...

you are what your record says you are and as of right now we are not a very good football team ....

we are 7-6 just 2 wins more than the Cleveland Browns and we have all this playoff talk here like we are in the middle of a great run where as the fact of the matter is every team we have left on the schedule is as good or better than many of the teams that have beat us ....

That is right folks we run the risk of being the cellar dwellar's at seasons end if we do not find a way to get out of this lackluster play style ....

Cowboys , Bengals and Browns remain all have equal or greater records to what beat us this year ....

if the Browns beat us again and 1 other loss not only are we on the outside looking in for the playoffs but potentially in last place in the division ...if the browns go 2-1 in the final 3 and we go 1-2 we are sniffing the mildew on the basement flour for the entire off season .......

the way the two teams have been playing I would not be shocked to see it happen .. I pray it does not but can't help but feel it very well could ( and it will if we do not play better than we have been )

just some food for thought

DarthSpartans20
12-10-2012, 07:16 PM

you are what your record says you are and as of right now we are not a very good football team ....

we are 7-6 just 2 wins more than the Cleveland Browns and we have all this playoff talk here like we are in the middle of a great run where as the fact of the matter is every team we have left on the schedule is as good or better than many of the teams that have beat us ....

That is right folks we run the risk of being the cellar dwellar's at seasons end if we do not find a way to get out of this lackluster play style ....

Cowboys , Bengals and Browns remain all have equal or greater records to what beat us this year ....

if the Browns beat us again and 1 other loss not only are we on the outside looking in for the playoffs but potentially in last place in the division ...if the browns go 2-1 in the final 3 and we go 1-2 we are sniffing the mildew on the basement flour for the entire off season .......

the way the two teams have been playing I would not be shocked to see it happen .. I pray it does not but can't help but feel it very well could ( and it will if we do not play better than we have been )

If you are saying, we are what our record says then we are a playoff team. If the season ended today(thank the heavens it doesnt) we are in the playoffs. The Steelers control their own destiny and hopefully they realize that.

polamalubeast
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
They are in the playoffs right now....

Psycho Ward 86
12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
because we havent had arguably the worst injury situation of any team in the league. No, none of that "everyone has injuries" crap. Few if any have had it like us. When our starters are on the field for at least a reasonable number of time in most of the games, were still one of the best. not much we can do when theyre hurt. tomlin demands a lot out of the backups with his "the standard is the standard" mantra, but that doesnt mean theyre going to deliver

ALLD
12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
"Swept by the Browns" has not been heard in decades, but it could happen this season. I wonder how Rooney would handle a complete collapse and last place finish.

Sent from my G3 via Tapatalk.

Moose
12-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I do agree with the statement that we aren't a very good football team. We are inconsistent as hell. We can't beat the cellar dwellers of the leagues. I can see maybe 1 upset, but 4 ? That can't happen, especially to a 'good' football team. I can't stand Marcia Brady and Bellycheat, but you have to admit that there is no way N.E. would lose to 4 bottom feeders.....on the road and/or in THEIR house ! We let bottom feeders come in to Heinz and knock the snot out of us. Pure bullcrap. Yea, I agree, we aren't a good team now and lucky to have a winning record...right now. And to be honest, the next 3 games scare the hell out of me.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
in our 7 wins, our opposition has a combined record of 43-48..... In our 6 losses, our opposition has a combined record of 36-42...... Combine the two and we are 7-6 and the total combined records of our opponents is 79-90 not the mark of a good football team In my Opinion .....

Psycho Ward 86
12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
in our 7 wins, our opposition has a combined record of 43-48..... In our 6 losses, our opposition has a combined record of 36-42...... Combine the two and we are 7-6 and the total combined records of our opponents is 79-90 not the mark of a good football team In my Opinion .....

individually, we have beat some legitimate teams: giants, redskins, ravens, and the bengals. yeah, none of them are necessarily dominant teams but this year has been full of parody and there really are no dominant teams out there

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Well as i have said before , why we play down to shitty teams is a mystery to me. But i never say never when it comes to the Steelers play-off contention. We have a chance , and i will go from there. Just hope to show some metalic thinking going into our remaining games. We either make it or we don't.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Well as i have said before , why we play down to shitty teams is a mystery to me. But i never say never when it comes to the Steelers play-off contention. We have a chance , and i will go from there. Just hope to show some metalic thinking going into our remaining games. We either make it or we don't.

we have a chance only because the AFC in general is not playing well ..... many seasons we would be in need of much help to obtain the 6th seed at this point in time with our current record ....

we have had an easy schedule based on over all opponents records yet we sit at 7-6 , to listen to how good we are ( coming from many a poster here ) we should be sitting at 11-2 if we where able to beat the teams we should beat ... we are not able to beat those teams because we have not beat them , you are what you're record says you are and we are barely above a 500 football team ... you can give 1000 reasons why that is the case but at the end of the day it changes nothing we are what we are ....

I am just not convinced we are very good right now , sure we show a flash or two along the way but over all we have not played a full 60 min game in all 3 phases yet this year ... maybe that is a good thing , maybe we are due to get hot at the right time but until we actually do it we are not that team .....

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
we have a chance only because the AFC in general is not playing well ..... many seasons we would be in need of much help to obtain the 6th seed at this point in time with our current record ....

we have had an easy schedule based on over all opponents records yet we sit at 7-6 , to listen to how good we are ( coming from many a poster here ) we should be sitting at 11-2 if we where able to beat the teams we should beat ... we are not able to beat those teams because we have not beat them , you are what you're record says you are and we are barely above a 500 football team ... you can give 1000 reasons why that is the case but at the end of the day it changes nothing we are what we are ....

I am just not convinced we are very good right now , sure we show a flash or two along the way but over all we have not played a full 60 min game in all 3 phases yet this year ... maybe that is a good thing , maybe we are due to get hot at the right time but until we actually do it we are not that team .....

I do get your drift, but i still am not convinced we give up the ship yet.Maybe we need a better draft spot for all i know. I just think if we can make it to the play-offs, then maybe we can make some noise. Should be pretty much in good shape if we get there.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I do get your drift, but i still am not convinced we give up the ship yet.Maybe we need a better draft spot for all i know. I just think if we can make it to the play-offs, then maybe we can make some noise. Should be pretty much in good shape if we get there.

I am not saying we " Fire Tomlin " but I do think he needs a good talking to and be made aware of his short comings ... you can not get better at something taking the same approach you have taken all along if you are not aware of a problem or pattern in the process ... it seems he just does not understand there is an issue and if it continues to be ignored we will see no change in the results ...

this is his ship to captain but at some point the Navigator needs to let him know he is off course or he can never right the ship .... Art needs to speak and the Captain and crew need to listen

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2012, 04:08 PM
I am not saying we " Fire Tomlin " but I do think he needs a good talking to and be made aware of his short comings ... you can not get better at something taking the same approach you have taken all along if you are not aware of a problem or pattern in the process ... it seems he just does not understand there is an issue and if it continues to be ignored we will see no change in the results ...

this is his ship to captain but at some point the Navigator needs to let him know he is off course or he can never right the ship .... Art needs to speak and the Captain and crew need to listen

A high-profile position he holds (Tomlin) leads me to believe he should know everything going on behind the scenes. Someone has got to be pointing errors out to him. Whether it is the players or the top brass. Just get the feeling something big is just around the corner.

ALLD
12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Just get the feeling something big is just around the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAi_42uIkQ

HollywoodSteel
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm not going to dispute your overall point but I'm not sure why the combined total of our opponents adds to it. The schedule is the schedule even if we were undefeated. I get that it is infuriating that we've lost to the less good teams, but going forward isn't that at least a slightly better sign than if it had been reversed and we lost to the better teams instead?

I guess what you're saying is the wins don't mean as much as we think they mean. Maybe we're just high on beating the Giants in their home despite the 14 point gift they got from the refs. Other than that we haven't beaten any Super Bowl contenders.

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm not going to dispute your overall point but I'm not sure why the combined total of our opponents adds to it. The schedule is the schedule even if we were undefeated. I get that it is infuriating that we've lost to the less good teams, but going forward isn't that at least a slightly better sign than if it had been reversed and we lost to the better teams instead?

I guess what you're saying is the wins don't mean as much as we think they mean. Maybe we're just high on beating the Giants in their home despite the 14 point gift they got from the refs. Other than that we haven't beaten any Super Bowl contenders.

the opponents over all record just goes to show how soft our schedule has been yet we barely are holding our collective heads above water

the Steelers are a combined 4 loss's and 1 Overtime win vs the chiefs ( they should have lost ) Raider, Chargers , Titans , Browns whom have a over all combined record of those teams of 19-45 if if you take away the 4 wins they obtained vs the Steelers it looks even worse at 15-45 a .250 winning percentage ..good teams win those sort of games .....we did not that is very telling for me

Looking closer the win over the giants is not nearly as impressive as it seemed on the surface either ... look they where in the middle of dealing with Sandy and its cleanup efforts most of the area was without power for the better part of the week , the team could not prepare as usual , they where also in the midst of losing 3 of 4 during the span in which we played them .... in other words we caught them at the right time or things may have been dramatically different in terms of the outcome ..

I love the Steelers ( I know lately it just does not sound like it ) but I do not like what I see in any phase of the game from a preparation standpoint , a focus standpoint , or a effort standpoint from the team as a whole ...can anyone here give me an example of this team playing well for 60 min in all 3 phases of the game in any game the entire year ? closest thing I can come up with is the Redskins game and it was not a complete game in all 3 phases but probably the closest we have come perhaps .... this is not the mark of a good football team ....

Lacking leadership , accountability , focus , effort , it all starts and ends with Tomlin he is the one who is supposed to be in charge and it is his job to FIX things that are broken on the team , I have yet to see any of it fixed hell at this point I would almost settle for masking it , hiding it , covering it up , scheming around it ..something ...anything .... but damn it do something to improve the quality of the product you put on the field

/end rant

HollywoodSteel
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
The only thing I've seen fixed this year is the defense. But rightly or wrongly I'm going to give that credit to LeBeau for somehow taking a defense that centers around Troy and a healthy monster-like Harrison, and putting together a string of very impressive outings. Last game was even pretty good for a while until the cracks due to injuries really started to show. The reason u can't give Tomlin credit for coaching anyone up is you'd expect to see it on special teams since he's supposed to know something about that.

Dwinsgames
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
The only thing I've seen fixed this year is the defense. But rightly or wrongly I'm going to give that credit to LeBeau for somehow taking a defense that centers around Troy and a healthy monster-like Harrison, and putting together a string of very impressive outings. Last game was even pretty good for a while until the cracks due to injuries really started to show. The reason u can't give Tomlin credit for coaching anyone up is you'd expect to see it on special teams since he's supposed to know something about that.

and he is supposed to be co coaching that unit this season ..yet they consistently shit the bed and we have seen no improvement in them from week 1 till now ....

as a side note but as important is we are time and time again seeing the same issues from the same players costing us over and over again and not a thing is being down about it , from stupid penalties to failed assignments to lack of effort and a healthy dose of not playing " heady football" ...no changes in any of those departments in all areas of the team and he is responsible for finding the solutions ...

the old saying goes if you are not part of the solution you are then part of the problem .......

BnG_Hevn
12-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Injuries are part of the game, but not for nothing, if Ben survives KC with no injury, not only do the Steelers stomp the Browns but they also beat the Ravens in Pittsburgh, a scenario that would have this team looking for a first round bye in the playoffs.

SCSTILLER
12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Injuries are part of the game, but not for nothing, if Ben survives KC with no injury, not only do the Steelers stomp the Browns but they also beat the Ravens in Pittsburgh, a scenario that would have this team looking for a first round bye in the playoffs.

I understand the injury argument, I really do. I have one question regarding the argument though. If injuries matter so much why did we beat the Ravens with a 3rd string over the hill QB, but lost to the Raiders at nearly full strenght, lost to the Browns with same QB, lost to the same Ravens team with a second string QB, barely beat KC with a healthy QB, and lost to an injury RIDDLED Chargers team with our QB back? If injuries really mattered the Ravens should have killed the Steelers in both games. I beleive us beating the Ravens and losing the other games throws the injury argument out the window. Remember, the Texans went to the AFC Champs game with a third string rookie. Now this is just my opinion.

Also, I don't want Tomlin fired by any means. I don't want Pittsburgh to install a rotating door for HC's, you need consistency year in and year out in that position. I do beleive though that Tomlin needs to change his leadership style. It seems to me that he is only managing the team, not leading it. Yes, we have players on the team that are leaders, but the HC needs to be the top leader on the team, and I don't see him being that.