PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Tomlin's tough talk too late

zulater
12-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Silent, stone-faced and almost motionless, Mike Tomlin stood inside the double-doors of the Steelers’ locker room to shake hands with every player, as he always does.
Not a syllable exchanged.
And once the last of them crossed — it was Mike Wallace, fittingly, given his late arrival to the game itself — Tomlin pulled those doors shut and began barking, loud enough to be heard from here to San Diego.
I don’t know what all he wound up saying and, in all honesty, couldn’t care less.
Not after the Steelers had just been … not beaten, but smoked by a 5-8 San Diego outfit, 34-24, on Sunday at Heinz Field.
Smoked a week after that buoyant victory in Baltimore.
Smoked by Norv Turner, who earlier in the week was reading reports that the Chargers will fire him at season’s end.
Smoked by Philip Rivers, who was petulantly gabbing all day as if he weren’t, you know, Philip Rivers.
Smoked by a team missing three, often four, offensive linemen.
And most shamefully, smoked in the same season as similar losses to Oakland, Tennessee and Cleveland.
Sorry, Coach, but tearing ’em up after the game is too little, too late.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3102976-85/tomlin-steelers-smoked#ixzz2EeNwo8OS
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

- - - Updated - - -

Catch his explanation for not going for two points once the Steelers pulled within 34-16?
Better sit down.
“Until we stopped them, it was going to be insignificant,” Tomlin said. “I was holding the two-point plays for that reason and that reason only. Now, we still have them in our hip pocket. Those specialty plays, we didn’t want to put on tape unless we had an opportunity to close the gap. As you can see, we didn’t.”
Well, either you’re in the game or not.
Which was it?
A two-point conversion there puts the Steelers within two TDs and two more conversions of tying the score with 6:07 to play.
Unrealistic, sure, but Tomlin apparently saw it as realistic enough to keep the franchise quarterback on the field, right?
On the bright side, they can take all those wicky-wacky, two-point plays next week to Dallas, right there in the hip pocket.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3102976-85/tomlin-steelers-smoked#ixzz2EeOBnYw4

SteelerFanInStl
12-10-2012, 08:26 AM
I agree with him 100%. I'm tired of the talk. It's time to for some action!

Pristas
12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Time to start acting like a head coach and get these guys "up" for the next game. I didn't get to see the game yesterday, but from what I am reading, I'm glad I didn't. This seems to be Tomlin's worst year as a head coach. I hope he does some introspective work this off season and makes the "necessary adjustments."

That said, it sounds like several things happened yesterday. Ben was rusty, but got in a groove a little too late. Rivers played a game to show people that he is better than Ben. Ike Taylor was missed, but Rivers was the real reason those deep catches were made. If Ike were there, it may have been just as bad. Was it Brown or Allen getting roasted by Rivers? Tomlin didn't have this team quite as prepared as perhaps he could have, but a lot of that falls on the shoulders of the "professional" athletes.

NCSteeler
12-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I love Tomlin, have always liked him , BUT damn this team shows up way unprepared for BAD teams week in and week out. Of course it was similar under Cowher. I hate hate hate the Belicheater but his teams put up dominate performances against crap teams, that's coaching. Maybe we come in the with the idea were not gonna run up the score play nice and end up beaten, maybe the Pats come in with the idea screw you here's a fine day to get on the stat sheet. IDK, but one works one doesn't

Edman
12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Rivers played a game to show people that he is better than Ben.

Except he still isn't.

Yesterday didn't really prove much. Rivers is still a ringless choke artist and had lost to Ben more than won, including the postseason.

I'll still take Ben over Phyllis.

Moose
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Scream at player's AFTER game .....dumb ass crap. Reverse motivation. Must have read, " Coaching for Dummies".

zulater
12-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Time to start acting like a head coach and get these guys "up" for the next game. I didn't get to see the game yesterday, but from what I am reading, I'm glad I didn't. This seems to be Tomlin's worst year as a head coach. I hope he does some introspective work this off season and makes the "necessary adjustments."

That said, it sounds like several things happened yesterday. Ben was rusty, but got in a groove a little too late. Rivers played a game to show people that he is better than Ben. Ike Taylor was missed, but Rivers was the real reason those deep catches were made. If Ike were there, it may have been just as bad. Was it Brown or Allen getting roasted by Rivers? Tomlin didn't have this team quite as prepared as perhaps he could have, but a lot of that falls on the shoulders of the "professional" athletes.

Primarily Brown, and with the excpetion of one or two passes they were getting ate up on the underneath stuff. Brown was so bad that he's was benched midway through the 3rd quarter.

Ike would have made a huge difference yesterday imo.

FAB802
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
The coaches as a whole need to stop talking and start coaching. Anyone who thinks Rivers is even in Ben's league is insane by the way.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Scream at player's AFTER game .....dumb ass crap. Reverse motivation. Must have read, " Coaching for Dummies".

I read an article from one of the beat writers that stated that he felt that the players the players under Cowher feared him more than the current players fear Tomlin. He said that both coaches were respected and liked, but that Cowher had that extra element of fear that Tomlin doesn't.

One thing is for sure, a young Cowher got right into the face the baddest player on the team in Lloyd told him what to do..."rush the Quarterback". I'm not sure what goes on with Tomlin, but sometimes screaming at a team doesn't produce the desired results.

Psycho Ward 86
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I read an article from one of the beat writers that stated that he felt that the players the players under Cowher feared him more than the current players fear Tomlin. He said that both coaches were respected and liked, but that Cowher had that extra element of fear that Tomlin doesn't.

One thing is for sure, a young Cowher got right into the face the baddest player on the team in Lloyd told him what to do..."rush the Quarterback". I'm not sure what goes on with Tomlin, but sometimes screaming at a team doesn't produce the desired results.

good point. people need to realize theres different ways to be a successful coach in this league. Chuck Noll and Tony Dungy were quiet guys. Hell, everyone says Dungy never yelled one damn time but they turned out pretty well

Devilsdancefloor
12-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I am beginning to feel like this is all lip service by the coachs

xtrainer58
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Best honest article I've read in some time about the coach .... I like him , but his cliche press conferences have started to get on my last nerve ....

Count Steeler
12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Catch his explanation for not going for two points once the Steelers pulled within 34-16?
Better sit down.
“Until we stopped them, it was going to be insignificant,” Tomlin said. “I was holding the two-point plays for that reason and that reason only. Now, we still have them in our hip pocket. Those specialty plays, we didn’t want to put on tape unless we had an opportunity to close the gap. As you can see, we didn’t.”
Well, either you’re in the game or not.
Which was it?
A two-point conversion there puts the Steelers within two TDs and two more conversions of tying the score with 6:07 to play.
Unrealistic, sure, but Tomlin apparently saw it as realistic enough to keep the franchise quarterback on the field, right?
On the bright side, they can take all those wicky-wacky, two-point plays next week to Dallas, right there in the hip pocket.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3102976-85/tomlin-steelers-smoked#ixzz2EeOBnYw4

Lame O. You play to win every game. If not, sit down Ben and don't leave him out there with the possibility of getting hurt. As well as Troy, James, et al.

Steeldude
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
But I thought Tomlin was the greatest. Tomlin is full of it. I don't think he even knows what he says.

tube517
12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I like Tomlin but this year has been a head scratcher.

I haven't seen any tough talk worth a damn

SteelerEmpire
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
This team does not have any focus, heart, or real seriousness to win games each week. I've been saying that for years. It's the only thing that has kept this team from "dynasty" status because the raw talent is certainly there. Since the 08' team, it's been difficult to watch. It hasn't been getting better either, only worse.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I will say this as long as they come out flat and look uninterested they will suck vs below average to average competition , it is becoming a culture look back over the past few years and look at some of the losses and or near losses to far lessor opponents this is not an anomaly it is almost standard operating procedure .....

the look like they are on auto pilot and expecting to win because they are the Steelers .... it just does not work like that in the NFL you have to show up and play to win and we are not ... that is on the Coaching staff for allowing it ...

we have far to many players who I call chest thumpers ...look at me kind of guys ... well I say this to them .. I am looking right at you !!! and if I am honest I do not like what I see

MAN UP not just sometimes ALL THE TIME

Count Steeler
12-10-2012, 04:15 PM
If it was talent alone, the Cowboys would have won the last 3 SBs. Obviously there is much more involved. There has to be the mental fortitude to show up each and every week. You have to be able to look your opponent in the eye and say "I know you want what I have, but you can't have it. And I'm going to kick your ass for trying to get it".

Somebody should have ran Phylis and taken a penalty for the team. At least try to win 1 battle against a 2nd rate O Line.

ALLD
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't remember losing to so many bad teams when we had talent while Cowher was coach.

SCSTILLER
12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I like Tomlin but this year has been a head scratcher.

I haven't seen any tough talk worth a damn

All the tough talk is just lip service. I cannot stand it when I see the game slipping away and you see Tomlin on the sideline standing there looking "sternly" at the field. If you ask me, he is no better than Cowher was in Cowhers last season when he was just riding out the season after winning the SB to his retirement. You never, well, at least I never have, seen Tomlin gathering the Offense/Defense/Special Teams/Whatever Team together to fire them up. I know he likes to let the coaches coach, but sometimes you have to put your fucking nose in there and be the head honcho!

BnG_Hevn
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
I love Tomlin, have always liked him , BUT damn this team shows up way unprepared for BAD teams week in and week out. Of course it was similar under Cowher. I hate hate hate the Belicheater but his teams put up dominate performances against crap teams, that's coaching. Maybe we come in the with the idea were not gonna run up the score play nice and end up beaten, maybe the Pats come in with the idea screw you here's a fine day to get on the stat sheet. IDK, but one works one doesn't

Have you thought that instead of playing "down to bad teams", that this team loses b/c it's just not a good team?

SCSTILLER
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Have you thought that instead of playing "down to bad teams", that this team loses b/c it's just not a good team?

You know what BnG, you might be onto something. I would like to think that they are a good team that is poorly coached, but it is possible this just isn't a good team this year!

SteelMayhem72
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I saw a lot of the "analysts" predictions before the season and about 2 thirds of them predicted us to not even make the playoffs and I laughed it off thinkin they were crazy...I think they knew a little more than I knew at the point even though we still control our own destiny to the playoffs just have to DO IT!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I do believe Tomlin can be a little too buddy buddy with the players...I think he needs to draw the line and define the line a little more!!

BlastFurnace
12-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't remember losing to so many bad teams when we had talent while Cowher was coach.

There were bad losses under BC, but I don't remember a string of them in the same season. Tomlin teams have done this in 2 separate years. 2009 and 2012.

SteelMayhem72
12-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I do believe Tomlin can be a little too buddy buddy with the players...I think he needs to draw the line and define the line a little more!!

jb500ex
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
There were bad losses under BC, but I don't remember a string of them in the same season. Tomlin teams have done this in 2 separate years. 2009 and 2012.
tomlin teams have come out like this since his second game itsx not just two seasons. we have struggled to beat bad teams his entire time as the head coach and we struggle to beat anyone.

X-Terminator
12-10-2012, 10:37 PM
You know what BnG, you might be onto something. I would like to think that they are a good team that is poorly coached, but it is possible this just isn't a good team this year!

Injuries have had a hell of a lot to do with that. The Steelers have played part or all of this season without the following players:

Ben
Troy
Ike
Deebo
Woodley
Colon
Gilbert
Adams
Redman
Mendy
Dwyer
Lefty
A. Brown
Cotch
D. Johnson
DeCastro

That is a hell of a lot of talent that has been sitting on the trainer's table this season. I believe a healthy Steelers team, or even just a healthy Ben, is at worst 9-4 right now. We can sit around and throw all of the blame at the coaches and curse the ground Mike Tomlin walks on. Those guys do deserve their share of criticism, no question about it. And yeah, I know..."every team has injuries." But not every team can overcome those injuries, especially when one of them is your franchise QB.

steel striker
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Injuries have had a hell of a lot to do with that. The Steelers have played part or all of this season without the following players:

Ben
Troy
Ike
Deebo
Woodley
Colon
Gilbert
Adams
Redman
Mendy
Dwyer
Lefty
A. Brown
Cotch
D. Johnson
DeCastro

That is a hell of a lot of talent that has been sitting on the trainer's table this season. I believe a healthy Steelers team, or even just a healthy Ben, is at worst 9-4 right now. We can sit around and throw all of the blame at the coaches and curse the ground Mike Tomlin walks on. Those guys do deserve their share of criticism, no question about it. And yeah, I know..."every team has injuries." But not every team can overcome those injuries, especially when one of them is your franchise QB.

Plus the timing of the injury to Ben just before the two games with the ravens & the last part of the season. As well know this is you need to be playing your best football.