PDA

View Full Version : "Lateral" turnover for a SD TD

SteelerFanInStl
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I just saw the "highlight" of this play for the first time. How the f#@k could they possibly review that play and still call it a lateral and a TD??? I swear that all of these officials and replay people are just incompetent.

And, WTF is Brown doing trying to pick up that ball instead of just diving on it or knocking it out of bounds??? I swear that our players have no football sense.

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
You think our guys would have learned by now. If there is a loose ball, jump on it. You never know how the officials are going to call the play. That is one thing I remember from high school football. Whistle or no whistle, cover an open football, you never know what the call will be.

Devilsdancefloor
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
You think our guys would have learned by now. If there is a loose ball, jump on it. You never know how the officials are going to call the play. That is one thing I remember from high school football. Whistle or no whistle, cover an open football, you never know what the call will be.

I do not get the lack of concentration in all phase of the game today

Psycho Ward 86
12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
wallace and brown were both damn jokes today. They both cost us 2 touchdown-swings, brown with his stupidity on that screen pass and wallace on that blonde-bomber drop. A little off target but right in and out of the palms. And no, neither of them redeemed themselves with their garbage time touchdowns.

FAB802
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
It happens at least once a year, at a horrible time, in a game they have to win. I don't understand how professional football players can be so nonchalant about the ball being loose on the field.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
I just saw the "highlight" of this play for the first time. How the f#@k could they possibly review that play and still call it a lateral and a TD??? I swear that all of these officials and replay people are just incompetent.

And, WTF is Brown doing trying to pick up that ball instead of just diving on it or knocking it out of bounds??? I swear that our players have no football sense.

Tomlin would bench a guy like Mendenhall for something like that. Brown played that like a scared Pee Wee player about to get pounced on by the other team.

steelreserve
12-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Honestly, the replay didn't look like it proved anything one way or the other. He let go of the ball at about the 4, and it hit Paulson in the ass at about the 4. It was too close to call, so they went with the ruling on the field.

Our players all ought to know that if there's any doubt whether it's a turnover, the refs tend to err on the side of assuming it's a turnover and sorting it out later if need be. Ever since the Ed Hochuli screwup in the Denver game a couple years ago, they won't blow the whistle on anything that's 50-50 or even 80-20. Today was a perfect example of the need to assume the worst and play all the way through the end of the play, because regardless of how the call goes, you can still put yourself at a tremendous advantage or disadvantage with what you do between the (non-)turnover and the whistle. Because if they can't figure it out, which happens A LOT, you're stuck with the result.

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 06:33 PM
IMO, Brown was trying to do too much. I think he was trying to be Superman and trying to get the ball out of the endzone (No, I'm not bashing Antonio either).

Godfather
12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
IMO, Brown was trying to do too much. I think he was trying to be Superman and trying to get the ball out of the endzone (No, I'm not bashing Antonio either).

You think he was trying to pick it up and chuck it downfield for an incompletion? That would have been a smart move--worst that can happen is intentional grounding/safety which you were going to get anyway. If that's his thought process I can understand.

But he probably should have been more aware of all the Chargers in the area and just covered it.

Psycho Ward 86
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM

well you should. that was the most laughable field awareness all year. Other than Denarius Moore making a falling catch and trying to run it back the wrong way

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 07:43 PM
You think he was trying to pick it up and chuck it downfield for an incompletion? That would have been a smart move--worst that can happen is intentional grounding/safety which you were going to get anyway. If that's his thought process I can understand.

But he probably should have been more aware of all the Chargers in the area and just covered it.

Yeah, cause that's exactly what I was saying. :rolleyes: I guess no one would have thought he would have picked it up and ran out of the endzone.

DarthSpartans20
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Lateral or no lateral, Paulson got blown up on the play. He does his job this is a non-issue and Ben and Co. are still driving.

Godfather
12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, cause that's exactly what I was saying. :rolleyes: I guess no one would have thought he would have picked it up and ran out of the endzone.

Not sure he would have had a chance to make it out of the end zone. He was pretty far back and there were a lot of Chargers in the area.

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Not sure he would have had a chance to make it out of the end zone. He was pretty far back and there were a lot of Chargers in the area.

That's what I'm trying to say. That he was doing trying to do to much even though he should have just covered the ball.

Steeldude
12-09-2012, 10:12 PM
The Steelers fail to do things like hold on to the football and dive for loose balls, but they do remember to celebrate routine plays. Poor coaching? Tomlin needs to put an end to the showboating once and for all.

86WARD
12-09-2012, 11:23 PM
The Golden Child should have fallen on the ball...

zulater
12-10-2012, 05:46 AM
The Golden Child should have fallen on the ball...

The ref should have called it right and he wouldn't have had to.

It really didn't help that an official's call went against the Steelers in the third quarter. Roethlisberger's quick pass to Brown on the right sideline hit Steelers tight end David Paulson in the back and was ruled a lateral. Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer recovered in the end zone for a touchdown that gave San Diego a 27-3 lead. "I didn't think it was even close to being a lateral," Roethlisberger said. "We run that play every day in practice and never have an issue. But I guess that's why I'm not an official."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-an-embarrassing-loss-665740/#ixzz2EeHcPeIs

Carl1970
12-10-2012, 06:29 AM
If Haley (and ultimately) Tomlin, would have realized the risks of that play were greater than the rewards, they would have called something more "safe"

Godfather
12-10-2012, 06:52 AM
The ref should have called it right and he wouldn't have had to.

DA CHARGERS PAYED DA REFS!

zulater
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
DA CHARGERS PAYED DA REFS!

Didn't say that, or imply it. But quite frankly the refs are awful. Go back a few games and I wasn't shy about saying that the refs all but handed the Steelers the game against the Chiefs. And I'm not even claiming the refs cost us this game. But I absolutely will state that was a foward pass, not a fumble. That was clearly evident on the replay. Clearly that ball had a foward projectory when it hit Paulson's back. A foot might not be a lot, but I'd easily estimate that it was quite evident on the replay that the ball went at least a foot foward from where Ben threw the ball to where it hit's 81's backside.

And seeing as this thread is about that particularly play, my comenting on it is in no way an excuse or finger pointing towards the refs.

86WARD
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Refs were terrible. Have been all season. Zu is right. It was clearly forward and ahould have been overturned. in most of these cases, it's the replay officials that are really blowing these calls and they haven't changed all season...

Ben, Paulson, Brown, Refs...they all fucked up that play...lol.

Butch
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Didn't say that, or imply it. But quite frankly the refs are awful. Go back a few games and I wasn't shy about saying that the refs all but handed the Steelers the game against the Chiefs. And I'm not even claiming the refs cost us this game. But I absolutely will state that was a foward pass, not a fumble. That was clearly evident on the replay. Clearly that ball had a foward projectory when it hit Paulson's back. A foot might not be a lot, but I'd easily estimate that it was quite evident on the replay that the ball went at least a foot foward from where Ben threw the ball to where it hit's 81's backside.

And seeing as this thread is about that particularly play, my comenting on it is in no way an excuse or finger pointing towards the refs.

While I agree that officiating sucks that particular play wasn't as obvious as the non-pass interference call that should have gone against the chargers. Not saying that would have made a difference with the way our O was playing but you never know. I also understand that calls are missed it's just part of the game and good teams overcome bad calls. Call or no call the loss can for this one can be put squarely on the Steelers shoulders!!!

On a side note I can not figure this team out. If it's not the D, it's the O or Special teams. Rarely do we play a whole game were everyone is on the same page. From WR's dropping passes or fumbling to a D that can't stop a single 3rd down play or Special teams making a bad punt or not covering and the other team gets the big momentum changer. Sad thing is at this point I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm afraid that when I do it will be that oncoming train ready to run me over. I can only hope someone ANYONE figures it out soon and we get back to winning football.