PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin

GBMelBlount
12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I cannot believe he went for it on a 4th down at mid field down 10.

Throw in the risk of starting Ben while still injured like last year (and lost while exacerbating his injury and causing us to lose to Denver) and I gotta say....

These are not smart decisons.

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Art has to sit Mike down and tell him that this consistent piss poor play against teams we should be stepping on, is NOT the STANDARD!

San Diego has 2nd and 3rd stringers on the O Line. We have only 1 run, an end around with Wallace, that hasn't been between the guards. Ben is not getting protected. If he wasn't Ben, he would have been killed by now.

plenewken
12-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Our offense is pathetic.

GBMelBlount
12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Art has to sit Mike down and tell him that this consistent piss poor play against teams we should be stepping on, is NOT the STANDARD!

San Diego has 2nd and 3rd stringers on the O Line. We have only 1 run, an end around with Wallace, that hasn't been between the guards. Ben is not getting protected. If he wasn't Ben, he would have been killed by now.

I will be honest with you Count, it seems like our team relaxes a bit more when Ben is in there....just my opinion...but sometimes when our team is under a bit more duress (like last week) they SEEM kick up their level of play.

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I will be honest with you Count, it seems like our team relaxes a bit more when Ben is in there....just my opinion...but sometimes when our team is under a bit more duress (like last week) they SEEM kick up their level of play.

There has to be a sense of urgency. For now we are ahead of the Bengals and we control our path to the playoffs. There is no reason for this lackadaisical play. They are professionals and they know what is on the line. The coaching staff should know this as well.

X-Terminator
12-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Dwyer doesn't have the speed to get outside consistently. The OL has not been getting any push and creating holes, which makes a back like Dwyer ineffective. They have also been getting beat with rushes from the right side of the line - Beachum's side. The offensive game plan as a whole hasn't been good either. Where are the short passes to take the pressure off Ben?

salamander
12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Tomlin doesn't do too well getting this team prepared against inferior opponents.

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Dwyer doesn't have the speed to get outside consistently. The OL has not been getting any push and creating holes, which makes a back like Dwyer ineffective. They have also been getting beat with rushes from the right side of the line - Beachum's side. The offensive game plan as a whole hasn't been good either. Where are the short passes to take the pressure off Ben?

They also have Rainey to mix it up. Just a very poor effort.

SteelerFanInStl
12-09-2012, 02:19 PM
It's time for the whole coaching staff to be held responsible for the piss poor play against inferior opponents.

I'm so disgusted with this team right now.

GBMelBlount
12-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Completely agree. I am just speechless at the breakdown in all areas with regard to our offense.

However Steeldude made a good point last week that he felt our offense was ineffective in the first half because the defense did not respect Batch's arm and was playing the run and short pass...in the second half...charlie completed a few passes down field and THEN things seemed to open up...maybe this is a better D.

Just so many variables it is hard to isolate each problem and all of the causes....

jb500ex
12-09-2012, 02:30 PM
non of this matters as long as tomlins shades look good

X-Terminator
12-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I'll tell you what...Tomlin is going to have a LOT of explaining to do, because these kinds of performances have been happening WAY too often. I've defended the guy a lot, but right now, he deserves all of the criticism coming his way. It is unacceptable to continually have his team lack focus against mediocre-to-bad teams and not being able to put together back-to-back solid games in general.

Steeldude
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
The direction of the run plays seems easy to see for the opposing defense.

dislocatedday
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Tomlin doesn't do too well getting this team prepared against inferior opponents.

This has been a consistent problem during Tomlin's tenure, although this year the problem seems to have become worse. It's painful to watch, but give San Diego credit as well today. They are executing and hustling more than the Steelers.

salamander
12-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Like X-T, I've usually either kept my mouth shut or defended Tomlin, but after today, He's definitely on my shit list. Yes, I know players have to execute and blah blah blah but he's the head coach and is supposed to have his team ready for these games.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 02:57 PM
This team lost a lot of locker room leadership during this past offseason. It's been showing all year. Yeah, some of it falls on Tomlin, but these guys are professionals. Where the FUCK is their pride? They should have eaten this team for lunch.

JayC
12-09-2012, 02:57 PM
don't worry tomlin will get them ready to play against dallas. but then they will lay a turd the week after

X-Terminator
12-09-2012, 03:03 PM
don't worry tomlin will get them ready to play against dallas. but then they will lay a turd the week after

I sure hope so, but I'm not exactly swimming with confidence that he will. I simply don't understand it...they can get up for the good teams, but can't do the same for bad teams. Look at what they've done this season - impressive road wins against the Giants, Ravens and Bengals, and they damn near beat the Ravens at home 3 weeks ago with a depleted squad. But they have lost to 4 teams with a grand total of 11 wins this season. I mean really...WTF?

st33lersguy
12-09-2012, 03:15 PM
The REFUSAL to get this team prepared to play hard against shitty teams is absolutely unacceptable. Getting your asses kicked at home by a 4-8 team? Allowing a washed up TE and a cerebrum of crappy recievers to get open EVERY SINGLE THIRD DOWN? Allowing a pile of garbage running back to convert a 3rd and 13 UP THE MIDDLE! No offense at all! Joe Biden could have had this team better prepared than Tomlin

dislocatedday
12-09-2012, 03:20 PM
great news......the Bengals just lost....Steelers still have 6th slot after this week.

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 03:21 PM
great news......the Bengals just lost....Steelers still have 6th slot after this week.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Goes to show how weak the AFC is this year.

dislocatedday
12-09-2012, 03:26 PM
at least if the Steelers get in the playoffs we know they will not have to play any total crap teams........so we as fans will not have to worry about them playing down to the competition which seems to be their modus operandi

stillers4me
12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
the Ravens lost!

steelpride12
12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Momlin.

43Hitman
12-09-2012, 03:40 PM
This week is a push, thankfully. Tomlin has to be held accountable for losses like this. Several times now he has failed to have this team ready for inferior opponents. I understand that the players have to execute, but some of the coaching decisions today were absolutely terrible. Going for it on your own 50 while down by 10 when your offense hasn't shown anything at all in the short yardage game is just plain ignorant. There is no excuse for that kind of decision, Tomlin has to bring his game up.

salamander
12-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Momlin.

We get it. You don't like the whole Momlin thing. Stop posting it in every thread.

X-Terminator
12-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Momlin.

Considering that you pretty much blew up the Gameday thread, I'd quit while I'm ahead if I were you.

steelpride12
12-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Considering that you pretty much blew up the Gameday thread, I'd quit while I'm ahead if I were you.

Hey. It's just a typical drunk Steelers loss for me. I was attempting to get banned, but it's not happening. Sadly. So I'll just keep hush hush today and tomorrow I'll be back tomorrow you nerdy black man :D

Godfather
12-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Going for it was questionable given the performance of the O-line to that point. Plus it was asking too much of a defense that was trying hard but was in an impossible position.

That said, going for one late in the game was a worse decision. Did us absolutely no good. Go for two and get it, and it's a two score game. We can kick off, get a three and out, and have time to score twice. Longshot but doable.

stillers4me
12-09-2012, 04:36 PM
We gift wrapped 14 points for them. One was that screwy play in the endzone and the other was the interception just short of the goal line.

Even playing like dogshit, this game was still winnable.

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
We gift wrapped 14 points for them. One was that screwy play in the endzone and the other was the interception just short of the goal line.

Very true, but we only made it close because San Diego went into prevent. I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but when the ball goes to the ground, whether the whistle blows or not, the team should treat it as a hot ball. We have been burned too many times now because we don't try and cover every loose ball.

Way too many brain farts on the field. We looked more like we did against the Browns, rather than build on how we looked against the Ravens.

st33lersguy
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
What I am predicting Tomlin was like in the press conference: "Uhhh, we did not play a good game, we did not play physical, we did not execute. Next week we will try to play harder and hopefully we can play better and win."

If asked what he will actually do to ensure that his team actually focuses on a weak opponent: "Well uhhhh, that is a good question ummmm, try and play physical, and uhhhhh..."

Dwinsgames
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I am never one to bash a coach but it is clear to me at this point in time we fans are more emotionally invested in this team than Tomlin is ....

the only question is why ......

I have my suspicions but I will let you all have a crack at it and see if I am alone in my feelings or ????

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I am never one to bash a coach but it is clear to me at this point in time we fans are more emotionally invested in this team than Tomlin is ....

I have my suspicions but I will let you all have a crack at it and see if I am alone in my feelings or ????

You may have alluded to this elsewhere, he is under orders to keep reps of certain players down. If that is the case, he can always fall back on "Well, this is your plan" in a passive aggressive manner instead of standing up to Art? and saying "I'm the coach of this team. I will play to win. You are not telling me who to play."

Psycho Ward 86
12-09-2012, 05:38 PM

oh really? How do you know how tomlin emotionally operates? by what couple seconds of camera time you see him on your tv? lol. hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, we all think of him as the cool collected guy who players love. If we won, people would go out and say tomlin's approach works. You have your complaints, and you seem to be inching at suggestions. What are you suggesting?

Heinz Hitman
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I have always said that he was handed a Super Bowl ready team to begin with. Overrated coach IMO. When you consistently lose to lesser opponents 80% of the blame falls on the coaches.

Dwinsgames
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
we lost to Norv F$%&#$@ Turner for gods sake's !!!!!

Count Steeler
12-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Motivator yes (but today was lacking)
Tactician no (think he relies on his Coordinators)

The one area we know he has said he would contribute to is the special teams. So far, he has not impressed.

FAB802
12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
The man is a mental midget sometimes during the games. When my 14 year old son is questioning him not going for two late when it is obviuosly the right move it's embarrassing. There's no excuse for this team losing to the teams it does. The offensive game plan stunk, and I have no idea what the Hell LeBeau was doing out there. After a great defensive game plan last week he was terrible today. Back to the ten yard cushions on third and five, and no pass rush against a terrible line. With the season on the line the entire team and staff shit the bed. Par for the course this season.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM

It wasn't winnable. San Diego could have put more points on the board, but they shut it down on offense and they went into prevent on defense.

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Everyone acts like this is some type of new phenomena. This has occurred for years, even when Cowher was HC. It makes you wonder, why does it happen.

tube517
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Everyone acts like this is some type of new phenomena. This has occurred for years, even when Cowher was HC. It makes you wonder, why does it happen.

Yeah, this isn't a "Tomlin" only thing. Ever since '92, the Steelers always play down to their garbage opponents. Always. Why do you think the ambulance has been on call since 1992 for all these close fucking games. Look at the last time a garbage QB and unknown WR and TE from SD burnt a LeBeau defense at Pittsburgh?

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 06:33 PM

What troubles me about Tomlin's teams is that they can lose to any bad team at any time. 2009 and 2012 are prime examples. But don't forget 2011 where they barely beat teams QB'd by Curtis Painter, Colt McCoy, Tyler Palko, Blaine Gabbert, and Seneca Wallace.

Cowher may have lost to some bad teams, but for the most part, he didn't lose 4th Qtr leads and he beat bad teams up pretty regularly with a QB not named Ben. Tomlin has Ben in his prime and is always in a dogfight against the dregs of the league.

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
What troubles me about Tomlin's teams is that they can lose to any bad team at any time. 2009 and 2012 are prime examples. But don't forget 2011 where they barely beat teams QB'd by Curtis Painter, Colt McCoy, Tyler Palko, Blaine Gabbert, and Seneca Wallace.

Cowher may have lost to some bad teams, but for the most part, he didn't lose 4th Qtr leads and he beat bad teams up pretty regularly with a QB not named Ben. Tomlin has Ben in his prime and is always in a dogfight against the dregs of the league.

That's not exactly true. There have been games in the Tomlin era where the Steelers have blown out bad teams. However, it seems that majority of the time, the Steelers struggle against bad teams.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
That's not exactly true. There have been games in the Tomlin era where the Steelers have blown out bad teams. However, it seems that majority of the time, the Steelers struggle against bad teams.

Not very often. They only rise to the occassion against better teams.

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Not very often. They only rise to the occassion against better teams.

While it doesn't happen often, it has happened.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I have always said that he was handed a Super Bowl ready team to begin with. Overrated coach IMO.

Norv Turner and Wade Phillips were also handed rosters that were loaded with talent and proceeded to do exactly jack and shit with them. I'm sorry, but that's a bullshit argument. If any schmuck could win a Super Bowl with the "right talent," it wouldn't be a seven-figure-per-year job.

And I also didn't hear one fucking word about how "overrated" Tomlin was last week. Funny how that works out.

st33lersguy
12-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Anyone under the delusion of thinking that the Steelers would have lost to Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland, and San Diego easily in the same season under Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll??

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Anyone under the delusion of thinking that the Steelers would have lost to Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland, and San Diego easily in the same season??

Absolutely. They lost to Oakland, Kansas City, and Cleveland during a 5 game losing streak under Tomlin's watch before.

Last year, they barely beat some terrible teams as well QB'd by Curtis Painter, Tyler Palko, Seneca Wallace, Blaine Gabbert, and Colt McCoy.

It would be entirely believable. This team doesn't have a killer instict or a sense of urgency when playing poor teams.

They should have lost to Kansas City this year as well.

jb500ex
12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
tomlin supporters cut the weve been doing this since cowher. this team has never been this bad year after year against bad teams. this isnt just this year of 09 its been since wonderboys first day. tomlin isnt a good coach. (fan 76) barry switzer and george seifert were handed good teams and won, were they good coaches. tomlin isnt a good coach name one thing he has shown that makes him a good coach

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 07:39 PM
tomlin supporters cut the weve been doing this since cowher. this team has never been this bad year after year against bad teams. this isnt just this year of 09 its been since wonderboys first day. tomlin isnt a good coach. (fan 76) barry switzer and george seifert were handed good teams and won, were they good coaches. tomlin isnt a good coach name one thing he has shown that makes him a good coach

Tomlin cut Joey Porter and made a much better OLB the starter who has done more in six season they Joey did. How about the draft classes we've had as well? Do those not count? Timmons, Woodley, Pouncey, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and etc have done quite a bit IMO.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 07:44 PM

BS. It HAS been going on since Cowher. Barry Switzer and George Seifert? Seifert was before plan B free agency when a truly dominant team could still be built and the team Switzer inherited was built at the very end of the same era. And the only reason Switzer won is because O'Donnell picked the Super Bowl to play like the mediocre journeyman that he was. Completely different time and circumstances. There are NO teams that are as stacked as the 49ers and Cowboys were in the early-to-mid-90s. Not even close. Try again.

jb500ex
12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Tomlin cut Joey Porter and made a much better OLB the starter who has done more in six season they Joey did. How about the draft classes we've had as well? Do those not count? Timmons, Woodley, Pouncey, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and etc have done quite a bit IMO.

lol youre going to use toimmons for your argument. news flash timmons is a average ilb drafted in the first rnd getting paid 10 mill a year. if all our players performed at his level we would have gotten blown out worse then we did. yes timmons was tomlins boy thats a good start showing what tomlin knows

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Look at the Steelers drafts the past 4 years. They haven't been good. Woodley is an average starter...when he plays. His bark is much bigger than his bite.

st33lersguy
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Can't imagine Cowher or Noll standing for this crap. There would have been hell to pay, but Tomlin on the other hand seems to accept it

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
lol youre going to use toimmons for your argument. news flash timmons is a average ilb drafted in the first rnd getting paid 10 mill a year. if all our players performed at his level we would have gotten blown out worse then we did. yes timmons was tomlins boy thats a good start showing what tomlin knows

Average? You're joking right? He's played better than any other LB on this team this year. Other than the past three games from James, Lawrence has played with more heart and has pursued opposing players better than any other LB on this team this season. He's making great reads, he's pursuing opposing players, he's putting pressure on opposing QBs. Apparently, that's not enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the Steelers drafts the past 4 years. They haven't been good. Woodley is an average starter...when he plays. His bark is much bigger than his bite.

Yeah, because Timmons, Pouncey, Brown, Sanders, and others haven't done well.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Can't imagine Cowher or Noll standing for this crap. There would have been hell to pay, but Tomlin on the other hand seems to accept it

Did you watch this team throughout the 80s? Did you watch this team rack up 3 losing seasons and 4 non-playoff seasons between 1998-2003? Laughable statement.

st33lersguy
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM

The same guy that drafted Spaeth, Mundy, Limas, Bruce Davis, Dixon, Ziggy, Urbik. Sanders and Timmons, are OK nothing more and Wallace has quit on this team. Take a look at our 08-09 drafts, the only players out of those classes who ever showed flashes of skill were an inconsistent RB with fumbling issues, a WR who was only good for 2.5 years, and a steadily improving CB in his 1st year as a starter. Overall Tomlin has been a poor drafter. And Joey Porter was cut because he was a cap casualty who the Steelers could not afford to keep, and his replacement was molded into a god player under Cowher.

DarthSpartans20
12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
, were they good coaches. tomlin isnt a good coach name one thing he has shown that makes him a good coach

Two Super Bowl appearances in six years.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 08:01 PM
The same guy that drafted Spaeth, Mundy, Limas, Bruce Davis, Dixon, Ziggy, Urbik. Sanders and Timmons, are OK nothing more and Wallace has quit on this team. Take a look at our 08-09 drafts, the only players out of those classes who ever showed flashes of skill were an inconsistent RB with fumbling issues, a WR who was only good for 2.5 years, and a steadily improving CB in his 1st year as a starter. Overall Tomlin has been a poor drafter

Colbert had a significant say in those picks too.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Did you watch this team throughout the 80s? Did you watch this team rack up 3 losing seasons and 4 non-playoff seasons between 1998-2003? Laughable statement.

To be fair though, Cowher's 98 and 99 teams were picked apart by FA.

2003 was just part of the every 3 year curse with this team...2000, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012?

steelerdude15
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
The same guy that drafted Spaeth, Mundy, Limas, Bruce Davis, Dixon, Ziggy, Urbik. Sanders and Timmons, are OK nothing more and Wallace has quit on this team. Take a look at our 08-09 drafts, the only players out of those classes who ever showed flashes of skill were an inconsistent RB with fumbling issues, a WR who was only good for 2.5 years, and a steadily improving CB in his 1st year as a starter. Overall Tomlin has been a poor drafter

Yep, because each and every draft pick works out for every other team in the NFL. Lets look at all the great draft picks from Noll in the eighties and some of Cowher's picks in the nineties and early two thousands. You will not get perfection out of each draft class.

You're quick to point out the issues with Mendy and Mikey, yet say nothing about Maurkice and Antonio. They were drafted by him and they both are Pro Bowl players. To say he's a poor drafter is a tad bit of an over exaggeration.

Psycho Ward 86
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
2003 was just part of the every 3 year curse with this team...2000, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012?

good lord. cute patterns and witchcraft arent an excuse for jack.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM

LOL...I know, but isn't it a weird pattern? I already cancelled my NFL Sunday Ticket for 2015 :)

steeldawg
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
How in the world would mike wallace be considered a poor draft pick??? He was a third round pick!!

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
How in the world would mike wallace be considered a poor draft pick??? He was a third round pick!!

He wasn't. He was a terrific pick. He has flaws, but he's still a good receiver.

st33lersguy
12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Two Super Bowl appearances in six years.

Riding the team Cowher built.

zulater
12-09-2012, 08:15 PM

I don't even think Cowher would buy that. Hell in fact you could just as easily say Cowher's early success was built mostly on Noll holdovers. Lloyd, O'Donnell, Foster, Dawson, John Jackson, Rod woodson, all Noll's players.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't even think Cowher would buy that. Hell in fact you could just as easily say Cowher's early success was built mostly on Noll holdovers. Lloyd, O'Donnell, Foster, Dawson, John Jackson, Rod woodson, all Noll's players.

Every team goes through cycles. The 18 year run by the 49'ers was an annomally. This team, unless Colbert and Tomlin begin drafting better, will have their window shut when Ben retires.

DarthSpartans20
12-09-2012, 08:28 PM

That makes absolutely no sense. So Tomlin is supposed to come in here and take the team completely start over simply because he wants it to be all of his players and schemes? So Tomlin should apologize for coming into what is considered the best run organization in sports?
You do know that just because a coach takes over for another coach someone still has to coach the team right?
You do realize there was a 2 year period between when Cowher left and the Steelers won the Super Bowl right ?

steeldawg
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Its not a matter of who drafts better, drafting is a gamble. It boils down to utilizing talent, in game decisions, and preperation, and right now tomlin seems to be coming up up short in all three.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
That makes absolutely no sense. So Tomlin is supposed to come in here and take the team completely start over simply because he wants it to be all of his players and schemes? So Tomlin should apologize for coming into what is considered the best run organization in sports?
You do know that just because a coach takes over for another coach someone still has to coach the team right?
You do realize there was a 2 year period between when Cowher left and the Steelers won the Super Bowl right ?

I agree. The fact that team was so stacked, made the team attractive to any candidate.

86WARD
12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't mind him going for it...but the play call was too predictable. EVERYONE knew it was going to be up the middle without a lead blocker...EVERYONE.

zulater
12-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Don't mind him going for it...but the play call was too predictable. EVERYONE knew it was going to be up the middle without a lead blocker...EVERYONE.

Very slow developing play.

Godfather
12-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Every team goes through cycles. The 18 year run by the 49'ers was an annomally. This team, unless Colbert and Tomlin begin drafting better, will have their window shut when Ben retires.

The window shuts when Ben retires, period. Unless we luck out and draft another franchise QB.

We had some STACKED teams in the 1990s. But we also had Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell. Mike Tomczak, and Kordell Stewart.

fansince'76
12-10-2012, 10:57 AM
The window shuts when Ben retires, period. Unless we luck out and draft another franchise QB.

This.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
No quality wins since when ????? I mean really we have not played anybody and still can not win consistently

Giants ???? middle of the road team nothing more
Redskins see Giants ....

Ravens ?? perhaps the luckiest team in the league this year , could as easily have twice as many losses .... but the one thing they normally do is find a way to win whereas we find ways to lose ....

if we come up against a Denver or Houston in the playoffs we are DONE with a Capital D ...be honest with yourself we have not beaten a TRUE QUALITY opponent all season ( in fact other than week 1 who have we played that should be considered QUALITY ? ) NOBODY ... I love the Steelers as much ( or more ) than the next guy but I refuse to be blinded by that love for the team to not be able to see the writing on the wall ...sure we have some quality players and maybe more than most other teams do but we do not play like a quality team most Sundays ... this team does not look emotionally invested in the game and far to many guys are just waiting to thump their chest while making a normal play that should be expected of them as a Pro player ...

Maybe it is me , maybe it is the change in culture of the team , maybe it is society itself these days ... but in my opinion these guys need a lesson or two in humility , The Barry Sanders school of act like you have been there before Humility .... seems like nearly every time one of our WR drop a ball with close def coverage they are motioning for a flag even when its clear they just did not make a play they should have made .... no humility !! no accountability !! always looking to place blame on why they did not succeed instead of simply just looking in the mirror for the solution to the equation they are looking to blame someone else ...

Tomlin is where it starts and stops . cliche after cliche is getting old ACTIONS speak louder than words ...

you want results MAKE results the only option , you bench RBs who fumble Bench WR's that drop catchable balls ... make people be accountable if they can not do it alone ... they say winning breeds success , then complacency breeds losing .... our team has been complacent .....

a complacent mentality is a losing mentality , a team not ready to play because they look past opponents or take win for granted is a team that will lose and we have witnessed it time and time again Just because we are the Steelers does not mean a team will lay down for you , you still have to EARN the W and we are not a team that forces lesser teams to earn anything ...

again that is on Tomlin for not making people accountable for so long ... it looks like he is starting to but consistency is key and he has not been consistent in those efforts ..in fact the only thing Tomlin is consistent with is his cliche talk ...

Wake up Mikey its time to become a real coach !!!

HollywoodSteel
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I try not to overreact out of emotion, and I know that Tomlin has a lot of wins under his belt but anytime I've ever asked the question, "what makes Tomlin good at his job?" Nobody has ever even tried to answer the question. Here's what I know for sure: he's a bad clock manager and not the best in game adjuster, but most things regarding head coaching go on behind the scenes, so I'll ask again, what does he do well? I know what makes Belichick good. He is a great strategist. He can watch film and out coach you. I know that he is a stickler in practice for getting every detail right. But what does Tomlin do better than your average coach? I thought he might be a good motivator, but clearly not.

I'd really like to hear thoughtful informed answers here.

GBMelBlount
12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Hollywoodsteel

I try not to overreact out of emotion, and I know that Tomlin has a lot of wins under his belt but anytime I've ever asked the question, "what makes Tomlin good at his job?" Nobody has ever even tried to answer the question. Here's what I know for sure: he's a bad clock manager and not the best in game adjuster, but most things regarding head coaching go on behind the scenes, so I'll ask again, what does he do well?

I know what makes Belichick good. He is a great strategist. He can watch film and out coach you. I know that he is a stickler in practice for getting every detail right. But what does Tomlin do better than your average coach? I thought he might be a good motivator, but clearly not.

I'd really like to hear thoughtful informed answers here.

Just like Cowher, Tomlin seems satisfied after winning the super bowl...he does not have the same intensity as when he came here.

Belichik is competitive as hell....always. I respect that.

X-Terminator
12-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Just like Cowher, Tomlin seems satisfied after winning the super bowl...he does not have the same intensity as when he came here.

Belichik is competitive as hell....always. I respect that.

That's because Tomlin was criticized for being a hard-ass when he came here, by both players and the media. Remember all the flak he got for his tough practices and training camp his first season? As a result, he softens his stance so that the players will "like" him more, and that is the kiss of death, because now when it's time to be a hard-ass, he's not taken as seriously as he would have had he told all those guys to piss off back then and let them all know that he was the boss. I believe the Mike Tomlin you saw in his first 2 seasons is the REAL Mike Tomlin, not the one you've seen the past several years. There is no doubt in my mind that he is every bit as intense as his predecessor.

That being said, his decision-making and his strategy during games are a bit lacking. He's made too many questionable decisions that have influenced games. And I think he gives too much free reign to his coordinators.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
complacency is like shit ... it rolls downhill

The Steelers Job would be an easy one to grow far to comfortable in , lets face it they are not a franchise that has the propensity to make wholesale changes in its coaching staff 3 head coaches since the 1960s is proof of that philosophy .... if Mike wants to remain here he is going to have to regain the respect of his players whom I believe take him for granted as being a bit on the soft side , Omar Epps must mandate wholesale changes in the way he goes about preparation with his players , he must raise his standards so they raise theirs , players are going to have to be more accountable for their shortcomings on game day and only Tomlin can demand that ..... Mike must find a way to reach his players because the manner in which he is doing it now falls short .........

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Imported/BioPix/C/bio_33/omar-epps-new1.jpg https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTayh7YCoGnc9O5WeS8wuTgbX0VR3_On W1j-fgt59CPywQC4pf4

Psycho Ward 86
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
That's because Tomlin was criticized for being a hard-ass when he came here, by both players and the media. Remember all the flak he got for his tough practices and training camp his first season? As a result, he softens his stance so that the players will "like" him more, and that is the kiss of death, because now when it's time to be a hard-ass, he's not taken as seriously as he would have had he told all those guys to piss off back then and let them all know that he was the boss. I believe the Mike Tomlin you saw in his first 2 seasons is the REAL Mike Tomlin, not the one you've seen the past several years. There is no doubt in my mind that he is every bit as intense as his predecessor.

^QFT. Real talk right there. I think that post answers a lot of people's questions and straightens out a lot of comments

fansince'76
12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
That's because Tomlin was criticized for being a hard-ass when he came here, by both players and the media. Remember all the flak he got for his tough practices and training camp his first season?

Yes. I very vividly recall him getting the blame from many for the team hitting the wall in December of the '07 season because he ran a "meat grinder" of a training camp.

steelerdude15
12-11-2012, 01:23 AM

That being said, his decision-making and his strategy during games are a bit lacking. He's made too many questionable decisions that have influenced games. And I think he gives too much free reign to his coordinators.

Post of the year.

zulater
12-11-2012, 05:12 AM
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/35186-tomlins-record-against-losing-teams-well-below-the-norm-

Fans have been screaming for a long time about how the Steelers play down to the level of their competition and how Mike Tomlin too often doesn't have his team ready against lesser opponents.

The fans are right.

Research conducted by the blog’s crack investigative team, shows the widely held belief that the Steelers frequently are not ready for bottomfeeders is correct.

In Tomlin's six season with the Steelers, they've been been to two Super Bowls and won one of them. They’ve made the playoffs in four of his first five seasons. He took over an elite NFL franchise from Bill Cowher in 2007 and it remains so today. But there's almost no denying the fact his teams lose an inordinate amount of times to weak opponents.

Tomlin was compared with four other successful NFL coaches, Bill Belichick. Tom Coughlin, John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy. In the case of Belichick, Coughlin and McCarthy the comparison was from 2007 until today. The comparison with Harbaugh begins in 2008, his first season in Baltimore. Just for fun, we also threw in the final 93 games (a tie was omitted) of Cowher's Steelers tenure.

A staggering 35 percent of the Steelers loses under Tomlin have come against teams that finished the season with a losing record. McCarthy was the only coach remotely close to Tomlin in losing to losing teams. (This is based on season record, not the record of the opponent at the time of the game.)

Losses to
Coach Record Winning pct. losing teams Pct.

Belichick 74-19 .795 4 .210
Coughlin 57-36 .612 6 .167
Harbaugh 53-24 .688 4 .167
McCarthy 64-29 .688 8 .276
Tomlin 62-31 .667 11 .354
Cowher 61-31 .663 7 .225

Tomlin record for losing to losing teams is odd. All of the defeats have come in three seasons. The Steelers lost to Denver (7-9), the Jets (4-12) and the Ravens (5-11) in 2007. They lost to Chicago (7-9), Kansas City 4-12, and Oakland and Cleveland (5-11) in 2009. This season they’ve lost to Oakland (3-10), Tennessee (4-9) and Cleveland and San Diego (5-8).

GBMelBlount
12-11-2012, 05:24 AM

Not to turn this into an XT love fest but that is a great point. Perhaps he is walking a tight rope. Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Having wrestled AND cut a ton of weight I know what it is like to "burn out." However I have always liked a coach that cracks the whip and conditions the hell out of his team. Personally, I have always felt the benefits of intense training for most competitive athletes at their physical pique (20 to 30) benefits them more than hurts.

Shoes
12-11-2012, 07:13 AM
I like Mike T......and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for starting as a HC at such an early age.....not easy. But as a leader you can't sway from your vision and plan because of what the media, players or fan's say. I think he'll get this together. Things will also improve as the age between Mike and his players widens.

X-Terminator
12-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Not to turn this into an XT love fest but that is a great point. Perhaps he is walking a tight rope. Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Having wrestled AND cut a ton of weight I know what it is like to "burn out." However I have always liked a coach that cracks the whip and conditions the hell out of his team. Personally, I have always felt the benefits of intense training for most competitive athletes at their physical pique (20 to 30) benefits them more than hurts.

Unfortunately that approach does not work with today's pro athlete. Most of them do not respond well to strict disciplinarians and will get disillusioned with them pretty quick. To use the Penguins as an example...one of the big reasons why Michel Therrien wore out his welcome and was ultimately fired in 2009 was because the players were not happy with his tough and rigid style of coaching. That's just the way it is nowadays. Mike Ditka could never coach today's athletes with the style he had. The reason why Belichick is so successful is because he is a tactician

Now don't get me wrong - this is not to absolve Mike Tomlin of blame. He certainly has his flaws and has made some very questionable coaching decisions. He also needs to get better at preparation, something that Bill Belichick - as much as I can't stand the arrogant SOB - is one of the best in the game at doing. That is the reason why, IMO, they have shit the bed against so many bad teams. You can't just get up for and prepare for your rivals and the good teams - you have to do it against everyone.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2012, 10:52 AM
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/35186-tomlins-record-against-losing-teams-well-below-the-norm-

Fans have been screaming for a long time about how the Steelers play down to the level of their competition and how Mike Tomlin too often doesn't have his team ready against lesser opponents.

The fans are right.

Research conducted by the blog’s crack investigative team, shows the widely held belief that the Steelers frequently are not ready for bottomfeeders is correct.

In Tomlin's six season with the Steelers, they've been been to two Super Bowls and won one of them. They’ve made the playoffs in four of his first five seasons. He took over an elite NFL franchise from Bill Cowher in 2007 and it remains so today. But there's almost no denying the fact his teams lose an inordinate amount of times to weak opponents.

Tomlin was compared with four other successful NFL coaches, Bill Belichick. Tom Coughlin, John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy. In the case of Belichick, Coughlin and McCarthy the comparison was from 2007 until today. The comparison with Harbaugh begins in 2008, his first season in Baltimore. Just for fun, we also threw in the final 93 games (a tie was omitted) of Cowher's Steelers tenure.

A staggering 35 percent of the Steelers loses under Tomlin have come against teams that finished the season with a losing record. McCarthy was the only coach remotely close to Tomlin in losing to losing teams. (This is based on season record, not the record of the opponent at the time of the game.)

Losses to
Coach Record Winning pct. losing teams Pct.

Belichick 74-19 .795 4 .210
Coughlin 57-36 .612 6 .167
Harbaugh 53-24 .688 4 .167
McCarthy 64-29 .688 8 .276
Tomlin 62-31 .667 11 .354
Cowher 61-31 .663 7 .225

Tomlin record for losing to losing teams is odd. All of the defeats have come in three seasons. The Steelers lost to Denver (7-9), the Jets (4-12) and the Ravens (5-11) in 2007. They lost to Chicago (7-9), Kansas City 4-12, and Oakland and Cleveland (5-11) in 2009. This season they’ve lost to Oakland (3-10), Tennessee (4-9) and Cleveland and San Diego (5-8).
jesus peaches. if that isnt disturbing i dont know what is.

Craic
12-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Good Lord - patterns point to a repetition that happens for a reason. It is the way coaches game plan, helps doctors diagnose chronic conditions and allergies, and is even part and parcel to national security - but it doesn't have any place in assessing a football team?

Don't buy it. There is a reason why this team goes two years and then misses the playoffs (or limps in). What it is, I don't know. Player fatigue? Injuries finally catch up to us every third year? Turnover in the locker room because of how the team is managed and ran from the top down? Who knows.

I'll say this. We lost a number of vets last offseason, and we are limping into the playoffs - if we even make it.
2009 - Lost Kendall Simmons, Marvel Smith, Nate Washington, Willie Colon (injury), Troy P. most of the season from Injury, Aaron Smith most of the season from injury.
2006 - Chris Hope, Jerome Bettis, Antwan Randle El, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Ben had injuries coming into the year that weren't football related. But outside of that, just losing Bettis, Randle El, and Oelhoffen was a pretty big deal back then.
2003 Kordell Stewart, Dewayne Washington, Hank Poteat, Joey Porter was shot before that season and wasn't himself through it. Wayne Gandy. Sure, some of those names aren't stars, but they're long time members of the locker room.

So in just a short look - without comparing to other years, you at least have a loss of leadership in the lockeroom and familiarity on the field every three years. I'm sure there's a lot of other things that go into it as well, but dismissing a repeating pattern out of hand is foolish IMO, because unless something is done to break such a pattern, it will continue. These aren't baseball stats. These are overarching broad category win-loss based stats. Don't confuse the two.

- - - Updated - - -

jesus peaches. if that isnt disturbing i dont know what is.

Why? Is it a pattern? :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Good Lord - patterns point to a repetition that happens for a reason. It is the way coaches game plan, helps doctors diagnose chronic conditions and allergies, and is even part and parcel to national security - but it doesn't have any place in assessing a football team?

Don't buy it. There is a reason why this team goes two years and then misses the playoffs (or limps in). What it is, I don't know. Player fatigue? Injuries finally catch up to us every third year? Turnover in the locker room because of how the team is managed and ran from the top down? Who knows.

I'll say this. We lost a number of vets last offseason, and we are limping into the playoffs - if we even make it.
2009 - Lost Kendall Simmons, Marvel Smith, Nate Washington, Willie Colon (injury), Troy P. most of the season from Injury, Aaron Smith most of the season from injury.
2006 - Chris Hope, Jerome Bettis, Antwan Randle El, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Ben had injuries coming into the year that weren't football related. But outside of that, just losing Bettis, Randle El, and Oelhoffen was a pretty big deal back then.
2003 Kordell Stewart, Dewayne Washington, Hank Poteat, Joey Porter was shot before that season and wasn't himself through it. Wayne Gandy. Sure, some of those names aren't stars, but they're long time members of the locker room.

So in just a short look - without comparing to other years, you at least have a loss of leadership in the lockeroom and familiarity on the field every three years. I'm sure there's a lot of other things that go into it as well, but dismissing a repeating pattern out of hand is foolish IMO, because unless something is done to break such a pattern, it will continue. These aren't baseball stats. These are overarching broad category win-loss based stats. Don't confuse the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? Is it a pattern? :chuckle:

yeah, because it's a pattern. but im not buying the 3 year thing. I dont subscribe to that hocus pocus :lol:

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
I can interject something if i may.It is time for every man on this team to play up to their ability. That means everyone from the coaches down to every player. Even the front brass should have some input as to how to right this ship. If it means reaming your headcoach, then i say do it. Tomlin does not seem like the kind of coach to adhere to excuses. Maybe the whole team should look in the mirror.