PDA

View Full Version : In pass-happy NFL times, Dick LeBeau finds the answers

stillers4me
12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Even when more lenient rules made it easier for them to defend the pass, the Steelers and members of their Steel Curtain defense never managed to have the same success stopping the pass as Dick LeBeau's secondary.
At a time when the National Football League is littered with pass-happy quarterbacks and 1,000-yard receivers are as common as 300-pound linemen, LeBeau has managed to use all of his Hall of Fame experience to concoct a scheme that has slowed some of the league's top throwing arms and grounded air traffic like a northeastern snowstorm.

And that has impressed a number of former Steelers who know all about shutting down the other team, whether on the ground or through the air.

"I think it's amazing they can do as well as they do in the secondary," said former linebacker Andy Russell. "Today's rules have sort of outlawed pass coverage. The way the Steelers of the '70s played pass coverage isn't even remotely the way they play today. Today, you can't even touch these guys."..........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/in-pass-happy-nfl-times-dick-lebeau-finds-the-answers-665565/#ixzz2EZD9FBqA

tube517
12-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Good article but lazy editing. Wagner played safety not CB. Dulac is falling asleep at the wheel.

cold-hard-steel
12-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Good thing Dick knows how he used to pick off a pass.Be in position,that's the key.Hall of famer i do beleive.