PDA

View Full Version : We'll cheer for Roethlisberger again ... but does he deserve it?

polamalubeast
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/07/28/big.ben/

Posted: Wednesday July 28, 2010 11:14AM ; Updated: Wednesday July 28, 2010 11:14AM
Jeff Pearlman> PEARLS OF WISDOM

We'll cheer for Roethlisberger again ... but does he deserve it?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/07/28/big.ben/#ixzz0uzft2u6t

PRINT EMAIL Buzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE
If he can lead the Steelers to victories, fan will cheer Ben Roethlisberger again.
AP

Ben Roethlisberger will begin practicing with the Steelers this week. Therefore, we will cheer.

I know this because we, the sports fanatics of America, cheer for nearly everything. Back in the 1980s, we cheered for Spuds MacKenzie, the beer canine. We cheer for idiots who sprint naked across fields. We cheer for fireworks, even though they can't hear us, and we cheer for men and women dressed as large sausages, even though they are dressed as large sausages. We cheer for Michael Vick, even after he murdered dogs. We have cheered for Dwight Gooden after each return from drug suspension and Brett Favre after each return from retirement. When he was alive, hapless ol' Yinka Dare was cheered by New Jersey Nets fans merely for being hapless ol' Yinka Dare.

It's what we do. We cheer.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/07/28/big.ben/#ixzz0uzfizsTJ

memphissteelergirl
07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
"A monster" Geez...talk about over-the-top melodrama!

Acting like an overaged frat boy does not make you a monster...it makes you unbelievably stupid. And I still cannot believe any responsible writer is still referencing that Nevada lawsuit; it's pretty much known that McNutty is just that and the suit is garbage.

I have said all along that Ben brought all this on himself, but this writer makes Ben sound like Ted Bundy and Charles Manson all rolled up into one. Really? Seriously? Who named this clown chief of the morality police?

Time will tell if Ben has really cleaned up his act and is ready to make up for all his colossal dumbness, but to say that he's a "monster" that will never change is overreaching.

siss
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Man Sports Illustrated must never want to talk to Ben again.

Iron Steeler
07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
His actions will speak louder then his words, he should try getting involve in a lot more charitys/ donations / and what not, that seems to hush people up pretty quick. Didn't Vick do something to give back to the community?

fansince'76
07-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Likewise, if I were Ben I would tell them to get f*cked if they ever asked me for an interview.

memphissteelergirl
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
His actions will speak louder then his words, he should try getting involve in a lot more charitys/ donations / and what not, that seems to hush people up pretty quick. Didn't Vick do something to give back to the community?

Yes, I think Vick agreed to do some kind of public service announcements for a local humane society. But I think any charity work Ben does at this point will only come off as insincere. IMHO Ben just needs to lay low and just to his work in TC to prepare to get back on the field once his supension is up.

Iron Steeler
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
This guy Jeff Pearlman, first off looks like a tool from the picture he give you. Second , this stuff happens all the time with Athletes , SLEEZY WOMEN throw themselves at celebs and sports icons allll thhhheeee tiiiiiiimmmmmmmeeee. Not saying Ben was right, but I am saying that Ben isn't the first with this situation. (Lawernce Taylor) .

Ive seen this first hand... I worked as a bouncer at a Bar in NJ, I saw Brian (Steriod) Cushing in our bar groping women , touching them in like they were objects, and probably brought them back to his hotel where he probably had his way with one of em. Same crime as ben, except ben did it in a public bathroom(dumbass)

People like this Jeff Pearlman, is a prime example why you can't trust the media. If your gonna keep kicking some one while there down your opinion really does not matter to me.

siss
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Yes, I think Vick agreed to do some kind of public service announcements for a local humane society. But I think any charity work Ben does at this point will only come off as insincere. IMHO Ben just needs to lay low and just to his work in TC to prepare to get back on the field once his supension is up.
The thing is that Ben does a tremendous amount of charity work that largely goes unreported. Mostly at Ben's request (I am the resident Ben expert, so just trust me on that one). It will not surprise me at all if/when Ben does charity work this season because he usually does. I do know that he is working on a new web site and part of his web site will have a community page that talks about his charity work. The notion that Ben doesn't do a lot of charity work is a travesty, because he does. In fact in the middle of the S*it storm there was an article that came talking about his charity and how Make a wish and the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh was going to stand behind him because he was great with the kids and had a way of making them feel special.

zulater
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Likewise, if I were Ben I would tell them to get f*cked if they ever asked me for an interview.

Ditto that.

I hope Ben eventually makes enough money to buy Time-Warner and then eventually does a house cleaning at SI.:wink02:

Akagi
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Jeez. One of the bases for our society is the concept of sin, punishment, and redemption. You can consider that religiously, or legally; doesn't matter. No one is guilty forever. You pay and move on.

Killer
07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

heh - I thought that too

If I was Ben I'd refuse to talk to everyone but my teammates.

stillers4me
07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I hate lazy journalism.

siss
07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
It's YOUR fault, Steelers fans.
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest
WEDNESDAY, JULY 28, 2010 05:48 PM WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER
... Or at least Sports Illustrated's Jeff Pearlman seems to think so. Or that you're all at least enablers. Along with the rest of America. Somehow.

In his most recent column, Pearlman attempts to link Ben Roethlisberger's behavior, and the tacit acceptance of it by seemingly anyone who has ever at least casually liked football, as further evidence that we are a society jogging toward Gomorrah and probably a 2012 Armageddon.

" ... by the time Roethlisberger hits Hines Ward with a deep slant pass in his return to action in October (the suspension can be reduced to four games), Steelers fans will return to wearing his jersey and kissing his feet and begging for autographs.
This is who we are.

This is a shame."

Regardless of your opinion of Roethlisberger, and his actions -- real and alleged -- Pearlman's piece is at best trite and lazy and at worst insulting by suggesting that Steelers fans (and by extension, fans of all teams and fans of all sports) are trained clapping seals that cannot think for themselves, and couldn't possibly be intelligent enough to hold conflicting opinions on a matter, e.g., I do not like Ben Roethlisberger, nor do I condone anything he's done, but I still love the Steelers, they've been my favorite team for decades.

Thank God Pearlman is around to set everyone straight. This column was first pointed out to me by an email discussion group that I'm on; later I read the NC-17 'refudiation' (as ShakesPalin might say) of the column on Kissing Suzy Kolber.

Read Pearlman's column for yourself and weigh in with your thoughts.

SMR
07-28-2010, 07:10 PM
We do need to stand by him as long as he is willing to work on himself. EVERYONE should get a second chance in life!

BigNastyDefense
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Last I checked, the only thing Ben Roethlisberger is guilty of is poor judgment.

He's never been arrested. He's never been criminally charged with a crime.

I honestly believe he didn't rape McNulty in Nevada or this girl in Georgia. So why wouldn't I support him and cheer for him when he gets back from his totally bullshit suspension?

He is a the two-time Super Bowl winning franchise quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They don't come around often, so if your team has one cheer for him...even if you don't agree with his off-field behavior.

wootawnee
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
"Because examinations into Roethlisberger's behavior (including one by Sports Illustrated last May) tell the story of a bad man." :bs:

"Alcoholism is a disease. Drug addiction is a disease. Taking advantage of women is not a disease. It is who a person is. What's in his makeup. What composes his core. You do not do what Roethlisberger is alleged to have done because you had a bad day, or a bad week, or a depressing injury, or too much to drink. You do it because you are a monster, and the monster somehow believes it is his right." :bs:

BlastFurnace
07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
He's already forgiven in my book. I'll cheer him on and I'd wear his jersey too. For anyone who is too ashamed to wear his jersey again....you can send it to me. I'm a size Large.

steeldawg
07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
"Because examinations into Roethlisberger's behavior (including one by Sports Illustrated last May) tell the story of a bad man." :bs:

"Alcoholism is a disease. Drug addiction is a disease. Taking advantage of women is not a disease. It is who a person is. What's in his makeup. What composes his core. You do not do what Roethlisberger is alleged to have done because you had a bad day, or a bad week, or a depressing injury, or too much to drink. You do it because you are a monster, and the monster somehow believes it is his right." :bs:

First off there has been no evidence that Ben is an alcoholic or a drug user. Just because you get drunk on your birthday does not mean you have a disease. This whole taking advantage of women crap is stupid, women are pefectly capable of making decisions for themselves. And yes we do know what ben is alleged to have done, becuase he was alleged to have done it. And please spare us your lame opinion on what makes up Ben Roethlisberger's "core" .

HometownGal
07-28-2010, 08:48 PM
People like this Jeff Pearlman, is a prime example why you can't trust the media. If your gonna keep kicking some one while there down your opinion really does not matter to me.

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

Hey Pearlman - you obviously smoked some really bad crack before you wrote that debacle of an article. Stick your pearls of wisdom up your ass. :upyours:

Butch
07-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Yes I will Cheer Ben just like the New England fans cheer for Brady and the rest of the Cheats. Funny how the same media that is roasting on Ben barely glazed over the black sox scandle of the NFL. I firmly believe that the media is filled with haters deon, irvin schlerif (sp) and that Go to Hell godell sways to their music.

stillers4me
07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I guess we'll soon find out if Steelers Nation how Steelers Nation feels about Ben. How will he be greetd at training camp by the fans.

I, for one, hope that Steelers Nation is ready to stand by their quarterback and the whole world sees it.

JayC
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM
indeed i will/do forgive him. he gets no more chances though. if another story breaks like the last 2 im done with him.

wootawnee
07-28-2010, 09:53 PM
First off there has been no evidence that Ben is an alcoholic or a drug user. Just because you get drunk on your birthday does not mean you have a disease. This whole taking advantage of women crap is stupid, women are pefectly capable of making decisions for themselves. And yes we do know what ben is alleged to have done, becuase he was alleged to have done it. And please spare us your lame opinion on what makes up Ben Roethlisberger's "core" .

I just hope you know that I was calling the quotes of that article :bs::bs::bs::bs:

steeldawg
07-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I just hope you know that I was calling the quotes of that article :bs::bs::bs::bs:

OMG im sorry i will gladly eat crow on this one i was to lazy to read the article my apologies.

siss
07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
He's already forgiven in my book. I'll cheer him on and I'd wear his jersey too. For anyone who is too ashamed to wear his jersey again....you can send it to me. I'm a size Large.

I think we need to start the Foundation for Wayward Ben Roethlisberger jersey's. We will take them in and give them a good home (my closet).

Soufjerzz
07-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes I will cheer and yes he deserves it, he wasnt charge with anything. His only crime is not choosing hotter chicks! If this was the 70's he'd be Joe Namath...

fansince'76
07-28-2010, 10:31 PM
OMG im sorry i will gladly eat crow on this one i was to lazy to read the article my apologies.

Nothing to be sorry about - the article was a lump of crap that wasn't worth reading anyway. :poop:

SteelCityMan786
07-28-2010, 10:39 PM
People will end up cheering for Ben as soon as he takes over and starts winning games. Winning cures ALL ails.

steelerdude15
07-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes we will.

Galax Steeler
07-29-2010, 03:29 AM
I guess we'll soon find out if Steelers Nation how Steelers Nation feels about Ben. How will he be gteetd at training camp by the fans.

I, for one, hope that Steelers Nation is ready to stand by their quarterback and the whole world sees it.

Well said it is time to move on and we need to get behind our quarterback.

HometownGal
07-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Well said it is time to move on and we need to get behind our quarterback.

Yes it IS time to move on and we all need to get behind Ben and show him our support. He made some dumb choices and hopefully he has learned from his mistakes. This proud Steelers fan is behind him 100%. :thumbsup:

SirHulka
07-29-2010, 06:06 AM
IF he's learned from his mistakes, he deserves a second chance. That's a big if.

Killer
07-29-2010, 06:43 AM
IF he's learned from his mistakes, he deserves a second chance. That's a big if.

wah wah wah

Go root for the Cardinals if you want to whine.

BlastFurnace
07-29-2010, 06:53 AM

It's not a big "If" as to whether he is a great QB. That's good enough for me.

SirHulka
07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Ryan Leaf had talent, too. How'd that work out for him?

We're not talking about his on the field play. We're talking about what happens to him OFF the field. What was that line in Forrest Gump? Stupid is as stupid does. Like I said IF he learns from his mistakes, he deserves a second chance.

Killer
07-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Ryan Leaf had talent, too. How'd that work out for him?

WTF? That's dumb. Ryan Leaf? You've got to be kidding. You really must be a Cardinals fan to be spouting that shit.

If you want to compare him to someone - take Manning. You think SB winning QB's grow on trees?

Playoff Record:

Manning- 9 wins 9 losses..........1-1 in SB's

Roethlisberger- 8 wins 2 losses.....2-0 in SB's

Not to mention those 17 come-from-behind wins.

SirHulka
07-29-2010, 08:05 AM
You're either not reading all of my post, or you're not comprehending it. This is not about talent. There are many talented players who couldn't make it because of off-field issues. The question was, does he deserve the cheering he'll get? And basically, my response is he deserves it IF he's learned from his mistakes. If he hasn't, then he doesn't.

And wherever did you get the idea I'm a Cardinal fan?

GO BROWNS!!

BRING BACK THE BROWNIE!!

DISCO SUCKS!!

Killer
07-29-2010, 08:09 AM
And wherever did you get the idea I'm a Cardinal fan?

GO BROWNS!!

A Browns fan? I knew you were a troll - just didn't know what flavor. I was fishing.

Ben is our QB. He might be a slut- but he's OUR slut.

siss
07-29-2010, 08:16 AM
A Browns fan? I knew you were a troll - just didn't know what flavor. I was fishing.

Ben is our QB. He might be a slut- but he's OUR slut.

And he's our super bowl winning slut!

vasteeler
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Last I checked, the only thing Ben Roethlisberger is guilty of is poor judgment.

He's never been arrested. He's never been criminally charged with a crime.

I honestly believe he didn't rape McNulty in Nevada or this girl in Georgia. So why wouldn't I support him and cheer for him when he gets back from his totally bullshit suspension?

He is a the two-time Super Bowl winning franchise quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They don't come around often, so if your team has one cheer for him...even if you don't agree with his off-field behavior.

agree 1000%

BlastFurnace
07-29-2010, 10:34 AM
You know, I wish every player in the league was like Drew Brees...but they aren't.

I pull for the laundry...that's it. I don't expect any team to be filled with guys like Drew Brees...because that's not going to happen. I would imagine that a lot of Steelers players...most of us would not be friends with even if we got the chance to meet and know them.

As long as they go out there on Sundays with the Black N' Gold on and play their hardest, that's all I ask. Ben's behavior off the field is his to answer to God to.