PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark: Pittsburgh Steelers Safety Is Pittsburgh's Unsung Hero

Count Steeler
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
It's easy to overlook great players when so many have passed through organizations like the Steelers franchise over the years. Too many of them don't ever get their due, or when they do, it's far too late.

Let's not miss the boat on safety Ryan Clark, who in many ways has become the heart and soul of the Steelers this season.

My first memory of the 11-year safety from LSU is from 2004, when Clark was still a young player suiting up for the Redskins. In the midst of a 15-1 season and hosting a struggling Washington team, I figured my first trip to Heinz Field would end in an easy victory. While Pittsburgh did outlast the 'Skins 16-7 behind a yeoman's effort by Jerome Bettis, Washington's gritty secondary left a lasting impression on me as I merged onto I-79 South on my way back to Columbus.

Specifically, I was impressed by the play of Redskin defensive backs Clark and Sean Taylor. While both players were young at the time, their sleeveless arms gave off an old school image that perfectly mirrored their play inside the hash marks. They looked freakishly similar when they stood together on the field, with their identical cat-like movements through the secondary mimicking each other without any missteps or flaws. Taylor died from gunshot wounds in 2007, but one can imagine that he is proud of his former teammate today.

full story @ http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1433652-steelers-safety-ryan-clark-is-pittsburghs-unsung-hero

Craic
12-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for that read. Sometimes it is probably one of the better articles (journalism wise) that I have read in some time. It was actually a pleasure to read it, rather than trudging through words on a page looking for the snippets of information.

Also agree completely with the article, and wonder in 10 years, if we won't be looking back and calling Clark the best FA pickup this team has ever had, even over Farrior. Only time will tell.

Edman
12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The Redskins' stupidity was our gain.

Adam Archuleta was the big name, but Ryan Clark was the big time player.

Dwinsgames
12-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I have him as out MVP as of right now ...

I know most will disagree and that is fine but all he does it produce

Count Steeler
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Definitely defensive player of the year for the Steelers. He should be in top 3 for MVP. Ben, Miller or Ryan. Nice problem to have.

43Hitman
12-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that read. Sometimes it is probably one of the better articles (journalism wise) that I have read in some time. It was actually a pleasure to read it, rather than trudging through words on a page looking for the snippets of information.

Also agree completely with the article, and wonder in 10 years, if we won't be looking back and calling Clark the best FA pickup this team has ever had, even over Farrior. Only time will tell.

I think most definitely will, with this new group of Steeler fans having so many resources at their finger tips, its much easier for out-of-towners to follow the players' careers via the internet. Also, when I first clicked the link and saw that it was from The Bleacher Report, I thought it was going to be the same nonsense usually on that site. I, like you, loved the article. I thought it was well written and it kept me engaged throughout.

Like I said to Preacher, Ryan has been a stud for a number of years and its about time he gets his due. I would have no problem if the team voted him MVP. Like Count said, its pretty much a three horse race at this point, with all of them being worthy imo.

tube517
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
This is why Troy can roam like he does/did. He's had Ryan back there for the past 5 years. Troy's always giving props to Ryan but he never gets his just due. Our best safety combo since Shell/Wagner, and probably better than them.