PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: I'll play with the pain 2:50PM EST December 5. 2012

zulater
12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2012/12/05/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-ready-to-return-vs-san-diego-chargers-rib-aorta/1748875/

Ben Roethlisberger sat at his locker before going out to test his injured throwing shoulder and healing ribs during Wednesday's practice, confident he's healed enough to play Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

"I'm hoping,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports. "I can play with pain. I'll give it everything I've got. Pain is not an issue for me. It's about performance and how hard can I throw the ball? How far can I throw the ball?

"I feel a lot better. We'll see how it goes. Today will be a big judge.''

Roethlisberger said he threw much better Monday than he did last week. At least he knows it's just about pain tolerance now.

Roethlisberger's dislocated rib has healed enough where it is no longer a threat to puncture his aorta as was the case initially after he sustained a hit in a Nov. 12 win against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Three weeks ago, Roethlisberger told Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis before Pittsburgh's 13-10 loss to the Ravens that it was "killing'' him not to be able to play. Thing is, it could have killed him -- literally -- to have played the past three games.

"From what I understand, the rib was, it was stable in the back, but in the front, if I took the wrong shot, it could puncture the wrong way,'' Roethlisberger said.

"According to the training personnel staff, doctors, they don't feel the stability is an issue. I'm sure that first time I hit the ground it's going to be a little -- I may lay there for a second or so to make sure I can feel everything in my chest. According to them, everything is stable.

"I can play with pain.''

Edman
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Well as Tomlin said. It's all about how well he does in practice. Any ill effects and he's sitting another game.

Hindes204
12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Crybaby

st33lersguy
12-05-2012, 03:00 PM
If Ben is not 100%, they should just play Charlie. If Charlie can win in Baltimore, he should win at home against San Diego

SMR
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
If Ben is not 100%, they should just play Charlie. If Charlie can win in Baltimore, he should win at home against San Diego

I agree with you completely. To be honest, I am just SICK and TIRED of Ben playing when he really should be sitting out until he's fully recovered. He needs to put his ego in check AND Tomlin needs to man up and put his foot down and sit him out. Batch is well enough to play at home against the Bolts. Tomlin should give Batch a bit more slack and let him play again (out of respect as well)!!!

Let us hope common sense prevails!

polamalubeast
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
if the Steelers are waiting for Roethlisberger to be 100% healthy, Roethlisberger will not play a another game this year

Yes, the Steelers have won against Baltimore, but they also lost against Cleveland

Moose
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Yes, the Steelers have won against Baltimore, but they also lost against Cleveland

And Tenn., and Oakland. I say start Batch and if the game turns against us then put in Ben.

Count Steeler
12-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Tomlin: Roethlisberger's practice was 'positive'

Ben Roethlisberger went through a full practice that Mike Tomlin called "positive" today and appears on track to return to start for the Steelers Sunday in Heinz Field against the San Diego Chargers.

"I saw him make the necessary throws today,'' Tomlin said afterward.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-roethlisbergers-practice-was-positive-664998/#ixzz2EDjAt6Ax

steelerdude15
12-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I want him to be one hundred percent.

stillers4me
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM
At least he's had a couple of weeks to rest any other unnamed aches, pains, bumps and bruises. If he comes back 85% healthy, we are probably better off than most years at this point.

polamalubeast
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
And Tenn., and Oakland. I say start Batch and if the game turns against us then put in Ben.

The lost vs Oakland was because of the defense.....The lost vs Cleveland was because of the offense

If ben can play at a good level,he must play,since the game vs SD is a must win

fansince'76
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
if the Steelers are waiting for Roethlisberger to be 100% healthy, Roethlisberger will not play a another game this year

Exactly.

polamalubeast
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Also, this is important that Roethlisberger is not rusty for the game against the Bengals in week 16 ....

GBMelBlount
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
San Diego is not a must win imo.

I say start Batch this week and see how it goes.

I imagine Ben will be 90% or better and close to pain free in another week anyway.

polamalubeast
12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
San Diego is not a must win.

Play Batch.

I would imagine Ben will be 90% or better and close to pain free in another week any way.

if the steelers lost vs SD(with Batch) and cowboys(with a Ben rusty),the season is OVER!

steeldawg
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
i think untill the the division title is out of reach the games are must win

polamalubeast
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
unthink untill the the division title is out of reach the games are must win

in fact, all games are a must win if the steelers are not assured to be in the playoffs!

Carolina Steelers
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I want him to be one hundred percent.

Like stated before if we wait till 100% he might not play rest of yr, no nfl player is 100% @ week 13 as long as Ben can't aggreviate it by just throwing it I'll take an 80% Ben over batch anytime no game is a given chargers will be ready

Count Steeler
12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
San Diego has played well in December. Hopefully they get hot next week, not this week.

We haven't won anything yet, and we are not in the playoffs yet. I hope the team enjoyed their win over the Ravens, but I also hope that they realize they have just begun to climb the mountain. A LOT of hard work needed to get where we all want to be in Feb.

steeldawg
12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
in fact, all games are a must win if the steelers are not assured to be in the playoffs!

very true colts are ahead of us and the bengals are on our heels we cant afford to lose games

zulater
12-05-2012, 05:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8717706/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-nearing-return

SteelGhost
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I want Ben healthy enough to kick some cryboy's asses at Jerrah's house :yup:

Craic
12-05-2012, 09:19 PM
very true colts are ahead of us and the bengals are on our heels we cant afford to lose games

Not really, since we still have a game against the Bengals. we can lose a game, and then beat them and still get in because we'd hold the tiebreaker against them.

Iron Steeler
12-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I want him to play when there is no pain

tube517
12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I want Ben healthy enough to kick some cryboy's asses at Jerrah's house :yup:

This

GBMelBlount
12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
At least he's had a couple of weeks to rest any other unnamed aches, pains, bumps and bruises. If he comes back 85% healthy, we are probably better off than most years at this point.

I hadn't had a chance to read the whole thread earlier.

If Ben is 85% + and Tomlin starts him I would understand....but at the same time, you can start Charlie and see what happens.

I guess after seeing Ben playing while severely gimped last year and having the terrible decision ruin him for the playoffs has me concerned they might err on the side of stupidity (imo) again. Sounds like he may be better now than a year ago when they started him while injured.

bayz101
12-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I want him to play when there is no pain

That's in three weeks. Not gonna happen.

GodfatherofSoul
12-06-2012, 01:59 AM
If Ben is talking about how much pain he'll suffer playing, I'd say there's a 100% chance he'll play.