PDA

View Full Version : Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

salamander
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
The New Orleans Hornets are expected to become the New Orleans Pelicans, perhaps as early as the 2013-14 season, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Yahoo! Sports, citing numerous sources, reports the team also considered Krewe and Brass as potential nicknames.

The Hornets have planned to change their name since New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, who also owns the rights to the Pelicans nickname, bought the team in April.

more: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8711940/new-orleans-hornets-change-nickname-pelicans-according-report

I'm not really a fan of basketball, but come on... the Pelicans?? :lol:

Count Steeler
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, pretty bad. That's the best he can do for New Orleans?

salamander
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah, pretty bad. That's the best he can do for New Orleans?

Sounds like a minor league team name.

Godfather
12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a minor league team name.

It is.

The New Orleans Pelicans were a longtime minor league baseball team, so the name has a history in the city. They were once a Pirates affiliate, and Dale Long is among the more notable alumni. The stadium was located at the corner of Tulane & Carrollton where the Rock & Bowl now stands. The team moved away in the late 1950s. A second incarnation played in 1977 as the Cardinals' AAA club, with the Superdome as the home stadium.

Saints owner Tom Benson bought the trademark, and he was one of multiple people trying to bring minor league baseball back to New Orleans. When the Rockies pushed the Zephyrs out of Denver, they landed in New Orleans, but Benson didn't get the team so the Zephyrs name stayed.

"Brass" was an ECHL hockey team owned by the now-infamous Ray Nagin. They disbanded after losing the New Orleans Arena to the Hornets. Nagin took over as mayor and had to complete that process.

Another possibility is a three-way trade that would result in the Jazz and Hornets names being returned to their rightful cities and Utah becoming the Bobcats. They were talking about it on WWL this morning.

salamander
12-04-2012, 08:48 PM
It is.

The New Orleans Pelicans were a longtime minor league baseball team, so the name has a history in the city. They were once a Pirates affiliate, and Dale Long is among the more notable alumni. The stadium was located at the corner of Tulane & Carrollton where the Rock & Bowl now stands. The team moved away in the late 1950s. A second incarnation played in 1977 as the Cardinals' AAA club, with the Superdome as the home stadium.

Saints owner Tom Benson bought the trademark, and he was one of multiple people trying to bring minor league baseball back to New Orleans. When the Rockies pushed the Zephyrs out of Denver, they landed in New Orleans, but Benson didn't get the team so the Zephyrs name stayed.

"Brass" was an ECHL hockey team owned by the now-infamous Ray Nagin. They disbanded after losing the New Orleans Arena to the Hornets. Nagin took over as mayor and had to complete that process.

Another possibility is a three-way trade that would result in the Jazz and Hornets names being returned to their rightful cities and Utah becoming the Bobcats. They were talking about it on WWL this morning.

Thanks for the insight! :thumbsup:

oneforthetoe
12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow. got to be able to do better than that.

New Orleans Levies (too soon?)

New Orleans Nutria (Swamp Rats - they are apparently delish)

Seriously, Pelican just doesn't work for me. Got to be something better.

How about the Saints. Oh wait.

New Orleans Devil Babies (Look it up)

vader29
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Maybe we can take the Hornets name and use it for a pro basketball team in Pittsburgh, they could play at the Console Energy Center since it isn't being used by any professional sports team. :heh:

steeldevil
12-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Maybe we can take the Hornets name and use it for a pro basketball team in Pittsburgh, they could play at the Console Energy Center since it isn't being used by any professional sports team. :heh:

Nope. Not a chance. That Hornets name is coming back home, and I can't wait.

Unless Michael Jordan wants to get ran out of town that is...

The Charlotte Hornets are only a few years from being back. Thank goodness. I love you Tom Benson.

ALLD
12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Storks would have been more appropriate for a basketball team. Pelicans sounds like a girls high school softball team.

oneforthetoe
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Storks would have been more appropriate for a basketball team. Pelicans sounds like a girls high school softball team.

In more ways than one given the rep many NBA players for leaving their seed in multiple zip codes.

KeiselPower99
12-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Does this mean the T Wolves will be the Lakers too? What about the Seattle SuperSonics?

LLT
12-26-2012, 10:28 AM

LOL!!!

Godfather
12-26-2012, 09:44 PM
What about the Seattle SuperSonics?

They got the Cleveland deal.

The Sonics would had to stay in Key Arena at least another 1-2 years before moving. They didn't want to be lame ducks, so Seattle agreed to let them out of the lease if they left all the name/history/colors/trademarks behind for the next team. The Sonics/Thunder owners accepted rather than go through a protracted legal struggle and a lame-duck season in Seatlle.

steeldevil
01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
It is done. The Hornets name is now available.

Okay MJ... Get to it... Or else.

tube517
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah, this conjures up fast break images for me. :flap:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Pelican_lakes_entrance02.jpg/220px-Pelican_lakes_entrance02.jpg

salamander
01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0124/play_r_pelicans2_mb_600.jpg

Godfather
01-24-2013, 07:46 PM
I like the new logo. Looks sharp.

I haven't even looked at the NBA standings in years, but I might buy some gear.

salamander
01-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I like the new logo. Looks sharp.

I haven't even looked at the NBA standings in years, but I might buy some gear.

I was thinking the same thing. As strange as the name Pelicans sounds to me (personally), there's something about that logo that I really like.

Nadroj 20
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Does this mean the T Wolves will be the Lakers too? What about the Seattle SuperSonics?

Actually the Seattle SuperSonics are coming back. Seattle owners bought the Sacramento Kings and will be moving the team to Seattle and they will also bring back the Sonics name and colors.

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2013/01/21/maloof-family-agree-sell-sacramento-kings-seattle-group/

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking the same thing. As strange as the name Pelicans sounds to me (personally), there's something about that logo that I really like.

I agree. The colors are cool in my opinion. Maybe they can make up for the lame name by having sweet jerseys.

Really though in a few years people won't care too much about the team name. I could be wrong though.

On a side not there is a Single A baseball team named the Myrtle Beach Pelicans that I always enjoyed watching :chuckle:

salamander
01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
On a side not there is a Single A baseball team named the Myrtle Beach Pelicans that I always enjoyed watching :chuckle:

My best friend is stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and goes to quite a few MB Pelicans games. I'd like to get down there and catch a game just for the hell of it.

ALLD
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8nCNLylEM