PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Beachum Helping Steelers Resurrect Their Playoff Hopes

Count Steeler
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
By Christina Rivers

Player: Kelvin Beachum, Jr., OT #68
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 303 lbs.
Hometown: Mexia, TXl
College: Southern Methodist University (Mustangs)
Experience: Rookie

The seventh round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2012 NFL Draft and son of Kelvin, Sr. and Culetta Beachum, Kelvin Beachum, Jr. made a statement in his first start in the NFL regular season. Beachum, stepping in for an injured Mike Adams, helped pave the way for the Steelers to be able to beat the Baltimore Ravens, 23-20, on Sunday. A standout in high school and college, Beachum has shown that he has the skills and perception to have a great professional football career.

Playing football for the Mexia Black Cats, Beachum was allowed only one sack as an offensive lineman in 2006. He was named first-team All District 19-3A as a senior (2007) and second-team All District his junior year. He was also given a two-star rating by Rivals.com and Scout.com in football. Beachum also played basketball for Mexia High School.

After redshirting for the Southern Methodist Mustangs football team in 2007, Beachum started in all 52 games 2008-2011. Playing left tackle, he was key in the offense that was able to tie the school record of 29 touchdowns in 2008 and was named to the College Football Top Ten and the Pegasus News All-DFW College Football team. In his second season, Beachum was once again key in blocking for the Mustangs, who were able to set the school record for passing (3,666 yards), points (380) and total offense (5,093). Named to the second-team All-C-USA by coaches in the league, Beachum was one of only 12 student-athletes to receive the fall C-USA Spirit of Service Award and was named to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football’s All-Texas Team.

full story @ http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/04/kelvin-beachum-helping-steelers-resurrect-their-playoff-hopes/

zulater
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I'll tell you what. He played a pretty good game against the Ravens. He's got a four game audition to put himself in the mix for the starting right tackle position next year. At this point I'm not sure I'd bet against him.

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
I'll tell you what. He played a pretty good game against the Ravens. He's got a four game audition to put himself in the mix for the starting right tackle position next year. At this point I'm not sure I'd bet against him.

beachum vs. gilbert vs. adams? oh boy

Seven
12-05-2012, 12:36 AM

Give me Gilbert on the left and Beachum on the right at this point if the team tries to dump Max Starks again this off-season (don't see why that trend won't continue). Can't wait to see what Adams develops into with some more coaching but he isn't there yet. We'll see though, still early to be discussing this.

Dwinsgames
12-05-2012, 10:32 AM
beachum vs. gilbert vs. adams? oh boy

problem is I am not sure there is a NFL caliber LT in that group ....

Craic
12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Give me Gilbert on the left and Beachum on the right at this point if the team tries to dump Max Starks again this off-season (don't see why that trend won't continue). Can't wait to see what Adams develops into with some more coaching but he isn't there yet. We'll see though, still early to be discussing this.

I don't know, I haven't re-watched the game yet, but Adams is explosive in run blocking. The way he seals off the edge and opens holes between him and the TE (when he's in there blocking), I think it's pretty telling that we haven't had a 100 yard rusher in the last two games. After all, this was only one game. I would like to see how he does on the left side after Starks finally retires (when, who knows? But after that happens--who ever thought we'd be happy to have Starks there). I'll say this much though, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert/Adams/Beachum may be a combination we hear for a long time coming.

If Foster and either Gilbert or Beachum can play on the left side (after preseason, I'm not sure I want to try Adams over there again), we just may have our O line set for the next decade, with Legs and the third man out at tackle rounding out the seven we dress on the line.

ALLD
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I think the Steelers will keep Starks around the way he is playing and the way our OL goes down.

Craic
12-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I think the Steelers will keep Starks around the way he is playing and the way our OL goes down.
There's no doubt. The question is, how much longer will he stay around playing football? He's 30, and has already had two surgeries for semi-series injuries in a disk issue in his neck and an ACL tear. He's getting to the age where those injuries are not so easy to recover from.

BlastFurnace
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Great...Gilbert will take out Willie Colon next year then.

Honestly, as long as Max can do it, he's our LT. He's better than any LT we have on the roster.