PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, LeBeau protect Polamalu

stillers4me
12-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Troy Polamalu had played only 21 snaps since the season-opener in Denver because of a torn calf muscle, and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau promised to ease the All-Pro safety back into the lineup against the Ravens.

Well, LeBeau did and he didn’t when it came to limiting Polamalu. Polamalu played 50 of the 64 Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) defensive snaps Sunday against the Ravens, including 21 of the first 28, and played as many as 24 snaps in a row in the second half, including 25 of the final 28.

For the majority of the game, LeBeau protected Polamalu by putting him in deep coverage. But only after reminding the Ravens what Polamalu is capable of by blitzing him twice during the first series...............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3065565-85/polamalu-played-snaps-ravens-lebeau-steelers-allen-plays-wallace-coverage#ixzz2E3Ta1x7j

zulater
12-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Honestly I don't think Troy did much of anything out there. In fact the only time he was noticable was when he completely blew his assignment on the 3rd and 11 play, that led to an eventual Raven touchdown. I hope he was just shaking the rust off. Because if he was just being used as a decoy that wont last long and teams will game plan to tear him apart in the weeks ahead.

I'm a huge Troy fan. But I fear his best days are done, and worse yet I'm not sure he's capable of helping this team this year. And emeritus status just doesn't cut it on an NFL field.

86WARD
12-04-2012, 06:11 AM
He looked out of place, confused and awkward out there. Hopefully he was shaking the rust off...

steelpride12
12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm not worried about Troy. We have to expect him to be rusty and he was. Considering the fact that the past few seasons he has not saw much actual long term game time it's understandable. I noticed him crowding the line maybe on two plays, but keeping him deep just to get him back into the game was a smart idea and the more he plays, the more he stays healthy, the more he'll get full snaps and find his groove.

steelreserve
12-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Having Troy sit back in deep coverage doesn't "protect" anybody. It usually just makes the defense soft and vulnerable, and I'm thankful it didn't backfire on us. Troy belongs playing at full animal style or not at all.

Animal style .. mmm .. now I want In-N-Out.

GoSlash27
12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Having Troy sit back in deep coverage doesn't "protect" anybody. It usually just makes the defense soft and vulnerable, and I'm thankful it didn't backfire on us. Troy belongs playing at full animal style or not at all.

Animal style .. mmm .. now I want In-N-Out.

It doesn't really work like that. Any player has to spend time in actual games in order to get back up to speed. If you hold him out, he'll never get there.
Deebo was looking pretty sad a month ago, but he's getting better every game. Troy's got to go through the same process.

FWIW, I'm optimistic about Troy. He wasn't utilized much, but the way he was bouncing around shows that he's physically ready to get back to his old tricks.

PlayMakerIcon
12-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, after missing so much time, no one comes back to the level they used to be, no one. Troy knows his body better than we do. The fact that the Steelers won the game and that Polamalu played on so many downs is a GREAT thing for Troy 43 Fans and the Steelers. I don't know if you missed Troy's message to his fans or not, but his PASSION for FOOTBALL is at an all time HIGH - meaning Troy will do whatever it takes to be the Playmaker Icon (http://www.brandlegendary.com/playmaker-icon-solo-performance-dri-fit-black-and-gold-t-shirt/) we all know he still his. Here is what Troy Polamalu said - Read the Troy's Full Message (http://corporate.brandlegendary.com/troy-polamalu-message-to-all-fans/), "I cant help but feel fortunate, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to play this game. I am a better man than I was, still learning and growing, yet far from good enough to be counted among the worthy. May God give us the strength to overcome the many adversities life brings. Thank you all for your sincerest kind words and prayers. I am eternally thankful for them. Pray not just for me, but for all of us who are in need. Many times the veil of money, a smile, even laughter conceals the inner turmoil one goes through." -