PDA

View Full Version : Why Steeler Fans Shouldn’t Worry About Ike Taylor’s Injury

stillers4me
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
The grass started to look a little greener last week for the Steelers, and it wasn’t because of the 70 degree temps either. The team welcomed back Troy Polamalu to full practices and a green light for the game against the Ravens on Sunday. Polamalu was being revered as a shot in the arm to a defense that seemed to be a hair’s breath away from being a dominant force – no not splashy, but shut down force. As the game got underway, fortunes changed quickly once again for this Steelers team who is continually fighting off injury after injury. Ike Taylor suffered a leg/ankle injury during the first series and never returned. A full diagnosis has yet to be released by the team, but most ‘experts’ predict he will be out of the lineup 3-6 weeks. And, while most would think losing your #1 corner would spell monumental trouble for a successful playoff run, Steeler fans should take a bit of comfort knowing who will now have to step up and take Taylor’s place.

The Maturation of Cortez Allen
The 2011 4th round draft pick out of The Citadel stepped into the role of ‘#2 corner’ when Ike Taylor went down with his injury against the Ravens on Sunday. Allen split time with Keenan Lewis covering Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin. During the first half, the Ravens challenged Allen often, and Allen rose to the occasion............

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/12/03/why-steeler-fans-shouldnt-worry-about-ike-taylors-injury/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Psycho Ward 86
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Well at least this week we dont have any potent receivers to deal with. Other than antonio gates who's having a bad year

steelpride12
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Well at least this week we dont have any potent receivers to deal with. Other than antonio gates who's having a bad year
Well I agree, but their receivers are tall which can make them pretty tough to cover when you have smaller guys covering them like Allen and Lewis.

BnG_Hevn
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Isn't San Diego losing to every guy and his brother? Steelers will stay focused and carry through.

86WARD
12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Floyd's no joke. Sucks that it's an ankle fracture for Ike...

Steeldude
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Well I agree, but their receivers are tall which can make them pretty tough to cover when you have smaller guys covering them like Allen and Lewis.

Aren't Allen and Lewis 6' and 6', 1"?

Seven
12-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Floyd's no joke. Sucks that it's an ankle fracture for Ike...

Floyd scares the hell out of me.

LLT
12-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Floyd scares the hell out of me.

I have heard others say the same thing...but a WR who averages under 64 yards a game, and has only 4 TD's on the season....doesnt worry me that much.

Seven
12-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I have heard others say the same thing...but a WR who averages under 64 yards a game, and has only 4 TD's on the season....doesnt worry me that much.

Is that 64 yards a game period or 64 yards a game in games he's played? He is very injury prone which is the only reason he hasn't exploded as a top level guy, in my opinion. Although I'll be honest I haven't followed him closely this season at all.

LLT
12-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Is that 64 yards a game period or 64 yards a game in games he's played? He is very injury prone which is the only reason he hasn't exploded as a top level guy, in my opinion. Although I'll be honest I haven't followed him closely this season at all.

He actually hasnt missed a game this year, though he has been listed as "probable" and "questionable" several times. That was what you were probably seeing. I had to follow him because he is on one of my fantasy leagues this year.......ugh.

Seven
12-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Okay, looks like he's played every game this season. But I'm willing to bet he's been banged up - he never stays healthy. I think he's better than most observers think. And I think he's better than his stats show, too. But I guess I don't have anything to back that up with other than the eye test from previous seasons, so take that for what it's worth.

- - - Updated - - -

He actually hasnt missed a game this year, though he has been listed as "probable" and "questionable" several times. That was what you were probably seeing. I had to follow him because he is on one of my fantasy leagues this year.......ugh.

Yeah, I just went and looked too. That surprises me. Like I said, I think he's better than what we're seeing. He has who, Denario Alexander and Robert Meachum on the other side of him? With a Phil Rivers who is a shadow of his former self throwing him the ball? Not here to make the case that Floyd is an amazing receiver or anything, but he definitely scares me. 765 yards under those circumstances isn't bad if you ask me. Although I'm sure your fantasy team disagrees :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM

which is fine because allen and lewis are both taller/bigger than typical corners and are very aggressive at the line of scrimmage in man coverage. Match up advantage for us imo, even without taylor.

for all of Norv's offensive acumen and his obsession with the "big, tall" receiver, he hasnt exactly churned out a whole lot of great guys for rivers to throw to other than gates and jackson.

being 14-0 against the chargers at home is also reassuring.

- - - Updated - - -

also, im really happy for denario alexander. isnt he coming off his 2nd or 3rd acl tear? and still playing in this league as an undrafted underdog? way to go kid