PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 of season done. Steelers MVP 12 games in.

zulater
12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Your choice, how much you want to weigh Big Ben's injury for or against him I'll leave up to the individual poster.

As for me I'm going another way for now. To me the choice is clear.

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/3100915/480/Pittsburgh-Steelers/heath-miller-run.jpg?v0

zulater
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2012%5C12%5C02%5C157365 802.jpg&w=715&h=477

DarthSpartans20
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd have to go with Lawrence Timmons right now. He has been the one consistent defender week in and week out the Steelers have had.

zulater
12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd have to go with Lawrence Timmons right now. He has been the one consistent defender week in and week out the Steelers have had.

Good choice. But if I were to go defense I'd split my vote between he and Ryan Clark.

zulater
12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
By the way if there's a moderator out there, I hit post too quickly on the OP. I had meant to attach a poll. :doh:

Anyway the choices I would offer in a poll would be;

1. Big Ben

2. Ryan Clark

3. Lawrence Timmons

4. Heath Miller

5. Sean Suisham

6. Maurkice Pouncey

7. Ike Taylor

8. Keenan Lewis

9. Tom Brady is gay and the Patriots suck

:lol:

Count Steeler
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Before he got injured, there was no doubt in my mind that it should/would be Ben. I love Miller, but I don't know if I can give the nod to him for MVP just yet.

This is a tough one. Have to wait until the end of the season.

polamalubeast
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Big Ben for me

Heath Miller,Clark or Timmons are of good choice too

Moose
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
The question is for 12 games........as for now Zu I'm with you on Heath as the MVP for the 12 games so far.

Count Steeler
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
By the way if there's a moderator out there, I hit post too quickly on the OP. I had meant to attach a poll. :doh:

Anyway the choices I would offer in a poll would be;

1. Big Ben

2. Ryan Clark

3. Lawrence Timmons

4. Heath Miller

5. Sean Suisham

6. Maurkice Pouncey

7. Ike Taylor

8. Keenan Lewis

9. Tom Brady is gay and the Patriots suck

:lol:
Done

zulater
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Before he got injured, there was no doubt in my mind that it should/would be Ben. I love Miller, but I don't know if I can give the nod to him for MVP just yet.

This is a tough one. Have to wait until the end of the season.

8 games in Ben clearly was team MVP. But the body of work is now 12 games. So that's why I gave my vote to Heath.

But at the same token much as the case was made last year about how Peyton Manning was a MVP candidate due to the falloff of his team's play in his absense. Much the same case could be made for Big Ben. Up until halftime yesterday anyway! :chuckle:

I joke. Yours is a great choice. Hopefully Ben comes back and reclaims the award over the last 1/4 of the season.

And thanks for adding the poll! :nw:

Psycho Ward 86
12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
clearly ben. clearly not heath.

we have a better chance to win without ben than heath? no way. pretty black and white vote imo.

zulater
12-03-2012, 01:57 PM

we have a better chance to win without ben than heath? no way. pretty black and white vote imo.

By that criteria you're right. But say Ben doesn't play another down this year. ( God forbid) Does he still get it?

Ben is clearly our most important player. But your value sitting on the bench is nil. So by my standards for the last 3 games Ben gets a zero. Meanwhile Heath keeps ace'ing test after test, so by my standard he's forged to the lead in the team's MVP race. For now.

But regardless as said in the OP, the criteria you apply to your vote belongs to the individual voter.

Count Steeler
12-03-2012, 01:58 PM

That is not the way the players vote. Antonio Brown was MVP last year. By your question, it should always go to your front line QB. Brown brought a little something extra last year, heart and soul. Miller is finally getting some deserved spot light.

Psycho Ward 86
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
That is not the way the players vote. Antonio Brown was MVP last year. By your question, it should always go to your front line QB. Brown brought a little something extra last year, heart and soul. Miller is finally getting some deserved spot light.

but im not a player. and clearly, popularity plays some part in these since the team is the one voting. MVP does mean most VALUABLE player right? Yeah it gets tiresome to see QB's always win the most fabled titles like the heisman, league mvp, etc. but thats because its true. by my question it goes to whoever is most invaluable to the team. Ben. Heath has arguably played better at his position than Ben at his position, but that's as far as that goes

Devilsdancefloor
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I picked Ryan Clark he has been playing his ass off with out troy, but i also want to say K Lewis is very close 2nd

steelreserve
12-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I had to vote for Brady being gay, but of actual players on our roster, it's Miller. It would've been Ben without a doubt if not for the injury, but we've still been playing games in the meantime. I know there's the school of thought that says "See - look how bad we suck without him, that proves he's valuable!" We all know that, but I've always thought its about who's contributing the most on the field. Yes, if you're injured, it sucks and it's not your fault, but you're not contributing.

Wallace108
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I had Ryan Clark as the MVP at the halfway point, and my opinion hasn't changed. If you look at the games with Ben, the offense was fairly consistent whether we won or lost. We lost to the Broncos, Raiders, and Titans because of our defense. It took them a while to get it figured out, but they did. Ryan Clark held the secondary together. With Troy out, a first-year starter at corner, and Ike struggling early, Ryan was the most consistent player on defense and held the secondary together. As I said, our offense has been rather consistent. Our defense determines whether we win or lose. After the Raiders and Titans games, a lot of fans were ready to start talking about the draft. The defense tightened up and saved the season. We still have a shot at the playoffs because of our defense. Right now, we've got the No. 1 defense that is No. 1 against the pass. It all starts with Ryan Clark.

We showed yesterday that our offense can move the ball and be successful even without Ben. If you want to see what our secondary looks like without Ryan Clark, look at the last two games against Denver. I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but right now, Ryan is more important to our defense than Troy is. If we have to lose one of them, I'd rather play without Troy than without Ryan.

Miller would be my second choice. He's easily the most underrated and underappreciated player in the NFL. He's having another great year, and I won't disagree entirely with anyone who would pick him as the team's MVP. But until the offense starts winning games regardless of how the defense plays, I'm going with the best player on defense.

st33lersguy
12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Ben plays these last 3 games, then Pittsburgh is 9-3.

zulater
12-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Cook: Team-first Miller makes his case with MVP play

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-team-first-miller-makes-his-case-with-mvp-play-664844/#ixzz2E3sRkl3c

Austin87
12-04-2012, 04:55 AM
I picked Heath, he has been amazing so far this season.

Probably would have picked Ben if he wasn't injured.

86WARD
12-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Heath. He's been solid and consistently good through out the season. Clutch when needed to be and stays in to block when needed to be and does that very well. Easily Heath.

CPanther95
12-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I voted Heath - Timmons would be a close 3rd right behind Brady being gay.

But I'd rather suit up Sean Kugler for just 1 game so he'd be eligible.

steelpride12
12-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Big Ben clearly before his injury. It was a tough choice between him and Miller, but when it comes down to winning game and who wins us games I have to give the nod to Ben slightly. I just feel without Heath it wouldn't be a tall task, but as we saw without Ben it's quite tough to have the same offensive output.

Honorable mentions for me include Clark and Timmons.

st33lersguy
12-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Big Ben has played enough to warrant team MVP through 12 games. He has played outstanding football for 9 out of 12 games.

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
1)Clark ,2) Miller ,3) Ben based on the season to this point , Had Ben played all season ..... I believe he would had swapped places with Clark and I suspect Miller would be in the same spot based on more production with Ben ..but who knows ...

Its pretty clear to me just how important Ryan Clark is to this football team and he is having a sensational year in his own right

Pristas
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I picked Heath. To me the MVP is the one who rises above what he has done in the past. Ben's standard is his standard. Though great, and incredibly valuable, he has not risen from what he has done in the past. He has faced obscurity through learning a new playbook, but so has the entire offense. Heath, has risen above what he has done in the past. Though part of that is the new offense, he still is getting in the endzone, getting open more often, and making those clutch grabs that Wallace can't make. :humble:

st33lersguy
12-04-2012, 04:36 PM
If Ben plays every single game this year, we are 9-3, had he not played in ANY game, they are maybe 4-8 to 3-9

Psycho Ward 86
12-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I picked Heath. To me the MVP is the one who rises above what he has done in the past.

so you cant be the most valuable person on your team if all you do is play consistently well?

looking at the bigger picture, does that mean youre leaving rodgers, brady, and manning out of the league mvp race?

zulater
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
All tied at 8 apiece between Ben and Heath.

I bet they'd each vote for the other if they had to vote for team MVP today.

Pristas
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
so you cant be the most valuable person on your team if all you do is play consistently well?

looking at the bigger picture, does that mean youre leaving rodgers, brady, and manning out of the league mvp race?

Rodgers is definitely out. I have him on my fantasy team, and I can promise you he isn't quite the same as last year. Brady is gay. And which Manning? The one who actually deserves league MVP or the one who is elite one week and looks like Bubby Brister the next?

I think if you look at the team, and there is a guy whose contribution on the season has really had a "new effect" on the outcome of games, then he is your guy. Last year I would have given it to Brown. For the earlier part of his career, Ben would have had it from me several years in a row. And yeah, this poll is silly, because Ben probably deserves it just as much. He's been incredible this year with the new offense. So has Heath. Flip a coin.:tea: