PDA

View Full Version : Is the Division Title Still within Grasp?

Craic
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Before this game, my answer was "no." Period.

I'm not so sure now. Let's take a look at what's ahead for both teams.

Ravens:

Week 14. Redskins. The Redskins come in with a better Total Yards Per Game average, a much better Rush Yards per game average, just nineteen yards less passing average, and 5 percent less third down conversion average than the Raven's offense. The defensive averages are interesting, but what stands out the most, is that the Redskins rushing attack may overtake the Ravens (number 1 in the league). The Skins aren't quite as good against the pass, but it's doable. More importantly, the Ravens are allowing 20.2 points per game, and Washington is scoring 26.8 points per game. The Ravens are scoring 25.2 points per game, and Washington is allowing 25.9 points game. All that equates to a game that can go either way. The kicker however, is that it's being played in Washington. This game can go either way.

Week 15. Denver. No in depth analysis here I don't see Denver's defense being able to stop Manning. On top of that, the Denver Defense is sixth against the pass (and the Ravens? 22nd against the pass. Yeah, this isn't looking so good for the Ravens). Granted, this game is at home, but I don't think that's going to affect Manning. This could definitely be a loss.

Week 16. Giants. At Baltimore. This, ladies and gentlemen, is not going to be an easy game. The Giants are coming off a win in Green Bay last week, and will be playing some tough teams coming up, fightng to get homefield advantage throughout most of the playoffs. This is a team that comes on late, and does a lot of damage in December.

Week 17. Bengals. Doesn't look like a big deal, but it's at Cincy, and Cincy might be fighting for a last playoff spot here, not to mention the joy of smacking the Ravens down and knocking them out of the AFCN champion spot. Never trust a rival to play like you expect they'll play.

I can seriously see the Ravens losing two of these games. Denver and the Giants are the biggest ones. That would put them at 11-5. I can even see a possibly third loss, though not probable.

Steelers:

Week 14. San Diego
Week 15. Dallas
Week 16. Cincy
Week 17. Cleveland.

Dallas is the only away game. Think about this scenario for a second. The Steelers are in the playoffs, but their position is not set. Ben is still nursing some soreness, so what do you do? "Hey Charlie, want some revenge against the Browns?" Alright, that side note done, I can see us winning all four games.

That puts the Steelers at 11-5. Who wins the tiebreaker? The Ravens do, unless Cincy beats them. Now, that is actually possible for the reasons stated above, though not probable.

So, while the AFCN title isn't completely out of our gasp, we need the Ravens to really choke in three of their last four games. Thankfully, they're playing three teams that have a legitimate shot at beating them.

DarthSpartans20
12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Before this game, my answer was "no." Period.

I'm not so sure now. Let's take a look at what's ahead for both teams.

Ravens:

Week 14. Redskins. The Redskins come in with a better Total Yards Per Game average, a much better Rush Yards per game average, just nineteen yards less passing average, and 5 percent less third down conversion average than the Raven's offense. The defensive averages are interesting, but what stands out the most, is that the Redskins rushing attack may overtake the Ravens (number 1 in the league). The Skins aren't quite as good against the pass, but it's doable. More importantly, the Ravens are allowing 20.2 points per game, and Washington is scoring 26.8 points per game. The Ravens are scoring 25.2 points per game, and Washington is allowing 25.9 points game. All that equates to a game that can go either way. The kicker however, is that it's being played in Washington. This game can go either way.

Week 15. Denver. No in depth analysis here I don't see Denver's defense being able to stop Manning. On top of that, the Denver Defense is sixth against the pass (and the Ravens? 22nd against the pass. Yeah, this isn't looking so good for the Ravens). Granted, this game is at home, but I don't think that's going to affect Manning. This could definitely be a loss.

Week 16. Giants. At Baltimore. This, ladies and gentlemen, is not going to be an easy game. The Giants are coming off a win in Green Bay last week, and will be playing some tough teams coming up, fightng to get homefield advantage throughout most of the playoffs. This is a team that comes on late, and does a lot of damage in December.

Week 17. Bengals. Doesn't look like a big deal, but it's at Cincy, and Cincy might be fighting for a last playoff spot here, not to mention the joy of smacking the Ravens down and knocking them out of the AFCN champion spot. Never trust a rival to play like you expect they'll play.

I can seriously see the Ravens losing two of these games. Denver and the Giants are the biggest ones. That would put them at 11-5. I can even see a possibly third loss, though not probable.

Steelers:

Week 14. San Diego
Week 15. Dallas
Week 16. Cincy
Week 17. Cleveland.

Dallas is the only away game. Think about this scenario for a second. The Steelers are in the playoffs, but their position is not set. Ben is still nursing some soreness, so what do you do? "Hey Charlie, want some revenge against the Browns?" Alright, that side note done, I can see us winning all four games.

That puts the Steelers at 11-5. Who wins the tiebreaker? The Ravens do, unless Cincy beats them. Now, that is actually possible for the reasons stated above, though not probable.

So, while the AFCN title isn't completely out of our gasp, we need the Ravens to really choke in three of their last four games. Thankfully, they're playing three teams that have a legitimate shot at beating them.

Realistically they could lose all four. The Redskins can really run the ball(#1 in the league) and the Ravens are 25th against the run. That sets up playaction which makes RGIII as dangerous a QB in the league. The Redskins dont really turn the ball over(only 10 all year), they can sustain drives and keep Ray Rice and Flacco off the field.

Denver is playing as well as ANY team in the NFL right now, and no one has been able to slow down Manning and his MVP candicacy

Giants? If the Ravens get the team that likes to make late season pushes, then its a loss.

Bengals could be playing for a playoff spot this week which means thye will do what it takes to get in.

Craic
12-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Realistically they could lose all four. The Redskins can really run the ball(#1 in the league) and the Ravens are 25th against the run. That sets up playaction which makes RGIII as dangerous a QB in the league. The Redskins dont really turn the ball over(only 10 all year), they can sustain drives and keep Ray Rice and Flacco off the field.

Denver is playing as well as ANY team in the NFL right now, and no one has been able to slow down Manning and his MVP candicacy

Giants? If the Ravens get the team that likes to make late season pushes, then its a loss.

Bengals could be playing for a playoff spot this week which means thye will do what it takes to get in.

I agree they could, but the chances of them doing it isn't that good. I think realistically, they go 3-1 or 2-2. It's possible they go 1-3, though there would have to be a breakdown for that to happen. 0-4 just seems beyond the real of hope.

steelreserve
12-03-2012, 12:58 AM
The answer is: Only if we get really lucky. Baltimore would have to go on a total meltdown while their opponents all played at the top of their game. I'd say it's about a 1-in-10 chance. Don't forget we have to win all the rest of our games ourselves, which is no sure thing since half the team is injured.

steeldawg
12-03-2012, 05:47 AM
we have a shot at it! that was a huge win last night.

Count Steeler
12-03-2012, 05:53 AM
1 game at a time and let's see where we are when the dust settles.

HollywoodSteel
12-03-2012, 11:45 AM
One small note about the Dallas game, the cowboys have no home field advantage. For the most part, they are much better on the road. I actually really liked our NFC N schedule this year. We play the two really good road teams on their field. We already beat the giants and won our home games. One more to go for the sweep...

stillers4me
12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
0-4 just seems beyond the real of hope.

The curse of the Terrible Towel!

86WARD
12-03-2012, 04:23 PM
1 game at a time and let's see where we are when the dust settles.

This. Would be something else if they did wind up winning it though wouldn't it.

One game at a time...

Craic
12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
This. Would be something else if they did wind up winning it though wouldn't it.

One game at a time...

That's a great mantra for the players. But it doesn't help or hurt us to look ahead.

GoSlash27
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
^ What they said. We *could* win the division, but we're not in the driver's seat for it. All we can do is win and let the rest sort itself out.

Dwinsgames
12-03-2012, 07:19 PM
The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/chucknoll392799.html)
Chuck Noll (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/chucknoll392799.html)

Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/chucknoll126569.html)
Chuck Noll (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/chucknoll126569.html)

this

Dwinsgames
12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
are chances just improved slightly , maybe more so dependent upon how severe this is ...

[*=left]✔

@AdamSchefter
Terrell Suggs has torn biceps. Doctors say there are some torn biceps players can play through, others they can't. Thus, 2nd opinion needed.

Craic
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Hate hearing about players being injured. Never something to wish for, but if it had to happen to someone on that team, I'd rather it be an impact player like Suggs. Reminds me an awful lot of a couple of our players. Just seems like they can't catch a break - or they can and that's the problem.

Psycho Ward 86
12-03-2012, 09:25 PM
actually i dont think a lot of people have noticed how much more ineffective terrell suggs has been since coming back from that achilles injury. All i hear on ravens boards is how the run defense has been improved with him back but his pass rushing has suffered.

Dwinsgames
12-03-2012, 09:40 PM
actually i dont think a lot of people have noticed how much more ineffective terrell suggs has been since coming back from that achilles injury. All i hear on ravens boards is how the run defense has been improved with him back but his pass rushing has suffered.

slowed in the rush game by a bad set of wheels , now his run D will diminish if he is even able to play with a torn bicep ( Remember Aaron Smith playing with 1 arm ? ) not pretty .....

Psycho Ward 86
12-04-2012, 11:15 AM
well, the redskins sure looked good last night. give em hell RGIII

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
well, the redskins sure looked good last night. give em hell RGIII

the Skins are right back in the playoff hunt ( sitting in the 7th spot as of right now ) , they will be giving it their all because the Giants only have a 1 game lead in that division ....

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
looking at this a little harder and considering tie breakers ......

the four games remaining for the Steelers and Ravens are all common opponent games at this point the Ravens hold not only a 2 game standings advantage but a 2 game advantage vs common opponent ( that looms large ) thus if we end with a tie in over all record we also would have a tie vs common opponents making that null and void and on to the next tie breaker ... Ravens have just 2 conference losses with only one more possible we already have five so if at the end of the season we have the same record the Ravens win the division ...

so We Must win out and the Ravens drop 3 of the final 4 ( or all 4 ) games in order for us to take the Division ...

Have not looked into what the Ravens chances are at even making the playoffs if they lose out and if the Bengal win 3 of 4 ( and we win out ) ... that is where it all gets far to complicated for me LOL

Moose
12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't see the rats losing the 4 remaining games. Maybe go 2-2 on remaining games. It's going to be a interesting last 4 games for everyone, the bungholes included. I'm mainly hoping for the bungholes to drop 4 games....just to shut the damn, obnoxious bunghole fans blow hole. That way when it comes to our game with them it won't matter. UGH

Craic
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM

the four games remaining for the Steelers and Ravens are all common opponent games at this point the Ravens hold not only a 2 game standings advantage but a 2 game advantage vs common opponent ( that looms large ) thus if we end with a tie in over all record we also would have a tie vs common opponents making that null and void and on to the next tie breaker ... Ravens have just 2 conference losses with only one more possible we already have five so if at the end of the season we have the same record the Ravens win the division ...

so We Must win out and the Ravens drop 3 of the final 4 ( or all 4 ) games in order for us to take the Division ...

Have not looked into what the Ravens chances are at even making the playoffs if they lose out and if the Bengal win 3 of 4 ( and we win out ) ... that is where it all gets far to complicated for me LOL

Yep, that's basically what I concluded in my OP.

Here's the kicker, though. Based on the game last night (I didn't watch, but from what I've read and seen here), the Ravens are facing three more teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

If the Ravens lose out, there's a decent chance that they aren't in the playoffs if the Bengals win.

Psycho Ward 86
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM

thanks for that analysis. what a tall order

steelerdude15
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Bearing the Ravens collapse, I don't see the Steelers or Bengals winning it. I could be wrong however.

Craic
12-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Thing is, I'm not so sure the Ravens have to "collapse."

Think about it. Every team on their schedule from this point on is a potential playoff team. Three teams on their schedule are all fighting for the NFCE championship. The other team is in their own division, and it may be do or die for the Bengals makign the playoffs.

Moreover, it's three games they need to lose, not four. The more I think about it, the more I think it's possible. I give the Ravens a 50/50 chance against the three NFCE teams, and probably a 60-40 chances against the Bungles. So, let's say a 1 in 7 of it happening. Not probably , but definitely possible.

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I think the Redskins have a really good chance at beating them ... Redskins can run the ball as well as anyone and with a hurt Suggs they certainly will ....60/40 advantage Skins

I think they lose badly to the Broncos even at M&T .... 70/30 advantage Manning

Giants may have to win to keep pace with the resurgent Redskins so they should be up for this game 50/50

Bengals if they are still in the hunt will pull out all stops at home to beat the division rival 50/50

primantibro1
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I think the Redskins have a really good chance at beating them ... Redskins can run the ball as well as anyone and with a hurt Suggs they certainly will ....60/40 advantage Skins

I think they lose badly to the Broncos even at M&T .... 70/30 advantage Manning

Giants may have to win to keep pace with the resurgent Redskins so they should be up for this game 50/50

Bengals if they are still in the hunt will pull out all stops at home to beat the division rival 50/50

And you forgot, Flacco is a yellow-bellied choke artist 100/100. :heh:

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
And you forgot, Flacco is a yellow-bellied choke artist 100/100. :heh:

duly noted

salamander
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Definitely going to be an interesting ending to the season.

Count Steeler
12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
We have to make sure we take care of our business. Let's win 1 game at a time. Keep focused. Become Champions.

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
gotta give the ravens credit so far though. it hasnt been pretty, but the ravens have simply been finding ways to win this year. They have that deadshot mentality. Of course, this is minus last sunday when we rained on their parade

CPanther95
12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm still holding out hope. The Ravens could easily lose their final 4 games. I'd put their losses over/under at 2 1/2

Craic
12-05-2012, 09:14 PM
We have to make sure we take care of our business. Let's win 1 game at a time. Keep focused. Become Champions.

Nope. The Steelers team has to keep focused and win one game at a time. We can look ahead alllllll we want! And the next four weeks, are pretty dang exciting if you ask me.

Count Steeler
12-06-2012, 05:03 AM

Nope. The Steelers team has to keep focused and win one game at a time. We can look ahead alllllll we want! And the next four weeks, are pretty dang exciting if you ask me.

Not sure what you are saying "Nope" to? The only thing I can think you are saying "Nope" to is my statement of "Become Champions". That phrase has a double entendre of 1) winning the SB and 2) playing each game tough and hard, no more brain farts like the Cleveland game.

So either you quoted the wrong post, or maybe you're hitting a little too much sauce?

Craic
12-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Not sure what you are saying "Nope" to? The only thing I can think you are saying "Nope" to is my statement of "Become Champions". That phrase has a double entendre of 1) winning the SB and 2) playing each game tough and hard, no more brain farts like the Cleveland game.

So either you quoted the wrong post, or maybe you're hitting a little too much sauce?

Nope :chuckle:

I read your post as "we" being us, here on this board, have to keep focused. Take one game at a time. And yeah, I've heard that from Steelers buddies, as if our focus is going to make the difference in the Steelers winning. That's why I said "The Steelers Team."

Count Steeler
12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Nope :chuckle:

I read your post as "we" being us, here on this board, have to keep focused. Take one game at a time. And yeah, I've heard that from Steelers buddies, as if our focus is going to make the difference in the Steelers winning. That's why I said "The Steelers Team."

I can see your point if you only read the first sentence. There is no way "we" could ever win a game on the field. I think the post in total is quite clear that I am speaking about the Steelers team. However, nitpick away.

cold-hard-steel
12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
At this point i don't care about the division.However,i would like nothing more than to see the Ravens one more time.Spread some icing on the cake real thick.If we can clinch a spot in the play-offs,and we are a healthy team,i feel like we can stand up against any team.And how sweet would it be to play a team from the NFC east in the superbowl?We are a for real team.Our strength comes from the players waiting in the background itching to get on the field.I'm high on the boys from "the Steel City".They make us proud more than not.Smellin a play-off spot.Reserved for the "STEELERS"!!!!!!! Thats right,seven exclamation points.

Dwinsgames
12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Next 4 scenario

If the Steelers go 4-0

If the Ravens go 0-4

if the Bengals go 3-1 (that loss to Pittsburgh)

Steelers set at the #4 seed division Champs, Bengals would be #6 seed.

The Ravens would be at home on the sofa watching

also if the Ravens lose out and Steelers and Bengals both go 3-1 both Steelers and Bengals are in and Ravens out....

if our only loss under that scenario is to the Bengals then

Bengals and steelers are tied for 1st record wise , considering the spit under that scenario and being tied with division wins The steelers would win the division based on a better conference record ...

Craic
12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
I can see your point if you only read the first sentence. There is no way "we" could ever win a game on the field. I think the post in total is quite clear that I am speaking about the Steelers team. However, nitpick away.

Wasn't clear to me - but again, I've been at Steelers bars where people say the same thing once someone starts talking about the next game, or that we're looking good for the SB, and tries to shut down the conversation.

Misunderstanding? Sure. Nitpick? No.

- - - Updated - - -

Next 4 scenario

If the Steelers go 4-0

If the Ravens go 0-4

if the Bengals go 3-1 (that loss to Pittsburgh)

Steelers set at the #4 seed division Champs, Bengals would be #6 seed.

The Ravens would be at home on the sofa watching

also if the Ravens lose out and Steelers and Bengals both go 3-1 both Steelers and Bengals are in and Ravens out....

if our only loss under that scenario is to the Bengals then

Bengals and steelers are tied for 1st record wise , considering the spit under that scenario and being tied with division wins The steelers would win the division based on a better conference record ...

I was using the playoff machine at ESPN - and found a scenario where the Steelers end up as the number 2 seed. I laughed. Now THAT's far fetched!

Dwinsgames
12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I was using the playoff machine at ESPN - and found a scenario where the Steelers end up as the number 2 seed. I laughed. Now THAT's far fetched!

doh why didn't I think of trying to find a tool to do that with ... I did it the old fashioned way ... you know bang my head off wall look at it again , rinse repeat

Craic
12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
doh why didn't I think of trying to find a tool to do that with ... I did it the old fashioned way ... you know bang my head off wall look at it again , rinse repeat

:chuckle: It happens to the best of us sometimes . . . and it happens to me often. :wink02:

cold-hard-steel
12-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey man,Jesus walked on the water.The fat lady hasn't sung yet.We've 4 more to go.I like our chances.3 at home and one away.11-5 looks pretty reasonable.

GoSlash27
12-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Unless we crap the bed in the next few games, we're in the playoffs. That's good enough for me.