PDA

View Full Version : Game Ball

Polamalu Princess
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Who gets your game ball tonight?

zulater
12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Charlie Batch. Sorry I lost the faith Charlie.

Polamalu Princess
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I give it to Batch. He pulled it off!!

fansince'76
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Batch, with apologies to Charlie for being down on him so much. Still, I hope Ben can play ASAP.

Psycho Ward 86
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
batch. pimped him before the 1st ravens game. confidence wavered HARD after that browns debacle. but what a day. Terrible overthrow to Wallace in the endzone, bad pocket presence and holding the ball too long in the 1st half, but boy he sure represented himself well today. Remember fellas he shouldve gone well over 300 yards tonight with another TD if Manny hadnt fumbled.

steelpride12
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Batch, and also apologies from myself for bashing you and giving you no hope.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Miller and Batch. Heath is a beast and just calms everyone down. Batch got his confidence going, the O Line played stupendous in pass protection, so great effort all around.

Batch, thumbs up. 1 for Roxi.

steeldawg
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
i liked dwyer miller and i thought the oline was pretty good

polamalubeast
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Batch, with apologies to Charlie for being down on him so much. Still, I hope Ben can play ASAP.

same for me

X-Terminator
Batch, without a doubt. As i said before, no more bad words from me. Here's to ya, Chuck!

cold-hard-steel
Batch,he opened up a whole batch of whup-ass on the Ravens in thier own house.

tube517
12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Chuck Batch. Also: The Oline, Earl, Deebo, and Sushishamwow

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Charlie and Beachum for stepping up , was a tall order for both of them and they both came through big

Psycho Ward 86
admirable efforts in the run game by redman and dwyer. the o-line was waaaay better in pass protection than run blocking. Those kids were manufacturing a lot of their own yards out there. Im shocked that Beachum didnt get completely raped today. Hell, looked a lot better than Mike Adams did in pass protection during the 1st ravens game

Nadroj 20
Batch but I won't apologize for doubting him. He gave me absolutely no reason to believe he would do this based off of last week but he does get credit for actually pulling it off.

I'll be the first to acknowledge how incredible it is for him, but like I said I don't see any reason to try and say I thought this was possible.

SteelersFan710
12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Harrison for his game-changing forced fumble, Batch for persevering, and Heath for being a monster as always

dislocatedday
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Batch no doubt. He overcame shaky play in the first half, and mistakes by his receivers, to deliver in the 2nd half.

Heath gets honorable mention, along with Suisham. That game winner was so pure, and to do it under that pressure is mighty impressive.

The defense is playing so well as a unit that it is hard to single one guy out. The whole D could get a game ball.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM
The D, we are so spoiled by them, they have really stepped up since we sat Mundy and Harrison returned.

They made Flacco look very ordinary.

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Charlie all the way!!! Did you catch that awesome block he made??

dislocatedday
12-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Cortez Allen should get some credit too. I know he had that one drive where he was victimized, but other than that series he filled in for Ike admirably. Way to go kid. He is way ahead of where Keenan Lewis and Ike Taylor were in their second years, so he may be our future starter when Ike is gone one day.

Shoes
Chuck and Heath.

salamander
Batch for his gutty effort. Defense for being awesome lately and finally getting some turnovers. Suisham for be clutch this season. Heath for being Heath.

ALLD
12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Sushi kicked the game winner and he deserves the ball from me.

Moose
12-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Have to cut it up.....Batch, Miller, Dwyer and of course the biggest piece to Suisham!!!!!

Seven
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Batch, Beachum, SUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISHAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
You could easily give a dozen game balls for today. But I'll limit myself to 4.

James Harrison for creating the game changing turnover. Batch for playing like a quality NFL qb in the 2nd half. Heath for playing a damn near perfect game. Again!!! Suisham for being perfect. Those are my first 4 in no particuliar order.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Without question, game ball goes to Charlie. Great job in the second half Charlie to pull out the win.

Honorable mention goes to Deebo and Heath.

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Without question, game ball goes to Charlie. Great job in the second half Charlie to pull out the win.

Honorable mention goes to Deebo and Heath.

No Suisham?

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
No Suisham?

I am shocked only myself and Seven listed Beachum , what a game he had as a ROOKIE 7th round pick ...

Devilsdancefloor
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
i agree beachum rocked the RT position tonight he has heart stayed late every night to work on his technique, but have to give game ball to charlie and the OLINE as a whole

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I am shocked only myself and Seven listed Beachum , what a game he had as a ROOKIE 7th round pick ...

I agree. I just listed the whole O Line, but he did a nice job and they did not use Miller on every down to help him out. The O Line was extraordinary in pass protection today.

But yes, Beachum deserves special mention.

X-Terminator
12-02-2012, 07:26 PM
The whole offense gets love, because they got the ball back with a little over 6 minutes left in the game, and the Rats did not get the ball back again. That is how you close games out.

Godfather
12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
holding the ball too long in the 1st half

That was a psychological ploy to make everyone feel like we had Ben out there.

Batch gets my ball. Good play and great leadership.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
No Suisham?

Sushi is borderline honorable mention. He made all 3 FGs but those are kicks that I expect him to make. I don't think that he did anything extraordinary.

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:32 PM

He's 5th on my list! :wink02:

No doubt he played well. In fact if Foster had left him be that one sack probably doesn't happen.

GBMelBlount
12-02-2012, 07:33 PM

I couldn't be happier Beachum played well. He looked like crap in the preseason.

....and I gotta give our draftniks huge props as suitanim, Aussie and a few others nailed him pre draft as a late round gem.

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Sushi is borderline honorable mention. He made all 3 FGs but those are kicks that I expect him to make. I don't think that he did anything extraordinary.

Two were over 40, on natural grass, and the game winner in a hostile envirorment! That's money! You've got to acknowledge clutch play!

X-Terminator
12-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Two were over 40, on natural grass, and the game winner in a hostile envirorment! That's money! You've got to acknowledge clutch play!

Artificial turf at M&T Bank Stadium, but your point still stands.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Artificial turf at M&T Bank Stadium, but your point still stands.

And it sure looked slick tonight. Brown should have worn skates, because his cleats were not giving him any traction.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Maybe it just means that I now have more faith in him. :lol:

GBMelBlount
12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I am going to give it to the team tonight. (sorry sue, I changed my post slightly. :grin:)

Sometimes there is a defining moment in a great team's season where they come together and overcome seemingly insurmountable odds....

I think the Steelers may have had a "moment" tonight.

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I am going to go with Charlie tonight.

I am so proud of how this ENTIRE team stepped up in the clutch.

Sometimes there is a defining moment in a great team's season...

I just wonder...

Without putting anything into words...... nothing would surprise me.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I've been heard on Charlie...still think he's terrible, but today he stepped up and deserves one of the game balls. He missed a wide open Wallace, through another pick in the end zone, but he stepped up when he sprung Dwyer for a TD...lol.

Batch, Miller, Defense get game balls.

steel striker
12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Charlie, Heath, Shaun just a gritty win from the Steelers.

GoSlash27
12-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Heath. No doubt.

steeldawg
12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
want to a shout out to mr james harrison also, huge strip sack in the game.

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I've been heard on Charlie...still think he's terrible, but today he stepped up and deserves one of the game balls. He missed a wide open Wallace, through another pick in the end zone, but he stepped up when he sprung Dwyer for a TD...lol.

Screw you on that! Sorry, but you don't appreciate what an NFL is about for you to say that.

Batch played poorly against the Browns. But I think the coaching staff handcuffing Charlie, and the inept play around him sabatoged any chance he had that game.

Basically this guy has got the job done way more often than not when called upon. To continue to disparage him just comes off as stupid imo. :doh:

86WARD
12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Screw me? Screw you. Lol...he had a good day, he's still not a good back up...

When you say handcuff, do you mean literally? Cause he couldn't throw a pass longer than 5 yards last week...physically, he couldn't do it...

dislocatedday
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Agreed now that you mention it. He got thrown into a trial by fire tonight and did well. Our young guys are showing well, and just think when we get the rest of them back (DeCastro, Spence, Adams, Gilbert).

86WARD
12-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Screw you on that! Sorry, but you don't appreciate what an NFL is about for you to say that.

Batch played poorly against the Browns. But I think the coaching staff handcuffing Charlie, and the inept play around him sabatoged any chance he had that game.

Basically this guy has got the job done way more often than not when called upon. To continue to disparage him just comes off as stupid imo. :doh:

If Batch can't throw a 20 yard out or a 15 yard seam pass then they need to just get him out. And if they don't pull him, God forgive me, but I hope someone rolls up on his ankle and takes him out.

Hoying might be absolute shit. But we nedd to find that out, because the known quanity of the situation is that Charlie isn't good enough.

Batch is a 3rd QB for a reason....But the Steelers have no other option

Familiarity, that's the only reason he's got a job. He no longer posssesses NFL ability. I don't know that Hoying does. But how the hell can he be any worse?

Seriously?

Lol...

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 07:59 PM
ranting early in a game is like eating a bowl of firehouse Chili at bedtime , you do not know when it is going to bite you , but you know its going to bite you ....

yet people do it all the time

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Screw me? Screw you. Lol...he had a good day, he's still not a good back up...

When you say handcuff, do you mean literally? Cause he couldn't throw a pass longer than 5 yards last week...physically, he couldn't do it...

I say the game plan handcuffed him against the Browns. They played over conservative and not to lose, and guess what? That's exactly what they did!

And I say screw you because when your'e proven wrong you wont admit it. The body of Charlie Batch's work as a Steeler is positive.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I said he played well and I said he had a good day. He's still a terrible back up though...

Against Cleveland he couldn't throw the "conservative" throw either...

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/popcorn2.gif

well at least I am not the only one that has the propensity to lose his cool from time to time ... ( but I am working on that aspect of self )

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/OA02.gif

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
ranting early in a game is like eating a bowl of firehouse Chili at bedtime , you do not know when it is going to bite you , but you know its going to bite you ....

yet people do it all the time

So what? If you can't comprehend life in context I honestly don't care to explain it to you afterwards.

A world full of Mr Spock's doesn't appeal to me.

I live in the moment and don't care if I get it wrong sometimes.

X-Terminator
12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Zulater, you really need to calm the eff down. You're going WAY over the line tonight with your name-calling. The next time this happens, there WILL be those "consequences" that you mentioned in your earlier edited post.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
So what? If you can't comprehend life in context I honestly don't care to explain it to you afterwards.

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/blush%5E_%5Etahoma%5E_%5E5%5E_%5E3%5E_%5EREALLY%20 %5E_%5E.gif Zu ?

clearly you forget how I can be

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I said he played well and I said he had a good day. He's still a terrible back up though...

Against Cleveland he couldn't throw the "conservative" throw either...

So what do you say next week if he helps the Steelers beat the Chargers? 6-3 as a Steelers starter. How's that terrible?

- - - Updated - - -

Zulater, you really need to calm the eff down. You're going WAY over the line tonight with your name-calling. The next time this happens, there WILL be those "consequences" that you mentioned in your earlier edited post.

Ok Mr Botch.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Did your account get hijacked? This is not your normal style. As X-T said, please tone it down.

X-Terminator
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Ok Mr Botch.

Yeah, and I did a mea culpa for that, did I not? It still does not change the situation. You need to settle down.

st33lersguy
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Gameballs: Mr. Reliable Charlie Batch returning to form in a big way, Heath, the O-line did outstanding, Harrison for a big fumble, Flacco for helping the Steelers win another game

Goats: Sanders, nearly costing us the game

steelreserve
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Batch as #1 and Miller as #1A.

Also let's not forget Haley for the adjustments he made. We played like crap in the first half, but looked like a completely different team in the second half. I think a lot of that had to do with abandoning the crappy short-short-short-bomb passing game that wasn't working, and going to more of the mid-range stuff in the middle of the field. That was good coaching.

Honorable mention: Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Larry Foote. Also Mike Wallace.

Just kidding! Not Wallace.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
So what do you say next week if he helps the Steelers beat the Chargers? 6-3 as a Steelers starter. How's that terrible?

Depends on how he plays. Most likely, I'll still think he's an over the hill back up that needs to be replaced. Or maybe I'll say something like:

If Batch can't throw a 20 yard out or a 15 yard seam pass then they need to just get him out. And if they don't pull him, God forgive me, but I hope someone rolls up on his ankle and takes him out.

Hoying might be absolute shit. But we nedd to find that out, because the known quanity of the situation is that Charlie isn't good enough.

Batch is a 3rd QB for a reason....But the Steelers have no other option

Familiarity, that's the only reason he's got a job. He no longer posssesses NFL ability. I don't know that Hoying does. But how the hell can he be any worse?

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Did your account get hijacked? This is not your normal style. As X-T said, please tone it down.

Sorry but it pisses me off that some can't just sit back and say; "I was wrong. Charlie Batch played well today and helped the Steelers win, as is often the case in his Steelers career."

Hey I was wrong too! :doh: I bought into the Charlie is done stuff too!. But I was wrong. And you know who else was wrong? The coaching stff! That's who! Because they game planned the game away from Charlie in Cleveland. And when they finally let him play, lo and behold he helped this team win a game they weren't supposed to have a chance to win!

And instead of us all celebrating some are still trying to qualify Charlie's contributions, or worse yet, say he's substandard in his job!!!!! Really?! He's not a good 3rd string qb?

Fuck that!!! Go ahead and ban me if you want. But I can't leave that shit go unchallenged!

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:19 PM
"A man's got to know his limitations."

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Depends on how he plays. Most likely, I'll still think he's an over the hill back up that needs to be replaced. Or maybe I'll say something like:

I said I was wrong. You know why? Because Charlie proved me so! I never attacked his overall Steelers career like many of you have. But because the coaching staff showed so little faith in him in Cleveland I abandoned my earliar thought that Charlie looked the same to me this preseason as he always has, and bought into the "Botch" so many around here preach.

My bad. :doh:

Wont happen again.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Sorry but it pisses me off that some can't just sit back and say; "I was wrong. Charlie Batch played well today and helped the Steelers win, as is often the case in his Steelers career."

Hey I was wrong too! :doh: I bought into the Charlie is done stuff too!. But I was wrong. And you know who else was wrong? The coaching stff! That's who! Because they game planned the game away from Charlie in Cleveland. And when they finally let him play, lo and behold he helped this team win a game they weren't supposed to have a chance to win!

And instead of us all celebrating some are still trying to qualify Charlie's contributions, or worse yet, say he's substandard in his job!!!!! Really?! He's not a good 3rd string qb?

Fuck that!!! Go ahead and ban me if you want. But I can't leave that shit go unchallenged!

Challenge all you want, but just don't resort to the name calling.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Hmmmm.

For the record...I don't think I've ever called him Botch. I could be wrong though...but I don't recall it.

And I've never challenged his "Steelers career." He's been a subpar on field back up the last couple seasons. Off field he's a HUGE asset and I've said it a million times.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
lets not forget about Wallaces drop inside the 5 at the side line and Charlie put the ball right in his chest 17 had both hands on it and let it fall to the ground .... defender was in front of him and had stepped out of bounds and nobody behind him that is a TD that Wallace left on the table Charlie got robbed as much on that as Wallace got robbed in the end zone over throw ,,, ( he would have probably dropped that dam ball anyways )

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Charlie got robbed a lot today. Sanders Should have had a TD as well that would have netted quite a few yards and a TD to the stat line. He also missed a few as well. Wallace wide open in the end zone was another possible TD...if Wallace catches it. If...

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Hmmmm.

For the record...I don't think I've ever called him Botch. I could be wrong though...but I don't recall it.

And I've never challenged his "Steelers career." He's been a subpar on field back up the last couple seasons. Off field he's a HUGE asset and I've said it a million times.

How was he subpar last year?

oneforthetoe
12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
lets not forget about Wallaces drop inside the 5 at the side line and Charlie put the ball right in his chest 17 had both hands on it and let it fall to the ground .... defender was in front of him and had stepped out of bounds and nobody behind him that is a TD that Wallace left on the table Charlie got robbed as much on that as Wallace got robbed in the end zone over throw ,,, ( he would have probably dropped that dam ball anyways )

I'm not a big fan of Jamison Hensley at the AFCN ESPN blog, but I appreciate a good snark:

Big miss for Steelers: The worst mistake by Batch came in the final minute of the first half, when he overthrew a wide-open Mike Wallace in the end zone. Thinking he had safety help, Ravens cornerback Chykie Brown let Wallace go by him. Batch then threw a pass that sailed wildly over Wallace's head. Of course, it's assumed that Wallace would've caught an on-target pass.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

- - - Updated - - -

Game ball has to go to Charlie

Goat: Wallace - at least look like you are trying buddy.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:47 PM
How was he subpar last year?

Rams game he wasn't great. The run game was, but he wasn't. 2010 he had one good game against the Bucs where he was lights out. The other two, not so much.

I get that you want to jump on the Batch-wagon this week. Great. Actually...since the Steelers won today. if they didn't, you'd probably be wishing him a season ending injury. His good game today, doesn't change the fact that the Steelers lack in the back up QB department.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Wallace gets the goat over Sanders and Brown? Lol...

Wallace was bad at times, he stepped up at the end. The other two, especially Sanders...not so much. Actually, not at all.

oneforthetoe
12-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Wallace was bad at times, he stepped up at the end. The other two, especially Sanders...not so much. Actually, not at all.

Your right about Sanders, but why would Brown be the goat?

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Rams game he wasn't great. The run game was, but he wasn't. 2010 he had one good game against the Bucs where he was lights out. The other two, not so much.

I get that you want to jump on the Batch-wagon this week. Great. Actually...since the Steelers won today. if they didn't, you'd probably be wishing him a season ending injury. His good game today, doesn't change the fact that the Steelers lack in the back up QB department.

I agree they need to upgrade the back up qb position going foward.

And I also acknowledge that if they ( coaching staff) handcuff Charlie and wont allow him to attack downfield then he's not worth having around. But as Charlie proved, if he's allowed to play he can still help this team win. So basically I'll only alter my position by saying that if the coaching staff has no faith in a palyer he shouldn't be on the roster.

Until he proves them wrong!! And he most certainly did. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM

statistically Wallace was the least effective WR of the 3 on the same amount of catches 5 across the board for the wide outs

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I agree they need to upgrade the back up qb position going foward.

And I also acknowledge that if they ( coaching staff) handcuff Charlie and wont allow him to attack downfield then he's not worth having around. But as Charlie proved, if he's allowed to play he can still help this team win. So basically I'll only alter my position by saying that if the coaching staff has no faith in a palyer he shouldn't be on the roster.

Until he proves them wrong!! And he most certainly did. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

I'm sorry...did I not give him the game ball and say he played well?

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Batch Steelers digest player of the week http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Batch-is-Steelers-Digest-Player-of-the-Week/9a1adbea-b673-4ca4-8996-3bea8b2dd72b

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry...did I not give him the game ball and say he played well?

Yeah but followed with saying ( paraphrasing here) he still more or less sucks.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Your right about Sanders, but why would Brown be the goat?

Brown wasn't Brown. drops, practically nothing on returns, he wasn't Antonio Brown.

On a whole, the WR corp was awful IMO.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
statistically Wallace was the least effective WR of the 3 on the same amount of catches 5 across the board for the wide outs

Wallace did step up at the end and I give him credit for that.

zulater
12-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Brown wasn't Brown. drops, practically nothing on returns, he wasn't Antonio Brown.

Drops? I don't remember him dropping any balls? I guess I forget it or wasn't paying attention then?

86WARD
12-02-2012, 09:01 PM
You missed it then. Wallace-esque right in the hands.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM

And slip sliding all over the field.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I forgot that...lol.

oneforthetoe
12-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Save for Heath and Dwyer, was is pretty good out of the backfield, I'll agree with you there. I just don't remember many drops by Brown.

zulater
12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
You missed it then. Wallace-esque right in the hands.

One pass?

It happens. They're humans not robots. One drop isn't exactly goat worthy imo.

He also had a couple key first down catches.

And lastly I know Manny sanders had a couple huge gaffes.

But two things impressed me and makes me put him way above Wallace.

1. You could see those mistakes were killing him! No nonchalance, he was more pissed at himself than any of us were at him and it was obvious.

2. He came back and made a huge 3rd down catch that helped set up the win!!

It's one thing to screw up. But don't compound it by sulking away the rest of the game and not being ready if your called upon later.

To Manny's credit he made a play that put us in a position to score late.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Wallace was there when it mattered at the end of the game. No way he was a goat over Sanders or Brown.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I think the whole offense had its goat moments in the first half. Fortunately, they turned it around in the second half and pulled this one out. We are nowhere close to consistency and elite on offense, but as long as we win, who cares?

Craic
12-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Game Balls

Batch: After the awful game last week, he showed a whole lot of heart today. Made some mistakes obviously, but he also showed that he has been, and still is (at least this week) an NFL QB.

Miller: Is there every a week he's not on this list?

Sean Kugler/Todd Haley: A brilliant move flipping Guard and Center. Pouncey made a couple mistakes today, got schooled once. But overall, did a pretty good job.

Cortez Allen: I don't agree with the PI call, Cortez Allen got pushed off and he grabbed the hand to stop a TD. In short, it was a veteran move by the WR, and Allen did what he had to. They tried to work him all game, and he gave up one TD. That's hard to argue with. Overall, for a player that got isolated (and not an elite CB with years of experience under his belt), he played great today.

zulater
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Wallace was there when it mattered at the end of the game. No way he was a goat over Sanders or Brown.

Brown and Sanders also had critical catches on our last two scoring possessions as well. As we won, none of them are goats imo. But Sanders and Wallace both had memorable goat moments, so it's good for them we won. :lol:

I guess I must have been on a piss or beer break when Antonio had a critical drop? I certainly don't rembember any goat worthy moments on his part?

tube517
12-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Game Balls

Batch: After the awful game last week, he showed a whole lot of heart today. Made some mistakes obviously, but he also showed that he has been, and still is (at least this week) an NFL QB.

Miller: Is there every a week he's not on this list?

Sean Kugler/Todd Haley: A brilliant move flipping Guard and Center. Pouncey made a couple mistakes today, got schooled once. But overall, did a pretty good job.

Will Allen: I don't agree with the PI call, Cortez Allen got pushed off and he grabbed the hand to stop a TD. In short, it was a veteran move by the WR, and Allen did what he had to. They tried to work him all game, and he gave up one TD. That's hard to argue with. Overall, for a player that got isolated (and not an elite CB with years of experience under his belt), he played great today.

Reminds me of Carnell Lake playing CB and Alan Faneca playing LT. Of course those were longer stints but, it shows Pouncey is willing to do what it takes to win.

Godfather
12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
And you know who else was wrong? The coaching stff! That's who! Because they game planned the game away from Charlie in Cleveland.

Not necessarily the wrong call. Charlie was coming in very, very cold. Hadn't had any reps with the receivers in a long time and had never played a down under the new system. I would have done the same thing--rely on the defense and running game and let Charlie get his feet wet against the Clowns.

They weren't counting on the entire RB corps being unable to hold on to the football.

86WARD
12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I think the whole offense had its goat moments in the first half. Fortunately, they turned it around in the second half and pulled this one out. We are nowhere close to consistency and elite on offense, but as long as we win, who cares?

True. Dat!

Craic
12-02-2012, 11:37 PM

True. Dat!

Yep, that's been my mantra for the last six years. I mean, look around the league. Every week there's a game that is much closer than it every should've been.

steelreserve
12-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I guess I must have been on a piss or beer break when Antonio had a critical drop? I certainly don't rembember any goat worthy moments on his part?

Well, he did throw an interception, which was more than any of our other WRs can say ...

I'm not going to blame Brown for anything today. He had a subpar game by his standards, but he probably still isn't 100% from his ankle injury. Sanders would've gotten Shithead of the Game if we'd lost; losing a TD and then giving up one the other way was a 14-point swing. At least you could tell he was upset with himself when he came off the field, instead of wearing a big dumb grin like the $10 million man. Speaking of Wallace, he sure disappeared for most of the game. Overall, a pretty crappy game from everyone in the receiving corps except Miller.

steeldawg
12-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Brown and Sanders also had critical catches on our last two scoring possessions as well. As we won, none of them are goats imo. But Sanders and Wallace both had memorable goat moments, so it's good for them we won. :lol:

Sanders definetly was the worst of 3 as he nearly cost us the game. Wallace had the one drop, but we ended up picking up the first down on the next play, not to mention he was wide open for a nice redemption TD but batch missed him. Wallace was big on the last drive, that first down on the 3rd and 7 when we were backed up in our territory was huge. Brown didnt have a bad game i thought he played pretty well, wasnt real impressed with his punt returning though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, he did throw an interception, which was more than any of our other WRs can say ...

I'm not going to blame Brown for anything today. He had a subpar game by his standards, but he probably still isn't 100% from his ankle injury. Sanders would've gotten Shithead of the Game if we'd lost; losing a TD and then giving up one the other way was a 14-point swing. At least you could tell he was upset with himself when he came off the field, instead of wearing a big dumb grin like the $10 million man. Speaking of Wallace, he sure disappeared for most of the game. Overall, a pretty crappy game from everyone in the receiving corps except Miller.

I will defend wallace as far as people saying he doesnt care. the guy hurt his knee in a scary looking play and came right back in the game at a crucial point. If wallace didnt care and it was all about the money no way he comes back in the game after that knee injury.

GoSlash27
12-03-2012, 09:57 AM
I would've expected any number of things on this forum after a hard-fought win in Baltimore... but a *flamewar*?? :huh:

steelerdude15
12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I have to get it to quite a few people. One, Charlie for playing much better in the second half and leading this team to a victory. I also have to give one to Todd Haley for making good second half adjustments that helped the offense. I also have to give one to Heath for his great play. The touchdown and he also made some key catches that helped get first downs.

HollywoodSteel
12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Game ball goes to Roxie. I think Charlie would agree.

zulater
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Keenan Lewis been mentioned on here yet? Outside of one questionable PI call against him he had another stellar game.

Our number one offseason priority might be to sign Keenan to a long term contract.

DarthSpartans20
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Keenan Lewis been mentioned on here yet? Outside of one questionable PI call against him he had another stellar game.

Our number one offseason priority might be to sign Keenan to a long term contract.
He is tied for first in the league in passes defensed. When is the last time a Steelers corner could claim that?

Craic
12-03-2012, 01:35 PM
He is tied for first in the league in passes defensed. When is the last time a Steelers corner could claim that?

It's been a while. Last year, Troy and Ike were tied at 23rd with 14 passes defended, and William Gay had 13 passes defended.

What's interesting, is that this year. Lewis is tied for first with 19. Taylor is tied for eighth, with 13, and then Ryan Clark doesn't show up until the sixty-third spot (tied with an ungodly amount of players), with 7.

What that is telling me, is that the CB's are doing a great job of covering their guy and are not dependent on the safeties coming over to help make the play. That frees the safeties up to look more carefully for the run game, which is why, IMO, we are 1st in the pass, 5th in the run, and seventh in points allowed.

Steeldude
12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Many game balls to go around. The person(Suisham) who won the game deserves the game ball.

The goats would be the DL. Do they disappear during run plays? Foote and Timmons deserve a little of the blame too. It's expected from a poor LB like Foote, but not from Timmons.

Dwinsgames
12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Many game balls to go around. The person(Suisham) who won the game deserves the game ball.

The goats would be the DL. Do they disappear during run plays? Foote and Timmons deserve a little of the blame too. It's expected from a poor LB like Foote, but not from Timmons.

Foote is what he is however to call him Poor is a bit over the top IMO ... he may in fact be having his best season as a pro this year .... and most times has out played Timmons ( not a popular statement to make in a Steeler forum but true none the less ) statistically he is on pace to be better than anything James Farrior ever put on paper for the Steelers ... so if Foote is poor what does that say for Farrior and Timmons ?

Farrior
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3938/career

Foote
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6014/career

below is Timmons

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8269/career

Foote has more tackles , 4 times as many sacks , twice as many forced fumbles than Timmons with the same amount of games played thus far this year ..... Timmons does have 1 more Int than Foote

so again if Foote is a poor player why the hell is Timmons making so dam much money for so much less production ?

steelreserve
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I've never understood why people think Foote is so bad. He's not an All-Pro making flashy plays every down, but he's usually where he needs to be and I've seen him make a lot more good plays than bad over the years. Maybe he doesn't impress people because he's not a pass rusher or a guy who blows up running plays for losses all the time. That's not really his game. His strengths are containing plays and taking away options in the short passing game, and he does that well. I don't see him always getting outrun, or lost in coverage or anything. There's nothing wrong with him, but I guess people want a playmaker at every position.

Steeldude
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I've never understood why people think Foote is so bad. He's not an All-Pro making flashy plays every down, but he's usually where he needs to be and I've seen him make a lot more good plays than bad over the years. Maybe he doesn't impress people because he's not a pass rusher or a guy who blows up running plays for losses all the time. That's not really his game. His strengths are containing plays and taking away options in the short passing game, and he does that well. I don't see him always getting outrun, or lost in coverage or anything. There's nothing wrong with him, but I guess people want a playmaker at every position.

but he's usually where he needs to be

No. He is usually out of position. Sure he makes tackles, but it's usually him waiting the ball carrier to come to him. He is also atrocious in pass coverage.

His strengths are containing plays

If that's his strength then he is worse than I thought.

SteelGhost
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
The whole D, Miller, Dwyer, Suisham and .... yes ... Batch.

Dwinsgames
12-03-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Steeldude http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=339784#post339784)
. It's expected from a poor LB like Foote, but not from Timmons.

Foote is what he is however to call him Poor is a bit over the top IMO ... he may in fact be having his best season as a pro this year .... and most times has out played Timmons ( not a popular statement to make in a Steeler forum but true none the less ) statistically he is on pace to be better than anything James Farrior ever put on paper for the Steelers ... so if Foote is poor what does that say for Farrior and Timmons ?

Farrior

Foote

below is Timmons

Foote has more tackles , 4 times as many sacks , twice as many forced fumbles than Timmons with the same amount of games played thus far this year ..... Timmons does have 1 more Int than Foote

so again if Foote is a poor player why the hell is Timmons making so dam much money for so much less production ?

http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/crickets.gif

steelreserve
12-04-2012, 12:18 AM
No. He is usually out of position. Sure he makes tackles, but it's usually him waiting the ball carrier to come to him. He is also atrocious in pass coverage.

If that's his strength then he is worse than I thought.

Dude ... no offense, I like you man, but ... you think everyone is atrocious.

Craic
12-04-2012, 12:24 AM

:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Steeldude http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=339784#post339784)
. It's expected from a poor LB like Foote, but not from Timmons.

Farrior

Foote

below is Timmons

http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/crickets.gif

crickets are pretty loud ....

guess they are blocking someone ability to hear ....

those stats are pretty hard to argue with maybe he decided to pretend they did not exist ?

Steeldude
12-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Just the ones that are atrocious. We can't all be like you and feel everyone is great.

Good job on the exaggeration. Come again : )

steelreserve
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
But I don't think everyone is great. There are a number of players who suck big dicks. I just don't think Foote is one of them. He's not great, but he's acceptable.

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
love how a statement is made and then it is challenged and then ignored as if the challenge to defend the comment was never made ... nice dodging work steeldude

GBMelBlount
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM

I like Steeldude a lot too....and there is almost always an element of truth to what he says.

But Dwins made a great point on Foote's tackling stats and play. I think Foote has played well.

So I guess the question is is there a legitimate explanation as to how Foote can have phenomenal tackling stats yet be terrible?

Dwinsgames
12-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I like Steeldude a lot too....and there is almost always an element of truth to what he says.

But Dwins made a great point on Foote's tackling stats and I think Foote has played pretty well.

So I guess the question is is there a legitimate explanation as to how Foote can have phenomenal tackling stats yet be terrible?

not just tackles but 4x as many sacks as Timmons yet he claims timmons to be real good and Foote real bad ....

also Foote is on pace to eclipse the best year Farrior ever had in black and Gold statistically ...I have posted it at the very least 3 times in this thread and he avoids it like the plague but quotes steelreserve and trying to argue points without anything but opinionated offerings as his body of proof ...

seems to me he is avoiding the tough questions that deserve answers yet still wants a dog in the fight ....

all I ask from anyone is if they are going to condemn a player or coach to back it up with some solid fact based evidence , opinions are cheap everyone has one but what do you base it on ??

I prefer to base mine not only on " the eyeball test " but what mark a player leaves on the field of play , those marks are statistics obtained while playing the game ... many believe tackles are a useless stat and to a point I can ALMOST understand it but at the end of the day tackles need to be made or you never stop anybody and tackles are accountability for the time you spent on the field ... sacks are game changing / drive changing plays /flow changing plays they count a lot .... the most basic of basic purpose of playing defense is to slow and eventually stop your opponent before they can score you do that by tackling you do that by driving them backwards Foote has done more of Both than Timmons yet he remains silent on how he perceive Timmons very good and Foote bad....

why make a outlandish statement and then avoid defending it ???

its called accountability

steelreserve
12-04-2012, 11:27 PM
My feeling is a lot of people - not just Steeldude - think Foote sucks because you see him a lot when he makes tackles after the RB gains 4 yards, or gives up a catch and tackles a receiver after a gain of 8. It's not really a glamorous or disruptive style of play, and to a lot of people it probably looks like we "lost" the play because we didn't stand them up. Some people call that sitting back and waiting for the action to come to you; I'm happy that we didn't let 4 yards turn into 12, or 8 turn into 18. I think it's good to have a guy like that - not everyone can be an aggressive playmaker. That's Timmons' job, and he's good in that role (and looks better doing it). If Foote tried to do that, he'd get embarrassed, so does he? No, he does the smart thing and makes himself useful in a more basic-defense role, which is where his talent is. It's not like we're paying him a huge contract or depending on him to take over games. You need role players, and that's what he is. And IMO he's pretty good at it.

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2012, 12:00 AM

look no further than the raiders LB's of 2000-2010 for the reason why tackles on the stat sheet arent an indicator of how good a player is. they always used to have guys like kirk morrison who everyone knew were terrible but made lots of tackles because their defense was on the field so long.

i agree with you that foote is playing pretty decently but that might be what he was thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

My feeling is a lot of people - not just Steeldude - think Foote sucks because you see him a lot when he makes tackles after the RB gains 4 yards, or gives up a catch and tackles a receiver after a gain of 8. It's not really a glamorous or disruptive style of play, and to a lot of people it probably looks like we "lost" the play because we didn't stand them up. Some people call that sitting back and waiting for the action to come to you; I'm happy that we didn't let 4 yards turn into 12, or 8 turn into 18. I think it's good to have a guy like that - not everyone can be an aggressive playmaker. That's Timmons' job, and he's good in that role (and looks better doing it). If Foote tried to do that, he'd get embarrassed, so does he? No, he does the smart thing and makes himself useful in a more basic-defense role, which is where his talent is. It's not like we're paying him a huge contract or depending on him to take over games. You need role players, and that's what he is. And IMO he's pretty good at it.

agreed. looks to me like the D line is the biggest weakness on this team and some people fail to understand that it affects the other 2 levels of the defense. especially the linebackers.

Seven
12-05-2012, 03:56 AM
The issue I have with Foote is that it appears he is always the guy who gets caught abandoning his gap. He seems to be tackling fine and has even been a little better in coverage this year than I expected but I consistently see him either forget or simply disregard his assignment - both against the run and pass.

GBMelBlount
12-05-2012, 05:06 AM
look no further than the raiders LB's of 2000-2010 for the reason why tackles on the stat sheet arent an indicator of how good a player is. they always used to have guys like kirk morrison who everyone knew were terrible but made lots of tackles because their defense was on the field so long.

i agree with you that foote is playing pretty decently but that might be what he was thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

agreed. looks to me like the D line is the biggest weakness on this team and some people fail to understand that it affects the other 2 levels of the defense. especially the linebackers.

We don't spend the amount of time on the field that the raiders do but I get your point.

I guess the main thing to me is that while most would agree Foote is probably not pro bowl caliber and has weaknesses and limitations and made mistakes that he has played reasonably well this season and better than most expected.

Pro bowler or not, I for one am thankful we have him.

steeldawg
12-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Foote is getting caught out of position alot this season, i think it may be due to him getting older and losing a step, so hes trying to anticipate certain plays to compensate and when he guesses wrong hes caught out of position. With that being said i think he has been decent this season, but its a spot on the defense we do have to look at upgrading next season.

LLT
12-05-2012, 06:50 AM

But Dwins made a great point on Foote's tackling stats and play. I think Foote has played well.

In a nutshell...no.

But since we are talking about 3-4 inside linebackers...there are really two separate positions. A strongside LB called the "Mack" and the weakside LB called the "Buck" . The Buck is commonly the player filling gaps against the run, along with short middle zone pass coverage...while the Mack linebacker is more of a scrape-and pursue defender.

Edman
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Late to the party.

Heroes.

Charlie of course. I knew he was an underappreciated backup and while he had a hard time in Cleveland, I wasn't too hard on him because everyone on offense fucked up that day. Had a shaky first half, overcoming WR incompetence all day and still shredded the Ravens in their house.

The O-Line. Horse Face was a complete Non-Factor. Run blocking could've been better, but Batch could sit back there and make a sandwich all game long. The Ravens Defensive Front, usually a nightmare in the past, was completely neutralized and exposed.

The Defense. Another week. Another solid performance overcoming sputtering offense and mistakes. The Ravens O had a better performance than last game, and that's a given since they were at home, but they kept up the pressure on Bert and forced turnovers. James Harrison is returning to pre-injury form. The Defense has improved tremendously since the beginning of the season and is keeping this team in games.

steelreserve
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
The O-Line. Horse Face was a complete Non-Factor. Run blocking could've been better, but Batch could sit back there and make a sandwich all game long. The Ravens Defensive Front, usually a nightmare in the past, was completely neutralized and exposed.

I didn't know Sarah Jessica Parker played for the Ravens. They must be desperate.

http://slaymyboredom.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/horse-reflection.jpg?w=580