PDA

View Full Version : Batch!

GBMelBlount
12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Great game Batch!

I knew Charlie was capable of playing this well.

Polamalu Princess
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Great job Batch!

polamalubeast
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
amazing second half of Charlie

Batch and the steelers shock the world!

tube517
12-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Gutty effort by Chuck Batch. Beating the Ratbirds in their house. Hats off to Batch, Earl and Suisham

zulater
12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Proposed 2 week board ban for the next poster that calls him "Botch" . :chuckle:

He wasn't perfect, but he made plays that we couldn't have won without.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Batch played a great second half. Way to go Charlie!!!

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Team effort. Had to get this "but Ben" mentality out of the offense.

Way to win it for Roxi and for Steelers Nation. BAtch!

salamander
Last week: Charlie Batch sucks and needs to be cut.
This week: Charlie Batch is awesome.

Amazing how much difference one week makes. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
Now we have a serious shot at hitting the playoffs without HAVING to rush Ben back.

This was huge.

X-Terminator
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm obviously his biggest detractor, but he does not get one bad word out of me for the rest of his career (even if it ends this season). Beating the Ravens in Baltimore when they absolutely had to get it done...he's earned it. Outstanding job in both play and leadership from Charlie.

Edman
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
How about that Botch?

Granted he didn't have a great day, but he played well when we needed him to.

GBMelBlount
12-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm obviously his biggest detractor, but he does not get one bad word out of me for the rest of his career (even if it ends this season). Beating the Ravens in Baltimore when they absolutely had to get it done...he's earned it. Outstanding job in both play and leadership from Charlie.

That's nice of you to say XT.

This has been his first really good game in a long time and maybe the last of his career but he really toughed it out in the clutch when we needed it today.

We really needed this.

Psycho Ward 86
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
this game seriously makes me want to rest ben until the playoffs (assuming we make it) or if we start dropping games. the chargers, cowboys, bengals, and browns are all deceptively tough games but i feel pretty good about those considering 3 of the 4 are at home.

stillers4me
I had a gut feeling this morning that this game was NOT going to be what the world expected! Thank you, Charlie!!! You have always been the #1 backup in my book....always!

http://www.designsbyfoush.com/samples/caricatures/CHARLIE-BATCH.jpg

salamander
Anyone see how emotional he was after the game? I'm happy for him. He played well when we needed him to.

tube517
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Call me crazy but his biggest "play" was right before the 2 minute warning. I saw some fire and leadership from Batch. He looked like he was pumping them up and telling the huddle to win the game there.

43Hitman
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Ditto.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
How about that Botch?

Granted he didn't have a great day, but he played well when we needed him to.

25-36 -276 and a TD is a fantastic day for ANY third string QB and better than MOST first string QBs in this league vs the ravens

ALLD
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
He did not lose the game for us. His picks were really bad, but there was plenty of blame to go around in the passing game. Heath and Brown were consistent as usual.

How about #92 and #96. Cortez Allen even held up, although one got by him.

The team that made more plays won the game. That's how it should be and it was.

Shoes
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Bull dog play by Chuck.....I'm very happy for him!!!
:hatsoff:

Mamaduck43
12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Anyone see how emotional he was after the game? I'm happy for him. He played well when we needed him to.

I think that this is the first Steelers' win that I found myself at the end of the game with tears pouring down my face.... I have been a Batch Backer all along, and if this very well might be his last pro game, all I can say is, "What a way to go!!!!" A great win - - and a great team player...... Thank you, Charlie......

fansince'76
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1820989/steelerbros.gif

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526814_287215821399902_894140487_n.jpg

GBMelBlount
12-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I think that this is the first Steelers' win that I found myself at the end of the game with tears pouring down my face.... I have been a Batch Backer all along, and if this very well might be his last pro game, all I can say is, "What a way to go!!!!" A great win - - and a great team player...... Thank you, Charlie......

Gotta admit I was tearing up too. I could not be happier for Charlie. He is a good man.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1820989/steelerbros.gif

Do you have more of this? Looks like a coach comes in and starts humping Batch. Is that coach Wilson? Maybe that's where Mendy learned it? :noidea:

But seriously, is that Ben he is hugging? Way to go Charlie.

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
He did not lose the game for us. His picks were really bad, but there was plenty of blame to go around in the passing game. Heath and Brown were consistent as usual.

Dude, fuck that! He was a major player in getting us the win! What you're saying doesn't wash"!

fansince'76
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
But seriously, what player is he hugging?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Ben.

Moose
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I had a gut feeling this morning that this game was NOT going to be what the world expected!

I had the same feeling this morning when I posted on the 'Game day' thread (#15). A lost would hurt, but it would have been expected. A win would be probably the day's biggest upset. But as I said in the 'game day' thread.....we seem to pull wins like this out of a hat occasionally. Congrats Steeler's on big win, and Congrats Charlie.

ALLD
12-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Batch had better numbers than unibrow average.
Batch: 25-36 Int 276
Bert:16-34 Int 188

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Yep...that was Ben. He was chewing on that towel the whole game. :chuckle:

tube517
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Ben.

Yep, it was Ben. Leftwich is tall too but he would've broken his ribs and sprained his shoulder holding Charlie like that.

ALLD
12-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Dude, fuck that! He was a major player in getting us the win! What you're saying doesn't wash"!

I am looking at the game strictly analytically, not emotionally. I am very happy that he got us the victory, but he made some mistakes that a starter would not make- albeit he is third string. Yes, he got us down there when we needed it, but he also put us in the hole. The D bailed us out again. The victory ball goes to Sushi because he kicked the game winner, much like Adam Vinateri deserves credit for a couple of SB wins.

Godfather
12-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome. I'm glad we kept him around. He got his groove back in just one week, after spending two years holding a clipboard. That's amazing.

Imagine where we'd be if we had to sign a guy off the street to play today.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Charlie only had 1 pick today and he would've most likely had over 300 yards and 2 TDs if Sanders didn't pull such a boneheaded move. Give him some credit. He earned it.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I am looking at the game strictly analytically, not emotionally. I am very happy that he got us the victory, but he made some mistakes that a starter would not make- albeit he is third string. Yes, he got us down there when we needed it, but he also put us in the hole. The D bailed us out again. The victory ball goes to Sushi because he kicked the game winner, much like Adam Vinateri deserves credit for a couple of SB wins.

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/bsflag.gif

25-36-276 yards and a TD is far better than MOST starters do on an average week that are considered by some of the media as " elite" when facing the ravens , in fact it is better than what Ben normally does vs the Ravens ....

not to mention Wallace dropped some balls that would have easily made him go for 325+ and multiple TDs , and then the fumble by Sanders looked like it had a chance to go for 6 and 35 more yards passing would be in the books on that play

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Again fuck that! Give the guy some credit! :frusty: He played a winning game in the second half. Period! If you can't acknowledge that... :upyours:

Sorry but you're being a douche.

steel striker
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
That a a great game by Charlie and, Heath Shaun for hitting the game winning FG. Our boys over came alot this game but, they really came through when hardly anyone gave us a chance in this one.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Batch deserves full credit. A lot of us were calling for Tomlin to change to Hoyer at the half (I was one of them). Even Wallace decided to get in the game near the end and made some grabs.

Pretty good 2nd half by the whole team. That is what it is all about. Team work.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
A lot of us were calling for Tomlin to change to Hoyer at the half (I was one of them).

Some were even calling for Hoying. :lol:

86WARD
12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Still had some horrible plays, but he had some good ones today too...he lacked the gooder ones previously...

zulater
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Some were even calling for Hoying. :lol:

That would be me. I'm old and rememeber an old Eagles qb by the name of Bobby Hoying, and get the names mixed up. :doh:

Craic
12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious, IMO. Let's not get carried away, both praising, or downgrading his play. And to those who like to read one or two lines and then (over)react--please read the whole post (or don't bother responding).

1. He had an above average day in comparison to other QB's. His rating today was 10th, with a 89.5 rating. That is not in the elite category, period. It is however, in the top third of all QB play today (10th out of 30 QBs).

2. In a critical part of the game, he threw an INT that for all intents and purposes, should have lost us the game (not to mention an earlier TD pass to a wide open Wallace that sailed right over his head). The fact that it didn't, goes to our defense getting a strip-sack. However--

3. When given an opportunity to make up for the mistake, he capitalized on it. That is the mark of a veteran QB that knows how to play the game, and seized the opportunity to redeem himself.

4. What shouldn't be, and can't be discounted, is Batch's desire to win this game. He ran downfield and threw blocks to spring the first TD (Ok, maybe not threw blocks, but he did block). He showed leadership in the final drive, taking the field with about five minutes left, and taking control of the game to choke the life out of the Ravens.

In short, he played at the level I would expect for a good, veteran QB who has played most of the games this year to play. The fact that this was only his second start makes it a very good game for Charlie Batch, and a "decent to good" game for a regular starting QB if he was a starter.

So no, I don't want him to start the rest of the season to rest Ben, nor do I think that overall, he didn't get "bailed out" by the defense, because even with his one INT, he had a sure TD dropped by Sanders.

All that to say: Very good job today Batch. Way to answer the bell and infuse a lot of hope and possibly momentum into this team.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious, IMO. Let's not get carried away, both praising, or downgrading his play. And to those who like to read one or two lines and then (over)react--please read the whole post (or don't bother responding).

1. He had an above average day in comparison to other QB's. His rating today was 10th, with a 89.5 rating. That is not in the elite category, period. It is however, in the top third of all QB play today (10th out of 30 QBs).

2. In a critical part of the game, he threw an INT that for all intents and purposes, should have lost us the game (not to mention an earlier TD pass to a wide open Wallace that sailed right over his head). The fact that it didn't, goes to our defense getting a strip-sack. However--

3. When given an opportunity to make up for the mistake, he capitalized on it. That is the mark of a veteran QB that knows how to play the game, and seized the opportunity to redeem himself.

4. What shouldn't be, and can't be discounted, is Batch's desire to win this game. He ran downfield and threw blocks to spring the first TD (Ok, maybe not threw blocks, but he did block). He showed leadership in the final drive, taking the field with about five minutes left, and taking control of the game to choke the life out of the Ravens.

In short, he played at the level I would expect for a good, veteran QB who has played most of the games this year to play. The fact that this was only his second start makes it a very good game for Charlie Batch, and a "decent to good" game for a regular starting QB if he was a starter.

So no, I don't want him to start the rest of the season to rest Ben, nor do I think that overall, he didn't get "bailed out" by the defense, because even with his one INT, he had a sure TD dropped by Sanders.

All that to say: Very good job today Batch. Way to answer the bell and infuse a lot of hope and possibly momentum into this team.

If we are going to " reiterate his failed plays " lets also look at the plays he made that his receivers failed him on .....

Wallace 3 drops one was a deep pass that hit him in the hands inside the 5 yard line ( near the sidelines ) would have netted Charlie another 35 yards on that 1 play alone and a potential TD because the defender was in front of wallace and nobody behind him ......

Sanders fumble in the open field on a 30 something yard gain and he too had nobody between him and the end zone , would have netted Charlie another 30 or so passing yards and another TD

those 2 plays alone stole 70 yards passing and 2 TDs from his stat line add in the other 2 drops by Wallace and 20 more yards for those and what does his QB rating become at that point ?

I mean since we are surmising may as well keep it fair correct ?

I did not see where anyone said he was elite ... I did say his numbers today are where better than the so called Elite guys average in a game vs the Ravens , and I did say his game today is better than what Ben normally does against the Ravens but there is a difference in that and saying Charlie himself is elite http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/ok.gif

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't think anybody is inferring that Charlie plays like an elite starting QB.

Today, he played like an elite backup QB. Name another team that has one of those.

X-Terminator
12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't think anybody is inferring that Charlie plays like an elite starting QB.

Today, he played like an elite backup QB. Name another team that has one of those.

Well, he did play better than Marsha today, and Mr. Discount Double-Check had only 10 more yards passing...

zulater
12-02-2012, 08:30 PM
If we are going to " reiterate his failed plays " lets also look at the plays he made that his receivers failed him on .....

Wallace 3 drops one was a deep pass that hit him in the hands inside the 5 yard line ( near the sidelines ) would have netted Charlie another 35 yards on that 1 play alone and a potential TD because the defender was in front of wallace and nobody behind him ......

Sanders fumble in the open field on a 30 something yard gain and he too had nobody between him and the end zone , would have netted Charlie another 30 or so passing yards and another TD

those 2 plays alone stole 70 yards passing and 2 TDs from his stat line add in the other 2 drops by Wallace and 20 more yards for those and what does his QB rating become at that point ?

I did not see where anyone said he was elite ... I did say his numbers today are where better than the so called Elite guys average in a game vs the Ravens , and I did say his game today is better than what Ben normally does against the Ravens but there is a difference in that and saying Charlie himself is elite http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/ok.gif

Great post!

Hey I got caught up in the Batch sucks nonsense this week and early today too! But at least I'll admit I was wrong and say Charlie came through and was a huge factor in a much needed win today! Why anyone would attach any qualifiers to CB's performance today baffles me?

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks Zu

I did not post much about CB this week , learned my lesson from the long drawn out process here before , I will leave it alone its not a fight that can be won regardless of how well or poor he plays ...

he is what he is ... a 6-3 relief pitcher more often than not he will come through for you it may not be pretty or fashionable but he normally gets it done , not sure any team in the league has a guy on their roster playing backup that has gone 6-3 for them in spot duty and I am positive nobody has one that has done it over an 11 year time frame ...

but at the end of the day we must realize as well as he has done over this long span his days are numbered based on age alone ... if he never plays the game again he went out like a Champion ....

Charlie Loves Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh loves Charlie and he left his heart and soul on that field tonight for his City and his team

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
That would be me. I'm old and rememeber an old Eagles qb by the name of Bobby Hoying, and get the names mixed up. :doh:

Well, I wasn't going to name names. :lol:

st33lersguy
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm glad Batch returned to form. He has helped out pull out a lot of wins but this has to be his biggest in Pittsburgh

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Bill Cowher‏@CowherCBS
How about the young QBs today. Russell Wilson leading Seattle and Luck leading Indy..& young Charlie Batch (38 yrs old) leading Pgh..Kudos!

GBMelBlount
12-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Agreed....and who said to play Batch the rest of the season simply to "rest" Ben?

The current situation is very similar to last year in that the number one priority at this moment is to make the playoffs and the number two priority is to have Ben as close to 100% as possible in the playoffs.

I just hope they don't make the same neanderthal mistake they did last year and risk playing Ben injured when it was not absolutely necessary.

Craic
12-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Here:

25-36-276 yards and a TD is far better than MOST starters do on an average week that are considered by some of the media as " elite" when facing the ravens , in fact it is better than what Ben normally does vs the Ravens ....

I never said that anyone said he was "elite." I pointed out there his numbers, and his QB rating, did not equate to a game played by an elite QB, which a lot of people seem to think tonight that it does. An Elite QB not having an off night will play in the 90's or higher, QB rating wise. While the rating isn't the be-all end-all by far, it is even more accurate for Batch, who is more dependent on the tradition role of the QB, rather than doing what Ben does, or RGIII, or someone else of more athletic ability. That's not a knock on Batch, just that his style's quite a bit different - and in truth, about what I'd expect from Ben when he's that age as well.

If we are going to do that - then why not factor in the overthrow for a TD that he should have had, and also factor in the sacks because he couldn't get the ball out on time, plus etc. etc. Look, we can go back and forth on this and my point isn't to denigrate the guy, he have a very good game. He didn't however, have an "elite" game today.

And I never said that anyone called him "elite." That's reading into my post something that's not there. In fact, here's my post:

He had an above average day in comparison to other QB's. His rating today was 10th, with a 89.5 rating. That is not in the elite category, period.

It's all referring to today.

Great post!

Hey I got caught up in the Batch sucks nonsense this week and early today too! But at least I'll admit I was wrong and say Charlie came through and was a huge factor in a much needed win today! Why anyone would attach any qualifiers to CB's performance today baffles me?

Because the level for "Great game" for a 3rd string QB in his second start in over a year is vastly different than for a first string starter. If that was Ben's day today, I'd say he had a typical day at the office. Nothing to write home about, or would you be praising Ben tonight as playing an "elite" game today? No? that's the reason for the qualifier.

Agreed....and who said to play Batch the rest of the season simply to "rest" Ben?

The current situation is very similar to last year in that the number one priority at this moment is to make the playoffs and the number two priority is to have Ben as close to 100% as possible in the playoffs.

I just hope they don't make the same neanderthal mistake they did last year and risk playing Ben injured when it was not absolutely necessary.

Here's your answer.

this game seriously makes me want to rest ben until the playoffs (assuming we make it) or if we start dropping games. the chargers, cowboys, bengals, and browns are all deceptively tough games but i feel pretty good about those considering 3 of the 4 are at home.

(Sorry PW - not calling you out here, just answering GB's question).

Look, it was a great win for Batch, a win that I was very happy to see, and very happy that he got. He played well and there's no taking away from that. I'm not however, going to put on the blinders.

With all that said, I do hope he retires at the end of the season--because what a game to have as the last game of your career, and that couldn't ever be taken away from him.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Preacher , you had already included the over throw in the end zone as part of his QB rating to start with so why would we want to re include it ..you can't count it twice ...

I will continue to say his game was better than what it equates to on paper because of failed efforts of his receivers today ... 2 TDs left on the field several drops

but it is what it is not going to debate it to death ...

we got the Win and at the end of the day that is truly what is important

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Dwinsgames: 25-36-276 yards and a TD is far better than MOST starters do on an average week that are considered by some of the media as " elite" when facing the ravens , in fact it is better than what Ben normally does vs the Ravens ....

Dwins was not calling Batch elite, he was saying that his performance today eclipses many of the numbers put up by "elite" QBs when they play the Ravens. Even some of Ben's numbers.

GodfatherofSoul
12-02-2012, 09:55 PM

I saw that too. Makes me pretty sure he saw this as his last game as a starter.

Craic
12-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Preacher , you had already included the over throw in the end zone as part of his QB rating to start with so why would we want to re include it ..you can't count it twice ...

Actually, I was counting the overthrow in the endzone in relation to the NFL QB rating, which doesn't have a way of incorporating that kind of mistake. I wasn't clear on that however, sorry. In context, I can see how you would read it the other way.

I will continue to say his game was better than what it equates to on paper because of failed efforts of his receivers today ... 2 TDs left on the field several drops but it is what it is not going to debate it to death ...

But Flacco also had a TD dropped today, and at least one or two of his long passes should have been caught or at the very least, fought for. I thought his receivers gave up on them. The same could probably be said for every QB in the league on an average Sunday. So that's why I don't take stats as the be-all end-all, but view them in relation to other players and their performances. I will say your right, but for other reasons. What stats can't show, is the heart and leadership he exhibited today. THAT is what we should be raving about, IMO, rather than a decent to good day at the office.

we got the Win and at the end of the day that is truly what is important

And that is exactly right. It really does throw a wrench in the playoff works too. Especially if we can win out. Speaking of which . . . I think there might be the need for a new thread concerning the Ravens schedule... and ours.

And for the next "Didn't read my post closely enough" post:

Dwins was not calling Batch elite, he was saying that his performance today eclipses many of the numbers put up by "elite" QBs when they play the Ravens. Even some of Ben's numbers.

Neither did I say he did. Please re-read both posts again to see that I never surmised he did call Batch elite. He only called the game Batch played elite, as I alluded to in both the post your quoted, and my original post.

EDIT: Sorry, just getting frustrated when people say I'm saying something I didn't, especially when I've already clarified myself.

Dino 6 Rings
12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Call me crazy but his biggest "play" was right before the 2 minute warning. I saw some fire and leadership from Batch. He looked like he was pumping them up and telling the huddle to win the game there.

This.

Count Steeler
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
And for the next "Didn't read my post closely enough" post:

Neither did I say he did. Please re-read both posts again to see that I never surmised he did call Batch elite. He only called the game Batch played elite, as I alluded to in both the post your quoted, and my original post.

EDIT: Sorry, just getting frustrated when people say I'm saying something I didn't, especially when I've already clarified myself.

Preacher said: I never said that anyone said he was "elite." I pointed out there his numbers, and his QB rating, did not equate to a game played by an elite QB, which a lot of people seem to think tonight that it does.

Not to belabor the point, but he did not call Batch nor his game statistics elite. He was comparing the numbers put up today by Batch against numbers that have been put up by "elite" QBs against the "vaunted" Raven's defense. Including some of Ben's numbers.

Simply stated, Batch had a very good game, better than some "elite" QBs have had against the Ravens.

stillers4me
12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
We won.

On to next week.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Not to belabor the point, but he did not call Batch nor his game statistics elite. He was comparing the numbers put up today by Batch against numbers that have been put up by "elite" QBs against the "vaunted" Raven's defense. Including some of Ben's numbers.

Simply stated, Batch had a very good game, better than some "elite" QBs have had against the Ravens.

this

Craic
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM

But comparisons do one thing, and that's equate. So yes, if he's saying that the numbers are better than game numbers elite QB's have had against the Ravens, then he is, by definition, saying that the numbers today are elite numbers (with the stipulation that they are elite numbers against the Raven's defense).

The problem with the stipulation though, is that this Ravens defense isn't the same as previous years. So looking at this years defense against QB's:

Brady had a 101.2
Vick had a 94.7
Romo had a 97.1
Schaub had a 100.7
Heck, Palmer, in that smackdown the Ravens put on Oakland, still had a 95.4 rating against this defense.
Rivers had a 91.0
Batch 89.5

So, once again, no. Batch's numbers tonight do not equate with "elite" Qb one game numbers, because they don't even match with the one game numbers of average to good QB's in the league against this year's Raven defense.

And that was my point. We are getting a little carried away with singing his praises for this game. I fully admit, I was very moved by the end of the game and his crying on Ben's shoulder. I was proud of the way he stepped to the plate in the second half and led the team. I think he did a wonderful job, especially with everything he had to overcome concerning not taking snaps and coming off a really bad game, and going into your hated rival's building to play.

It just isn't the storybook fantasy that I'm suspecting some people want to make it. That's all.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 11:17 PM
25-36-276 yards and a TD is far better than MOST starters do on an average week that are considered by some of the media as " elite" when facing the ravens , in fact it is better than what Ben normally does vs the Ravens ...

This is what I said

Craic
12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
This is what I said

I know, I quoted you below a couple times. I admit, I went ahead and used QB ratings because they make it easier to compare, even though they also incorporate TD's and INT's. Also, my last line about storybook fantasy wasn't directed at you. It was a generalization of the thread.

But what I think my last post showed, is that overall, "elite" QB's actually are putting up better numbers against the Ravens than Batch did (Brady - and he's the only one that has played the Ravens this year that can be considered elite). Then I showed five other QB's that aren't elite, and showed they also had better ratings (again, I realize you used three specific stats, so this is comparing Florida Oranges and Satsuma Oranges--a good connection, but not exactly the same).

And if I had to pick at your post - that's the one place I would have the problem, the previous year's Raven Defense is not this year's defense.

Austin87
12-03-2012, 04:57 AM
Batch did what he had to do to win, he wasn't spectacular. He just got it done. Cannot expect anything more from your third-string QB.

zulater
12-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Batch did what he had to do to win, he wasn't spectacular. He just got it done. Cannot expect anything more from your third-string QB.

Really? He was in the 2nd half...

Batch was 16 of 20 for 219 yards in the second half and brought the team back from a 13-3 deficit.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/report-card-steelers-earn-a-a-against-the-ravens-664722/#ixzz2DzHo4krP

I don't know what more you're looking for in a quarterback than that?

tube517
12-03-2012, 06:55 AM
His stats on the final drive were really good. That, nobody can argue with.

steelerdude15
12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Even though his first half wasn't that good, everyone has to give him credit for turning it around and playing much better in the second half. That was a great second half by Batch and he led this team to score after score. He definitely seemed to be in more control in the second half as well.

Moose
12-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey....WTF !! Everyone sounds like they are writing Batch off......we still have games to play and Ben is still hurting isn't he ?? Did I miss some news that Ben is 100% and will be suiting up for the Bolts ?

polamalubeast
12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I can not believe that has people that they are not happy with the game of Batch.....c'mon....For a backup,he was amazing, especially in 2nd half

Only 2 QB won on the road against Baltimore in the NFL since 2010....The 2 QB are Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch

Craic
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I can not believe that has people that they are not happy with the game of Batch.....c'mon....For a backup,he was amazing, especially in 2nd half

Only 2 QB won on the road against Baltimore in the NFL since 2010....The 2 QB are Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch

I don't know if anyone is saying that they're not happy with Batch's game last night--maybe one or two people. Personally, I agree with you that for a backup he played a great game in the second half and when it counted, showed up and put up the "W".

zulater
12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't know if anyone is saying that they're not happy with Batch's game last night--maybe one or two people. Personally, I agree with you that he played a great game in the second half and when it counted, showed up and put up the "W".

Corrected it for ya! :heh:

Seriously Preach, CB played a great 2nd half. There's no need to add qualfiers, such as "for a back up". Ben hasn't had many second halves to rival what Charlie did yesterday.

And no that's certainly not making a comparison between the two. I'm just pointing out that Charlie had a helluva second half.

Craic
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Corrected it for ya! :heh:

Seriously Preach, CB played a great 2nd half. There's no need to add qualfiers, such as "for a back up". Ben hasn't had many second halves to rival what Charlie did yesterday.

And no that's certainly not making a comparison between the two. I'm just pointing out that Charlie had a helluva second half.

Didn't need the correction, as I meant what I said the first time.

First drive in the second half:

Four short left passes - 1 of the defended.
One deep pass to Miller.
His best play on this drive? Throwing the blocks to spring Dwyer. Of course, I was yelling at him because his proclivity for injury doesn't line up with a play like that, and the last thing I wanted was to see Hoying :chuckle: come in.

That's not a great series. That's a decent series played by a smart oldtimer that sees the defense leaving a specific part of the field open. So, 0 great drives, 1 decent drive, 0 bad drives.

Second drive:

Incomplete pass short left (see a pattern starting?)
Batch to Sanders, deep pass. Nice pass as well, have no problem giving him credit for that. Sanders however, :doh:

Gotta this an incomplete. he was only 50%, but that was a nice pass.

Third drive:

Deep left to Brown
Short right to Wallace.
Incomplete deep middle.

That's a decent series for him, 2-3, but on that third down, he overthrew a wide open Wallace in the endzone. 0 great drives, 2 decent drives, 0 bad drives, 1 inc.

Fourth drive: (first drive of fourth quarter)
Batch short middle.
Sacked.
Pass short middle
Interception.

2-4 on pass plays, with a sack and an INT. Not good at all. 0 Great, 2 Decent, 1 Bad, 1 Inc.

Fifth drive:
short right (three yards)
Deep middle.
Short right - TD. TD made by a great play by Miller.

This is a good drive, not great, but good. Notice that he's making all of his passes on short little drop offs. That's fine, that's what a wily veteran backup QB should be doing, instead of making plays like Ben does and stretching the field time and time again with completed passes. So, 0 Great, 3 Decent, 1 Bad, 1 Inc.

Last drive:
Short right
short left
short right
short right
short left

Good drive. He made good decision on this drive. But nothing was outstanding. He simply took what was given to him, and was helped out by a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty as well (a legit. call). Nevertheless, this was a high-pressure drive and Batch responded. So I'll give him a "great" on this one. 1 great drive, 3 decent drives, 1 bad drive, 1 Inc. drive.

That's not a helluva second half in my book. That's a second half that would be expected of any starter, up to the last drive which was a very good study in smart football and leading your team to win.

I expect a "helluva second half" to include more than five deep balls - one of which was picked off, and one of which was vastly overthrown to a wide-open receiver in the middle of the endzone. So that equates to three (3) good throws more than a few yards down field.

Do you honestly expect your starters to only have three good down field throws in a half of football? ESPECIALLY against a team that's ranked 23rd in total yards against the pass and 16th in yards per attempt?

So no, "FOR A BACKUP" is exactly what I mean, because those are very good BACKUP numbers against this Ravens defense this year.

zulater
12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Didn't need the correction, as I meant what I said the first time.

First drive in the second half:

Four short left passes - 1 of the defended.
One deep pass to Miller.
His best play on this drive? Throwing the blocks to spring Dwyer. Of course, I was yelling at him because his proclivity for injury doesn't line up with a play like that, and the last thing I wanted was to see Hoying :chuckle: come in.

That's not a great series. That's a decent series played by a smart oldtimer that sees the defense leaving a specific part of the field open. So, 0 great drives, 1 decent drive, 0 bad drives.

Second drive:

Incomplete pass short left (see a pattern starting?)
Batch to Sanders, deep pass. Nice pass as well, have no problem giving him credit for that. Sanders however, :doh:

Gotta this an incomplete. he was only 50%, but that was a nice pass.

Third drive:

Deep left to Brown
Short right to Wallace.
Incomplete deep middle.

That's a decent series for him, 2-3, but on that third down, he overthrew a wide open Wallace in the endzone. 0 great drives, 2 decent drives, 0 bad drives, 1 inc.

Fourth drive: (first drive of fourth quarter)
Batch short middle.
Sacked.
Pass short middle
Interception.

2-4 on pass plays, with a sack and an INT. Not good at all. 0 Great, 2 Decent, 1 Bad, 1 Inc.

Fifth drive:
short right (three yards)
Deep middle.
Short right - TD. TD made by a great play by Miller.

This is a good drive, not great, but good. Notice that he's making all of his passes on short little drop offs. That's fine, that's what a wily veteran backup QB should be doing, instead of making plays like Ben does and stretching the field time and time again with completed passes. So, 0 Great, 3 Decent, 1 Bad, 1 Inc.

Last drive:
Short right
short left
short right
short right
short left

Good drive. He made good decision on this drive. But nothing was outstanding. He simply took what was given to him, and was helped out by a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty as well (a legit. call). Nevertheless, this was a high-pressure drive and Batch responded. So I'll give him a "great" on this one. 1 great drive, 3 decent drives, 1 bad drive, 1 Inc. drive.

That's not a helluva second half in my book. That's a second half that would be expected of any starter, up to the last drive which was a very good study in smart football and leading your team to win.

I expect a "helluva second half" to include more than five deep balls - one of which was picked off, and one of which was vastly overthrown to a wide-open receiver in the middle of the endzone. So that equates to three (3) good throws more than a few yards down field.

Do you honestly expect your starters to only have three good down field throws in a half of football? ESPECIALLY against a team that's ranked 23rd in total yards against the pass and 16th in yards per attempt?

So no, "FOR A BACKUP" is exactly what I mean, because those are very good BACKUP numbers against this Ravens defense this year.

Might as well cut him before the Chargers game!

By the way did you take into account the Sanders fumble?

zulater
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Preach there's two team's out there. It's not a 7 on 7 drill. You're going to miss some plays out there. And yes the interception was ridiculously bad. But he didn't let it consume him and he came back and made the plays he needed to to help us win the game afterwards. Which is easiar said than done.

He played an exceptional second half. Not flawless, but exceptional nonetheless.

polamalubeast
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
16/20 210 yards and 17 points for the steelers offense in second half

Batch was amazing in second half

Steeldude
12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
He still needs to be let go next season. Same goes for Leftwich.

Count Steeler
12-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Leftwich needs to retire before he REALLY gets hurt.

Craic
12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Preach there's two team's out there. It's not a 7 on 7 drill. You're going to miss some plays out there. And yes the interception was ridiculously bad. But he didn't let it consume him and he came back and made the plays he needed to to help us win the game afterwards. Which is easiar said than done.

He played an exceptional second half. Not flawless, but exceptional nonetheless.

No, I don't consider checkdowns and short passes "exceptional" quarterbacking, unless your talking about a backup coming in and being a good, efficient QB, which is exactly what Batch did. Once again, 5 passes that are considered deep in an entire half, one was a INT, one was a sure TD thrown away. That is not exceptional QBing. He was efficient. He was good. He was exactly what we needed to win. He was not exceptional. A QB that can't do what Batch did last night, shouldn't be in the game.

You're hung up on the "missed plays" that I'm talking about, but missing the rest of what I'm saying. It's not just about the INT or the TD thrown away. That just helps make a larger picture of what happened. It's about the fact that he almost HAS TO throw the short ball in order to be efficient. It's about the fact that the Ravens weren't able to roll up on the left side or right side when he was consistently hitting those short passes, which means it's as much about their inability to adapt, as it is about Batch's ability to throw them.

I'm not taking away from his leadership or his ability to come back and win the game. I think I've said that consistently, and have given him a lot of credit for doing that. Your unhappy that I won't say it was a great game, period. It wasn't. It was a great game for a backup QB. It was a decent game for a reg. QB. Nothing to write home about, but a decent game if he was a starting QB in this league this year.

And yes, if you re-read my last post, I gave him an inc. on that series because that pass was a very good pass, though the previous one was an incompleted pass. I also factored that in for the 3-5.

16/20 210 yards and 17 points for the steelers offense in second half

Batch was amazing in second half

See above post, and post below. He really wasn't. Efficient, good, yep. Amazing? No.

Yep. And more to the point, picked up as a coach. I keep saying that, and really believe it.

Leftwich needs to retire before he REALLY gets hurt.
I laughed out loud. Sadly, it's true.