PDA

View Full Version : Update: Roethlisberger Won't Play Against Ravens

stillers4me
11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Ben Roethlisberger threw very little and talked even less on the first day he tossed a football with teammates since being injured 21⁄2 weeks ago.

Does his uncommon silence mean he’s simply not ready to play, even against the rival Ravens — a team the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) haven’t beaten in five tries without their franchise quarterback?

Roethlisberger’s limited practice participation Wednesday suggests his dislocated rib and shoulder-related sternoclavicular joint injuries haven’t healed enough for him to play. Roethlisberger’s light throwing ended even before some players reached the practice field............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3032932-85/roethlisberger-steelers-batch-week-ravens-practice-game-nov-season-team#ixzz2DfJZmQkV

steelerdiva
11-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Welp...we're screwed

Edman
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Sit him down.

venom
11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Heard on ESPN radio this morning that Ben is a game time decision - hmmmm

Dwinsgames
11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Ben will NOT play vs Ravens http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000103128/article/ben-roethlisberger-will-not-play-sunday-vs-ravens

polamalubeast
11-30-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-won-t-play-in-baltimore/article_547c212e-3b20-11e2-a6e4-0019bb30f31a.html

Seven
11-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Big Ben has been ruled out for this week's game against the Ravens. I think we basically all knew this already.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/steelers-rule-out-ben-roethlisberger/

Seven
11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Damnit, I just posted it too haha.

Edman
11-30-2012, 02:08 PM
That's good. It shouldn't have been a question to begin with.

Craic
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Good.

With our line as beat up as it is, and with our running game having troubles again (related, I'm sure), I really didn't want him back there, not to mention the health concerns. I'm sure his wife is breathing a sigh of relief as well.

fansince'76
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
6-6 here we come...

Edman
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
6-6 here we come...

Welp, it's just something that's gonna be dealt with.

polamalubeast
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
6-6 here we come...

same record that the giants last year!

Crow-Magnon
11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
As much as I would have preferred Ben to play, it is the right call. The Steelers need Ben much more for the stretch run and the WC then they do this Sunday.

Austin87
11-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Not good, not good at all.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2012, 03:13 PM
As much as I would have preferred Ben to play, it is the right call. The Steelers need Ben much more for the stretch run and the WC then they do this Sunday.

http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/but.gif is this not the stretch run http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/thinking.gif

Crow-Magnon
11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
It is, but it isn't. With a three-game lead in the AFCN, it is unlikely the Ravens will lose the division barring a total collapse, or major injuries to Flacco or Rice. So why risk starting an injured Ben, who could be lost until 2013 from a hard hit from Suggs or Ngata. So better to let him heal and shoot fir the 5th seed in the WC.

Because if Roethlisberger doesn't return this year, Pittsburgh's chances in the post-season aren't very promising.

st33lersguy
11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
And the steelers unofficially fall to 6-6

steeldawg
11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Well this sucks, it is the stretch run if we lose sunday that means we pretty much have to win our last 4.

Craic
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Well this sucks, it is the stretch run if we lose sunday that means we pretty much have to win our last 4.

Nope, there's a few scenarios where we only have to win the last two games of the year in order to make it into the playoffs. One scenario at least where we can only win the last two, and still make it in as the fifth seed. The scenarios aren't outlandish either. It's just how the games are calendared this year. For instance, the Colts play the Texans twice in the last three weeks. We play the Bengals (who play Baltimore the next week, not to mention San Diego this week), Baltimore plays the Broncos in the third to last game of the year. New England plays Miami this week and the last week, and they also play Houston and San Francisco.

Everyone of those teams are in the playoff hunt, and moreover, except for SF, they are all AFC teams where games affect the entire playoff standing.

steeldawg
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Nope, there's a few scenarios where we only have to win the last two games of the year in order to make it into the playoffs. One scenario at least where we can only win the last two, and still make it in as the fifth seed. The scenarios aren't outlandish either. It's just how the games are calendared this year. For instance, the Colts play the Texans twice in the last three weeks. We play the Bengals (who play Baltimore the next week, not to mention San Diego this week), Baltimore plays the Broncos in the third to last game of the year. New England plays Miami this week and the last week, and they also play Houston and San Francisco.

Everyone of those teams are in the playoff hunt, and moreover, except for SF, they are all AFC teams where games affect the entire playoff standing.

well we pretty much gotta win the 4 to controll our destiny, i understand that mathematically we can still do it but we would need help.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
well we pretty much gotta win the 4 to controll our destiny, i understand that mathematically we can still do it but we would need help.

we're going to get some help by default , many of the teams in question are having to play one another ..someone gonna win someone gonna lose .....

steeldawg
11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
we're going to get some help by default , many of the teams in question are having to play one another ..someone gonna win someone gonna lose .....

True but a 9-7 finish or an 8-8 finish will put us in a position to where we will have to scoreboard watch, were as a 10-6 finish pretty much locks up a spot for us.

Count Steeler
11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Ahh, to hell with this season. IR Ben, IR Troy, IR Adams, IR everybody that doesn't play this week. Bring in all the practice squad and give as many reps as possible to the youngest guys on the team. Sign as many guys as you can off other squads and let's see who can play football.

Next year we start with a clean slate.

43Hitman
11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Ahh, to hell with this season. IR Ben, IR Troy, IR Adams, IR everybody that doesn't play this week. Bring in all the practice squad and give as many reps as possible to the youngest guys on the team. Sign as many guys as you can off other squads and let's see who can play football.

Next year we start with a clean slate.

I would be all for this except that in my opinion it would affect the integrity of the game and the Steelers organization. Also I'm pretty sure you're not serious, you, just like myself and the Steelers are competitors and would never just lie down and die. I fully expect nothing less than 110% from the 22 that take the field in Baltimore on Sunday. Or I'm gonna be pissed. I can deal with a loss as long as the players are playing their hearts out. Nothing irks me more than lack of effort.

Count Steeler
11-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I would be all for this except that in my opinion it would affect the integrity of the game and the Steelers organization. Also I'm pretty sure you're not serious, you, just like myself and the Steelers are competitors and would never just lie down and die. I fully expect nothing less than 110% from the 22 that take the field in Baltimore on Sunday. Or I'm gonna be pissed. I can deal with a loss as long as the players are playing their hearts out. Nothing irks me more than lack of effort.

I expect a completely different team on the field this Sunday. I expect to see an effort that is worthy of the Black and Gold. Who was it? Troy or James that said you can hear the voices around the stadium of the players that have gone on before them. Well, I got a feeling those voices were none too pleased this week.

I think from Tomlin right down the line, I expect an aggressive, concerted effort to not only win the game, but to make a statement. "You don't want this in the playoffs".

zulater
11-30-2012, 08:45 PM
6-6 here we come...

Quite likely. But keep in mind that would be considered a miracle season in Cleveland! :chuckle:

43Hitman
11-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Quite likely. But keep in mind that would be considered a miracle season in Cleveland! :chuckle:

And five weeks ago we would have been happy to be at .500 considering what the team has been dealing with health wise.

SteelGhost
11-30-2012, 09:04 PM
6-6 here we come...

And 8-8 at the end of the season if Ben does not get healthy :no:

oneforthetoe
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Good.

With our line as beat up as it is, and with our running game having troubles again (related, I'm sure), I really didn't want him back there, not to mention the health concerns. I'm sure his wife is breathing a sigh of relief as well.

More likely, Ben is happy because he actually gets to sleep in the bed instead of on the couch, where he would have been had he been able to convince the powers that be he could play this week.

zulater
11-30-2012, 09:12 PM
You know what really sucks? If the defense had got their act together earliar we'd be 8-3 right now, and in little danger of missing the playoffs with or without Ben's quick return.

43Hitman
11-30-2012, 09:15 PM
You know what really sucks? If the defense had got their act together earliar we'd be 8-3 right now, and in little danger of missing the playoffs with or without Ben's quick return.

Agreed. Those Tennessee and Oakland games really left a mark.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2012, 06:21 PM
we got Mundy'd out of a couple of games ( hence why he is on the bench behind Allen )

Count Steeler
12-01-2012, 06:25 PM
we got Mundy'd out of a couple of games ( hence why he is on the bench behind Allen )

And a playoff game against the Broncos last year. Taylor improved his play when Allen came in as well. Maybe Taylor was compensating for Mundy?

Could be the reason the defense was out of sync, because Mundy would not stick to his assignment and he opened up too many holes.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
And a playoff game against the Broncos last year. Taylor improved his play when Allen came in as well. Maybe Taylor was compensating for Mundy?

Could be the reason the defense was out of sync, because Mundy would not stick to his assignment and he opened up too many holes.

I would hate to surmise without KNOWING the play calls in the def huddle but that being said it sure looks on the surface that is a strong possibility

steeldawg
12-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Im so glad they move that move early in the year ryan mundy was absolutly terrible.