PDA

View Full Version : A dozen considerations for your Steelers Draft Board

deweybeachde
11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Here is how I think the framework of the 2013 draft plays out.

1. Re sign Wallace, Franchise tag him for 1 year or draft a fast receiver within 1st 3 rounds.
Gilreath and Clemons just got picked off the PS so depth is needed. Is Sanders ready for prime time?
Cotchery has 1 more contract year. Does Plaxico take another vet minimum?

2. Resign Mendenhall or move on with Dwyer. Is Dwyer ready to be the number 1 with Redman re signing as an RFA. Rainey as the change of pace, 3rd down, guy.

3. Will Spence be the same Fast ILB after he rehabs? Foote is a UFA as well as Brandon Johnson. Also, we could use a thumper next to Timmons and Spence was supposedly backing up Timmons so I do see a 240-250 pound ILB in the first few rounds.

4. Clark is a UFA in 2014 and although he is playing beyond great, could there really be another contract for him next year. Mundy is a FA and Robert Golden made the roster as an un drafted FA. I am betting on a playmaker Safety early in the draft.

5. How many more years will Troy Polamalu play? Will Allen is also a Free Agent. Do not be shocked is another Safety gets picked in this draft.

6. Will James Harrison be a cap casualty next year? He has improved as the year went on but will the money outweigh the performance. He was underpaid for so many years so Management may just renegotiate. Will Worilds be ready to fill those big shoes? He certainly looks like it since the wrist has healed. Don't forget about the pass rushing, high motor, Adrian Robinson is waiting in the wings and Chris Carter held his own before getting injured. A developmental, bigger, OLB could be drafted on day 3.

7. Re sign Keenan Lewis. Seems like a no brainier but if his best buddy, Wallace does leave, there are no guarantees. If he walks, Cortez Allen would love more playing time as will Brown. Ike Taylor cannot play forever either. VanDyke is unknown at this point except for special teams and penalties. Drafting a day 2 corner sounds like a good idea. We like bigger corners.

8. Leonard Pope or D. Johnson will be the number 3 TE next year. Paulson is set at the 2. I am betting on re signing Johnson who is a FA. Also he gives position flexibility as a FB? He may even unseat Will Johnson as the FB. Maybe another 7th rounder or priority free agent for competition at this position.

9. Will Hampton play another year or is it finally McLendons time? Will TaAmu make amends and develop into the back up? If not, a NT will be on the draft board. I hope TaAmu gets his act together. Keisel's Ziggy Hood, and Al Wood's contracts are up next year. I think a DE will get on our draft board.

10. Are Leftwich and Batch still good back up QBs or will some new free agents be brought in? Maybe Hoyer sticks.

11. Can we still afford Foster and Legursky as back ups or will someone snag them. Will Beachum and Malecki be able to be the back ups? Ryan Lee just got picked off of our PS so worst case, depth will be needed.

12. Re sign Max Starks. Not sure the price but I hope he gives us another home town discount.

I hope we get a good compensatory pick for William Gay signing in Arizona. There is some off season work to do.

Dwinsgames
11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Wallace and Mendy are as good as gone , Hampton probably too ... Lefty or Batch ( hopefully both gone as well )

Count Steeler
11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Pope is a puzzle for me. Why is he still around. Would have better to cut him and keep Gilreath.

Dwinsgames
11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Pope is a puzzle for me. Why is he still around. Would have better to cut him and keep Gilreath.

trying to be greedy , Gilreath has PS availability , stash him away and have both if needed , your not going to carry 6 active WRs but you never know when you might need a TE if you cut Pope your down to 2 , 1 gets hurt your in trouble fielding some formations ..Pope also is used on ST whereas Gilreath is a backup there not a " starter " so to speak

deweybeachde
11-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Former Steelers WR David Gilreath signs with Tampa Bay Bucs

Wide receiver David Gilreath, who made his NFL debut in 2012 with the Pittsburgh Steelers before being released on Monday, was quickly snatched up by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who signed the rookie out of Wisconsin on Tuesday off of waivers.

Gilreath made his biggest impact during a three-week stint on the active roster because of injuries to Jerricho Cotchery and Antonio Brown. Despite not catching a pass in his three games, he did record one rush for seven yards as well as returning two punts for a combined eight yards.

During his time at Wisconsin, Gilreath was named to the All-Big Ten second team during his sophomore year in 2008. He finished his college career with 67 receptions over four years, with only one reception during his freshman year.

Gilreath was released to help make room for David DeCastro, who was welcomed back from injury, and John Malecki, who was promoted from the practice squad.

Count Steeler
11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
trying to be greedy , Gilreath has PS availability , stash him away and have both if needed , your not going to carry 6 active WRs but you never know when you might need a TE if you cut Pope your down to 2 , 1 gets hurt your in trouble fielding some formations ..Pope also is used on ST whereas Gilreath is a backup there not a " starter " so to speak

But Pope has not shown ANYTHING this year. I figure Will Johnson could fill in at TE, for an emergency.

Dwinsgames
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
But Pope has not shown ANYTHING this year. I figure Will Johnson could fill in at TE, for an emergency.

and he could , but if your going BIG formation if Johnson has to fill in at TE you then do not have a FB

Count Steeler
11-28-2012, 06:00 PM
and he could , but if your going BIG formation if Johnson has to fill in at TE you then do not have a FB

Legursky has lined up at FB in the past. Of course, that would mean that we get healthy again on the O Line.

Seven
11-29-2012, 01:43 AM

Pope is a Todd Haley favorite. No matter what he does, seems as if Pope will always have a job in this league as long as Haley does. Kept him around in Arizona and Kansas City. Hopefully that changes next year though. I want DJ back on this roster.