PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin demotes Mendenhall to third string, lists Wallace as co-starter

polamalubeast
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn't wait until his weekly news conference to send a message to a couple of players.

Running back Jonathan Dwyer has been promoted to the starter's role, while Rashard Mendenhall - who was listed as the starter even when he was hurt for three games at the start of the season - has been demoted to No. 3 behind Isaac Redman.

Mendenhall fumbled twice during the Steelers' 13-10 loss Sunday in Cleveland in which all four running backs who played, including Chris Rainey, put the ball on the ground at least once during an eight-turnover game.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace, limited to one catch against the Browns, is now listed as a co-starter with Emmanuel Sanders - a designation the Steelers almost never use. Wallace has been listed as the starter all season, even when he was holding out during training camp.

Colleges and high schools regularly list multiple players as starters at the same position, but NFL teams almost never do.

Tomlin was visibly upset afterward with only the second Steelers loss to Cleveland in 18 games and players spent extra time at the team's practice facility on Monday, when they usually watch the previous day's game tape.

Read more: http://triblive.com/home/3032370-74/starter-steelers-listed-players-mendenhall-tomlin-wallace-cleveland-game-games?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz2DRavcAux
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

st33lersguy
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Momlin needs to put Wallace on the bench

Edman
11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
This is Mendenhall's last season in Pittsburgh, and Mike Wallace has played himself out as well.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing either of them next year. We got some production out of them, but they're not "it" players. Massively talented but they don't have the brains to be truly great players.

Craic
11-27-2012, 11:40 AM

I know there's a whole "let's take sides and have a civil war over derogative nicknames" going on here, but "Momlin" doesn't even make sense.

Dwinsgames
11-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I know there's a whole "let's take sides and have a civil war over derogative nicknames" going on here, but "Momlin" doesn't even make sense.

http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/genius.gif

86WARD
11-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Good.

steelreserve
11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
A swift kick in the butt is exactly what those guys need. Too bad it probably won't work - Wallace because his mind is already in Dallas or Washington, and Mendenhall because let's face it, he made a hell of an effort to get back on the field, but I don't think he's completely recovered.

Seven
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
"Momlin" needs to be put into the forum's curse word filter...

fansince'76
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM

I assume it's an allusion to Tomlin's reputation as a "player's coach," which brings out his "mothering" instincts and trying to be a "buddy" to the players to the detriment of the team?

From my understanding, it apparently originated as some blogger's attempt to be "clever."

And on that note, EPIC FAIL.

steelpride12
11-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Remember when "Momlin" was old the first 1,000 times you posted it?!

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
i was about to say "There goes the Momlin moniker" but i guess some people never grow up...

Steeldude
11-27-2012, 12:26 PM
This is Mendenhall's last season in Pittsburgh, and Mike Wallace has played himself out as well.

And that's a good thing

GBMelBlount
11-27-2012, 12:29 PM

What the **** are you talking about? There is not one single ******* filter on this site. :grin:

Anyway, it actually irritates me that Tomlin does not rule with an iron fist more often.

A little fire and brimstone and tension CAN be a good thing.

Count Steeler
11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
I have to wonder if there was a closed door meeting with Art and Mike, Sunday night or Monday morning. It's about time some players get shaken up.

ALLD
11-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I say we try not to look too stupid and prepare for next season. This one is over.

Moose
11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Atta way Tomlin !! It's a start anyway. Now, call in a short bus and put Mendy, Wallace, Batch, Lefty on it....saving a seat possibly for Redman and Plexico. Anyone who DIDN'T step up when our franchise man went down....cya !! I think it's definitely 'reloading' time.

BnG_Hevn
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Yes, I agree. Although I don't have that filter turned on so how about just replace it with Tomlin.

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
must have been difficult to make the final decision to bench a first round pick that was supposed to be the feature back for years for the organization. Sending a message to Wallace is a good thing as well. If you don't go 100%, don't bother showing up.

STOP BEING LAZY! that's for the entire offense.

Moose
11-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Hopefully while Wallace is sitting on that bench he will be thinking of his stats going down.....along with his DOLLAR SIGN WORTH !!

Pristas
11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
What the **** are you talking about? There is not one single ******* filter on this site. :grin:

Anyway, it actually irritates me that Tomlin does not rule with an iron fist more often.

A little fire and brimstone and tension CAN be a good thing.

I agree, it is definitely time to unleash...

:behindsofa:

tube517
11-27-2012, 04:12 PM

:buttkick: :chuckle:

Count Steeler
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Hell can't be much uglier than what was on display last week in Cleveland.

zulater
11-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I say we try not to look too stupid and prepare for next season. This one is over.

I find that to be more offensive than the "Momlin" thing. If Ben returns in time for the chargers game we got a damn good chance to make it as a Wild Card team. And recent history shows us that getting hot in December can mean more than a high seeding once the playoffs start.

steeldawg
11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Hopefully while Wallace is sitting on that bench he will be thinking of his stats going down.....along with his DOLLAR SIGN WORTH !!

except wallace wont be on the bench they just assigned a meaningless title to him, he still is going to be on the field in the same role.

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin should be pointing the finger at him self for poor preperationand not having the right personnel in place to make the team successful.

Dwinsgames
11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
At some point regardless if the Coaches did their job at getting the team ready to play or not .....

Players have to take pride in the amount of effort they put forth in the football game , if the player has no pride in his accomplishments or lack thereof no amount of coaching will make him play better ...

these guys are professionals they should not need motivation to do their jobs , that is what the next contract is a motivational tool .... a coach can yell scream and holler rah rah rah shit in your ear all day but that changes nothing if you lack your own personal standards as a player ....

sometimes a good long look in the mirror works better than any amount of yelling , screaming , hollering .....

Mirror time is this week when the players are forced to watch the tape we all watched on Sunday ..... I think some guys come out of the tunnel this coming Sunday with something to prove not just to themselves but us the fans the most vocal of critics ....

Its not always about how badly you play in a loss but how well your able to respond to it http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/drinks.gif

43Hitman
11-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Its not always about how badly you play in a loss but how well your able to respond to it http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/drinks.gif

Agree completely. Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

steeldawg
11-27-2012, 06:13 PM
At some point regardless if the Coaches did their job at getting the team ready to play or not .....

Players have to take pride in the amount of effort they put forth in the football game , if the player has no pride in his accomplishments or lack thereof no amount of coaching will make him play better ...

these guys are professionals they should not need motivation to do their jobs , that is what the next contract is a motivational tool .... a coach can yell scream and holler rah rah rah shit in your ear all day but that changes nothing if you lack your own personal standards as a player ....

sometimes a good long look in the mirror works better than any amount of yelling , screaming , hollering .....

Mirror time is this week when the players are forced to watch the tape we all watched on Sunday ..... I think some guys come out of the tunnel this coming Sunday with something to prove not just to themselves but us the fans the most vocal of critics ....

Im not talking about motivation, Im talking about the proper reps at the proper speed for the proper personnel. our running backs looked suprised when they got hit on sunday, that comes from not being prepared and not having players going hard in practice ,it carries over to the game.

Dwinsgames
11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Im not talking about motivation, Im talking about the proper reps at the proper speed for the proper personnel. our running backs looked suprised when they got hit on sunday, that comes from not being prepared and not having players going hard in practice ,it carries over to the game.

the league mandates how many padded practices a team can have during the season , you will have to take that beef up with the NLFPA not Tomlin and his staff

Pristas
11-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Hell can't be much uglier than what was on display last week in Cleveland.

Right? It's like you go to hell, Satan asks you if you're a Steelers fan, then opens up a special room for you. You walk in and that game is on every TV, on repeat, for all eternity. But there is a beer tap in the corner of the room, except when you go to get one, all that pours out is warm Busch beer.

86WARD
11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I find that to be more offensive than the "Momlin" thing. If Ben returns in time for the chargers game we got a damn good chance to make it as a Wild Card team. And recent history shows us that getting hot in December can mean more than a high seeding once the playoffs start.

Agree...and it's not so much this weeks game either...10-6 is going to be the key...

smokin3000gt
11-27-2012, 07:19 PM

good one! :rolleyes:

zulater
11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Agree...and it's not so much this weeks game either...10-6 is going to be the key...

I'd wager 9-7 will make it in in the AFC. With a season sweep over the Bengals we'll get in. If we're 9-7 and one of our remaining losses is to the Bengals they'll beat us in the tiebreaker due to a better in conference record.

steeldawg
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I'd wager 9-7 will make it in in the AFC. With a season sweep over the Bengals we'll get in. If we're 9-7 and one of our remaining losses is to the Bengals they'll beat us in the tiebreaker due to a better in conference record.

how quickly the season has turned, 2 weeks ago we were talking about winning our division, now we are talking 9-7.

zulater
11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
how quickly the season has turned, 2 weeks ago we were talking about winning our division, now we are talking 9-7.

That's what happens when you lose your best player for a few games. I have little doubt we'd be 8-3 if Ben had played the last two games.

86WARD
11-27-2012, 08:01 PM

10-6 and there is no question. A win over the Bengals gives them the head-to-head. A win over the more or less Chargers eliminates San Diego in case they go on a run. Dallas gives them a perfect Non-Conference record...probably won't matter and they definitely need the win over the Browns to boost the conference record to 6-5. A team like Miami (unlikely - but stranger shit has happened) could sneak in there and win on a tie breaker...

But I think you're right...9-7 could get in, I'd rather see 10-6 and there be no questions.

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
10-6 and there is no question. A win over the Bengals gives them the head-to-head. A win over the more or less Chargers eliminates San Diego in case they go on a run. Dallas gives them a perfect Non-Conference record...probably won't matter and they definitely need the win over the Browns to boost the conference record to 6-5. A team like Miami (unlikely - but stranger shit has happened) could sneak in there and win on a tie breaker...

But I think you're right...9-7 could get in, I'd rather see 10-6 and there be no questions.

hell, even at 10-6 there might be questions. crazier shit has happened

zulater
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
hell, even at 10-6 there might be questions. crazier shit has happened

No way in hell 10-6 misses in the AFC this year. NFC, possibly.

Heinz Hitman
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Benching of Mendenhall was long overdue, IMO. Have not been a fan of his for the last couple years. Seems he just doesn't get it. And a running back seemingly afraid of contact does not fit Steelers style of football. Be glad to see him gone next season - along with Wallace. He is just plain lazy. He goes for it on the long ball, but gives 50% effort on everything else. Bum.

Dwinsgames
11-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Benching of Mendenhall was long overdue, IMO. Have not been a fan of his for the last couple years. Seems he just doesn't get it. And a running back seemingly afraid of contact does not fit Steelers style of football. Be glad to see him gone next season - along with Wallace. He is just plain lazy. He goes for it on the long ball, but gives 50% effort on everything else. Bum.

us old timers from that other forum have to stick together , welcome aboard bro

5 of us here now http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/pimp.gif

Heinz Hitman
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Yes sir. Couldn't let you have all of the fun...:ball:

steelreserve
11-28-2012, 12:12 AM

Come to think of it, I guess it should've been obvious it was more than coincidence when a bunch of new people all showed up at once with interesting things to say. If you don't mind my asking, what happened? Not meaning to pry, just curious since this site also got its start as a lifeboat when another forum blew up.

In any case, welcome, and hope you're liking it so far! :drink:

Craic
11-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Come to think of it, I guess it should've been obvious it was more than coincidence when a bunch of new people all showed up at once with interesting things to say. If you don't mind my asking, what happened? Not meaning to pry, just curious since this site also got its start as a lifeboat when another forum blew up.

In any case, welcome, and hope you're liking it so far! :drink:

Or an even better idea, head over to the welcome wagon and introduce yourselves, and tell us your story over there.

steelreserve
11-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Or an even better idea, head over to the welcome wagon and introduce yourselves, and tell us your story over there.

Heh, I guess most of the story was already told over there if I'd thought to look. Well, I'm a dickhead.

steelerrob
11-28-2012, 01:33 AM
He is just plain lazy. He goes for it on the long ball, but gives 50% effort on everything else. Bum.

Yup. And did anybody notice, I think it was on the last-but-one play of the Browns game, that Wallace had his back to Batch in the huddle like he'd just given up? Batch had to tap his shoulder to get his attention.

Seven
11-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Yup. And did anybody notice, I think it was on the last-but-one play of the Browns game, that Wallace had his back to Batch in the huddle like he'd just given up? Batch had to tap his shoulder to get his attention.

I didn't see that but have heard a number of people mention it now. Unacceptable.

Craic
11-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Heh, I guess most of the story was already told over there if I'd thought to look. Well, I'm a dickhead.
I looked and didn't see it... ?? hmm.

steelreserve
11-28-2012, 02:26 AM
I looked and didn't see it... ?? hmm.

This was what I thought was it:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15537-new-to-this-forum?p=337422#post337422

of course, it could just be because I was drunk. Still am, by the way. How are you?

GBMelBlount
11-28-2012, 06:36 AM

While individual responsibility is very important it does not diminish the importance of great leadership.

Whether in the trenches of warfare, in business or on a professional football field a great leader can make the difference between winning and losing.

A great coach also makes sure his players take that long look in their mirror.

Tomlin may be a good coach but I am not convinced he is a great leader.

However I liked what i saw this week....

Austin87
11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Heyward and McLendon should be promoted to starters IMO, Casey and especially Hood has been struggling so far this season. I just want to see what McLendon can do.

Moose
11-28-2012, 09:52 AM

EXCELLENT !!

GodfatherofSoul
11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Mendy is a wasted-potential story to me. Seems like every time it looked he finally got it figured out, he got hurt. Now, he's regressed with the fumbling again. Probably time to shelf this experiment.

BlastFurnace
11-28-2012, 10:56 AM

What board did you come from?

zulater
11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
What board did you come from?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15537-new-to-this-forum

tube517
11-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Running backs coach Kirby Wilson’s reaction to the five fumbles in Cleveland? Beyond anger. “Oh man, he was (ticked),” running back Isaac Redman said. “After (Jonathan) Dwyer’s fumble, Kirby was all out of energy. He just came to the sideline (and said), ‘Y’all going to make me go with (Chris) Rainey! I’m going to do it! I’m not scared to do it! I’m going to do it!’” Rainey indeed went into the game — and fumbled twice as a receiver.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3032963-85/games-backup-think-brown-really-wallace-isn-fumbles-hoyer-mendenhall#ixzz2Dcg1dgxf
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Heinz Hitman
11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Long overdue sending Mendy to the bench. Every fantasy football team in the land sent him to the waiver wire a month ago - ahead of the curve! lol