PDA

View Full Version : Putting Steelers' Injuries in Perspective

GBMelBlount
11-25-2012, 08:40 PM
It seems to me that we have a LOT of injuries EVERY year.

However I do not watch other teams closely enough to REALLY put it in perspective.

So how much worse have our injury problems been compared to most other teams the last several years?

It gets old.

Dwinsgames
11-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I think it all depends who you look at and when ... example the packers a few years back had like 10 starters ( could be off a little but it was a high number not going to go look it up ) on IR and won the SB against us ....

Last year the chief where down 4 starters to IR almost out of the gate and it cost Haley his Job .....

The Cardinals now can not seem to get a healthy QB for more than 1 week at a time and have been banged up at RB too

The Lions can not seem to get healthy in the secondary all season and lost their starting RB for the season to a concussion that happened LAST year ......

The Ravens secondary has been decimated with injury as well as Ray Lewis for the year and Suggs for quite a spell Ngatta and Ed Reed have been banged up too

the lsit goes on and on and different years it is different teams for the most part ...

I get what your saying though it seems we can never seem to get Harrison and Woodley on the field at the same time for very long , Troy has been the definition of the injury list the past few years and we always seem to have at the very least one O-lineman down but giving it a moment to think most teams go through this sort of thing ... its all in how you deal with it I guess

Count Steeler
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, different teams in different years, but it seems like we've had a pretty bad run. Especially where the O Line is concerned, and thus Ben. Last year we led the league with the most O Line combinations. It sure was nice when we had 4-5 games with the same guys on the O Line. Today is was back to normal. Colon is a big asset inside, especially for the run game.

polamalubeast
11-25-2012, 09:04 PM
The packers have the same problem....same for the giants....But Rodgers and Eli are heathly.....

steelerdude15
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
The amount of injuries this team has had to deal with is getting old. Year in and year out, so many people are getting hurt. Some of it is bad luck, but I bet that some of it has to deal with the conditioning. I don't remember this being such an issue when Cowher was head coach. The reason why I bring it up is because when Tomlin was hired, he hired a new conditioning coach and we've had the same guy ever since. I think he needs to go.

Dwinsgames
11-25-2012, 10:19 PM
The amount of injuries this team has had to deal with is getting old. Year in and year out, so many people are getting hurt. Some of it is bad luck, but I bet that some of it has to deal with the conditioning. I don't remember this being such an issue when Cowher was head coach. The reason why I bring it up is because when Tomlin was hired, he hired a new conditioning coach and we've had the same guy ever since. I think he needs to go.

its football , injuries happen ...

Hell Gilbert took out 2 lineman himself by rolling up on them no amount of conditioning in the world changes those facts , its a violent sport played by Giants of men that run faster than the average man and weigh on average twice as much ... run into a wall ( some of those guys are built tougher than your house ) do that 45 times in 3 hours taking a couple min break between collisions with the wall ... see if your up for the challenge next week again at this time ...odds are you wont be and that is no reflection of the amount of conditioning you have or have not been a part of its just reality the human body is not made to do the sort of things these players do week in and week out

as a side note... do not lead with your head or Goodell will make sure you get fined !!

Edman
11-26-2012, 12:15 AM
The packers have the same problem....same for the giants....But Rodgers and Eli are heathly.....

And that's why the G-Men and Pack are still weathering the storm.

The Steelers are without what is clearly their best player.

tube517
11-26-2012, 06:33 AM
As long as we have Marcus Gilbert, the IR list will be long.

GBMelBlount
11-26-2012, 07:20 AM

LOL!

It is true though.

You can't relax and start sipping Chardonnay before the play is over and not expect someone to knock you on your ass.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Will Gilbert be back this week?

If so, I bet Ramon Foster takes out an additional injury policy.

Count Steeler
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM

Hey now, Colon and Adams got injured with out Steamroller.

Psycho Ward 86
11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Well for us its also because the injuries hit detrimentally important players. Like troy. And even worse this season because you-know-who is out

Dwinsgames
11-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Gilbert to IR , that ends that scenario

Godfather
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a conditioning issue. We lost DeCastro and Spence in the preseason. They were both rookies...so it wasn't the conditioning unless Stanford and Miami both had terrible conditioning coaches. We also had Adams stay down after a play yesterday. Last year Baron Batch got hurt in the preseason.

As far as the established stars, Ben and Troy get hurt a lot because of the way they play.