PDA

View Full Version : Colts Interim Coach Bruce Arians Thankful Steelers Let Him Go

86WARD
11-21-2012, 07:31 PM
It's that time of year when players and coaches are asked what they are thankful for. The standard response is children, wives or the opportunity to play in the NFL but Colts interim coach Bruce Arians delivered a response that has drawn a lot of attention.

“Oh gosh. I’m thankful for the Pittsburgh Steelers letting me go to be here," he said. "Truthfully, I couldn’t think of a better place to be at this point in time and to have felt more needed probably in my entire life. So, thank you, Pittsburgh.”

Arians' run with the Steelers didn't end well at the end of last season. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin originally announced that Arians was retiring. A few days later, Arians revealed that his contract wasn't renewed.

Source: ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59621/arians-thankful-steelers-let-him-go)

Chidi29
11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm happy for him. Glad he found a place he really likes.

Count Steeler
11-21-2012, 07:39 PM
There goes Hensley stirring the pot again.

Seems to me Rooney helped a lot of people with his decision to not renew Arians. I remember when Bruce got to Indy and he was absolutely gushing to be back in Indy. We are the beneficiaries of a different OC, and although the offense has not hit full stride as yet, the upside potential is there.

Ben is perhaps the greatest benefactor, having a great year (up to his injury).

NCSteeler
11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Happy for him, but obviously he still harbors ill feelings as he felt the need to take a swipe at the Burgh

salamander
11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Things worked out for Bruce and I think things worked out pretty damn well for the Steelers by hiring Haley. Everyone's happy. :chuckle:

SteelGhost
11-21-2012, 09:32 PM
This thread belongs to the NFL board :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
F him. Most Steeler fans are happy that he's gone too.

Craic
11-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow we're touchy here.

let's see. A guy leaves a place where he's the OC, and regardless of whether he was liked or not, he goes to a place where he is able to showcase his headcoaching abilities in a tough situation, with a rookie QB. Because he's done it right, the city and the team love him.

What else could he say? I'm thankful the Steelers let me go. Yep, that's about it, because if they didn't, he wouldn't have been in the position he was in now.

If someone has audio and his tone shows that it was a snide remark, then fine. But reading it as if he's purposefully taking swipes at the Steelers . . . meh, not for me.

I do however, think the author of the story likes taking swipes at the Steelers, or at least at the OC's.

The Steelers parted ways with Arians because they were disappointed in the direction of the offense. In Arians' last three seasons, the Steelers ranked 12th in scoring in 2009 and 2010 and fell to 21st in 2011. In their first season with new coordinator Todd Haley, the Steelers rank 19th in scoring.

GoSlash27
11-22-2012, 05:24 AM
I wish Arians well. The HC job requires different skills than a coordinator. I hope he finds success in Indy... just not against us :D

86WARD
11-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Meh... He's butt hurt. At the time I guarantee you he wasn't thinking that. I could only imagine if a player made this comment...lol...he'd be enemy #1.

X-Terminator
11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
For all of the kudos that Haley has been getting...the scoring offense hasn't improved its ranking very much and have only scored a PPG more than last season. Any "fire Haley" calls yet?

salamander
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
For all of the kudos that Haley has been getting...the scoring offense hasn't improved its ranking very much and have only scored a PPG more than last season. Any "fire Haley" calls yet?

Maybe it's the fact that Haley actually uses a fullback. That must be it. :heh:

GBMelBlount
11-22-2012, 12:40 PM

It's only the first 1/2 season with a brand new offensive coordinator and a brand new playbook and we have still seen improvements in ball control, time of possession, 3rd down conversiona and fewer sacks.

So while we may not be scoring 30 points per game after 8 games I see A LOT of improvement in a lot of areas.

But you are right, scoring still is not where it should be.

Regardless, I would think you would be glad that people are not rushing to judgement after only 8 games.

X-Terminator
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
It's the first 1/2 season with a brand new offensive coordinator and a brand new play book and they outperformed Arians offense by 3 ppg with far fewer sacks until ben was injured.

I have also been very pleased with the ball control and 3rd down conversions as well.

So while we may not be scoring 30 points per game after 8 games I see A LOT of improvement in a lot of areas.

Regardless, I would think you would be glad that people are not rushing to judgement after only 8 games.

Trust me, I am happy people aren't rushing to judgment. But facts are facts, and for all the talk of this "high-flying" offense and the automatic assumption that Haley would turn the team into an offensive juggernaut, the results simply aren't there. Yes, injuries have had a lot to do with that, but injuries also were a problem the past 5 seasons, but nobody wanted to hear of it. And even if everyone stayed healthy, no one should have expected this offense to turn into the Saints' offense right off the bat. It wasn't going to happen.

BTW, you should have stuck with the first version of your post. :thumbsup:

zulater
11-22-2012, 01:08 PM
It's only the first 1/2 season with a brand new offensive coordinator and a brand new playbook and we have still seen improvements in ball control, time of possession, 3rd down conversiona and fewer sacks.

Also our point total is skewed a little by the fact that to this point we haven't scored a single point from outside of our offense. Never before in recent Steelers history have we gone 10 games into a season without scoring a single point on defense or by special teams.

Steeldude
11-22-2012, 01:27 PM
No, it's Pittsburgh that's happy

st33lersguy
11-22-2012, 01:30 PM
A lot of Steeler fans are happy that idiot is out of Pittsburgh. I think that record has more to do with players playing inspired for their head coach than it is actual coaching skill from Arians

GoSlash27
11-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Not from me. It's enough for me that I can't predict what the next play is gonna be before the ball is snapped. Arians had no creativity.
AFAIC he wasn't a very good OC, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good HC.

bayz101
11-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Sorry, but i'm glad they fired you as well, Bruce.

Moose
11-23-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm glad for Bruce. It's great at his time in life to be happy with what your doing job-wise. Hope things continue to work out, and Bruce just remember, it's the experience at Pittsburgh that is giving you the ability to do what you're doing in Indy.

Butch
11-23-2012, 02:15 PM
For me it was a glorious day when they dropped the axe on Bruce.

As for Haley the day may come when we call for his head as well but 8 games is still way to early to tell much about the guy. Give it time X-terminator let it run it's course and if and when it comes I'm sure you will be prepared.