PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin and Coaching comments go here

Pristas
11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I thought since there have been a lot of questions or concerns over the coaching staff of late, it would be an interesting idea to begin compiling the problems we see from a fan's perspective of the coaching staff, especially head coaching issues. So, without further ado, start listing them, field goal attempts, little red flags, lack of preparedness, putting one guy in front of the better guy, etc...

Let's keep this less of a debate over decisions, and more about the "questionable decisions" themselves.

Additionally, if you have any praises, by all means post it up. Things like "Lake's secondary has been amazing" have a place here as well.

This thread is simply to bring to light the full body of work from the coaches as we see it this season.

86WARD
11-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Fake FG against the Giants. Questionable.

bayz101
11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Fake FG against the Giants. Questionable.

If that would have resulted in a touchdown, he'd be coach of the year. That's the thing about being a coach, I guess.

86WARD
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Or he could've just run it with a back?!? No?

86WARD
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Letting 20 seconds run off the clock against the Ravens before deciding to take a TO.

Steeldude
11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Hampton starting over Mclendon.

Limited playing time for Heyward.

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Keeping Mendenhall knowing he would be a health liability going into the season when the team was clearly in cap hell and they could have saved over 2.3 million in cap space by letting him go ...

same could be said of Hampton whom would have saved the Steelers 5.89 million in cap space if cut prior to final cut downs ....

this is a complaint against Tomlin and Colbert IMO assuming they have equal say on the final roster .....

I know many will say But Hampton is the starting NT and still holds that Job and to those who do I say McClendon has clearly out played him and is not getting on the field because of the financial investment they have in Big Snack and also that Big Snack is playing based on prior reputation ....

steelpride12
11-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Fire Tomlin and Fire Lebeau and blame Bruce Arians. Done. :chuckle:

bayz101
11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Or he could've just run it with a back?!? No?

"Run it three times". Arians tried that at the goal line, and failed. Hard.

fansince'76
11-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Fire Tomlin and Fire Lebeau and blame Bruce Arians. Done. :chuckle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

salamander
11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Keeping an injured, ineffective Leftwich in the game against the Ravens. Batch couldn't have been THAT much worse coming off the bench cold.

pepsyman1
11-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Keeping an injured, ineffective Leftwich in the game against the Ravens. Batch couldn't have been THAT much worse coming off the bench cold.

Hell, I wouldn't have been much worse at that point. Lmao

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Hell, I wouldn't have been much worse at that point. Lmao

I think I would have been better , because I know I can still throw the ball fairly accurate 45 yards and Lefty couldnt do that at 30 yards that being said ...... you get the point

that's not to say they would not have picked me off though lol

86WARD
11-21-2012, 06:51 PM
"Run it three times". Arians tried that at the goal line, and failed. Hard.

Not Haley. Haley would
Succeed!

Shoes
11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I mentioned this before.....and that is Mikes loyalty to play his vets when there seemed to be better options. Gary rightly pointed out that Cowher also did this. I sometimes think this is so because there isn't much age difference between him and the vets. It will be interesting to see how he develops as he gets older and the players get younger. Other than that, I really like Tomlin's coaching...much better than Cowher.

Maybe a new strength and conditioning program....with new personal to introduce it.

NCSteeler
11-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I will say this I questioned the choice of starting Hampton, but his play is showing up the last few weeks. Possibly playing into shape again

salamander
11-21-2012, 09:12 PM
I will say this I questioned the choice of starting Hampton, but his play is showing up the last few weeks. Possibly playing into shape again

I agree... I've seen Hampton make some plays recently that I didn't think he was still capable of.

tube517
11-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I mentioned this before.....and that is Mikes loyalty to play his vets when there seemed to be better options. Gary rightly pointed out that Cowher also did this. I sometimes think this is so because there isn't much age difference between him and the vets. It will be interesting to see how he develops as he gets older and the players get younger. Other than that, I really like Tomlin's coaching...much better than Cowher.

Maybe a new strength and conditioning program....with new personal to introduce it.

Even Noll did this in '80 and '81. He was playing the older DL guys and finally succumbed to age/injuries in '82 and revamped to a 3-4 scheme and had a whole new DL.

SteelGhost
11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Keeping Batch AND Leftwich for a loooooong time and not bringing some young blood for the backup QB position (Dennis Dixon doesn't count, lol)

st33lersguy
11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Not having the guts to bench players who under perform and play like crap? Sticking with Hampton and Hood while better players such as McClendon and Heyward rot the bench. Why the hell was Leftwich not pulled? About 30 head coaches in the NFL would have pulled Leftwich in that situation. Not doing anything to address the specially terrible teams and the fact that every punt return that exceeds 10 yards is called back on a hold.

Psycho Ward 86
11-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Keeping Mendenhall knowing he would be a health liability going into the season when the team was clearly in cap hell and they could have saved over 2.3 million in cap space by letting him go ...

same could be said of Hampton whom would have saved the Steelers 5.89 million in cap space if cut prior to final cut downs ....

this is a complaint against Tomlin and Colbert IMO assuming they have equal say on the final roster .....

I know many will say But Hampton is the starting NT and still holds that Job and to those who do I say McClendon has clearly out played him and is not getting on the field because of the financial investment they have in Big Snack and also that Big Snack is playing based on prior reputation ....

lol those are all hind sight speculations. like anyone knew redman and dwyer would be playing this well before the season started? And true we couldve saved a lot of cap space by cutting Hampton, but then who's backing up Mclendon? It's not Ziggy Hood, he's been struggling mightily just as a DE, and at only 300lb, wouldve done even worse as a nose tackle. And Ta'amu? No one can say he's a capable fill in because he hasnt even dressed for a single game.

Seven
11-23-2012, 12:07 AM
The more I've thought about it over the last few days the more I have come to the conclusion that failure to replace Leftwich with Batch cost us the game. I watched the game again tonight and the Ravens defense really left a lot to be desired in pass protection and, although he made a couple nice throws, Lefty just did not take advantage - either due to injury or simply poor play, I don't know.

zulater
11-23-2012, 10:57 AM
The more I've thought about it over the last few days the more I have come to the conclusion that failure to replace Leftwich with Batch cost us the game. I watched the game again tonight and the Ravens defense really left a lot to be desired in pass protection and, although he made a couple nice throws, Lefty just did not take advantage - either due to injury or simply poor play, I don't know.

Yep. I knew long before the final gun that Leftwich gave us little chance to score again or sustain any sort of offensive drive.

Against a much better Raven defense in 2010 Batch led two sustained touchdown drives.

I know the naysayers will say that was then this is now. But we basically saw the same Batch last December against the Rams, and the same guy this preseason. Junkballers like Batch can sustain the same level of performance for a long time. I fully expect we'll get the same Charlie against the Browns that we did last year and the year before.

And if that turns out to be true it absolutely screams that Tomlin made the wrong call starting Leftwich over Batch, and worse yet keeping him in him after he was obviously impaired due to injury. Of course the company line would still have you believe that Leftwich's play wasn't impacted by injury, like we're all idiots!

Psycho Ward 86
11-23-2012, 11:43 AM

especially those 2 long passes to miller and cotchery that got popped out. batch has a good enough arm to make those throws and make them faster. those throws were kind of late. oh well the past is the past

cold-hard-steel
11-23-2012, 12:03 PM
You can't coach how much faster the ball is gonna be released by Batch this sunday. It's up to the recievers to make the adjustment.One,two,catch it.Tomlin should have already had Batch as the starter.

Pristas
11-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Wow, anyone care to update this thread? It may take a while to write it all...

I need to change my avatard.

Moose
11-26-2012, 09:13 AM
1- Why didn't the FO get a young QB year's ago to start training for the future back up to Ben.....instead the organization keeps a stone age Batch, and a made of glass Lefty ? Neither are decent back ups.
2- Why did they bring back Plexico ?
3- When can they get rid of, and what can they get for Mendy ?
4- Why is our team hit with so many injuries ? What's going on with our training and conditioning techniques ?

BlastFurnace
11-26-2012, 09:15 AM
If that would have resulted in a touchdown, he'd be coach of the year. That's the thing about being a coach, I guess.

It didn't. It was a dumb call. If Batch could throw a baseball through a wet string of toilet paper, we win yesterday. If's don't matter.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2012, 09:20 AM
1. If players can't play, such as Troy and DeCastro, put them on the IR and get some players in here who can help. I don't care if Troy is an Icon, having him on the sideline in sweats and taking up a roster spot for over half the season has hurt the team. Put him on IR and be done with it. This team has made this mistake in the past and didn't learn from it.
2. Why is Ryan Mundy on the roster?
3. Quit playing musical chairs with the running backs. Let Dwyer start and spell him with Redman.

zulater
11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
1. If players can't play, such as Troy and DeCastro, put them on the IR and get some players in here who can help. I don't care if Troy is an Icon, having him on the sideline in sweats and taking up a roster spot for over half the season has hurt the team. Put him on IR and be done with it. This team has made this mistake in the past and didn't learn from it.
2. Why is Ryan Mundy on the roster?
3. Quit playing musical chairs with the running backs. Let Dwyer start and spell him with Redman.

3 for 3. I agree!