PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon reportedly says no to Steelers, who continue hunting for quarterbacks

vader29
11-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Jason La Canfora notes that the Steelers have spoken with former quarterback Dennis Dixon about rejoining the team, but he would rather stay on the Ravens' practice squad.

That's odd, of course, since practice squad players don't make much, and the Steelers' quarterback situation could well create an opportunity. Both Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich are hurt, leaving the Steelers with only Charlie Batch.

Read more: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/11/20/3670352/dennis-dixon-steelers-mike-kafka-brian-hoyer

Pristas
11-20-2012, 08:02 AM
He just got paid $1.5M to stay on the Ratbird's practice squad. No need to give away secrets. Ha!

tube517
11-20-2012, 08:42 AM
He's useless anyways.

bayz101
11-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Why the hell we're we looking at him over Johnson? Jerrod's just as quick, the same height as Ben AND he can throw the ball with strength and accuracy.

Edman
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Because Jerrod Johnson is in the UFL, I heard. That boat has sailed.

tube517
11-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Because Jerrod Johnson is in the UFL, I heard. That boat has sailed.

He WAS in the UFL. Their season was cancelled.

86WARD
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
You don't know that they didn't contact Johnson. Thank the Good Lord that Dixon said no...it makes no sense anyway considering he has zero knowledge of the play book and is pretty much a piss poor QB .

NJarhead
11-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Pffft. As Ed Reed would say, this could be a "blessing in da sky." haha

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 09:56 AM
to be honest who could blame him , he knows he has no future in Pittsburgh he has seen it all before , stuck behind Ben and 2 old vets whereas in Balt. he has just Flacco and a never has been between him and the starting job ...if given the choice would you go see a movie that you already seen over 1 you have only watched part of and have no clue how it ends ?

86WARD
11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Plus at the moment, he's got a better chance to win a ring with Baltimore than in Pittsburgh...where it could depend oh his play...lol.

Seven
11-20-2012, 10:43 PM
He WAS in the UFL. Their season was cancelled.

I've been hearing all day the team did contact Johnson and even though the UFL isn't playing right now he's still under contract with no built in clause to leave for another gig. I think all UFL guys are stuck in this situation right now.

steeldawg
11-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Im a little suprised, most qbs would jump at a chance to showcase their skills on the field. This just tells me dixon doesnt really want to play ball, hes content with collecting a check and running a practice team no pressure.

GBMelBlount
11-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Glad Dixon is staying in Baltimore & sorry to hear if it is indeed the case that Johnson is unavailable.

Regardless I am happy with the Hoyer & Burress signings.

I had hoped we might sign Burress before the season but understood (by SU posts) why we didn't...and at that point it was not a big deal.

Now it is a bit of a necessity imo.

Amazing how much things can change in a matter of a week or two...

katmandu
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
I've been hearing all day the team did contact Johnson and even though the UFL isn't playing right now he's still under contract with no built in clause to leave for another gig. I think all UFL guys are stuck in this situation right now.What would it cost the Steelers to break his UFL Contract ?

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
What would it cost the Steelers to break his UFL Contract ?

I could be wrong but I do not think the Steelers are permitted to get involved with another teams contracted players deal , the player would have to first void the contract especially after the trade deadline has passed in the NFL ... again I could be wrong

Dodt
11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
What would it cost the Steelers to break his UFL Contract ?

$1000 and a case of mountain dew

tube517
11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
I've been hearing all day the team did contact Johnson and even though the UFL isn't playing right now he's still under contract with no built in clause to leave for another gig. I think all UFL guys are stuck in this situation right now.

Oh I thought they had some type of "agreement"/ compensation with the NFL. That sucks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

fansince'76
11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Im a little suprised, most qbs would jump at a chance to showcase their skills on the field. This just tells me dixon doesnt really want to play ball, hes content with collecting a check and running a practice team no pressure.

Easy money. Almost six grand a week for a practice squadder.

Craic
11-21-2012, 01:46 PM

true, but I think this situation is a little different. If Dixon came and played a game for us, you know he'd give the plays away to us as well. Then, once Ben is healthy, what are the chances he gets a job back in Baltimore? I think this is about him WANTING to play ball, and not wanting to take a chance that he comes to Pittsburgh, doesn't get on the field (Batch is QB), and then is cut at the end of the year, and can't even go back to Baltimore. I don't blame him one bit for that.

vader29
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
true, but I think this situation is a little different. If Dixon came and played a game for us, you know he'd give the plays away to us as well. Then, once Ben is healthy, what are the chances he gets a job back in Baltimore? I think this is about him WANTING to play ball, and not wanting to take a chance that he comes to Pittsburgh, doesn't get on the field (Batch is QB), and then is cut at the end of the year, and can't even go back to Baltimore. I don't blame him one bit for that.

Well he could have came here for a couple of weeks, learned our playbook and then if cut, the Ravens could have signed him back to get our plays. Staying on a practice squad rather than trying out to make it as a backup on a pro roster does show that he either doesn't have any confidence in himself at making it or maybe the Ravens did pay him extra to not accept a tryout with Pittsburgh. The Ravens only re-signed him to their practice squad after Ben's injury and he can easily get cut from them at the end of the season also if not before.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Well he could have came here for a couple of weeks, learned our playbook and then if cut, the Ravens could have signed him back to get our plays. Staying on a practice squad rather than trying out to make it as a backup on a pro roster does show that he either doesn't have any confidence in himself at making it or maybe the Ravens did pay him extra to not accept a tryout with Pittsburgh. The Ravens only re-signed him to their practice squad after Ben's injury and he can easily get cut from them at the end of the season also if not before.

his future practice squad eligibility probably was not worth the chance he would be taking considering this team has already shown him the direction they are likely to continue to follow with Byron and Charlie

SteelGhost
11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for sayin' no Dennis, enjoy that purple practice uni :wave:

86WARD
11-24-2012, 06:57 AM
I can't tell you how happy I am that Dixon said know, but so pissed that the Steelers would even consider going back to that mess. He was barely serviceable during his period in Pittsburgh...he has no previous knowledge of Haley's playbook...it makes zero sense other than the Steelers afraid to go out if their "comfort zone."

Steeldude
11-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Good. Why are the Steelers asking a WR to play QB again?

HollywoodSteel
11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
When did Dixon ever play WR?

Steeldude
11-25-2012, 01:02 AM
When did Dixon ever play WR?

When did he ever show he is an NFL QB? He's another Kordell.

HollywoodSteel
11-25-2012, 08:33 AM
When did he ever show he is an NFL QB? He's another Kordell.

When he played QB in the NFL. I'm not saying he's good or anything. Most 3rd string QBs aren't. I believe you might be labeling him based on appearance or something (or maybe because he wore #10 when he got the chance). How is calling him a WR any different than randomly calling him a CB? It's not the position he plays.

KeiselPower99
11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Dixon is a crappy Cam Newton without the starting job. I never understood why people were so high on him. As for Jerrod Johnson I remember someone saying before the UFL season that players could come and go as they pleased. Im sure if he was available he would have jumped on the plane and been in Pittsburgh in no time as the reason the UFL season was cancelled was they didn't have the money to pay the players. Id like to have seen Tyler Palko signed. He knows the playbook.

HollywoodSteel
11-25-2012, 12:09 PM
his future practice squad eligibility probably was not worth the chance he would be taking considering this team has already shown him the direction they are likely to continue to follow with Byron and Charlie

This is what makes the most sense. Any notion that he doesn't want to play football in the NFL is ridiculous and based on nothing. I'm not sure how many more accrued active games he can have before becoming ineligible for a practice squad. The Ravens probably promised him a legit shot at competing for their #2 spot next year if he stays. If he rides the bench for the Steelers for one game, he'll be cut as soon as Ben returns and be out on the street, while denting or perhaps even ending his PS eligibility.

But I agree with everyone that signing him wasn't the best choice anyway. It's not like he knows Haley's play book or anything. I wish there was guy like Moore or Henne on the street. A capable smart vet who won't panic and can be productive.

Steeldude
11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
When he played QB in the NFL. I'm not saying he's good or anything. Most 3rd string QBs aren't. I believe you might be labeling him based on appearance or something (or maybe because he wore #10 when he got the chance). How is calling him a WR any different than randomly calling him a CB? It's not the position he plays.

I doubt he would be able to play CB, but it's better than him playing QB.

Appearance? It's called how he plays as a QB. He can run, but cannot throw or read a defense ala Kordell

It's not the position he plays

It's the position he should have played when he was here.