PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Steeler pledges $100,000 to anti-gang effort

Galax Steeler
07-27-2010, 03:37 AM
Businessman and former Steeler Chuck Sanders is throwing his support behind the city's new anti-gang initiative, the Pittsburgh Initiative to Reduce Crime.

On Thursday, Chuck Sanders Charities will announce a $100,000 grant to help provide jobs to gang members who want to turn their lives around.

The money will subsidize the gang members' wages at jobs provided by community groups or other employers, according to a statement issued by the charity today.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10207/1075468-100.stm#ixzz0us090r27

solardave
07-27-2010, 03:43 AM
Good Deal. We could use some positive press.

SteelerEmpire
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Cool. The more direct and one on one a social program is, the more likely it will solve the problem it aims at.

SteelerSal
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Good story. This might help be an answer to give kids in gangs hope that there is another alternative in thier life besides violence.

Am I the only one who has never heard of the Sanders guy?

solardave
07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Good story. This might help be an answer to give kids in gangs hope that there is another alternative in thier life besides violence.

Am I the only one who has never heard of the Sanders guy?

No Sal, you are not alone. I've never heard of him either.

oneforthetoe
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Sanders was a senior at Slippery Rock when I was a freshmen. He was coming off a junior season where some were thinking he might at least get a Heisman mention (never would have happened, of course). His senior season he suffered from a nagging injury. I was a athletic training major for one semester and with his injury he was in the training room quite a bit. He had a good sense of humor about his predicament. I remember one day he was walking around the training room shaking hands and introducing himself as "has-been."

I also remember when he made the Steelers' squad. He was unpolished, but a good athlete. IIRCC, he did pretty well on special Teams.

Good for Him.

steelerdude15
07-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I've never heard of him either, but it's good that he's helping contributing to the city in ways of reducing violence and crime.