PDA

View Full Version : This team needs to hold the fort until Ben returns.

Edman
11-19-2012, 11:33 AM
The season isn't over yet, but they can pretty much forget about the Division after last night. They're not catching up with Baltimore, and they're not beating the Ravens in Baltimore in two weeks. Last night showed me that even though Baltimore is in command in terms of record, we're not far off behind them. Last year both teams finished at 12-4, but it was clear that the Ravens were a superior team. Shutting down Rice and Bert last night after they exploded on us last year showed that they can be had.

The only way I see this team getting anywhere is getting hot at the right time and pulling off a big run. With the Defense playing the way it is, they can make it happen. The '05 Steelers did it. The '10 Packers did it. The Giants did it twice.

All of the Steelers' losses this year were in close games. Denver had to put it away with a Pick-6. With all the ridiculous injuries this team had, it's nothing short of incredible. It's not like the Steelers are losing badly. That's the only consolation I can take.

11-5 or 10-6 is the 2012 final record, unless something really bad happens. The record may not show it, but this years team is better than the 2011 squad.

HollywoodSteel
11-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I want to hold out hope for this. Obviously, the odds are not in our favor but every playoff team is beatable this year, (even Houston, as we saw Jags almost beat them in Houston). Biggest problem I see, even if we somehow become healthy for a wildcard run is beating Denver in Denver. Funny how it happened, but Clark has become key to this defense even more so than Troy. As good as Troy is, he isn't very effective without Clark, but Clark is still Clark without Troy. (on on aside, getting Clark is right up with with getting Farrior and the Bus when it comes to non-draft pick ups by the Steelers. When we lost Chris Hope I was really worried because he was also excellent at allowing Troy to free lance. The Clark pick up is one of those slightly under the radar moves that probably doesn't get as much praise for this organization as it deserves. If Troy ever gets a bust in Canton, he should bring Clark and maybe Hope up with with him.)

Of course circumstances could work in our favor to avoid that game -- if we don't have to play them first and someone else beats them, but that's tough to see happening. What other potential WC card team will beat them in Denver? Cinci? Indy? Doubt it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
No. Wrong mentality. This team needs to move on as if Ben isnt coming back this season. This team needs to play with a Win Now mentality. This is do or die. We can fold or we can fight.

Edman
11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
I want to hold out hope for this. Obviously, the odds are not in our favor but every playoff team is beatable this year, (even Houston, as we saw Jags almost beat them in Houston). Biggest problem I see, even if we somehow become healthy for a wildcard run is beating Denver in Denver. Funny how it happened, but Clark has become key to this defense even more so than Troy. As good as Troy is, he isn't very effective without Clark, but Clark is still Clark without Troy. (on on aside, getting Clark is right up with with getting Farrior and the Bus when it comes to non-draft pick ups by the Steelers. When we lost Chris Hope I was really worried because he was also excellent at allowing Troy to free lance. The Clark pick up is one of those slightly under the radar moves that probably doesn't get as much praise for this organization as it deserves. If Troy ever gets a bust in Canton, he should bring Clark and maybe Hope up with with him.)

Of course circumstances could work in our favor to avoid that game -- if we don't have to play them first and someone else beats them, but that's tough to see happening. What other potential WC card team will beat them in Denver? Cinci? Indy? Doubt it.

Denver is VERY beatable. The Steelers had a 19-14 lead in the Fourth Quarter of that game. The Steelers play two teams that were considered "cream of the crop" in the AFC and played then tough to the end. Compare that to last year when the Steelers were clearly outmatched by the Ravens and Texans, and barely squeaked by New England.

All of the AFC teams this year are EXTREMELY beatable. Even Houston. It's all about who gets hot at the right time. If they can hold out a few weeks without Ben, he'll come back and they'll get hot.

HollywoodSteel
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
No. Wrong mentality. This team needs to move on as if Ben isnt coming back this season. This team needs to play with a Win Now mentality. This is do or die. We can fold or we can fight.

From the teams, POV, of course you're right. They have to fight hard and and try to win every game no matter who is in there.

From our POV: Who are we kidding? This team is not winning a playoff game, let alone going to the Super Bowl without Ben. That's nothing unique to the Steelers. It's just the NFL now. Bears can't get there without Cutler, Texans can't get there without Schaub, etc. Even with a great defense and running game. We couldn't even put up enough points to beat a battered Ravens team at home, with our defense giving up next to no points.

86WARD
11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
They won't and the coaching staff won't help. That pathetic last play of the game last night is all you need to see to realize the season is over.

Makes you wonder if there was something wrong with Batch too that the staff wouldn't put him in there for an injured Leftwich.

plenewken
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
This is the 4th year in a row that I read, "now the team needs to play with a WIN NOW mentality" and this tells me this has nothing to do with injuries as much as with coaching. I rarely get a sense of deep focus and good mental preparation with the Steelers and this fall squarely on Tomlin's shoulders. Playing without Ben is a great opportunity for some guys to step up to the plate and show what they're capable of. They pretty much all failed miserably, except the D.

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
why are we talking superbowl? lol i was just talking about regular season games. easy fellas

Edman
11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
They won't and the coaching staff won't help. That pathetic last play of the game last night is all you need to see to realize the season is over.

Makes you wonder if there was something wrong with Batch too that the staff wouldn't put him in there for an injured Leftwich.

May as well not even watch the games then, because you know, season's over. I'll stop posting in topics until next offseason, because at 6-4, season's over.

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
why the fuck is the season over? knee jerk reactions lol...we look pretty set to be 9-7, 10-6 for that 6th seed. The Texans, Ravens, Broncos, and Patriots are shoe ins at this point to win their division. That leaves the 2 wildcard spots. The Colts got trounced but other than the 4 aforementioned teams,no teams in the AFC AT ALL look like they have any chance to get a wildcard spot over the colts or steelers. maybe the bengals with the way theyve played lately but were still a game ahead of them and have a say in how they finish out with one more game against them at home.

steel striker
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
The season is hardly over guys come on and, it's one game. True winning the division is not likely but, the steelers could still make the playoffs. Listen sooner or later the injuries catch up to you and, that's no excuse just the truth. Poor clock management does not help the cause either does costly mistakes by special teams & putting the ball on the ground Wallace. The steelers are still in the hunt for one of the wild card spots no need to panic.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 02:27 PM
with a change at QB being my pre qualifier in the statement I am about to state I will continue ....

I am not about to concede the division just yet , granted we need some things to happen to help us first and foremost Ben returning to action asap ... but its not over yet folks !!

look at the Ravens schedule remaining and you will see as long as we take care of our business we still have a shot at the Div title ....

Ravens have potentially tough games ahead in the following teams .... Chargers in San Diego is no gimme even with Norv Turner coaching them , Steelers ( have you thrown in the towel already ? ) Redskins , sure they can suck but when you cant stop the run they can be a daunting task ..... and then they end the season with the Broncos , Giants, Bengals none of which are gimmes ....

so If Ben can return and be effective relatively soon and Charlie Batch can guide us to a couple wins in the meantime it is not inconceivable that we end up with the division crown ....

not saying , just saying

st33lersguy
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
It would help if the defense created turnovers. Turnovers were the only thing preventing us from losing to the Rats 3 times in 2010, it changed the momentum in the Cincy game, and I feel even with everything that had gone wrong, we still could have won the game had someone created a game-changing turnover in this game

86WARD
11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
That bullshit organization ESPN is reporting that Ben could be back for Week 13...lol.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
The season isn't over, but it's looking pretty damn bleak. If they can't get anything going offensively until Ben comes back...if he does...then they will be screwed. Besides, all they need to do is get in the playoffs, and after that, anything can happen. The Giants proved that twice, and the Steelers proved that themselves in 2005.

st33lersguy
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
That bullshit organization BSPN is reporting that Ben could be back for Week 13...lol.

Fixed it :thumbsup:

Count Steeler
11-19-2012, 03:23 PM

I have been pondering that today. Batch, perhaps didn't practice or something else was wrong. At what point do the coaches make a move?

86WARD
11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I have been pondering that today. Batch, perhaps didn't practice or something else was wrong. At what point do the coaches make a move?

Well Batch will have to go this week because of Leftwich injuries...so we'll find out what's up soon enough.

Count Steeler
11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Well Batch will have to go this week because of Leftwich injuries...so we'll find out what's up soon enough.

And what happens when this glass pony shatters? I heard speculation that Palko may be making a visit to Pittsburgh. KC connection.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Brad Sorensen QB southern Utah middle rounds 4-5 in 2013 draft