PDA

View Full Version : I Blame the Coaches

Pristas
11-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Why the hell was Byron left in there when he was obviously hurting? How many passes fell short because he under threw our open receivers? Batch should have been inserted at the half. This loss is on the coaches.

Pristas
11-19-2012, 07:27 AM
And I'll add, all of you who are hating Leftwich, are wrong. He did a great job up until he was injured. Once he was hurt, it was over, and all of his passes fell short or were inaccurate. This will probably come out in the press today. Tomlin has a lot to answer for.

Crow-Magnon
11-19-2012, 07:32 AM
I found it surprising, but I have come to the conclusion that coaches know more than we do, so Tomlin must have had a good reason not to put Batch in the game.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 07:46 AM
This is just a theory, but I'm thinking he wasn't pulled because they'd then be down to 1 QB, and if Batch got hurt, you'd have Jerricho Cotchery or Emmanuel Sanders as your QB. Now, did anyone here REALLY want to see that happen? The only way Leftwich was leaving the game was if the injury was severe enough that he couldn't play.

Steeldude
11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
This is just a theory, but I'm thinking he wasn't pulled because they'd then be down to 1 QB, and if Batch got hurt, you'd have Jerricho Cotchery or Emmanuel Sanders as your QB. Now, did anyone here REALLY want to see that happen? The only way Leftwich was leaving the game was if the injury was severe enough that he couldn't play.

Heath Miller is the emergency QB. Just an FYI : )

GBMelBlount
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
And I'll add, all of you who are hating Leftwich, are wrong. He did a great job up until he was injured. Once he was hurt, it was over, and all of his passes fell short or were inaccurate. This will probably come out in the press today. Tomlin has a lot to answer for.

So was that until the 2nd play of the game or 3rd?

Pristas
11-19-2012, 08:45 AM

This doesn't make any sense to me. If Batch gets hurt, you just stick Lefty back in there and hope for the best. As it were, he was throwing the "dying quail" all 4th quarter.

Batch at least would have given us a chance.

And to Crow: Tomlin may or may not have known the Lefty situation. It all depends if he saw what we saw on TV. It is very likely that Lefty was trying to be the tough guy. It wasn't until the very end of the second quarter that the trainers even went to look at him. Those passes, even the ones at the beginning of the third quarter, were pathetic. Lefty has a rifle arm. It was painfully obvious that he was injured. If Batch isn't better than an injured Leftwich, why the heck is he on our team, instead of Jarred Johnson who did a great job in camp?

My head hurts, and I didn't even drink last night.

Wallace was horrible too. He didn't even drop to his knees to try to catch that one pass. He should have at least dove back towards the QB to try to catch it. Then instead of falling down in the endzone and dragging toes, he plants a foot to stay upright. The cost for doing that? The game. 11 million my ass.

- - - Updated - - -

So was that until the 2nd play of the game or 3rd?

Third. First was a bomb, and he got the PI on that. Then didn't he connect with Heath second? From then on, every pass was low.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 08:47 AM
That's why I said it was just a theory, dude. Nobody will know for sure until his press conference tomorrow.

st33lersguy
11-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Momlin sorely mismanaged the game. Momlin's thinking: "Yes I know Leftwich is struggling and he appears to have an injury, but what am I going to do, bench him? Who benches players anymore?"

plenewken
11-19-2012, 09:16 AM
That's what back-ups are for. If Ben is injured, they play Leftwich and if Leftwich is injured, they play Batch. If not, no need to take a roster spot and pay a player who won't be used.

Pristas
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
That's what back-ups are for. If Ben is injured, they play Leftwich and if Leftwich is injured, they play Batch. If not, no need to take a roster spot and pay a player who won't be used.

Amen.

steelreserve
11-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Yeah, but since Batch was the 2nd quarterback for this game, Leftwich could've come back in if he was really needed. My guess would be more that they didn't put Batch in because he didn't get any of the reps and wasn't prepared, which usually turns out pretty badly as well. With a week to get ready, he usually does better.

HollywoodSteel
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, but since Batch was the 2nd quarterback for this game, Leftwich could've come back in if he was really needed. My guess would be more that they didn't put Batch in because he didn't get any of the reps and wasn't prepared, which usually turns out pretty badly as well. With a week to get ready, he usually does better.

This is probably a pretty sound theory. They had a game plan for Lefty -- throw deep early and get the Ravens off of their game plan. It was a neat idea if Lefty could be effective from then on, but he wasn't. Batch isn't scaring anyone with his deep ball, especially without a week of practice with the first team for timing. They wanted Ravens on their heels.

It's so sad. Ben would have torn that team apart... or at least scored enough points to win.

86WARD
11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Maybe Batch is injured too and the coaching staff didn't want to put him in the game.

Pristas
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
It's so sad. Ben would have torn that team apart... or at least scored enough points to win.

THIS.

zulater
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Even though I wanted the Steelers to start Batch I respect their decision to go with Leftwich. But you're 100% right, once it became apparent Leftwich's ribs, and shoulder were affecting his play you had to go to the bench and get Charlie in there.

Terrible call by Tomlin, one that may have cost us the division if not the playoffs.

zulater
11-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe Batch is injured too and the coaching staff didn't want to put him in the game.

Then they should have signed someone from off the roster last week.

Honestly I think what happened is they afforded Lefty, Big Ben status. By that I mean Tomlin would never pull Ben out of a game that Ben was willing to play on in. And with Ben that's clearly the right call. Because Ben at 50% or better gives you a much better chance to win than anyone else on the roster. But a significantly diminished Leftwich is in no way worthy of that sort of respect.

While I give credit to Leftwich for fighting on, the coaching staff gets major demerits for allowing a mediocre player to continue to play at the expense of the team. In other words Tomlin needs to recognize that Batch at 100% is better than Leftwich at where he was last night.

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Even though I wanted the Steelers to start Batch I respect their decision to go with Leftwich. But you're 100% right, once it became apparent Leftwich's ribs, and shoulder were affecting his play you had to go to the bench and get Charlie in there.

Terrible call by Tomlin, one that may have cost us the division if not the playoffs.

That's the thing that still eats at me about that game. Everyone could tell that Lefty was hurt but yet they just kept putting him out there. I can't help but think that we would've won if they had taken him out and put in Batch.

Pristas
11-19-2012, 07:08 PM
While I give credit to Leftwich for fighting on, the coaching staff gets major demerits for allowing a mediocre player to continue to play at the expense of the team. In other words Tomlin needs to recognize that Batch at 100% is better than Leftwich at where he was last night.

Agree 100%

Isn't Leftwich the QB that Lineman carried down the filed at Marshall? He has the same type of ego/desire as Ben, without the gifts to back it up.

Shoes
11-19-2012, 08:21 PM

He will be for sure by the end of the Browns game.

SteelGhost
11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know if we could have won with Batch, BUT definitely keeping Leftwitch was a bad decision IMHO.

Now we have to pray for Batch for the Browns' game :pray:

plenewken
11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Tomlin sucked on that one. If he doesn't trust Batch, what the heck is he doing on the roster?