PDA

View Full Version : A REAL look at the backup QB situation.

LLT
11-19-2012, 06:42 AM
The anemic play of Byron Leftwich has some fans already calling for Charlie Batch. Lets face it; if the 38 year old Charlie Batch is our answer to the backup quarterback situation, then the Steelers Nation is in a serious state of hurt.

The current discussion about who is the batter backup, is the equivalent of asking ourselves; would we rather chew glass or gargle battery acid? For those not folowing the analogy....neither is considerably appealng.

The debate now MUST turn to what are we going to do about this obvious lack of depth? Of course there is the draft. This next years crop is top heavy with several prospects showing the skill and ability to rank 1st and 2nd round consideration. However, I would point out that this offseason is perhaps the perfect year to pick up a veteran QB, and would argue that this is perhaps the way to go.

Here are a few stats of our current backups:

Byron Leftwich: 32 years old,
58.2 career completion rate,
58 TD's and 41 Interceptions,
79.5 career QB rating

Charlie Batch: 38 years old
56.3 career completion rate,
60 TD's and 48 Interceptions,
77.8 career QB rating

Granted, as with all stats, we have to take a lot of factors into consideration. Knowing this...here is a list of QB's that may be available in 2013, along with the comparible stats. These stats are only meant as a starting point of reference and every fan should do their own homework, so as to form an educated opinion.

Jason Cambell: 31 years old
60.8 career completion rate
74 TD's and 50 Interceptions,
82.6 career QB rating
(If Campbell plays well in relief of Cutler, he will be picked up as a starting QB somewhere)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 30 years old
59.7 career completion rate,
73 TD's and 58 Interceptions,
76.9 career QB rating
(I actually like Fitz, and would be pleased to have him behind Ben)

Tavaris Jackson: 29 year old
59.4 career completion rate,
38 TD's and 34 Interceptions,
77.7 career QB rating
(I'm a little suspicious of his field awareness...seems to throw into coverage too often)

Kevin Kolb: 28 years old
59.5 career completion rate,
28 TD's and 25 Interceptions,
78.9 career QB rating
(The simple fact that none of Arizona's QB's are effective, my be an indication that the problem isn't Kolb)

Matt Moore: 28 years old
59.1 career completion rate,
33 TD's and 26 Interceptions,
80.5 career QB rating
(Better than his numbers indicate...should grow into a competant backup)

Drew Stanton: 28 years old
55.6 career completion rate,
5 TD's and 9 Interceptions,
26.6 career QB rating
(Thats right.....26.6 QB rating....nuff said)

Tim Tebow: 25 years old
47.9 career completion rate,
17 TD's and 9 Interceptions,
75.5 career QB rating
(Love him or hate him...he has heart. And a 47.9 completion rate...just sayin')

****That takes us to the two QB's who I am most intrigued by*****

Matt Cassel: 30 years old
58.9 career completion rate,
82 TD's and 57 Interceptions,
80.5 career QB rating
(Cassel is a very good backup QB...who the chiefs have mistakenly thought was a starter. I look for the Chiefs to jettison Cassel at seasons end.)

Matt Flynn: 27 years old
62.1 career completion rate,
9 TD's and 5 Interceptions,
92.8 career QB rating
(Those of us who remember Flynn with the Packers, remember that he definately passed the eye test. His QB rating is indicitive of his accuracy and ability. Unfortunately for Flynn, Pete Carroll still has a college mentality and favors athletes over football players.)

Well, there you have it. A pretty substantial list. I left off players like Michael Vick, who should never wear the black and gold, and Matt Hasselbeck, who is 138 years old. I also left off a few players who may be free agents, yet I believe have a better than average chance of resigning with their current team.

So....pick your poison.

SteelerEmpire
11-19-2012, 06:56 AM
After Lefty hurt his side during that touchdown roll, his play fell off dramatically. I think the injury (that the team ignored) effected his play.

Drazo85
11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
There are some good names out there for sure. Some of these gyus would be looking for starting jobs, espicially gyus like Flynn or Fitzpatrick, and some of them are not good fit for our offense, like Tebow or Jackson. If i have to pick someone from this group, it would be either Fitzpatrick, Moore or Kolb. I dont know why, but, for me, Matt Moore stands out from this group as most appealing solution. Kolb and Fitz have tendecies to throw INT in bunches, and would be more expensive than Moore. We must reschufle our QB position, draft a late round QB, bring experinced backup and let the kid learn as a third string guy. Texans have done that with Leinart and Yates last season.

Austin87
11-19-2012, 07:29 AM
TEBOW!!!

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
I like Campbell and would love Matt Flynn. Unfortunately, both will get starting jobs elsewhere. Matt Flynn in particular...man, was he screwed by the Whinehawks or what? Now granted, Russell Wilson hasn't been bad, but still...guy signs that big contract thinking he's going to be the starter, and Pete Carroll stiffs him. So the Steelers should probably go after Kevin Kolb or Matt Moore.

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I like Matt Moore in that group. Cassel would also be good if he's willing to be a backup.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
put me down for a rookie signal caller who flashes big at a lower level of competition and flies under the radar that can be had at the end of the 4th round to sit and learn from Ben and Charlie while Leftwich is flipping burgers somewhere perhaps Brad Sorensen QB southern Utah

86WARD
11-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I like Matt Moore in that group. Cassel would also be good if he's willing to be a backup.

Thinking the same.b actually wouldn't mind Colt McCoy on the team.

LLT
11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Outside of Cassel and Flynn....I agree with XT. Moore and Kolb are intriguing. Fitz "fits" in there somewhere.

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Moore by far the best on that list. Maybe Flynn if we knew more about how we would do as a starter in a season

Steeltreal
11-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Id rather have ex Pitt Panther and Chiefs Qb Tyler Palko

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Thinking the same.b actually wouldn't mind Colt McCoy on the team.

McCoy wouldn't be a bad choice either. He was completely mishandled by the Browns and has more talent, IMO, than people realize.

Count Steeler
11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I like Colt. He would play well in the black and gold.

86WARD
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Id rather have ex Pitt Panther and Chiefs Qb Tyler Palko

That's actually not a terrible idea and he knows Haley's offense...I've heard worse...like Leftwich...

Chidi29
11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
You first have to think about who would want to come here. I doubt guys like Campbelll and even Cassel would look to Pittsburgh first because they know there's zero chance of getting the starting gig barring injury. Same with Flynn, if he's available which who knows what'll happen there.

I'm in agreement Moore is a solid option. He played on bad Carolina and Miami teams and brought them kinda back to life, especially in Miami. I always thought Jackson got a bad rap. Childress misused him in Minnesota and then tossed him aside when Favre came in.

LLT
11-19-2012, 05:54 PM
That's actually not a terrible idea and he knows Haley's offense...I've heard worse...like Leftwich...

Oh boy....I don't know. Being 6'1...having an average arm..and a low release point...isn't attractive to me. But as you said...neither is Leftwich

- - - Updated - - -

I like Colt. He would play well in the black and gold.

I like Colt also....but I think he is signed through the 2013 season.

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
A guy that I've always liked as a backup QB is Shaun Hill. He's been very good throughout his career off the bench. I wonder what his contract status is with Detroit?

Hmmm, looks like he signed a 2 year deal before this season for $5.5M. Seems like quite a bargain for the Lions.

7willBheaven
11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
On the above list...Flynn, Moore and Kolb stand out to me. And even Colt McCoy (though he might have another year on his deal or something like someone mentioned).

SteelGhost
11-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd like Moore AND pick one prospect in next year's draft :yup:

Heinz Hitman
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Colt could be looking for a job after the season. Haslam is probably going to do a little house cleaning after the season is over... Officially over, I mean. I know their season has been realistically over since week 2.

Chidi29
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Mike Kafka will be brought in for a workout Tuesday, according to Schefter.

86WARD
11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Not terrible...

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Colt could be looking for a job after the season. Haslam is probably going to do a little house cleaning after the season is over... Officially over, I mean. I know their season has been realistically over since week 2.

Colt has a cheap contract though so I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.

Chidi29
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Brian Hoyer being brought in as well.

LLT
11-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Brian Hoyer was a name that my buddy threw out when we were having this discussion. What I remember of him when he was drafted was that he had poor mechanics and "happy feet". Not a real cerebral player.

If I had my druthers....I would go with Kafka...who would be a better long-term back up. HOWEVER...Hoyer does show some ability to plink and plunk his way down the field with the short passes, which fits into our offensive scheme this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like Moore AND pick one prospect in next year's draft :yup:

This would be the ideal situation.