PDA

View Full Version : Why this loss was so devastating.

zulater
11-19-2012, 06:20 AM
This loss was as bad as it gets and I'll tell you why.

Say for example that the Ravens came in and played offensively like they did last year in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers lost a heartbreaker 23-20, something like that. Where the Steelers actually put up some sort of offensive showing. Well going foward you can project ahead and say against a lesser team they should be able to take care of business and stack enough wins to get a playoff berth.

And recent history tells us that seeding has little bearing on overall chance in the NFL's playoff tournament. So get in, and presuming that Ben is back at some point, you've got a punchers chance in the playoffs. I'm convinced that a healthy Steeler team is potentially as good as any in the NFL if they're playing up to their potential.

But now, how can you project this team beating anyone without Ben? And quite honestly I think the best case scenario would see Ben missing a minimum of 3 more games. So then the question may be is it really worth bringing Ben back to a 6-7 team?

I mean really how can anyone suggest this team will beat the Browns in Cleveland if they're incapable of scoring an offensive touchdown? Got news for you folks. Despite their record the Browns are playing pretty good. Their defense is better than that of the Ravens. So if we can't mount or sustain any offense in Pittsburgh against a beat up and mediocre Raven defense how the hell do you think we score any points in Cleveland?

Basically if the Browns win the battle of special teams ( hard to imagine they wont) and protect the ball ( Steelers defense is elite, except for creating turnovers) they'll most likely win the game. Oh yeah, and let's not forget we'll probably double them in penalty yards.

Anway our season comes down to this game in my opinion. Beat the Browns and you sustain life into December, and potentially get your franchise qb back at some point with a team that hasn't flatlined in the standings or morale. Lose it? And I don't think there's going to be a season to bring Ben back for.

GBMelBlount
11-19-2012, 06:27 AM
It wasn't only Lefty's fault. If the special teams hadn't given up the touchdown and Wallace hadn't fumbled we could have won. (lof ot "if's"...I know.)

There is a reason Baltimore only has two losses. They are a good team, especially their red zone defense.

Our offensive line and special teams simply have to get it done this week, like the defense did last night.

and of course we hope & pray the QB play improves....

Crow-Magnon
11-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Steelers did score an offensive TD, although no one saw that coming from Leftwich. Did Baltimore's offense "wow" anyone? Hell no! But, they did one thing well- they avoided the two things that hve killed them in past match-ups in Pittsburgh_ INT's and fumbles. I think they played conservative football on offense knowing Leftwich would have to beat them if they played mistake-free football.

We all love hard-hitting defenses, but QB's row the boat in today's game. Lefttwich got huurt and couldn't do what hehad to. I was surprised that Batch never saw the field though.

steel striker
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
This was a game the steelers needed to win because, if you would have told me the ravens would only score 13 points this should have been a win.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
If the Steelers continue to trot Lefty out we easily go win less until Ben is healthy , if they Play Charlie Batch I think we recover nicely , no it wont be Ben but we will get some wins ...

I will not be shocked to hear Lefty has a season ending injury sometime today or at the very least something that the team determines will limit his availability as the starter and Batch takes the reins for next week vs the Browns