PDA

View Full Version : Batch and his hideous Steelers play.

zulater
11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=311224023

PITTSBURGH -- Charlie Batch doesn't know how many more games are left in his 37-year-old legs. Given the way the veteran quarterback played in the Steelers' ridiculously easy 27-0 victory over lifeless St. Louis on Saturday, it may be more than he thinks.

With the crowd chanting the name of Pittsburgh's native son throughout, Batch played efficiently if not spectacularly while subbing for an injured Ben Roethlisberger, passing for 208 yards to help the Steelers keep their hopes for an AFC North title very much alive.
"Nobody wants to let this team down," Batch said. "One thing about it is we just try to keep the ball rolling, whoever is in there."

Batch is now 5-2 as a spot starter with the Steelers and could get another shot next week against Cleveland when the Steelers go for their second straight division title.
"We've won games with (Batch) in the past; if need be, we will games with him in the future," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We are very comfortable with our depth at the quarterback position."
The Steelers sure played like it.

Batch, making just his seventh start since 2001, had no such issues. He completed 15 of 22 passes, his only hiccup coming on a second-quarter interception on which intended receiver Antonio Brown slipped.
While Batch lacks Roethlisberger's big-time arm, he did get the ball downfield on a couple of occasions, including a 46-yard pass to Mike Wallace in the fourth quarter that set up Mendenhall's 1-yard plunge that put Pittsburgh ahead 20-0.

Batch completed 68% of his passes and averaged over 9.5 yards an attempt, yet had nothing to do with this win from what I've been told. Go figure?

zulater
11-19-2012, 12:41 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=301003023&period=0

1st and 10 at PIT 36 C.Batch pass short middle to R.Mendenhall to PIT 40 for 4 yards (R.Lewis).
2nd and 6 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall up the middle to PIT 46 for 6 yards (H.Ngata).
1st and 10 at PIT 46 C.Batch pass incomplete short left to H.Ward (C.Carr). PENALTY on BLT-C.Carr, Defensive Pass Interference, 12 yards, enforced at PIT 46 - No Play.
1st and 10 at BAL 42 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass short right to H.Ward to BLT 37 for 5 yards (J.Johnson).
2nd and 5 at BAL 37 R.Mendenhall left tackle to BLT 35 for 2 yards (R.Lewis).
3rd and 3 at BAL 35 C.Batch pass deep left to A.Randle El to BLT 1 for 34 yards (F.Washington).
1st and 1 at BAL 1 #64 Legursky reports as eligible receiver. R.Mendenhall left guard to BLT 1 for no gain (H.Ngata).
2nd and 1 at BAL 1 R.Mendenhall left guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. 0 6
J.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-D.Sepulveda. 0 7
J.Reed kicks 75 yards from PIT 30 to BLT -5. J.Parmele to BLT 17 for 22 yards (R.Mundy, K.Fox).

Pittsburgh Steelers at 14:06 BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 7 R.Mendenhall right guard to PIT 18 for 11 yards (T.Zbikowski). Penalty on BLT-T.Suggs, Defensive Offside, declined.
1st and 10 at PIT 18 R.Mendenhall right tackle to PIT 21 for 3 yards (H.Ngata).
2nd and 7 at PIT 21 C.Batch pass deep middle to H.Miller to PIT 40 for 19 yards (R.Lewis).
1st and 10 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall right tackle to PIT 43 for 3 yards (H.Ngata).
2nd and 7 at PIT 43 R.Mendenhall left tackle to PIT 40 for -3 yards (H.Ngata).
3rd and 10 at PIT 40 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass incomplete deep right to M.Wallace (L.Webb). PENALTY on BLT-H.Nakamura, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 40 - No Play.
Timeout #1 by BLT at 10:52.
3rd and 5 at PIT 45 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass short left to H.Miller to BLT 42 for 13 yards (F.Washington, H.Ngata).
1st and 10 at BAL 42 C.Batch pass incomplete deep right to M.Wallace (L.Webb).
2nd and 10 at BAL 42 C.Batch pass incomplete short left to H.Ward (P.Kruger). Deflected at line of scrimmage.
3rd and 10 at BAL 42 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass deep middle to A.Randle El to BLT 26 for 16 yards (F.Washington).
1st and 10 at BAL 26 R.Mendenhall right end to BLT 17 for 9 yards (D.Landry).
2nd and 1 at BAL 17 R.Mendenhall right tackle to BLT 13 for 4 yards (D.Landry, J.McClain).
1st and 10 at BAL 13 C.Batch pass short left to I.Redman to BLT 7 for 6 yards (D.Landry, J.McClain).
2nd and 4 at BAL 7 R.Mendenhall right end for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 10 13
J.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-D.Sepulveda. 10 14
J.Reed kicks 50 yards from PIT 30 to BLT 20. T.Zbikowski pushed ob at BLT 33 for 13 yards (A.Madison).

Oh look here, somehow Crappy charlie drove the Steelers 93 yards in the 4th quarter and gave them the lead against the Ravens! On the drive Crappy Charlie was 4-6 for 64 yards. But apparently he had nothing to do with the touchdown from what I've been told elsewhere!

zulater
11-19-2012, 12:53 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=300926027

Charlie Batch doesn't pretend to be a savior.

His job is to help Pittsburgh continue winning while Ben Roethlisberger is on suspension, and the 35-year-old quarterback just wants to do his part.
"These opportunities don't come often right now," the 13-year veteran said Sunday after making his first start in nearly three years and helping the Steelers remain unbeaten with a 38-13 rout of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"Everybody knows Ben's the starter," Batch added. "One thing I didn't want to do was be that weak link, to go out there and not be able to provide a spark or put this team in the end zone."
Batch threw for 186 yards and two long touchdowns to Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 143 yards and one score, and Pittsburgh's defense delivered another strong performance with Brett Keisel returning an interception 79 yards for a fourth-quarter TD.
The Steelers improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2007, despite playing without Roethlisberger, who's serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.
Dennis Dixon started the previous two games, but was lost to a knee injury last week. That opened the door for Batch.
"This is where we expected to be at this point," Batch said. "I know a lot of people on the outside did not believe that. But for us, we're just taking it one game at a time."

This game was in Tampa and the Bucs were 2-0 at the time of the kickoff on their way to a 10-6 season.

But please don't give "Botch" any credit. Just right time, right place, and had zero to do with the result.

zulater
11-19-2012, 01:01 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=300919010&period=0

R.Mendenhall left guard to TEN 16 for 7 yards (C.Finnegan, M.Griffin).
2nd and 3 at TEN 16 C.Batch pass deep left to M.Wallace for 16 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on PIT-J.Scott, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 16 - No Play.
2nd and 13 at TEN 26 (Shotgun) R.Mendenhall up the middle to TEN 31 for -5 yards (J.Jones). Penalty on PIT-F.Adams, Illegal Formation, declined.
3rd and 18 at TEN 31 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass short right to M.Wallace to TEN 16 for 15 yards (M.Griffin).
Timeout #3 by PIT at 00:04.
4th and 3 at TEN 16 (Field Goal formation) J.Reed 34 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-D.Sepulveda. 13 3

Batch came in for an injured Dixon in this game in the 2nd quarter and didn't play very good. But he did help the team stretch their lead, and if not for a Jonathan Scott hold his stats would have been more respectable.

- - - Updated - - -

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=300919010&period=0

zulater
11-19-2012, 01:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/1490/year/2006/charlie-batch

Oh look how worthless Botch was in 2006! He's always sucked as a Steeler!

Well what's 2006 got to do with anything anyway? That was the last time Byron Leftich won an NFL game. But outside of that here we prove once again the nickname "Botch" is well earned! :sarcasm:

zulater
11-19-2012, 01:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260907023

Heath Miller chugged his way down the sideline on an 87-yard touchdown pass play midway through the fourth quarter, fill-in QB Charlie Batch's third scoring pass of the game, and the Super Bowl champions beat the Dolphins 28-17 Thursday night in the NFL's first game of the season.
It was over when ...
Joey Porter picked off a Daunte Culpepper pass late in the fourth quarter and returned it 42 yards for a touchdown, giving Pittsburgh a 28-17 lead with just under three minutes remaining.
Game ball goes to ...
Pittsburgh's Charlie Batch and Willie Parker. Batch was sharp in place of injured starter Ben Roethlisberger, going 15-25 for 209 yards and three touchdowns. But Parker helped keep the pressure off Batch, rushing 29 times for 115 yards.
"It seemed like it took me forever to get there," Miller said.

Another episode of "Botch" the Steeler failure!

- - - Updated - - -

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261022001

Batch did a good job in relief, throwing for 195 yards and two TDs. But he never got a chance in overtime.

and let's not forget how "Botch went in for an injured Ben and couldn't hold on for the win against the Falcons here!

Crappy Charlie only completed 8-13 passes for `195 yards ( 15 yard avg per att) for 2 TD's and no picks.

Guys sucked ever since he put on a Steelers uniform!

zulater
11-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Last thing then I'm done. Why do people call Batch, "Botch"? The guys been a Steeler since 2002 and done nothing but represent the team with total class. I can see finding a "clever" nickname for Limas Sweed, or Kendrick ( Tinker) Bell or Stonio Holmes. But a guy like Batch, I just think that sort of disparaging nickname has to earned by detrimental play. So are you saying Batch has been a liability? Hasn't filled the role he was signed to do? Isn't worth giving a shot if Leftwich is too injured to play effectively?

steelreserve
11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Shit, dude. That was a rant and a half, but here's the deal. Batch isn't that good; he's OK. His outcome in a game will be from slightly above average to medium below average. His age and durability are becoming increasing question marks, although personally I'm not sure if I see a problem; he could very well be one of those guys like Chris Chandler or Steve DeBerg who can play at a mediocre level practically forever.

Anyway, point is, there's plenty out there for people to dislike, because Batch is not going to excel. That's frustrating to people. It's frustrating to me. But that's missing the entire point of a backup QB. Of course the backup QB is going to be more limited. On a team like ours, his entire job is to come in and not suck, and basically to play OK and not cost you the game while everybody else does their job. Batch does OK at that, and it's not exciting, but he does as OK as could be expected.

Now, of course what everyone wants as a backup is some young guy with a ton of potential, or an experienced but off-his-luck veteran who's competent based on reputation. That's the job of the backup QB on shitty teams like the Chiefs or the Dolphins who don't have much else going for them and are hoping for a gambler's chance, which rarely works out. Other teams try it and end up with Jim Druckenmiller, or late-career Donovan McNabb, or worst of all, end up paying Matt Cassel $11M a year. We've tried both recently - Dixon being the former and Leftwich being the latter - and gotten sucky as hell results. In that respect, Batch is one of those tweener guys who's a real asset. I think a lot of people dislike him because he doesn't have the potential to be great, and also a little bit because of the fringe/idiot background noise from people who want to start a quarterback controversy with Ben every time Batch comes in and does OK.

Listen, I know Batch is not the ideal starting QB, but the reason he's there is to bail us out of a desperate situation. That stink bomb we saw tonight ought to make people thankful to have Batch in reserve, because if Leftwich was our only option, we're fucked. This is now a desperate situation, and people have every reason to want Batch to come in and hopefully give us a bit more stability.

bayz101
11-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Damn, Zu, you're putting on a show! :chuckle:

Charlie Batch isn't a shitty quarterback, and anyone who says he is needs to click here: http://www.testandcalc.com/richard/resources/Teaching_Resource_Mental_Status_Examination.pdf

He's always been a dependable backup, and every year, I've found myself questioning whether or not he can still contribute, and every year, he's dependable. Makes me wonder if this guy will EVER retire. :chuckle:

Last thing then I'm done. Why do people call Batch, "Botch"? The guys been a Steeler since 2002 and done nothing but represent the team with total class. I can see finding a "clever" nickname for Limas Sweed, or Kendrick ( Tinker) Bell or Stonio Holmes. But a guy like Batch, I just think that sort of disparaging nickname has to earned by detrimental play. So are you saying Batch has been a liability? Hasn't filled the role he was signed to do? Isn't worth giving a shot if Leftwich is too injured to play effectively?

I don't understand it either, and honestly, it kind of hurts to see those nicks floating around.

zulater
11-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Damn, Zu, you're putting on a show! :chuckle:

Charlie Batch isn't a shitty quarterback, and anyone who says he is needs to click here: http://www.testandcalc.com/richard/resources/Teaching_Resource_Mental_Status_Examination.pdf

He's always been a dependable backup, and every year, I've found myself questioning whether or not he can still contribute, and every year, he's dependable. Makes me wonder if this guy will EVER retire. :chuckle:

I don't understand it either, and honestly, it kind of hurts to see those nicks floating around.

Just wondering, would any of these guys call Charlie "Botch" to his face? Would they be proud of their "hilarious" play on his name if they found out that Charlie was reading our forums?

Again someone like Santonio Holmes who's off field antics led to his ouster, I can see where he earns the "Stonio" handle.

Rashard Mendenhall, who's put up some "interesting tweets", if he gets called "Spinderella" or "Spindenhall", I can see.

But Charlie Batch has done nothing in a Steelers uniform, on or off the field the earn such a derisive moniker.

Steelermania
11-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Agree with all of this. It wasn't Charlie's play that ended his career as a starting qb. It was the never ending stream of injuries. Charlie was a mid level starter, but no team could count on a guy who gets injured when the wind blows, to be their starter.

salamander
11-19-2012, 06:21 AM
I never really understood the "Botch" thing either.

zulater
11-19-2012, 06:33 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=301003023&period=0

1st and 10 at PIT 36 C.Batch pass short middle to R.Mendenhall to PIT 40 for 4 yards (R.Lewis).
2nd and 6 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall up the middle to PIT 46 for 6 yards (H.Ngata).
1st and 10 at PIT 46 C.Batch pass incomplete short left to H.Ward (C.Carr). PENALTY on BLT-C.Carr, Defensive Pass Interference, 12 yards, enforced at PIT 46 - No Play.
1st and 10 at BAL 42 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass short right to H.Ward to BLT 37 for 5 yards (J.Johnson).
2nd and 5 at BAL 37 R.Mendenhall left tackle to BLT 35 for 2 yards (R.Lewis).
3rd and 3 at BAL 35 C.Batch pass deep left to A.Randle El to BLT 1 for 34 yards (F.Washington).
1st and 1 at BAL 1 #64 Legursky reports as eligible receiver. R.Mendenhall left guard to BLT 1 for no gain (H.Ngata).
2nd and 1 at BAL 1 R.Mendenhall left guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. 0 6
J.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-D.Sepulveda. 0 7
J.Reed kicks 75 yards from PIT 30 to BLT -5. J.Parmele to BLT 17 for 22 yards (R.Mundy, K.Fox).

Pittsburgh Steelers at 14:06 BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 7 R.Mendenhall right guard to PIT 18 for 11 yards (T.Zbikowski). Penalty on BLT-T.Suggs, Defensive Offside, declined.
1st and 10 at PIT 18 R.Mendenhall right tackle to PIT 21 for 3 yards (H.Ngata).
2nd and 7 at PIT 21 C.Batch pass deep middle to H.Miller to PIT 40 for 19 yards (R.Lewis).
1st and 10 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall right tackle to PIT 43 for 3 yards (H.Ngata).
2nd and 7 at PIT 43 R.Mendenhall left tackle to PIT 40 for -3 yards (H.Ngata).
3rd and 10 at PIT 40 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass incomplete deep right to M.Wallace (L.Webb). PENALTY on BLT-H.Nakamura, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 40 - No Play.
Timeout #1 by BLT at 10:52.
3rd and 5 at PIT 45 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass short left to H.Miller to BLT 42 for 13 yards (F.Washington, H.Ngata).
1st and 10 at BAL 42 C.Batch pass incomplete deep right to M.Wallace (L.Webb).
2nd and 10 at BAL 42 C.Batch pass incomplete short left to H.Ward (P.Kruger). Deflected at line of scrimmage.
3rd and 10 at BAL 42 (Shotgun) C.Batch pass deep middle to A.Randle El to BLT 26 for 16 yards (F.Washington).
1st and 10 at BAL 26 R.Mendenhall right end to BLT 17 for 9 yards (D.Landry).
2nd and 1 at BAL 17 R.Mendenhall right tackle to BLT 13 for 4 yards (D.Landry, J.McClain).
1st and 10 at BAL 13 C.Batch pass short left to I.Redman to BLT 7 for 6 yards (D.Landry, J.McClain).
2nd and 4 at BAL 7 R.Mendenhall right end for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 10 13
J.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-D.Sepulveda. 10 14
J.Reed kicks 50 yards from PIT 30 to BLT 20. T.Zbikowski pushed ob at BLT 33 for 13 yards (A.Madison).

Oh look here, somehow Crappy charlie drove the Steelers 93 yards in the 4th quarter and gave them the lead against the Ravens! On the drive Crappy Charlie was 4-6 for 64 yards. But apparently he had nothing to do with the touchdown from what I've been told elsewhere!

Just want to point out again that Batch led two sustained touchdown drives and gave the Steelers a 4th quarter lead against a much better Raven defense than the one they faced last night.

How anyone can declare that Batch wouldn't give the Steelers a better chance to win than Leftwich does is beyond me? And more to the point, beyond the body of evidence we have at our disposal.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 07:40 AM

You DO realize that our dearly departed Marianne was the first to coin the term, right? She was in the same boat I was. Charlie is a great guy, but a shitty QB, and he makes me extremely nervous when he takes the field. Sorry if you don't agree, but my mind won't be changed, much like hers wasn't.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 11:10 AM

how dare you forget Cedrick " Milk Carton " Wilson

- - - Updated - - -

You DO realize that our dearly departed Marianne was the first to coin the term, right? She was in the same boat I was. Charlie is a great guy, but a shitty QB, and he makes me extremely nervous when he takes the field. Sorry if you don't agree, but my mind won't be changed, much like hers wasn't.

just because your mind is made up , does not necessarily mean your correct , the proof is in the pudding and Charlie has the pudding in this case ... look at his Steeler stats and the results of such forget about his early days in Detroit when he had next to NOTHING around him and no defense to speak of outside of Chris Spielman .. after all this is a what have you done for me lately league

zulater
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Yep, I'm quite aware of that. And I had no problem telling her that disturbed me while she was still with us. And if she were alive I'm sure she would gladly confirm our difference of opinion on this matter.

Wallace108
11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Charlie Batch has done nothing in a Steelers uniform, on or off the field the earn such a derisive moniker.

Amen!!

I never understood all the hatred for Batch. Hatred isn't the right word, but you know what I mean. Over the years, I'd bet nearly every other team would love to have had Batch as a backup.

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

I guarantee that no team in the NFL has a quality third-string backup like the Steelers do with Charlie Batch.

Edman
11-19-2012, 02:10 PM

HTG was wrong, just like you are wrong. Just because she's gone doesn't make her any less wrong. For a guy nicknamed "Botch" he hasn't exactly "Botched" things up for the Steelers, at least nowhere near as horrid as Lefty did last night. Dixon and Leftwich have "Botched" more than "Botch" ever did.

Charlie Batch is no star. Nobody pretended that he was. He's just a guy who comes in and does his job and that's to be a dependable backup QB, and he hasn't shied away from that role. He's not the impressive specimen, he's not a freak athlete, he's doesn't have the "cannon" arm, but he's somehow he's done more than our other backups ever did. Lefty proved that the "cannon arm" doesn't even matter if you can't hit anything for shit. Charlie makes up for his shortcomings by being exceptionally wily and deviously smart. His head is definitely in the game. A smart guy with lacking prowess beats an athlete with freakish athletic ability and an ten-cent head and poor form (Dixon, Leftwich), every time.

I think this thread is quite evident that Charlie isn't exactly "shitty", but I'm not going to try to convince you or her God Bless her soul of otherwise. Keep calling him "shitty", it's just means you'll keep being wrong, just like HTG was.

zulater
11-19-2012, 02:35 PM
HTG was wrong, just like you are wrong. Just because she's gone doesn't make her any less wrong. For a guy nicknamed "Botch" he hasn't exactly "Botched" things up for the Steelers, at least nowhere near as horrid as Lefty did last night. Dixon and Leftwich have "Botched" more than "Botch" ever did.

Charlie Batch is no star. Nobody pretended that he was. He's just a guy who comes in and does his job and that's to be a dependable backup QB, and he hasn't shied away from that role. He's not the impressive specimen, he's not a freak athlete, he's doesn't have the "cannon" arm, but he's somehow he's done more than our other backups ever did. Lefty proved that the "cannon arm" doesn't even matter if you can't hit anything for shit. Charlie makes up for his shortcomings by being exceptionally wily and deviously smart. His head is definitely in the game. A smart guy with lacking prowess beats an athlete with freakish athletic ability and an ten-cent head and poor form (Dixon, Leftwich), every time.

I think this thread is quite evident that Charlie isn't exactly "shitty", but I'm not going to try to convince you or her God Bless her soul of otherwise. Keep calling him "shitty", it's just means you'll keep being wrong, just like HTG was.

:applaudit:

st33lersguy
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Anyone who thinks Leftwich is still the better option is nuts

zulater
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
how dare you forget Cedrick " Milk Carton " Wilson

Duly noted! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM

And yet, there still hasn't been one person here who has explained why Batch could not beat out Leftwich for the #2 job if you claim he's some kind of "savior."

Batch is not a good QB, and he certainly is not any better than Leftwich. That's my opinion, that was Marianne's opinion, and that opinion stands. It doesn't mean I "hate" the guy, nor does it mean I wouldn't support him if he ends up being the starter. I simply do not have any confidence in him and that if the team DOES win, it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

I'd also like for someone to tell me why I'm wrong to not have any confidence in Batch, but it's NOT wrong to have no confidence in Leftwich. And it isn't just based on last night - it was going on all freaking week long.

zulater
11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
And yet, there still hasn't been one person here who has explained why Batch could not beat out Leftwich for the #2 job if you claim he's some kind of "savior."

No one's claiming he's a saviour. We just think he gives the Steelers a better chance to win than Leftwich. Particularly a noticably injured Leftwich.

And if you can explain to me how Jonathan Scott beat out Max Starks for the starting left tackle spot at the start of the 2010 season, and how Ryan Mundy beat out Will Allen for the all important 3rd safety spot on this years team? Then I'll gladly explain how Batch ended up behind Leftwich on the depth chart.

Batch is not a good QB, and he certainly is not any better than Leftwich. That's my opinion, that was Marianne's opinion, and that opinion stands. It doesn't mean I "hate" the guy, nor does it mean I wouldn't support him if he ends up being the starter. I simply do not have any confidence in him and that if the team DOES win, it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

Stating you have no confidence in him is entirely fair. Saying that if the team wins with Charlie at the helm it would be "in spite of him" is absolutely not fair.

I'd also like for someone to tell me why I'm wrong to not have any confidence in Batch, but it's NOT wrong to have no confidence in Leftwich. And it isn't just based on last night - it was going on all freaking week long.

Again fair. Difference of opinion is fine and supportable by facts for both sides. Calling him Botch and claiming he has no relevance to any win he's been part of, not fair.

GodfatherofSoul
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Leftwich has repeatedly beaten out Batch for the #2 spot which has to mean something. But, Leftwich has also been pretty brittle and Batch has come in and played well with him out. Just because 2 > 3 doesn't mean #3 sucks. Lefty probably could've beaten the Ravens w/o the rib injury; he shorted 2-3 game changing wide open receivers including a potential win. That being said, I don't recall ever seeing Batch have a late implosion like that. Even when he almost beat the Ravens, it was a last drive INT in crunch time and not consistent inaccuracy we saw from Lefty late in the game.

bayz101
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
The coaching staff was obviously trying to move the older Batch out, and the younger Leftwich in. Lefty's been on the team for a little while, and I believe they're trying to work Batch into a lesser role. That doesn't change the fact that he's been dependable when thrown in the game. He had a good preseason so we know he can throw the damn ball without his arm falling off. :chuckle:

Craic
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
So are you saying Batch has been a liability? Hasn't filled the role he was signed to do? Isn't worth giving a shot if Leftwich is too injured to play effectively?

Nope, I think he's filled in the role of 3rd string QB admirably. And no, I don't think it was worth giving Batch a shot last night, because your own stats below show what happens when a backup that hasn't taken a snap in a few months actually does to this team. It was confirmed last week with Lefty as well. Had Batch taken 30 percent of the snaps from center in practice, then I'd say yeah, Lefty's injured. Pull him out. But if Batch held the clipboard all week, he'd be my very last ditch choice.

The fact of the matter is now, Batch is the QB going into next week. So my hope is that he lights up the Browns. I have a feeling we're going to see about forty 1 and 2 step drops next week.

steelreserve
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM

I don't know if it needs explaining. Last night's abomination pretty much overwhelmed everything prior. Nobody thinks Batch is a "savior," just hopefully less bad than what we saw last night.

It is pretty hard to legitimately argue that we could expect worse from any other QB we throw in there. 47% completion percentage for the season, 55 QB rating, 51 last night. That's Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell territory. That's the same as Maddox when he lost it. Your average backup comes in and is going to throw for a QB rating somewhere in the low or mid 70s, which is about what Batch has done in his career here. Sorry, but if you're trying to convince me someone else is going to do worse than what Leftwich has proven himself to be capable of now, you're facing an uphill battle, whether it's Batch or any other backup.

Dino 6 Rings
11-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Yep, just be a little 'less bad' than the horrible performance last night and we should beat the Browns. That is the only game that matters at this point.

SteelMayhem72
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I look for tyler palko (familiarity) and gerrard to be working out this week and would not be surprised both sign the league minimum...need 3 healthy Qb's on the roster!

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2012, 06:51 PM

sometimes even coaches are wrong. tommy maddox/ben roethlisberger. drew bledsoe/tom brady, trent green/kurt warner. Except were only talking back up qb's :chuckle:

bayz101
11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Even if a free-agent QB singed tomorrow, Batch will still start on Sunday. He's the next man up, and they'll surely respect what he brings to the team enough to give him the nod Sunday. Any other signings at QB this week will simply take QB #2, and it'll likely be someone who's either played for us in the pre-season, or regulated our Practice Squad.

tube517
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Call Randle El.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Call Randle El.

doubt he knows this system and even if he did not sure the few passes he tossed in his career are enough to call him a QB
its been how many years since he played at Indiana and took snaps on a regular basis ?

tube517
11-19-2012, 07:35 PM
doubt he knows this system and even if he did not sure the few passes he tossed in his career are enough to call him a QB
its been how many years since he played at Indiana and took snaps on a regular basis ?

Sorry, was being sarcastic and forgot to put the chuckle smiley :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry, was being sarcastic and forgot to put the chuckle smiley :chuckle:

http://th36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/Plumeyer/th_icon_oops.gif

Devilsdancefloor
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
i have nbo problem with charlie starting for a few games that is really the only reason he is here to win a few games. i hope he retires and does a dick hoak and coaches for the steelers. He is a great guy and this team seems to STEP it up when he comes in for some reason.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
sometimes even coaches are wrong. tommy maddox/ben roethlisberger. drew bledsoe/tom brady, trent green/kurt warner. Except were only talking back up qb's :chuckle:

In all of those cases, though, the backup QB took over when the starter got hurt, and never lost the job again. And in the case of Trent Green, he was actually playing pretty damn well before his knee injury ended his season in 1998 and ushered in the Kurt Warner era. So I'd say the coaches' hands were forced, rather than a mistake being made.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 07:47 PM
In all of those cases, though, the backup QB took over when the starter got hurt, and never lost the job again. And in the case of Trent Green, he was actually playing pretty damn well before his knee injury ended his season in 1998 and ushered in the Kurt Warner era. So I'd say the coaches' hands were forced, rather than a mistake being made.

ok how about Maddox taking over for Kordell ?

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
ok how about Maddox taking over for Kordell ?

That was clearly a mistake by all parties involved, for Kordell to have started for that long when it was obvious to everyone that he sucked balls. One of the biggest failures of the Cowher era.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
That was clearly a mistake by all parties involved, for Kordell to have started for that long when it was obvious to everyone that he sucked balls. One of the biggest failures of the Cowher era.

and then Batch having to rescue us from Maddox after Ben took the job and was hurt and Maddox got the helmet a few years later ....

Moose
11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Where's Randle El ???? LOL

steelpride12
11-20-2012, 08:20 AM
What's it matter when Batch is going to break his hip the second a defender looks at him. :lol:

cold-hard-steel
11-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Why the Batch bashing? He has played well for us and he is what we have.I,ve always been proud of what he has done when called upon.Once again he will have another chance to be in the spot light.I hope some of the disbelievers get their hearts broke when he delivers.YOU GO CHARLIE !!!!!!!

cold-hard-steel
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Bye the way , opinions don't matter , but what you do on the field , when given a chance does. Just sayin.

Edman
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM

The same reason why Hood was benched to start 2011 after playing reasonably well for an ineffective and broken down Aaron Smith, or why Mendenhall has handed the starting job back after Dwyer/Redman have been playing fine. Sometimes you have to see that sometimes politics play a role in personnel decisions.

It's fair if you say you're not comfortable with Batch, that's fine. But to say he's a shitty QB, or give him derisive nicknames like "Botch" when there is clearly evidence to the contrary, is not fair. If Batch is so shitty, how come our other backups can't outperform him? Lefty, Dixon, Maddox, all of them sucked when they came in. There was that Dixon freak against Baltimore in 2009, but he lost the game on an interception. But "Botch" gets the moniker of a terrible backup who screws everything up.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Just because it's "your opinion", doesn't mean I can't say you (and her) are wrong. You (and Marianne's) opinion is unfounded and wrong. That's all there is to it.

touchdownward
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
This one's easy for me, I don't have much confidence in either one. Both seemed to be made of paper machete. Comparing the two is like saying I'd rather get the shits from eating McDonald's rather than suffer the same affliction from eating Burger King.:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
This one's easy for me, I don't have much confidence in either one. Both seemed to be made of paper machete. Comparing the two is like saying I'd rather get the shits from eating McDonald's rather than suffer the same affliction from eating Burger King.:chuckle:

if any QB on the Steelers roster is deemed fragile it should be Leftwich hell he has failed to make it out of training camp with a clean bill of health in the past , and even when he does make it that far has he ever been able to play in more than 1 game in a row since coming here ? ( maybe his first stint but not certain old age setting in and all ) .....

then we get to starting record with the Steelers ... Charlie blows him out of the water in that department as well ....

the choice should have been as clear as the local Gypsy's crystal ball on who to start last week but Tomlin clearly does not believe in clarity or crystal balls ( the closest thing Leftwich has to the conversation is the material of the crystal ball and his entire body ...GLASS )

86WARD
11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Batch isn't good. He's clearly on this team, not for his athletic ability, but for his head. He's got GREAT football knowledge and understanding of the game and is able to help the current QBs. That's why he's on the team. He can't run, he can't throw...he just can't and it shows when he's out there. He has a couple moments, but he has more questionable ones than favorable ones.

I like Batch, I like having him around the team and the QBs. I don't like the idea of him on the field.

X-Terminator
11-20-2012, 11:00 AM
The same reason why Hood was benched to start 2011 after playing reasonably well for an ineffective and broken down Aaron Smith, or why Mendenhall has handed the starting job back after Dwyer/Redman have been playing fine. Sometimes you have to see that sometimes politics play a role in personnel decisions.

It's fair if you say you're not comfortable with Batch, that's fine. But to say he's a shitty QB, or give him derisive nicknames like "Botch" when there is clearly evidence to the contrary, is not fair. If Batch is so shitty, how come our other backups can't outperform him? Lefty, Dixon, Maddox, all of them sucked when they came in. There was that Dixon freak against Baltimore in 2009, but he lost the game on an interception. But "Botch" gets the moniker of a terrible backup who screws everything up.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Just because it's "your opinion", doesn't mean I can't say you (and her) are wrong. You (and Marianne's) opinion is unfounded and wrong. That's all there is to it.

Fine. I'm done with this argument. I think he sucks, you don't.

The end.

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I was not here when the phrase of " Botch " was coined or have no intimate knowledge of why ..... is it possible it was a typo and it grew legs ?

I am clueless of its origin and am curious is all .....

Edman
11-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Batch isn't good. He's clearly on this team, not for his athletic ability, but for his head.

I like Batch, I like having him around the team and the QBs. I don't like the idea of him on the field.

If "Athletic Ability" is what determines the Quality of a QB, then Kordell Stewart should've been a Hall of Famer.

Sometimes the mind is all you need. People like you underestimate Batch and believe he's no good because he's not an imposing figure on the field. We've become accustomed that athletic ability is all a QB needs to be effective.

Guys who use their head last longer than the guys who use their athleticism. Batch has lasted this long because he uses his head, and I'm willing to bet he'll still be here into his 40's BECAUSE he's so smart.

cold-hard-steel
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Maybe we can sign Hines to be our back-up behind Batch.I'm surprised at how some peoples minds function.Clearly Batch is our guy.Sure that we can plan a game that his "elderly" old body can play. The opinion here in Gettysburg is he is the man. Live with it. Or go and buy your own team.

cold-hard-steel
11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe we can get the offensive line to step up and get a running game going. That way all the old man has to do is hand the ball off. How's that for a game plan?

zulater
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I was not here when the phrase of " Botch " was coined or have no intimate knowledge of why ..... is it possible it was a typo and it grew legs ?

I am clueless of its origin and am curious is all .....

No typo or mistake. Our dearly departed Marianne aka HometownGirl, aka Tommy Fan( as she was known on OSMB) one of this board's founders, best posters, and best people ;coined it for reasons of her own. I don't think she meant it in a mean way, but still I never liked that name for Charlie and I told her so.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Batch interview http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Charlie_Batch_1121/2f26975b-15bc-4657-abf1-d4e51ea1a2e9

GBMelBlount
11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Batch is fragile and past his prime but is smart, a good game manager and wins more than he loses.

That's about all there is to it.

It is just a matter of whether people look at charlie and see his glass half full or completely empty.