PDA

View Full Version : CUT Leftwich sign Johnson and start Batch

Dwinsgames
11-18-2012, 10:42 PM
if we are going to have a big tall guy playing QB that is clumsy atleast have one that can throw the ball 40 yards in the air ....

Devilsdancefloor
11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
honestly i do believe he has some rib injury everytime he threw the ball he winced for the life me i do not know why botch wasnt put in

GBMelBlount
11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I would have 100% agreed at the start of the season.

Keep one washed up back up and Johnson who had a 115 pre season passer rating to develop.

I am NOT saying that Johnson is the panacea but until we are ready to risk a high draft choice for Ben's replacement there is no reason to cut a later round quarterback until he shows he cannot cut it.

They certainly gave Dixon every opportunity.

Johnson had given no indication of that at the point he was cut imo.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
how many times has leftwich played and got hurt...just about every damn time. Why do we keep him???

Dwinsgames
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
I would have 100% agreed at the start of the season.

Keep one washed up back up and Johnson who had a 115 pre season passer rating to develop.

I am NOT saying that Johnson is the panacea but until we are ready to risk a high draft choice for Ben's replacement there is no reason to cut a later round quarterback until he shows he cannot cut it.

They certainly gave Dixon every opportunity.

Johnson had given no indication of that at the point he was cut imo.

yet he is flipping burgers by day and pushing carts by night all the while Leftwich is making a million dollars or so to suck ......

GBMelBlount
11-18-2012, 10:52 PM
yet he is flipping burgers by day and pushing carts by night all the while Leftwich is making a million dollars or so to suck ......

I thought Johnson was playing in another league. Regardless, I agree that keeping two washed up qb's and cutting Johnson was very surprising to me.

Craic
11-18-2012, 10:54 PM
honestly i do believe he has some rib injury everytime he threw the ball he winced for the life me i do not know why botch wasnt put in

Cause they wanted the better of the two QB's in. Seriously, I have no idea why Batch hasn't been cut, and then brought back as a QB coach. And as for injury, he's injured about as much as Lefty, so it really doesn't matter which one goes in. I can only hope Ben is ready for the Ravens, because at that point, there won't be any backups left.

GBMelBlount
11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Stats aside, Batch is a better game manager and winner than Lefty.

It really is hard to argue it any other way.

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Almost every team with a very good QB does not have a good backup

The situation of the Colts in 2011 were the worst I've ever seen!

86WARD
11-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Again...$3M and get a good back up. One that can throw the ball. Not an athletic QB, not a fancy QB. Just get a guy that can make some reads, move around a little bit, complete some throws, not "lose" the game and go 2-2 over a 4 game stretch. The Leftwich, Batch, Dixon, Johnson thing is played out...about 3 years past it's time...seriously.

steelreserve
11-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Almost every team with a very good QB does not have a good backup

The situation of the Colts in 2011 were the worst I've ever seen!

They weren't trying, though.

Seriously, though. Leftwich brings NO value at this point. Either dump him or someone throw garbage on his lawn. I'd even take Maddox over that. Wait. No I wouldn't.

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 10:59 PM
The rams in 1999 was really lucky to have Kurt Warner as backup!!

stillers4me
11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Again...$3M and get a good back up. One that can throw the ball. Not an athletic QB, not a fancy QB. Just get a guy that can make some reads, move around a little bit, complete some throws, not "lose" the game and go 2-2 over a 4 game stretch. The Leftwich, Batch, Dixon, Johnson thing is played out...about 3 years past it's time...seriously.

Any suggestions???

GBMelBlount
11-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Again...$3M and get a good back up. One that can throw the ball. Not an athletic QB, not a fancy QB. Just get a guy that can make some reads, move around a little bit, complete some throws, not "lose" the game and go 2-2 over a 4 game stretch.

The Leftwich, Batch, Dixon, Johnson thing is played out...about 3 years past it's time...seriously.

Thanks for breaking away from your 4 year old Wallace thread to let us know this. :chuckle:

86WARD
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
...wow. I see you took a breather from your Wallace thread to post this. LOL.

LMAO..."my Wallace Thread."

Shoes
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I think Mike T. respects his vet players just a bit to much..

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 11:03 PM

Yep, and when a team actually lands a guy like that, they're immediately snapped up in FA, and massively overpaid as some team's newest "savior" that doesn't already have a starting QB worth a damn. (See: Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, etc., etc.)

GBMelBlount
11-18-2012, 11:04 PM
LMAO..."my Wallace Thread."

LOL. I was chuckling when I wrote that.

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I think Mike T. respects his vet players just a bit to much..

No more than Cowher. After all, how long did we have to endure the Kordell Stewart experiment? And if Cowher were still coaching the Steelers, ten bucks says that Porter would STILL be our starting ROLB.

86WARD
11-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Any suggestions???

Matt Moore will probably be a Free Agent (off the top of my head) that would be an upgrade in 2013. Jason Campbell he'd be an upgrade in 2013...I think he only signed a one-year deal. Hell, I'd even consider Drew Stanton if he were out there tomorrow over these two clowns.

st33lersguy
11-18-2012, 11:07 PM
While we are at it, cut Limas Wallace

86WARD
11-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Yep, and when a team actually lands a guy like that, they're immediately snapped up in FA, and massively overpaid as some team's newest "savior" that doesn't already have a starting QB worth a damn. (See: Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, etc., etc.)

No, no, no. Not looking for the next coming of Christ. Just a back up...although, Kevin Kolb might be out there next year. Upgrade over these two.

Shoes
11-18-2012, 11:08 PM
No more than Cowher. After all, how long did we have to endure the Kordell Stewart experiment? And if Cowher were still coaching the Steelers, ten bucks says that Porter would STILL be our starting ROLB.

I agree with that....but I still believe its a bit of an issue...... How about learning from others mistakes.

86WARD
11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Batch is a great sideline guy. Just not on-field material.

stillers4me
11-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Batch is a great sideline guy. Just not on-field material.

He has come through for us more often than not.

Steelermania
11-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Batch has been exactly what you're talking about. Calling him a clown is uncalled for. His problem now is that he's just too old at this point. That said, no one you could get as a backup is going to get the job done long term. Vick's backup got to start today. Utter disaster. Matt Flynn couldn't beat out a rookie. In a league where 1/3 of the starting qb's are terrible, you're not going to find any backups who can get the job done over any significant period of time. Who is the Rat's backup? He's got to suck big time.

steelerdiva
11-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Stats aside, Batch is a better game manager and winner than Lefty.

It really is hard to argue it any other way.

EXACTLY....which is why I do not understand why they did not at least give Batch a try in the second half. He could not have been that much worse.

I was more than willing to back up Lefty and give him a chance. If this QB situation does not straighten out, we can pretty much kiss the playoffs good-bye. #realtalk

NCSteeler
11-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I understand the UFL team Jerrod Johnson has been playing for is closed up shop. Certainly couldn't hurt having a guy who studied and played your system and has been in game shape playing in another league. If I'm in the front office, I've already got him on a plane to the Burgh.

fansince'76
11-19-2012, 12:16 PM
In a league where 1/3 of the starting qb's are terrible...

It's a higher ratio than that...

Craic
11-19-2012, 12:22 PM
I understand the UFL team Jerrod Johnson has been playing for is closed up shop. Certainly couldn't hurt having a guy who studied and played your system and has been in game shape playing in another league. If I'm in the front office, I've already got him on a plane to the Burgh.

Didn't realize that, but the UFL season is over, unless his team made the championship game. Have you followed him? I haven't seen anything of his play in that league.

NCSteeler
11-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Didn't realize that, but the UFL season is over, unless his team made the championship game. Have you followed him? I haven't seen anything of his play in that league.

He lost all 3 games he played in. Not sure what his stats were. But like I said, he showed some promise and he knows the language and could he be worse than Palko (who Floria said we should go for because heknows Haley's system)

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I could care less about what he did in another league with pieces that where at or below his level of play , what I am concerned with is how he played here in this system with these team mates ... comparing apples to apples has always been a preference with me and he out played Leftwich in the preseason in this system with some of these players as team mates

86WARD
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
He has come through for us more often than not.

Come on...Batch is not an NFL QB at this stage...maybe against the Browns, but a competent team...nah...

86WARD
11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Batch has been exactly what you're talking about. Calling him a clown is uncalled for. His problem now is that he's just too old at this point. That said, no one you could get as a backup is going to get the job done long term. Vick's backup got to start today. Utter disaster. Matt Flynn couldn't beat out a rookie. In a league where 1/3 of the starting qb's are terrible, you're not going to find any backups who can get the job done over any significant period of time. Who is the Rat's backup? He's got to suck big time.

No he hasn't. You'd rather have Batch over any of the named QBs in this thread?

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Come on...Batch is not an NFL QB at this stage...maybe against the Browns, but a competent team...nah...

if he is good enough to beat the browns then it is my contention he can beat anyone , the browns have a pretty good def and at times have shown they can play with anyone ... sure they do not look like an official test gauge on the surface but a good showing vs them is as good or better than the average NFL team ... they have just not yet mastered the HOW to win games part of being a good NFL team , I consider the Browns a better measuring stick than many NFL teams right now ....

sure they have just 2 wins but if you look closer they have been in a lot of football games ... Loss by 1 point ...loss by 7...loss by 10.. loss by 7 ... loss by 7 ...loss by 4... loss by 10 ... loss by 3 .......and they have played the Ravens twice , Bengals twice , Chargers , cowboys, eagles , colts and bills , Giants so 9 games thus far against teams with current playoff aspirations ..while they may not be a great team they are far from pushovers they play hard