PDA

View Full Version : The ravens offense score only 3 points

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
but we lose

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-38Or80_CcWg/T2GKmR2YIBI/AAAAAAAAJwE/K2jN2vtuex8/s1600/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
We don't have a QB.

X-Terminator
11-18-2012, 10:38 PM
They scored 6 points, actually.

Count Steeler
11-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Tomlin better get the STs in shape and get a better QB strategy. This season is far from over.

polamalubeast
The first FG was because of the fumble of Wallace....

Edman
Wrong '76. We don't have a BACKUP QB.

No, Batch wasn't going to do anything tonight either.

Tomlin and crew neglected the Backup QB position for years, and it may have cost them dearly. Lefty and Batch need to be let go.

Shoes
11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
We don't have a QB.

Neither do the rats :chuckle:

X-Terminator
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
The first FG was because of the fumble of Wallace....

Offense still scored it.

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM

Tomlin and crew neglected the Backup QB position for years, and it may have cost them dearly. Lefty and Batch need to be let go.

Really? How many backup NFL QBs are worth a shit? Hell, there are only 10-12 STARTING QBs in this league who are actually competent. I accepted the fact that our season was pretty much fucked when Tamba Hali and Justin Houston landed on Ben last Monday night. I was hoping Leftwich would prove me wrong, but tonight was about what I was expecting.

st33lersguy
11-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Why don't we release Byron Loser and try to add a better QB to the roster like Tommy fukin Maddox. I hope people throw trash on the yard of this NFL draft bust who couldn't beat out David Garrard for a starting job. This game is an asterisk. Pittsburgh loses if Ben OR Troy play.

salamander
11-18-2012, 10:43 PM
A backup QB is a backup for a reason. Bottom line is that we better hope that Ben heals quickly.

X-Terminator
11-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Really? How many backup NFL QBs are worth a shit? Hell, there are only 10-12 STARTING QBs in this league who are actually competent.

Yeah, and one of the starting QBs we'd actually consider "competent" threw 5 picks today. And do I need to mention Nick Foles looking like crap against the Redskins? Or both Cardinals' QBs looking worse than the worst college QB?

No, there aren't many decent backups out there. At all.

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Offense still scored it.

The ravens were already in the red zone

not the fault of the defense

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 10:51 PM
No, there aren't many decent backups out there. At all.

There aren't that many decent starters out there either, when you come right down to it. That's why guys like Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn wind up getting ridiculously overpaid when they luck into a good game here and there in relief.

stillers4me
11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Byron was obviously hurting the entire game. He hasn't played an entire game in how many years....it is what it is.

tube517
11-18-2012, 10:58 PM
There aren't that many decent starters out there either, when you come right down to it. That's why guys like Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn wind up getting ridiculously overpaid when they luck into a good game here and there in relief.

Blame Rob Johnson for that crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Byron was obviously hurting the entire game. He hasn't played an entire game in how many years....it is what it is.

I agree. He also looked winded and out of shape.

Seven
11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
The defense played close to flawless football. Offense couldn't perform. Should have played it conservatively as I suggested all week.

zulater
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM

Why does Batch need to be let go? Last I saw of him in a game he looked fine to me.

Crow-Magnon
11-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Ravens backup QB is Tyrod Taylor. 'Nuff said.

stillers4me
11-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Batch did fine against St Louis last year. Yeah yeah...St Louis is crap.

Did you happen to notice how we played against KC last week????? With Ben??????

SteelerEmpire
11-19-2012, 06:54 AM
The defense has really came around. Lewis is turning into a threat at CB. The team has learned to play without Troy. If the D could EVER begin to create turnovers (outside of turnovers on downs) it would be excellent.

NJarhead
11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Anyone else notice how far back the Ravens Guards & Tackles were from center? Each guards helmet was barely aligned with Mat Birks butt. From what I recall about the rule, their helmets can't be any further back than the mid-section of the man to the inside of them.

Considering no flags were thrown and Tomlin said nothing, I'm thinking maybe there's a little more to the rule.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 10:43 AM

exactly the Ravens gained 1 total yard on 3 plays prior to kicking that FG ..... real hard to pin that one on our defense ...in my mind the Steeler O gave up 3 points , the Steelers D gave up 3 points and the ST gave up 7 .. to a team that hung 50 something on the raiders last week ...we lost in spite of a terrific Defensive performance ... Blame the coaching staff for not Starting C.B. who may not be a great QB but is twice the QB leftwich is ... nobody can convince me Batch is not the better QB of the two ( that has been my thinking all along not just since last night )

Crow-Magnon
11-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Maybe if Ben is still out Batch will start in Baltimore in two weeks.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 11:20 AM
exactly the Ravens gained 1 total yard on 3 plays prior to kicking that FG ..... real hard to pin that one on our defense ...in my mind the Steeler O gave up 3 points , the Steelers D gave up 3 points and the ST gave up 7 .. to a team that hung 50 something on the raiders last week ...we lost in spite of a terrific Defensive performance ... Blame the coaching staff for not Starting C.B. who may not be a great QB but is twice the QB leftwich is ... nobody can convince me Batch is not the better QB of the two ( that has been my thinking all along not just since last night )

If Batch is twice the QB Leftwich is, why didn't he beat him out for the #2 job? Can anyone answer that for me? I don't think either slot was defaulted to them, so the coaches must have thought Leftwich was the better QB throughout training camp.

Anyway, even though the D was already in the red zone for that first FG, it still counts against them. Yeah, it was Wallace's fault for putting them in that position, but it doesn't change the outcome. It's not fair, but that's the way it is.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 11:31 AM
If Batch is twice the QB Leftwich is, why didn't he beat him out for the #2 job? Can anyone answer that for me? I don't think either slot was defaulted to them, so the coaches must have thought Leftwich was the better QB throughout training camp.

Good point but to answer a question with a question why did James Harrison sit on the bench behind Joey Porter and Clark Haggans when it was evident to any avid steeler fan Harrison was on the rise ( and cream always rises to the top ) after Harrison hit the field in Cleveland and not only helped defeat the Browns but body slammed one of their fans in the process ..... answer is blatant miss evaluation

zulater
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Good point but to answer a question with a question why did James Harrison sit on the bench behind Joey Porter and Clark Haggans when it was evident to any avid steeler fan Harrison was on the rise ( and cream always rises to the top ) after Harrison hit the field in Cleveland and not only helped defeat the Browns but body slammed one of their fans in the process ..... answer is blatant miss evaluation

Here's a few more. Deshea Townsend sitting behind Dewayne Washington. Or if you want to cite our current coaches, Jonathan Scott over Max Starks in 2010. And if you want to make it even more current Ryan Mundy over Will Allen for the first few games this year. Who do you think the better player is now?

And more to the point maybe Leftwich is better than Batch. If he's healthy. But last night clearly he was hurting, and just as clear it was affecting his game. And I don't care who you are, no one is telling me Leftwich at 75-80% is as good as a healthy Batch.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Here's a few more. Deshea Townsend sitting behind Dewayne Washington. Or if you want to cite our current coaches, Jonathan Scott over Max Starks in 2010. And if you want to make it even more current Ryan Mundy over Will Allen for the first few games this year. Who do you think the better player is now?

And more to the point maybe Leftwich is better than Batch. If he's healthy. But last night clearly he was hurting, and just as clear it was affecting his game. And I don't care who you are, no one is telling me Leftwich at 75-80% is as good as a healthy Batch.

Chris Hope sitting behind Mike Logan , Mike Vrable playing out his rookie deal and never garnering playing time that amounted to a hill of beans , Old man Willie Williams not getting the call for how long when he was clearly an upgrade and in the end it was proven .. the list goes on and on and on just because they are the coaches does not mean they are always right either

Craic
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
There is more than physical talent involved. Deshea Townsend behind Dewayne Washington - but for how long. And why? Did it take that long for him to pick up the system? Was he able to adjust to the Steelers defense and show it in camp? Remember, that making these choices often times is more about going with the devil you know, then the devil you don't. Scott over Starks is easy. Starks sucked. He'd already lost his starting job to Willie Colon. He was lazy, bent at the waist, and put out about 60% of the effort he was capable of. The best thing the coaches did was cut him. He goes, gets in shape, readjusts his attitude, and pushes his game up one if not two levels - especially on pass blocking. Coming into this year, Mundy over Allen = who was better in camp? My guess, is that Mundy was better/knew the assignments better in camp. Like I said, it takes time to learn the system and also time to develop. On top of all that, when the opportunity comes, some players know how to rise to the challenge and grab it, increasing their play along the way.

As far as Harrison is concerned - He was just coming to the point where he knew how to play LB in the NFL. Sure, he had a good game, but you don't throw your top LB over the cliff for one or two decent games - especially for a player that was 28 at the time, and cut three or four times. No one knew if he just hit a hot streak, or if he was going to be able to play at that level for a good period of time.

Hey Zu - I love it when your rational thinking kicks in, because your posts make a ton more sense (dang - that sounded snotty, didn't mean it that way). I agree with you here, except for one thing. I don't think that Batch, coming in cold after not taking any snaps during practice, would have done much better - especially when it comes to protecting the ball. Now, if Lefty is still injured next week, I think Batch is obviously the choice over an injured Lefty - especially if Batch has been taking snaps all week with the first team.

X-Terminator
11-19-2012, 02:45 PM

I will give you that Leftwich should have been pulled when it was clear he was injured, though I don't think Batch would have been any better.

JayC
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
a full week of practice didn't help leftwich. he stunk just as much as last week. time for batch to start IMO

zulater
11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I will give you that Leftwich should have been pulled when it was clear he was injured, though I don't think Batch would have been any better.

Two broken ribs. Tomlin looks like a real idiot imo for not going to the bench last night. How the hell could he not see the obvious? Leftwich was hurting big time, and as a result gave the team no chance to win.

- - - Updated - - -

I would imagine they'll put Leftwich on the IR and in effect end his NFL career.

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Two broken ribs. Tomlin looks like a real idiot imo for not going to the bench last night. How the hell could he not see the obvious? Leftwich was hurting big time, and as a result gave the team no chance to win.

- - - Updated - - -

I would imagine they'll put Leftwich on the IR and in effect end his NFL career.

OMG that bad? do you have a link. hope he gets well soon

zulater
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
OMG that bad? do you have a link. hope he gets well soon

quarterback Byron Leftwich fractured two ribs early in Sunday night's 13-10 loss to the Ravens and is unlikely to start this week, according to team and league sources.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8653245/byron-leftwich-pittsburgh-steelers-ribs-likely-sources-say

BnG_Hevn
11-22-2012, 11:49 AM

That akin to saying the WR is responsible for an INT.

When a QB throws the ball, if it's an INT it is on the QB, NOT the WR.

Just like when a WR takes a 5 yard dump pass 80 yards for a TD, the QB gets the credit for that too.

You take the good with the bad. If the defense wants to thump their chest then they should have not just stopped them but taken the ball from them.

If you don't want to credit the defense for giving up the FG, then you can't credit the defense for getting a safety when a punt puts the opponents inside their 2 yard line.

Again, you take the good with the bad.

Psycho Ward 86
11-22-2012, 05:01 PM

lol

zulater
11-23-2012, 05:55 AM
That akin to saying the WR is responsible for an INT.

Statistically speaking it is, but quite often the wr is more responsible for an interception.

And of course to address the earliar point, if the offense gives the other team possession of a ball at your 12 yard line, whether the points cvount against the defense or not, you hold them to a fg there and that's a big win for the defense. There's not a coach in the league that wont be happy for that result every single time. Particularly in the first half.

The defense bears no responsability for anything more than 3 points against the Ravens. (or 6 if the Ravens had a better fg kicker) Regardless the defense put up a winning performance, the offense and special teams did not, and that's why we lost.

BnG_Hevn
11-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Statistically is what I'm talking about, I thought that was clear.

Psycho Ward 86
11-23-2012, 11:57 AM
that wasnt clear in anyway at all