PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben likely out 3 weeks

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers doctors are hopeful, though hardly optimistic, that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to return from his rib and shoulder injuries for their team's next game against the Baltimore Ravens on Dec. 2, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Steelers doctors believe Roethlisberger will miss three weeks, though the team has not abandoned hope that he may miss only two games and be able to return for the rematch against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger has been ruled out of Sunday night's game against the Ravens and is not expected to play next Sunday at Cleveland.

Though Roethlisberger said the injury to his first rib on his right side threatened his aorta, a source said doctors believe the greater threat is to the surrounding arteries, vessels and soft tissue.

Roethlisberger was in as much pain Friday as he was Monday, a source said, and the timetable for his return is somewhat unpredictable. The injury is rare and needs to heal itself -- there's no treatment or procedure that can fix it quicker.

While Roethlisberger will miss Sunday night's game, running back Rashard Mendenhall will return and will start against Baltimore.

And safety Ryan Clark, who has suffered two concussions in the last three weeks, told ESPN that he will wear a special helmet which is one size bigger than usual and packed with bullet-proof Kevlar against the Ravens.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8648415/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-likely-3-weeks-source?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

zulater
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
A lot depends on how the next few weeks go, but in all honesty if they can hold Ben back to the last two games of the season and not jeapordize their playoff status that's what I would do. I don't want to see Ben behind center in Dallas with number 94 ready to kill him! Our last two games are in Pittsburgh against familiar division rivals ( Bengals and Browns). I like our chances to get him through those two games and have him healthy and sharp for a good playoff run.

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Glazer just now: "Anyone who tells you what (Roethlisberger's) timetable is has no idea what he's talking about." So, there's that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBurke_SI/status/270211383499579392?p=v

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I will be very surprised if he takes another snap this season...like ive said before "ive heard"p

- - - Updated - - -

I will be very surprised if he takes another snap this season...like ive said before "ive heard"p ive heard there is no procedure to fix it...sorry for the previous post...im typing from my phone and messed up

X-Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I will be very surprised if he takes another snap this season...like ive said before "ive heard"p

- - - Updated - - -

ive heard there is no procedure to fix it...sorry for the previous post...im typing from my phone and messed up

There isn't. Time is the only thing that can heal it. Personally, I don't expect him back until Christmas weekend at the earliest. That's 5 weeks from today.

Edman
11-18-2012, 12:11 PM
If Ben sits out the next two games, he'll be back for Baltimore Round 2.

He is not some Joe Shmoe sitting on a couch. He is a fit pro athlete with access to the best medicine. He's also had ridiculously dramatized injuries. This "injury may potentially kill him" talk is proof of this.

As long as the Steelers don't make the mistake of rushing him back, like playing him against Cleveland, he'll be good.

steelreserve
11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I'd just hoping he can be back by the playoffs. With our schedule, we ought to be able to go about .500 from here on out with a backup, which is all it should take to get in.

tube517
11-18-2012, 02:32 PM
If Ben sits out the next two games, he'll be back for Baltimore Round 2.

He is not some Joe Shmoe sitting on a couch. He is a fit pro athlete with access to the best medicine. He's also had ridiculously dramatized injuries. This "injury may potentially kill him" talk is proof of this.

As long as the Steelers don't make the mistake of rushing him back, like playing him against Cleveland, he'll be good.

And that's the key. They've done that in the past.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I'd just hoping he can be back by the playoffs. With our schedule, we ought to be able to go about .500 from here on out with a backup, which is all it should take to get in. I dont see this scenario at all even though it would be nice...cleveland is a good football team so is cincy and dallas...we will be extremely lucky to go .500 the rest of the way...would be nice to though. Cleveland has played well all year its just their record doesnt show it. Have them twice,plus cincy,dallas,ravens twice plus san diego...winning half those games would we very wishful thinking without Ben on the field.

steelpride12
11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Ben's a trooper. I honestly 100% care about his health and hope he sits till his injuries have healed, but he will do whatever it takes to get back on the field when he feels ready. Honest I think he'll be back in 3 weeks like the report says. Coming back against the Ravens part 2 just seems too early for such an extensive injury, but I still like our chances of the playoffs even though Cincy is starting to pile on the wins toward the final wildcard spot.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Key to all this is how well our defense plays...we r not gonna cut it with a Ben-less offense!

Count Steeler
11-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Key to all this is how well our defense plays...we r not gonna cut it with a Ben-less offense!

With our re-emerged running game and Lefty/Batch at the helm, we should be able to score 20 per game. Our D has recently been keeping opponents to less than 17. While not ideal, I like our chances of at least making the playoffs.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
With our re-emerged running game and Lefty/Batch at the helm, we should be able to score 20 per game. Our D has recently been keeping opponents to less than 17. While not ideal, I like our chances of at least making the playoffs. Our re-emerging running game?? Just because we get mendy back is nothing...we were pitiful against the chiefs with our BETTER backs dwyer/redman! I like your optimism but 20 points per game?? Teams are gonna load the box and dare lefty to throw...we were already averaging that many points per game...there is gonna be some dropoff in points with no Ben! Our Defense has been playing well against sub par offenses...we will be tested big time against a much better ravens offense!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course this is IMHO and subject for debate...lol

Count Steeler
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Our re-emerging running game?? Just because we get mendy back is nothing...we were pitiful against the chiefs with our BETTER backs dwyer/redman! I like your optimism but 20 points per game?? Teams are gonna load the box and dare lefty to throw...we were already averaging that many points per game...there is gonna be some dropoff in points with no Ben! Our Defense has been playing well against sub par offenses...we will be tested big time against a much better ravens offense!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course this is IMHO and subject for debate...lol

Proof will be in the pudding tonight. I look for Mendy to have a monster game.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Proof will be in the pudding tonight. I look for Mendy to have a monster game. I hope your right count!!!

86WARD
11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
With our re-emerged running game and Lefty/Batch at the helm, we should be able to score 20 per game. Our D has recently been keeping opponents to less than 17. While not ideal, I like our chances of at least making the playoffs.

Sounds about right...

steel striker
11-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking Ben might be back for the playoffs and, we all know he will try to make this happen.