PDA

View Full Version : Wallace predicts Ravens-Steelers game full of ‘finesse’

stillers4me
11-17-2012, 07:21 AM
The Ravens-Steelers series never has been known for finesse football.

Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) wide receiver Mike Wallace wonders if it might be now.

The Ravens-Steelers rivalry is arguably the NFL’s most physical, as evidenced by some of the big hits in the series — Ryan Clark’s concussion-causing hit on Willis McGahee; Haloti Ngata’s fist to the face that broke Ben Roethlisberger’s nose.

But with some of the bigger hitters missing, Mike Wallace won’t be surprised to see a different type of game Sunday night at Heinz Field, when the Ravens (7-2) and Steelers (6-3) meet for first place in the AFC North.
“When you think Ravens-Steelers, you think about Hines (Ward), you think about Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy (Polamalu), you think about (James Harrison), Terrell Suggs, guys like that,” Wallace said. “It’s more of finesse Ravens-Steelers game now because there’s a lot more skinny guys.” ..............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2972749-85/steelers-ravens-wallace-finesse-think-game-guys-mike-series-lewis#ixzz2CUB3M2nw

Crow-Magnon
11-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I predict NOT.

It may not be as brutal as in years past, but finesse? I think not.

I see plenty of Rice and Mendenhall up the gut, blitzes galore and the standard smashmouth game we are all used to.

Seven
11-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Shut up Mike, you had three catches last week. This offense isn't finesse anymore in a normal week - forget it when we play Baltimore.

Edman
11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Mike Wallace running his mouth again after doing nothing. He's never done anything against the Ravens.

Watch him be limited to minimal gains.

GodfatherofSoul
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Shut up Mike, you had three catches last week. This offense isn't finesse anymore in a normal week - forget it when we play Baltimore.

What's 3 catches in a game from your #1 WR if not "finese" lol?

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
What are you guys talking about? The nfls offenses are finesse, teams no longer rely on bruising rb's to grind clock its all about speed and quickness. Teams dont try and run it over teams in power formations, they spread defenses out and play matchups. The hitting might be physical and it may get chippy but the gameplans will be finesse, it wont be 2 yards and a cloud of dust type offense even with ben out.

Seven
11-17-2012, 11:37 AM
What are you guys talking about? The nfls offenses are finesse, teams no longer rely on bruising rb's to grind clock its all about speed and quickness. Teams dont try and run it over teams in power formations, they spread defenses out and play matchups. The hitting might be physical and it may get chippy but the gameplans will be finesse, it wont be 2 yards and a cloud of dust type offense even with ben out.

Right, because 66 yards receiving from Wallace, Sanders and Cotchery combined last week just screams of winning matchups.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Right, because 66 yards receiving from Wallace, Sanders and Cotchery combined last week just screams of winning matchups.

just because we didnt execute doesnt mean are gameplan wasnt finesse. 95 yds rushing by four different people doest exactly scream smash mouth. 16 completions to 8 different recievers shows me yes they were looking for matchups and check downs.

Seven
11-17-2012, 12:05 PM
just because we didnt execute doesnt mean are gameplan wasnt finesse. 95 yds rushing by four different people doest exactly scream smash mouth. 16 completions to 8 different recievers shows me yes they were looking for matchups and check downs.

So a 2 yard gain from a check down pass is better than "2 yards and a cloud of dust"?

Yes, let's go ahead and have a finesse gameplan. With our backup quarterback, against one of the worst run defenses in the league, just as our backfield is finally getting healthy. Great idea.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 12:15 PM
So a 2 yard gain from a check down pass is better than "2 yards and a cloud of dust"?

Yes, let's go ahead and have a finesse gameplan. With our backup quarterback, against one of the worst run defenses in the league, just as our backfield is finally getting healthy. Great idea.

no but its a finesse gameplan its not smashmouth, and yes our gameplan will be finesse it will not be power I run it up the gut.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 12:21 PM

In fact, i think running smashmouth gameplan would be worse having our backup qb in there. If you dont pick up solid yardage on first and second down the you are constantly putting your backup in 3rd and long situations. i think haley will spread the defense and try to give leftwich alot of short options that will pick up solid yardage on first and second down and present a low turnover risk. After a steady diet of this he will take his shots deep.

Seven
11-17-2012, 12:21 PM
no but its a finesse gameplan its not smashmouth, and yes our gameplan will be finesse it will not be power I run it up the gut.

Why wouldn't we gameplan to run it right down their throats? Ngata is injured, Lewis is done and the entire Ravens run defense sucks right now. Why the hell would we ignore that and let Leftwich play "finesse" for Ed Reed to have a field day? I think you have to give Coach Haley a little more credit than that.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Why wouldn't we gameplan to run it right down their throats? Ngata is injured, Lewis is done and the entire Ravens run defense sucks right now. Why the hell would we ignore that and let Leftwich play "finesse" for Ed Reed to have a field day? I think you have to give Coach Haley a little more credit than that.

Because you think they are just going to let us do that with our back up in there? No they are going to stack the box and make leftwich try and beat them, so we will have to pass.

X-Terminator
11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Wow, the hate Wallace gets for doing or saying anything anymore is getting downright ridiculous. Some of you guys really need to take a chill pill. His holdout ended a long time ago...no need to keep bashing the guy because of it.

Seven
11-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Because you think they are just going to let us do that with our back up in there? No they are going to stack the box and make leftwich try and beat them, so we will have to pass.

You're over-thinking it. Of course we'll have to pass. We can't just line up and run dives for four quarters. But to have a pass-central gameplan would be really getting too cute. Haley tried it last week and it backfired. The Ravens are one of the worst run defenses in the league. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to make yards even with eight guys in the box. If it doesn't work, take some shots and back them off. But to act like we're going to come out there in the spread seems rather silly to me.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 12:38 PM
You're over-thinking it. Of course we'll have to pass. We can't just line up and run dives for four quarters. But to have a pass-central gameplan would be really getting too cute. Haley tried it last week and it backfired. The Ravens are one of the worst run defenses in the league. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to make yards even with eight guys in the box. If it doesn't work, take some shots and back them off. But to act like we're going to come out there in the spread seems rather silly to me.

If we dont spread the ravens out and let them keep 8 in the box we will lose. They do not have a good run defense is true but not because teams are lining up in the I and running them over, its because teams are spreading them out playing matchups and shredding them out of single back sets. With ngata out you try and take advantage, you dont let them move more defenders into the box and try to run them over.

Seven
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
If we dont spread the ravens out and let them keep 8 in the box we will lose. They do not have a good run defense is true but not because teams are lining up in the I and running them over, its because teams are spreading them out playing matchups and shredding them out of single back sets. With ngata out you try and take advantage, you dont let them move more defenders into the box and try to run them over.

The Chiefs did exactly what they did to us against Baltimore. Jamaal Charles had 31 carries and Shaun Draughn had 12. They rushed for over 180 yards. That's only one exmaple. Ask any Ravens fan, that team is getting pounded week after week.

Psycho Ward 86
11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Why the hell would we ignore that and let Leftwich play "finesse" for Ed Reed to have a field day? I think you have to give Coach Haley a little more credit than that.

because ed reed has a big shoulder injury and has been reportedly running slower and wiffing tackles if there are other players to make the play around him because of it? And Webb is out, Smith is out, and Pollard sucks in coverage, we can go both ways here attacking the ravens i dont know what youre so concerned about. they could stop (or not stop) the run as easily as they could (or couldnt) the pass. Ngata essentially was rested by Harbaugh much of the ravens game so he might play better this time around

Craic
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I think it would help if the two of you defined your terms.

What is "smashmouth" and what is "finesse." Because in reality, there's no reason why both concept can't be employed in the same game, or even in the same drive. Matter of fact, with the speed and power of defenses, they both must be employed or a team won't go very far.

Smashmouth, to me, is the same as facing Randy Johnson in his prime during the playoffs in a rare closing role (he did it a couple times). Everyone in the building, everyone watching TV, heck, everyone in Antarctica knew that that he was going to chuck 99 MPH fastballs with a few sliders thrown in. There was no guessing. It was just "See if you can hit it" chucking the ball. Smashmouth is the same way to me. Line up with 2 or three TE's, broadcast to the world that your running up the middle, or off a tackle, and then go do it, imposing your will on the other team. The second you start throwing in things to obscure what your doing, you start moving to "finesse." Three wide to draw people out of the box, and then run to the week side? Your depending on finesse of being able to sell it as a run play before the play begins (which means that you've necessarily ran three wide in previous plays). Play action? Are routes timed? Yep, finesse to a greater or lesser degree.

On the other side of that, throwing the football isn't necessarily finesse. There wasn't anything finesse about throwing a screen to Ward and watching him run over people. Everyone knew those screens were coming - and it was simply Ward imposing his will. Heck, many of the short slants are a combination - finesse in timing, then depending on the receivers-or more often, a TE or FB to impose their will on DB's and run over them for a first down.

This purity "smashmouth" vs. "finesse" is really an argument that belongs back in the 80's. Neither game in it's purity will get a team to the playoffs anymore, let alone win a SB.

Seven
11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I never used the term smashmouth. All I am suggesting is that it would be silly to come out with a "finesse" gameplan when the other team hasn't stopped the run all season and our featured back is returning. Obviously you can't come out and run the ball 80 consecutive snaps, but why would you choose to make the focal point of your offense a backup quarterback with the circumstances that are at hand? I have no issue with running plenty of play action as well as non-PA patterns that take advantage of Byron's arm strength. But to come out in a spread and try to work the ball down the field with receivers who couldn't get separation from guys like Kendrick Lewis and Javier Arenas last week just isn't playing the odds. If Ngata mans up and stuffs the middle, then fine - let Leftwich loose all you want.

I'm not saying we impliment a "smashmouth" gameplan, I'm saying we run a balanced attack taking advantage of the fact that the Ravens cannot stop the run.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I think it would help if the two of you defined your terms.

What is "smashmouth" and what is "finesse." Because in reality, there's no reason why both concept can't be employed in the same game, or even in the same drive. Matter of fact, with the speed and power of defenses, they both must be employed or a team won't go very far.

Smashmouth, to me, is the same as facing Randy Johnson in his prime during the playoffs in a rare closing role (he did it a couple times). Everyone in the building, everyone watching TV, heck, everyone in Antarctica knew that that he was going to chuck 99 MPH fastballs with a few sliders thrown in. There was no guessing. It was just "See if you can hit it" chucking the ball. Smashmouth is the same way to me. Line up with 2 or three TE's, broadcast to the world that your running up the middle, or off a tackle, and then go do it, imposing your will on the other team. The second you start throwing in things to obscure what your doing, you start moving to "finesse." Three wide to draw people out of the box, and then run to the week side? Your depending on finesse of being able to sell it as a run play before the play begins (which means that you've necessarily ran three wide in previous plays). Play action? Are routes timed? Yep, finesse to a greater or lesser degree.

On the other side of that, throwing the football isn't necessarily finesse. There wasn't anything finesse about throwing a screen to Ward and watching him run over people. Everyone knew those screens were coming - and it was simply Ward imposing his will. Heck, many of the short slants are a combination - finesse in timing, then depending on the receivers-or more often, a TE or FB to impose their will on DB's and run over them for a first down.

This purity "smashmouth" vs. "finesse" is really an argument that belongs back in the 80's. Neither game in it's purity will get a team to the playoffs anymore, let alone win a SB.

Its a finesse gameplan that is run by every nfl team, except the jets who tried to be an old school smashmouth team. smashmouth is basically power formations run run pass, finesse would be multiple packages spread the defense wether your running or passing, all teams do it so i dont know why mike wallace would need to shut his mouth about it.

st33lersguy
11-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Hey Limas Wallace? How many drops you gonna have tomorrow night?

Shoes
11-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow, the hate Wallace gets for doing or saying anything anymore is getting downright ridiculous. Some of you guys really need to take a chill pill. His holdout ended a long time ago...no need to keep bashing the guy because of it.

+ 1.....at times it sounds to me that some view the Steeler organization as a cult.

Seven
11-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Told you so...