PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to play to Leftwich’s strengths

polamalubeast
11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
There’s probably not a quarterback better equipped to run Todd Haley’s “dink-and-dunk” offense than Charlie Batch.

So when Ben Roethlisberger went down with a shoulder/rib injury, forcing him out of the lineup for the foreseeable future, including Sunday night’s game against Baltimore, it created a buzz that the 37-year-old Batch should leapfrog the strong-armed Byron Leftwich and become the starter in Haley’s short-passing attack.

That would merit consideration if there was, in fact, a “Haley” offense.

Haley reiterated Thursday that his is not a scheme-oriented offense; he instead plays to the strengths of his personnel.

Haley showed that as a coordinator in Arizona and as head coach in Kansas City. Now he will have a chance to will prepare a game plan around Leftwich, who hasn’t started a game in more than three years.

Translation: The dink-and-dunk will be scaled back for at least a couple weeks.

“When I say it is not a system, it is not a system,” Haley said. “It is the way I’ve been brought up to coach, and the way you maximize the players you have is you better play to their strengths. So when Byron is in there, we’re going to do our best to cater to his strengths.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2965182-85/leftwich-batch-haley-game-strengths-roethlisberger-byron-changes-chance-coach#ixzz2CLGBGBGq
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GoSlash27
11-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Tunch Ilkin is gonna corner Mark Kaboly out by the swingsets at lunch and push him down. :flap:

GoSlash27
11-15-2012, 08:53 PM
It's not a "system". Haley is just adapting the playbook to suit his players.
He'll alter it a little to work for Lefty, but honestly Lefty will simplify things rather than complicate them.
Besides, what choice do we have? It's not like we can start Ben.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
“We’re going to do our best to cater to Byron’s strengths as opposed to trying to force square pegs into round holes,” Haley said.

DO we need to start a Haley-isms thread? :lol:

tube517
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
“We’re going to do our best to cater to Byron’s strengths as opposed to trying to force square pegs into round holes,” Haley said.

DO we need to start a Haley-isms thread? :lol:

He's been hanging around Tomlin too much. :heh:

Craic
11-16-2012, 12:38 AM
My guess is that we're going to see a good number of play-action bombs to Wallace. Every complains of Lefty's windup, and they have cause. However, his fastball is brutal - if Wallace can get free, I think we can put up quite a few points, especially if the Ravens come in thinking run.

steelreserve
11-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Looks like we'll see quite a few 60-yard bombs. This is where Wallace gets a chance to earn all that Redskins $$$$.

Also, let's hope Lefty figures out how to dial it back a notch or two. Yes, we know you've got a cannon, and winging it 65 yards downfield on a frozen rope is impressive. It's much less impressive when the receiver only had a chance to run 55 yards, though.

Seven
11-16-2012, 01:30 AM
If nothing else, the realization that the offense is going to have to operate a little differently under Leftwich is a good sign. Too many coaches would simply say "we run our offense" and that would be the end of it.

Moose
11-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Looks like we'll see quite a few 60-yard bombs. This is where Wallace gets a chance to earn all that Redskins $$$$.

Also, let's hope Lefty figures out how to dial it back a notch or two. Yes, we know you've got a cannon, and winging it 65 yards downfield on a frozen rope is impressive. It's much less impressive when the receiver only had a chance to run 55 yards, though.

LMAO ! How true this is.....LOL, damn good point.

Austin87
11-16-2012, 10:32 AM
If nothing else, the realization that the offense is going to have to operate a little differently under Leftwich is a good sign. Too many coaches would simply say "we run our offense" and that would be the end of it.

Good point.

This is the part about Haley that I love, he is evaluating the players on the offense and creating a game plan that plays to their strengths.

steelreserve
11-16-2012, 11:34 AM

I like that about the new guy. Way too many times in the past several years we've tried to force it when things obviously weren't working. That goes for the Parker-or-Nothing running game from about 2005-08, the Big-Dropback-Holding-Sack passing game when the OL was at its worst, or for that matter the Ineffective Hobbling Ben Offense for the 49ers game last year.

Now we can actually make adjustments from game to game, or even *gasp* within the same game if the offense isn't working. Did you notice how from time to time this year, Redman or Dwyer will be having a bad game, and they'll ACTUALLY TRY A DIFFERENT RUNNING BACK? Completely blew my mind.

fansince'76
11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
That goes for the Parker-or-Nothing running game from about 2005-08...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr-hxbfciIj3g8N0j1O2snGOSsZo-9RzGFdZoweSogylGC0cmvFl-3Uv5t

You know you love me, SR!

:lol:

polamalubeast
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr-hxbfciIj3g8N0j1O2snGOSsZo-9RzGFdZoweSogylGC0cmvFl-3Uv5t

You know you love me, SR!

:lol:

or

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2008/09/03/r_31__t400.jpg?fd5af0684d698ce74dd4392bafb4f89a6dc 66ee3

steelreserve
11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
This. This was one of the happiest sights I've seen as a football fan.

http://images.tbd.com/biopictures/parkerw-ap-090210_606.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM

is that an avatar of leftwich playing on that broken leg back at marshall?

Steeldude
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Thankfully Arians is gone. He made it quite clear his game plan never changes, regardless of the situation.

Hopefully they keep Suggs under control.

Count Steeler
11-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Thankfully Arians is gone. He made it quite clear his game plan never changes, regardless of the situation.

Hopefully they keep Suggs under control.

Max has to step up his game for sure. He has handled Suggs before, but I think Suggs will have more drive, because he has the less mobile Lefty as his target.

86WARD
11-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Suggs hasn't been close to the Suggs of old. Having said that, in sure he'll step it up Sunday Night.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Playing to lefty's strengths, I guess we are running all streaks all day long.

Count Steeler
11-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Playing to lefty's strengths, I guess we are running all streaks all day long.

Wallace should have a big night Sunday.