PDA

View Full Version : Timmons breaks mold of Pittsburgh's linebackers

Count Steeler
11-15-2012, 06:12 PM
CHRIS ADAMSKI, Associated Press:

James Harrison rarely holds back when it comes to controversial comments.

Larry Foote's a congenial chatterbox on and off the field.

And among great Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers of the recent past, Joey Porter was known for his trash talking and James Farrior for his vocal leadership.

Something about the position, maybe.

Then, of course, there's Lawrence Timmons, arguably the best linebacker for the best statistical defense in the NFL. Timmons hardly fits the mold of a loud and rambunctious Steelers linebacker — past or present.

But he's just as productive, if not more. And he will be in focus when his Steelers (6-3) face the Baltimore Ravens (7-2) in an AFC North showdown Sunday night.

"Man, if Lawrence says more than two words to you, I guess you're his friend," Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton quipped. "I might not be his friend. I don't think he's said more than two words to me since he's been here."

Quiet and mild-mannered in the Steelers' locker room, Timmons maintains a steely focus when he's in the heat of battle. And the Steelers will need that this week.

The freakishly athletic former first-round pick is in his fourth season as a starter, but he's still the junior member of a veteran Pittsburgh corps. With Harrison and Foote in their 30s and LaMarr Woodley shaking off nagging hamstring injuries, Timmons has been the Steelers' most consistent playmaker at linebacker.

His interception of Matt Cassel and 23-yard return inside the Kansas City 10-yard line set up the winning field goal early in overtime of a 16-13 victory over the Chiefs Monday.

"He told me that he was one of the top offensive prospects coming out of high school, and I used to deny that," Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "But after that run he made Monday night, I think he's got a point."

The 75-year-old LeBeau chuckled. But he wasn't joking a few moments later when he said, "I think Lawrence has been playing at a Pro Bowl level for several years now."

Timmons has yet to be selected for a Pro Bowl. LeBeau said that's because he's been overshadowed on his own team by the likes of Harrison, Woodley and Farrior, who have seven berths between them.

In the Steelers' 3-4 scheme, it's the outside linebackers who rack up the sacks. Timmons has played there at times for Pittsburgh, but he's settling into his inside spot next to Foote. That hasn't taken away, though, from the versatility that might be his greatest asset.

"I feel like I can fill in anywhere to help the defense," Timmons said. "I love getting put in the game plans and I like being in spaces where I can make plays. That means a lot to me.

Read more: http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/article/Timmons-breaks-mold-of-Pittsburgh-s-linebackers-4041787.php#ixzz2CL7tUudc

GoSlash27
11-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I agree with this. Lawrence Timmons doesn't trash talk or celebrate. He keeps a low profile so offenses forget about him (and how freakishly *fast* he is) until it's too late.
He's sorta like our defense's answer to Heath Miller. He's a star on this team, but hardly anybody outside of Pittsburgh knows it.

tube517
11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
He's sorta like our defense's answer to Heath Miller. He's a star on this team, but hardly anybody outside of Pittsburgh knows it.

Great comparison. These guys are quiet but deadly. Both should be in the Pro Bowl consideration.

jb500ex
11-15-2012, 09:24 PM
if hes a star our defense is in huge trouble because hes a average ilb in this league at best. saying he should be in the pro bowl is laughable obviously people dont wAtch other games. the game the other night had a guy whos far superior

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
this article is pimping timmons more than it should be. he's been struggling to get off blocks and missed plenty of tackles along with some of these plays he's been making. not a pro bowl player. still waiting for that real breakout season.

VTsteel
11-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Timmons is a damn good backer. Maybe hasn't had a real breakout season (though we may be witnessing it this year) - He has been getting better each game.

Lawrence Timmons is the real deal.

katmandu
11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with this. Lawrence Timmons doesn't trash talk or celebrate. He keeps a low profile so offenses forget about him (and how freakishly *fast* he is) until it's too late.
He's sorta like our defense's answer to Heath Miller. He's a star on this team, but hardly anybody outside of Pittsburgh knows it.That's exactly why both these guys are the most under-rated players at their positions in the NFL!

They are not drama ma'mas, loud mouthed obnoxiously overly emotional clowns like a lot of players are.

- - - Updated - - -

Timmons is a damn good backer. Maybe hasn't had a real breakout season (though we may be witnessing it this year) - He has been getting better each game.

Lawrence Timmons is the real deal.LT is one of the best linebackers in coverage in the league!

Austin87
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Timmons is a very good linebacker, maybe not a pro-bowler, but still a very good player.