PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward says Steelers won’t go very far without Roethlisberger

polamalubeast
11-15-2012, 02:01 PM
The good news for the Steelers? As Peter King pointed out on Twitter, they’ve lost their four games against the Ravens when Ben Roethlisberger was injured or suspended by only three points three times and only six points the other time.

The bad news for the Steelers? One of the key players on the teams that faced the Ravens four times without Roethlisberger thinks the Steelers will be sunk without their star quarterback if he’s not available for the two games that are coming up against the Ravens in the next three weeks.

Asked by Pro Football Talk co-host Erik Kuselias how things will go against the Ravens in Roethlisberger’s absence, former Steelers receiver and NBC analyst Hines Ward said, “Not very well for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Going out there, they’ve got to have Ben on the field. One thing about him, to be able to extend plays; get outside the pocket, that’s when he’s at his best. When you lose that element of the game and put Byron in there, a guy who is less mobile, now everybody can just pin back their ears and go with the pass rush and the blitz and they change their dynamics of play calling. So other guys have to go out and still make plays for Byron.”

The bigger picture doesn’t look good, either. Asked how far the Steelers can go without Roethlisberger, Ward said, “Not very far, not very far at all. He is their whole team. He is the leader of their team, he makes the offense go and all the guys around him, he makes them better. If Ben’s not on the field its very hard for the Pittsburgh Steelers to go to where they want to go.”

That’s not very good news for the Steelers, who while only one game behind the Ravens are only a couple of losses removed from the scrum that will emerge for the No. 6 seed in the AFC.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/13/hines-ward-says-steelers-wont-go-very-far-without-roethlisberger/

tube517
11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Hines channeling his inner Jerome Bettis "reporting".

HollywoodSteel
11-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't see anything particularly controversial or wrongheaded with Ward's statement. What team in the NFL would go very far without their starting QB? The Texans were a very complete team last year, and were lucky that they had acquired a lot of wins before Schaub went down. They even managed to win a home playoff game against a not ready for prime time Bengals team. But we all knew they weren't going very far.

Our only hope is that Ben's injury is not season ending and that we can weather the storm and get healthy for a wild card run.

GoSlash27
11-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Can't be mad at Hines for saying this.
#1 it's the obvious conventional wisdom statement.
#2 he can't look like a Steelers homer by contradicting it
#3 it will serve as motivation in the locker room, and maybe make the Ratbirds relax a little.

Moose
11-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Hines more/less spoke the words that we all thought when Ben's results were made known. Now we all have to sit back and watch whether or not the coaching staff can make 'Lefty believers' out of us. Go STEELERS

Austin87
11-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Hines just telling it like it is.

zulater
11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Hines just telling it like it is.

Or how he thinks it is. Which is fine by me. But the story hasn't been wrote yet. In 2010 no one thought this team would open up 3-1 without Ben, but they did. So who knows? Maybe this team will surprise everyone.

polamalubeast
11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Or how he thinks it is. Which is fine by me. But the story hasn't been wrote yet. In 2010 no one thought this team would open up 3-1 without Ben, but they did. So who knows? Maybe this team will surprise everyone.

The defense was incredible in 2010 without Roethlisberger

Against the 13-3 falcons, the Steelers defense had allowed only 9 points and the Steelers had won in overtime

Against the Titans on the first play of the game, Antonio Brown scored a TD and after the defense has played probably the best game I've seen in my life!..The Steelers had only had 21 passing yards, but the defense had created seven turnovers in this game.....7!!!!!!

I do not think the defense is dominant as in 2010, especially for the turnovers, but I hope the steelers will shock the world again

zulater
11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
The defense was incredible in 2010 without Roethlisberger

Against the 13-3 falcons, the Steelers defense had allowed only 9 points and the Steelers had won in overtime

Against the Titans on the first play of the game, Antonio Brown scored a TD and after the defense has played probably the best game I've seen in my life!..The Steelers had only had 21 passing yards, but the defense had created seven turnovers in this game.....7!!!!!!

I do not think the defense is dominant as in 2010, especially for the turnovers, but I hope the steelers will shock the world again

But I'm not so sure the 2012 Ravens are nearly as good as the 2010 version of that team either. If the Steelers protect the ball and win the battle of special teams ( hint put 88 back on punt returns!!) they'll take the Ravens down to the final gun. And if you hang around with them long enough Flacco's self destruct instinct is sure to kick in! :heh:

86WARD
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Hines being controversial...lol.