PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of Ben's injury

stillers4me
11-15-2012, 05:21 AM
These diagrams show the sternoclavicular joint...and where it is in relation to the first rib.

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?section=911

The sentence was particularly troubling.....

The ability to thrust the arm and shoulder forward requires sound function of this joint.

posteriordislocations of the joint are usually a result of a force driving the shoulder forwards, or from a direct impact to the superior sternal or medial clavicular surfaces. An example of the latter would be falling on a rugby ball with your team mates landing on top of you!

And Ben was NOT being a drama queen when he talked about how dangerous the injury is...this talks about a dislocated SC joint. (they are calling his a "sprain" , which can be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree). He also has a dislocated 1st rib, which you can see by the diagrams in the first article is located at the SC joint.....

Posterior dislocations can be very dangerous, because the area behind the sternum contains vital organs and tissues. The heart and its large vessels, the trachea, the esophagus, and lymph nodes can all be seriously damaged in a posterior dislocation of the SC joint. This can cause life-threatening injuries to the heart and lungs. Immediate medical help is required to get the SC joint back into position after a posterior dislocation. http://www.eorthopod.com/content/sternoclavicular-joint-problems

I'm predicting this type of injury will be now referred to as "The Roethlisberger". Sigh.

86WARD
11-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Nice post . Very informative there...

stillers4me
11-15-2012, 05:40 AM
In Ben's case, it's probably a VERY good thing that this injury is extremely painful. Otherwise, knowing Ben, he would have went back out and tried to play.

I can't even think about what could have happened.

Crow-Magnon
11-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Injuries are part of football. Seeing the opposing QB get his bell rung is something we all anticipate seeing. But only real morons would be happy to hear this. I remember watching Darryl Stingley twitch like a brained trout after being laid out by Jack Tatum when I was 17 years old. If you enjoy something like THAT, you are a sick mofo.

Ben, here's one Ravens fan hoping you make a full recovery, as soon as practical, but don't play with your life.