PDA

View Full Version : Observations From Last Night (Chiefs)

Seven
11-13-2012, 07:53 AM
A win is a win. The standard is the standard.

Quarterbacks Play: Missing Ben for any amount of time is going to hurt. But don't dwell on it. Let's move on. Leftwich is a solid option and I fully believe he played through a concussion last night to help this team win. Charlie Batch continues to surprise me with how well his arm and game in general has aged every time he sees the field. We have two solid pieces at the position that we can win games with.

Runningback Play: Jon Dwyer and Isaac Redman (particularly Redman) were useless at times of this game. Dwyer finished with 19 carries for 56 yards and a 2.9 yard average, while Redman started the game only to be pulled for a fumble then returned to the game getting stopped on a crucial 4th down attempt. He finished the night with 8 carries for 21 yards and a 2.5 yard average. As I've said all this past week, you can't count on Redman to put two strong games together back to back. Dwyer didn't do too hot either, but at least he took what the offensive line created for him. The team had 95 yards rushing total which isn't an awful day, but a run from Ben and another from Sanders helped pad that stat a little. As of right now Jonathan Dwyer appears to be the only player in our backfield capable of touting the rock without routinely taking losses on plays.

Up Back Play: Heath Miller had an outstanding night in the passing game as well as in the blocking game. Did not notice any major errors from him during my first viewing of this game. Dave Paulson and Will Johnson made their fair share of errors (fumble, dropped passes) but both played solid games otherwise. I have no comment on Leonard Pope.

Receivers: To me, this was where we really almost lost last night’s game. Anyone still think Antonio Brown is overpaid? The receivers could not get any separation all night. Apart from Brandon Flowers, our group of wideouts should have been able to destroy the Chiefs' corners. Wallace made that spectacular catch but apart from that had no impact (3/8 for 14). Sanders did more whining to the officials than he did playmaking (2/7 for 30). And Cotchery only made the most of one reception on 4 targets for 22 yards.

Offensive Line Play: The tackles had a rough day against Hali & Houston. That's probably the best game I've seen Houston play as a pro and I think much of it is due to the fact that he was up against Mike Adams who has been struggling on passing downs when he doesn't receive any help. On the interior most snaps were hit or miss. I thought Ramon Foster probably played his worst game of the season but Pouncey and Colon held their own for the most part.

Defensive Front: The line played really bad. Cam Heyward seemed to provide somewhat of a spark but Hampton and Hood gave up way too much ground. McLendon and Woods didn't help much when they saw the field. James Harrison was largely invisible but considering the Chiefs didn't hammer it to his side very often I don't really have much to say about that. With the exception of a couple plays I thought LaMarr Woodley lacked hustle in this game. Larry Foote played with passion but maybe too much, seemed like he was pressing to make a play. Timmons played a great game. Held up against the run probably the best of the four and had three huge difference making plays (pass defensed, sack, interception).

Defensive Backfield: I believe the defensive backs played exceptionally well all things considered. Despite a lack of pass rush for most of the game Lewis, Clark and Allen held their assignments like glue after we go out of the awful zone schemes we were running the first couple of defensive series'. Taylor had a fair game but there were several occasions where I don't know what he was doing. I'm starting to worry about Ike. He's one of my favorite players but sometimes it seems like he just freezes anymore. That fourth down conversion to Bowe stands out as an example.

Special Teams Play: No major mistakes. The squad seems to be cutting back on penalties which is good. Was hoping for more impact plays from Gilreath and Rainey in the return game.

Moving Forward

Offense: If we're moving forward with Leftwich under center Haley's gameplans have to change. We can't throw receiver screens because his delivery will be a dead giveaway and result in the play getting blown up. I would suggest moving to a more Arians-esque passing game but with better protection - probably max protect. Run deep crossing patterns & deep comebacks with our speedy receivers and Lefty's arm should be able to get it there as long as he has the time. The running game is going to have to be better than it was last night. Find out who the hot hand is early and stick with him.

Defense: The pass rush has to improve or we are toast. I would do anything to ramp up pressure on the quarterback. Hell, I'd swap Timmons and Harrison on some downs at this point. Let LT get after the quartberback and put James on run-stuffing assignments inside. Blitz more DBs. Run more overload blitzes but cover your ass on the other side of the field. I don't think we can afford giving a better team as much time in the pocket as we gave the Chiefs & Cassel last night.

It's going to be interesting. I plan on re-watching the game either today or tomorrow. These are simply observations I made live that I wanted to put out there. If you see it a different way, let me know!

Pristas
11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
A win is a win. The standard is the standard.

Runningback Play: Jon Dwyer and Isaac Redman (particularly Redman) were useless at times of this game. Dwyer finished with 19 carries for 56 yards and a 2.9 yard average, while Redman started the game only to be pulled for a fumble then returned to the game getting stopped on a crucial 4th down attempt. He finished the night with 8 carries for 21 yards and a 2.5 yard average. As I've said all this past week, you can't count on Redman to put two strong games together back to back. Dwyer didn't do too hot either, but at least he took what the offensive line created for him. The team had 95 yards rushing total which isn't an awful day, but a run from Ben and another from Sanders helped pad that stat a little. As of right now Jonathan Dwyer appears to be the only player in our backfield capable of touting the rock without routinely taking losses on plays.

Up Back Play: Heath Miller had an outstanding night in the passing game as well as in the blocking game. Did not notice any major errors from him during my first viewing of this game. Dave Paulson and Will Johnson made their fair share of errors (fumble, dropped passes) but both played solid games otherwise. I have no comment on Leonard Pope.

Heath Miller was the reason Isaac got stuffed on that play. He totally missed his block on the linebacker (I can't remember his name, but he tormented us all night).

I'd just like to add to this summary that the Chiefs defense deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Their D line and linebackers played lights out all game. They were always in the right place and that's why our ground game stunk it up. Those were some big boys, playing for their last hopes of the season. One last chance to redeem themselves by beating Pittsburgh. A confidence builder if you will. We always get that kind of play from crappy teams. People on here always say that we play down to crappy teams. I think, most of the time, they play up. The Chiefs certainly played up last night.

If Ben is out for say three weeks, and we drop two of those 3, probably both to the Ratbirds. That would leave us at 7-5 until he returns. We will need him back to make the playoffs, as we face Cincy, Dallas, San Diego and Cleveland over the last four games. We may need a 10-6 record to make the playoffs, so that would necessitate winning 3 of those 4. If Ben doesn't make it back by then, this season could be in the crapper.

Seven
11-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Heath Miller was the reason Isaac got stuffed on that play. He totally missed his block on the linebacker (I can't remember his name, but he tormented us all night).

Thanks, I couldn't remember what tight end that was. Seemed to be an odd formation on that play. Even if Heath missed the block, I think that was poor planning moreso than execution. That goes for Redman too. I'd put less of the blame on the players there than I would the preperation.

I'd just like to add to this summary that the Chiefs defense deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Their D line and linebackers played lights out all game. They were always in the right place and that's why our ground game stunk it up. Those were some big boys, playing for their last hopes of the season. One last chance to redeem themselves by beating Pittsburgh. A confidence builder if you will. We always get that kind of play from crappy teams. People on here always say that we play down to crappy teams. I think, most of the time, they play up. The Chiefs certainly played up last night.

If Ben is out for say three weeks, and we drop two of those 3, probably both to the Ratbirds. That would leave us at 7-5 until he returns. We will need him back to make the playoffs, as we face Cincy, Dallas, San Diego and Cleveland over the last four games. We may need a 10-6 record to make the playoffs, so that would necessitate winning 3 of those 4. If Ben doesn't make it back by then, this season could be in the crapper.

I agree with everything you said here.

Moose
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
My observation..... we completely sucked !!!! I don't go with the crap that the Chief's or any other opponent played UP to us !! They are fu''kin a 1 win team for crap sake !! IF they have the skill to 'play up' to a team then why in the hell would they be a 1 win team....'play up' each week then. If you are a play off caliber team ( which the Steeler's are thought to be ) then they have to come out and smoke the opponents ass......each and every game !! No shit about it. Play top caliber game for 60 fu''kin minutes. We just weren't game planned for the Chiefs. The Steeler's just sucked. The player's didn't look into it. The coaches made no adjustments. The Chief's did what ever they wanted, when they wanted. The Steeler's defense looked helpless out there. The Steeler's offense couldn't do anything. The Chief's deserved to win. We looked the 1 win team part. Lucky, lucky, lucky win.

Pristas
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
You can't tell me that the Chief's defense didn't look ten times better than the Giants last week. Yeah, we stunk it up a bit, but we lost Ben and that has to hit your morale button hard, especially on a cold rainy night in the Burgh. Heck, Ike left half way through the game, Lefty was concussed, Clark got concussed, it was just a big freaking mess of a game. I'm surprised that they didn't send in Gilbert for one play to roll on Pouncey's knee just to top it all off. Our ground game sucked because their defensive front was as good as any team we've played yet. Sometimes teams fix things part way through the season. I think the Chief's front seven are on the rise and showed it last night. Their biggest problem is a mediocre secondary and a horrible QB.

Seven
11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
You can't tell me that the Chief's defense didn't look ten times better than the Giants last week. Yeah, we stunk it up a bit, but we lost Ben and that has to hit your morale button hard, especially on a cold rainy night in the Burgh. Heck, Ike left half way through the game, Lefty was concussed, Clark got concussed, it was just a big freaking mess of a game. I'm surprised that they didn't send in Gilbert for one play to roll on Pouncey's knee just to top it all off. Our ground game sucked because their defensive front was as good as any team we've played yet. Sometimes teams fix things part way through the season. I think the Chief's front seven are on the rise and showed it last night. Their biggest problem is a mediocre secondary and a horrible QB.

I'm dying from laughter!

Yeah, Kansas City has some great pieces. I'm not a fan of what they have done with the defensive line but everything behind that is stellar. Flowers, Lewis and Berry are all great defensive backs (they need more depth at corner though), Hali & Houston are very underrated and Belcher & Johnson play solid inside. I was impressed with Tyson Jackson last night, but he rarely plays that well.

7willBheaven
11-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there...I agree the KC D looked pretty decent...they are young and have some solid potential. Also everyone remember the "super Ravens" only beat KC 9 to 6.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Just wanted to throw this out there...I agree the KC D looked pretty decent...they are young and have some solid potential. Also everyone remember the "super Ravens" only beat KC 9 to 6.

at arrowhead. one of the toughest stadiums to play in. and the ravens have always been retardedly bad on the road.

it does ease the pain a bit though lol