PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich (My own thoughts) injured?

Craic
11-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I seriously have to wonder if Leftwich didn't play that game with a concussion. He got hit from behind, and hit the ground, the back of the head first. After that, he looked woozy and not exactly in control. Matter of fact, I would surmise that if Batch was dressed, he would have gone in the game after that hit.

I would not be surprised to get a report in the next day or so that he did suffer a concussion, and played with it most of the third and fourth quarter.

vader29
11-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Curious as to who would have been the emergency quarterback if Leftwich had to leave the game.

Steelman
11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I seriously have to wonder if Leftwich didn't play that game with a concussion. He got hit from behind, and hit the ground, the back of the head first. After that, he looked woozy and not exactly in control. Matter of fact, I would surmise that if Batch was dressed, he would have gone in the game after that hit.

I would not be surprised to get a report in the next day or so that he did suffer a concussion, and played with it most of the third and fourth quarter.

Wouldn't surprise me either. That was a nasty whiplash, and he was definitely woozy afterward. I don't really think it affected his play -- I don't see how Lefty (even if he's a serviceable backup) fits our scheme. He doesn't have the tools to run Haley's offense very well. But it would have been interesting who they put in at QB if he did get knocked out.

7willBheaven
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
I thought the same thing...he looked a little "bleh"...knocked a little silly or whatever...if it was a full blown concussion I dont know...but he did look a little out of it.

I too was wondering who the emergency QB is now since Hines is gone...

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't surprise me either. That was a nasty whiplash, and he was definitely woozy afterward. I don't really think it affected his play -- I don't see how Lefty (even if he's a serviceable backup) fits our scheme. He doesn't have the tools to run Haley's offense very well. But it would have been interesting who they put in at QB if he did get knocked out.

I thought that too myself a bit also...about him fitting the scheme. While a lot of players can adapt and fit into a number of schemes...just watching him and how he throws and all...eh...I dunno. Who knows...

Count Steeler
11-13-2012, 05:11 AM
I thought, great, 1 play and the guy gets injured. I am glad he was able to continue.

Maybe Legursky can sling it?

stillers4me
11-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Word on Twitter was it's Cotchery. :noidea:

GBMelBlount
11-13-2012, 06:49 AM
He always plays like he is concussed imo.

Seven
11-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Great observation. Thought the same exact thing. He looked concussed as hell after landing on the ground like that. I think he played through it.

Chidi29
11-13-2012, 06:59 AM
That's when the independent neurologist is supposed to step in if he sees a guy is showing signs of a concussion.

Austin87
11-13-2012, 07:52 AM
He hit his head pretty damn hard on that first play, I wouldn't be surprised either if he actually had a concussion.

tube517
11-13-2012, 07:54 AM
When he was getting out of the huddle, he looked like he bumped into another player and looked lost, like Preach said

steelpride12
11-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Although very unsafe, I'm glad the guy sucked it up, stayed in there, and did his best. I hope he get's himself checked out because his health is more important than playing the rest of a football game!

Seven
11-13-2012, 08:07 AM
That's when the independent neurologist is supposed to step in if he sees a guy is showing signs of a concussion.

I didn't think those guys were on the sidelines yet? Thought the PA was pushing for it but it hasn't come to fruition.

Chidi29
11-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Hmm...you might be right Seven.

Seven
11-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Hmm...you might be right Seven.

I tried looking it up. Can't find anything substantial enough to determine whether they are present on the sidelines yet or not but I thought they were talking about next season for that. Could be wrong, but as far as I know it's still only team medical personnel that deals with concussions on site.

steelreserve
11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
I didn't think those guys were on the sidelines yet? Thought the PA was pushing for it but it hasn't come to fruition.

I think they must have them on the sidelines, or at least standing by. The rule this year is that you're REQUIRED to pass an evaluation by an independent neurologist as well as the team's own standard tests before you can go back in the game. So obviously they have to have an independent neurologist available.

This situation also goes to show that getting rid of the "semi-active" third QB was a bad idea. Yeah, I know they increased the active roster to 46 so that IN THEORY you could use that spot on a third QB if you wanted to ... but the reality is that most teams just use it on an extra position player and keep only two QBs active. So when the starter gets injured early, the backup is going to be under a tremendous amount of pressure to finish the game no matter what, including playing through concussions or whatever other injuries. A similar thing happened in the 49ers game on Sunday, which was maybe even more dangerous because their backup QB is one of those scramble-around guys.