PDA

View Full Version : If Ben misses games, best option? Batch or Leftwich

zulater
11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
I say Batch. He looks ugly doing it at times but he reads the field well and finds guys open when it counts.

Leftwich will get sacked every third pass attempt with that windup of his against the Ravens and Browns.

polamalubeast
11-12-2012, 11:48 PM
batch

vader29
11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Charlie Batch.

Psycho Ward 86
11-13-2012, 12:17 AM
a long wind up kills this offense a lot more than the one under arians. dont need a rocket arm. just a decent release and accuracy. albeit the whole offense looked bad tonight but you are kidding yourself if you thought leftwich showed either tonight.

Count Steeler
11-13-2012, 05:08 AM
I think Lefty will be fine with a week of reps under his belt. If we go by last night, most of the Steelers should sit against the Ravens. However, this is our team, let's get used to us playing to the level of our opponents.

The injuries, though, just keep piling up. It will truly be amazing if we make the playoffs with everything that has happened to our players this year.

steeldawg
11-13-2012, 05:30 AM
I cant stand leftwhich anyways but in an offense that asks him to throw short passes hes even worse, the guy has trouble throwing quick because of his delivery and has no touch.

GBMelBlount
11-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Batch.

Do we have the QB (who i believe had a 115 pre season passer rating) on the practice squad?

Shoes
11-13-2012, 07:25 AM
This was my concern when they let Jerrod Johnson walk. They should have dumped Lefty or Chuck. This kid had a strong arm and legs at least.

86WARD
11-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Cotchery.

Maybe it's time to throw $3M at a back up QB?? Someone who is competent maybe?

Shoes
11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Cotchery.

Maybe it's time to throw $3M at a back up QB?? Someone who is competent maybe?

Kurt Warner? :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
This was my concern when they let Jerrod Johnson walk. They should have dumped Lefty or Chuck. This kid had a strong arm and legs at least.

This was my concern too. Did anyone else pick Jerrod Johnson up?

Johnson is exactly the kind of guy they should be trying to develop until they NEED to use a high pick on Ben's Replacement.

Why they have two washed up QB's when they could be developing Johnson makes no sense.

Austin87
11-13-2012, 07:49 AM
I think Leftwich will be much better when he actually gets a week to prepare. Therefor I'm going with Lefty.

Edman
11-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Going with Batch here.

Leftwich has no touch whatsoever.

XxKnightxX
11-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Brett Favre

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

X-Terminator
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Lefty, of course. BOtch shouldn't do anything other than hold clipboards and look at pictures.

steelpride12
11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
How can anyone say Batch? The dude's done more clipboard work on the sideline all season long than anyone. Can't blame Lefty for how he played last night, obviously it was spur of the moment and giving him a week's long preparation will suite him much more. Give the dude sometime before we all jump on the grandpa Botch bandwagon.

Moose
11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
OMG ! Never thought this question would come up this year the way Ben was getting rid of the ball and not hitting the dirt like in the past. Jerrod Johnson did come to mind as the kid to get the ball, and I didn't understand why they gave him walking paper's either. Seemed to have a great future if worked with. I wonder if he's still out there ? Now, as for either Lefty or Batch ? UGH. Real tough question, no decent pro's/con's for either. Work out BOTH this week to full extent....then start Lefty, after 1st quarter evaluate then either continue with Lefty or switch to Batch......OR see if Johnson would come back. If you don't have a decent BACKUP then why in the HELL did they keep both of them ??????

Seven
11-13-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't care.

I'll say Leftwich simply because he's the next man on the depth chart. Batch is probably a better fit for this scheme, but they both have their pros and cons.

As I posted in another thread, if they roll with Lefty we need to change some things. No more quick-screens, the delivery kills that as an option. Dead giveaway. We're going to need to max protect and run deep crossing patterns on passing downs and just hope our receivers + Leftwich's arm can beat whatever the opponent throws at them.

tube517
11-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Can't remember the last time Leftwich even played before last night. 100 year old Chuck Batch vs 80 year old (legs)/windmill delivery Byron Leftwich. Randy Fichtner and Haley have their work cut out for them.

vader29
11-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Charlie Batch is 5-2 in spot starts for the Steelers, he is just a winner baby!

Seven
11-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Can't remember the last time Leftwich even played before last night. 100 year old Chuck Batch vs 80 year old (legs)/windmill delivery Byron Leftwich. Randy Fichtner and Haley have their work cut out for them.

I don't think he has played for us in the regular season since he came back from Tampa?

------------UPDATE-------------

David Garrard wants us to know that he's available

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/13/david-garrard-puts-out-word-that-hes-available/

86WARD
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Garrard is probably better than the other 2 we have now. Warner...lol. He knows the offense...

Seven
11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Garrard is probably better than the other 2 we have now. Warner...lol. He knows the offense...

I hesitate to agree, but I definitely do. I would take a look at bringing him in if Ben is going to miss more than one or two weeks. His mobility + quick release would give us a better chance to win than Leftwich or Batch. Hell, I think this team would still be a playoff contender under Garrard.

I doubt the staff even discusses it though. I know this sounds really stupid, but I bet they wouldn't do it simply because Lefty has already lost a job to him before.

GodfatherofSoul
11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Charlie Batch is 5-2 in spot starts for the Steelers, he is just a winner baby!

I'm not sure where this "Charlie sucks" mentality is coming from. He's played well filling in. The only problems I have are both he and Leftwich are injury prone.

I'm hoping that the reason Leftwich always gets the 2nd slot is he'll work out to be a better backup with some reps.

Psycho Ward 86
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't care.

I'll say Leftwich simply because he's the next man on the depth chart. Batch is probably a better fit for this scheme, but they both have their pros and cons.

and what are those pros and cons? leftwich has a stronger arm, batch has a quicker release and more accuracy? which is better for our offense? there is no question.

Seven
11-13-2012, 10:58 AM
and what are those pros and cons? leftwich has a stronger arm, batch has a quicker release and more accuracy? which is better for our offense? there is no question.

I agree, but there are aspects of this offense that Leftwich can execute if they think he is the better quarterback plain and simple. Like I said, I really don't care who plays. So I'm not going to sit here and advocate they play Lefty over Batch, because I think Batch probably gives us just as much chance to win. The most important thing is that they realize they don't have a quarterback who can do it all anymore and plan accordingly - whichever direction they decide to go.

steel striker
11-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Batch has the quicker release and, Lefty has the big arm. It seems Lefty will get the nod and, yes we all know how tough Ben is but, man he is hurt. I guess Lefty will be in the shot gun the entire game and, I hope the oline brings their A Game.

Steelman
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Probably doesn't matter who's behind center in Ben's absence -- the running game is gonna have to find that fire from a couple weeks ago for us to stay competitive.

I voted for Twiggy. :wink02:

86WARD
11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Tomlin has no interest in Garrard.

86WARD
11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Probably doesn't matter who's behind center in Ben's absence -- the running game is gonna have to find that fire from a couple weeks ago for us to stay competitive.

I voted for Twiggy. :wink02:

They can run on Baltimore...if they execute like they did the last few weeks. Problem is, they are going to have to be successful at passing at some point to open that up...

Animal Mother
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Ben has a whole 5 days to learn to throw left handed. Problem solved.

Shoes
11-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Johnson is exactly the kind of guy they should be trying to develop until they NEED to use a high pick on Ben's Replacement.

Why they have two washed up QB's when they could be developing Johnson makes no sense.

He's playing in Canada.

GBMelBlount
11-13-2012, 01:43 PM
He's playing in Canada.

Well, at least he gets his meds cheap.

Seven
11-13-2012, 01:49 PM
He's playing in Canada.

With what club? I thought he was on a UFL* squad

venom
11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
I picked Lefty - We need the D to pick up big time !!!!

Chidi29
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Last time the team threw an inexperienced QB to the wolves against the Ravens, Dixon threw a pick to Paul Kruger to seal our fate. No thanks on starting Johnson even if we still had him.

GBMelBlount
11-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Last time the team threw an inexperienced QB to the wolves against the Ravens, Dixon threw a pick to Paul Kruger to seal our fate. No thanks on starting Johnson even if we still had him.

I wasn't thinking about Baltimore. Just the logic of keeping two washed up quarterbacks and not someone that has the potential to develop into a starter.

Shoes
11-13-2012, 06:54 PM
With what club? I thought he was on a UFL* squad

He is...... I had a brain fart. Oh on another note ....the rat's re-signed D Dixon today. :chuckle:

86WARD
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Out of Leftwich and Batch, Leftwich is a better option. Leftwich is horrible. Batch is that much worse...

It's funny that the Ravens signed Dixon. Steelers have zero interest in bringing him back. If anything, they just want a practice rep arm/squad player...I think Dixon is eligible, but they've done that already...there's no interest there. Johnson could be an option. I heard that a guy like Matt Gutierrez or Tyler Palko could be options seeing that they both are PS eligible and both know Haley's system.

Shoes
11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Out of Leftwich and Batch, Leftwich is a better option. Leftwich is horrible. Batch is that much worse...

It's funny that the Ravens signed Dixon. Steelers have zero interest in bringing him back. If anything, they just want a practice rep arm/squad player...I think Dixon is eligible, but they've done that already...there's no interest there. Johnson could be an option. I heard that a guy like Matt Gutierrez or Tyler Palko could be options seeing that they both are PS eligible and both know Haley's system.

I think it's funny....Ben's out and we're still in their heads.

Seven
11-13-2012, 10:17 PM
He is...... I had a brain fart. Oh on another note ....the rat's re-signed D Dixon today. :chuckle:

Happens to all of us. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of these guys once they get to the secondary leagues. I was actually going to be excited if he was in Canada cause I watch the CFL here and there when I can.

GBMelBlount
11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
86ward

Just curious how many games Forest Whitaker...errrr....ummmm....Byron Leftwich has won as a starter in say the last 6 years?

SteelGhost
11-13-2012, 10:57 PM
The best option is to pray and wait for the best, but it's not in the poll, so I voted Leftwich :chuckle:

Seven
11-13-2012, 10:59 PM
So just curious, is there any real talk that Batch might start? From anyone other than the fans? I mean, Leftwich is clearly the number two on the depth chart right?

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2012, 02:32 AM
even if i didnt watch leftwich throw against the chiefs, id want batch. Especially now that i see this offense in action. that long windup is going to kill us, and get our receivers killed. when you take as long as he does to toss a short pass, its a mega liability to the yards after the catch that this offense has been more dependent on. especially those screen passes. everybody we play seem to understand that its coming, and theyre expecting it, but ben just gets it out so damn fast they cant do a whole lot about it (coupled with the receivers and tight ends throwing blocks dauntingly fast) . i hope we get antonio brown back for this game because he definitely takes off the quickest after securing the catch out of all of our receivers.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Agreed. I don't think Leftwich is an ideal match for this offense.

zulater
11-14-2012, 05:47 AM
I've never understood the Batch hate on this board? Starting with our dearly departed Marianne, and extending to Precher, XT, and several others, what has he ever done to draw the derisive play on his name "Botch"? As a Steelers when called upon he's always played competently if not good. No doubt he looks ugly doing it, but somehow or other he gets the job done. And not just by handing it off. Batch is extremely smart, and probably could or will be a good coach once retired. What he lacks in physical gifts he makes up for with savvy and wherwithal. And you know what else he does? He gets the ball down the field! He might only complete just over half of his passes, but 2, 3, 4 times in a game he'll hit a big gainer down field. You do that a couple times and the ground game opens up, because the safeties and corners can't cheat and jam the box. And going downfield successfully also aids the short passing game because it stops the corners from squatting down low on the receivers, ( like they did all game after Ben left) which kills any chance of a successfull screen game.

- - - Updated - - -

In defense of Leftwich, he went into that game with virtually no practice reps since the preseason ended. With a full week of practice with the starters I would imagine he'll look a little more like an NFL qb.

I would still start Batch though. But it's not my call to make, so I'll respect the Steelers decision and hope Leftwich makes them look smart for doing so.

Steeldude
11-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Develop him into what? Johnson is no different than Dixon : )

I would rather have the Steelers sign Derek Anderson or Jason Campbell next season. Rex Grossman is out there also.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Develop him into what? Johnson is no different than Dixon : )

I would rather have the Steelers sign Derek Anderson or Jason Campbell next season. Rex Grossman is out there also.

He did not look anything like Dixon and if I am not mistaken he had the highest passer rating on the team in the preseason...like 110 or 120....

The point is you don't need to waste two roster spots on TWO washed up backup quarterbacks whether it is batch and forest whitaker or somebody else imo.

That's all.

Pristas
11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
He did not look anything like Dixon and if I am not mistaken he had the highest passer rating on the team in the preseason...like 110 or 120....

The point is you don't need to waste two roster spots on TWO washed up backup quarterbacks whether it is batch and forest whitaker or somebody else imo.

That's all.

As much as I love Batch, I have to agree. Johnson could have been a star in the wings. Especially if he were getting the NFL-level training all season long in Pittsburgh at our practice facilities. I'd definitely take his 25% chance of greatness over 100% chance of mediocrity.

X-Terminator
11-14-2012, 09:49 AM
I've never understood the Batch hate on this board? Starting with our dearly departed Marianne, and extending to Precher, XT, and several others, what has he ever done to draw the derisive play on his name "Botch"? As a Steelers when called upon he's always played competently if not good. No doubt he looks ugly doing it, but somehow or other he gets the job done. And not just by handing it off. Batch is extremely smart, and probably could or will be a good coach once retired. What he lacks in physical gifts he makes up for with savvy and wherwithal. And you know what else he does? He gets the ball down the field! He might only complete just over half of his passes, but 2, 3, 4 times in a game he'll hit a big gainer down field. You do that a couple times and the ground game opens up, because the safeties and corners can't cheat and jam the box. And going downfield successfully also aids the short passing game because it stops the corners from squatting down low on the receivers, ( like they did all game after Ben left) which kills any chance of a successfull screen game.

- - - Updated - - -

In defense of Leftwich, he went into that game with virtually no practice reps since the preseason ended. With a full week of practice with the starters I would imagine he'll look a little more like an NFL qb.

I would still start Batch though. But it's not my call to make, so I'll respect the Steelers decision and hope Leftwich makes them look smart for doing so.

Simply put, Batch is not very good, and has never been good. Has no arm strength, throws a lot of passes into the ground, has happy feet, etc. And you want that guy starting? No thanks. I'll take my chances with Lefty despite the long windup and being a statue in the pocket.

Steeldude
11-14-2012, 10:08 AM

That's all.

They are both spread option QBs who have trouble reading defenses and throwing accurately.

IMO, I wouldn't want a QB who is clueless and can't throw. There are FA veterans available next season

But did you see Whitaker take on Lincoln High? He was an animal. A little movie trivia : )

zulater
11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Simply put, Batch is not very good, and has never been good. Has no arm strength, throws a lot of passes into the ground, has happy feet, etc. And you want that guy starting? No thanks. I'll take my chances with Lefty despite the long windup and being a statue in the pocket.

Simply put, any time the Steelers start Batch they either win or are competitive down to the final gun.

Leftwich hasn't started a game for the Steelers period. And further he hasn't won a game as an NFL starter since 2006!

In my opinion Batch is much less of a gamble than Leftwich.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
They are both spread option QBs who have trouble reading defenses and throwing accurately.

IMO, I wouldn't want a QB who is clueless and can't throw. There are FA veterans available next season

But did you see Whitaker take on Lincoln High? He was an animal. A little movie trivia : )

I wonder if he's still available. :chuckle:

Seven
11-14-2012, 12:28 PM

IMO, I wouldn't want a QB who is clueless and can't throw.

What the hell are you talking about? Just because Johnson played in a spread at A&M means he automatically sucks in the league? Someone better alert Ryan Tannehill to this rule.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Batch seriously hasnt let us down yet. If we still had our, ehem, old offense it would be more of a crap shoot to choose the starter in waiting, but leftwich is not designed for these screen passes and constant 3 step drops. Name a quarterback not named tebow with a slower release. He's going to get our receivers killed, just sitting, waiting for passes that defensive backs can clearly see coming due to leftwich's telegraphing throwing motion. And Batch just seems more accurate anyways.

Count Steeler
11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
You can also use that telegraph to fool the defense. Let them bite on the pump fake, and then rip it down the field.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
You can also use that telegraph to fool the defense. Let them bite on the pump fake, and then rip it down the field.

hmm true. i wonder if this is the game where we really start going downfield to take advantage of leftwich's arm and wallace, since brown still might be out

X-Terminator
11-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Simply put, any time the Steelers start Batch they either win or are competitive down to the final gun.

Leftwich hasn't started a game for the Steelers period. And further he hasn't won a game as an NFL starter since 2006!

In my opinion Batch is much less of a gamble than Leftwich.

I have no problem with that. I just disagree and don't want Batch starting.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
regardless, im gonna have to say no excuses for this game if we lose. its not our way anyways. its not like the ravens have had the prettiest injury log all season either. Ray Lewis and Lardarius Webb out for the season, Suggs out for half the season, Jimmy Smith just had groin surgery and wont be back until the very end of the season: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000095319/article/jimmy-smith-of-baltimore-ravens-undergoes-surgery. Ed Reed has been battling a shoulder injury all season and been missing tons of tackles.

Essentially the only starter in the 2ndary theyll have for this game is Bernard Pollard, and its not really news to anyone that he's struggling in pass coverage. he's huge and always been a box safety. I will be sorely disappointed if leftwich is unable to throw for 250-300.

tube517
11-15-2012, 12:50 PM

http://buildup1.wikispaces.com/file/view/windmill.jpeg/202709922/windmill.jpeg Can windmills pump fake though? :chuckle:

Seriously, I think Leftwich will look better than he did vs KC . My real fear is his durability.

zulater
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Anyone care to change their vote?

polamalubeast
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
McNabb