PDA

View Full Version : Taamu Released

BlastFurnace
11-12-2012, 04:20 PM
per profootballtalk.com

Steelers dump Alameda Ta’amu
Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2012, 4:16 PM EST

APAfter rookie fourth-round defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested on a laundry list of charges last month, the team suspended him two games. Apparently, that was the extent of the punishment.

Apparently, it wasn’t.

On Monday, the Steelers waived Ta’amu, creating a roster-spot for practice-squad receiver David Gilreath, who’ll help replace injured receiver Antonio Brown for Monday night’s game against the Chiefs

Ta’amu will be required to pass through waivers, and every team will have a crack at claiming the contract of the fourth-round pick. The fact that he already has been punished by the Steelers arguably means that he can’t be fined or suspended by the league.

If Ta’amu passes threw waivers, the Steelers could sign him to the practice squad. If they don’t, then it shows they’ve decided that they’re done with him.

stillers4me
11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
The Steelers added wide receiver David Gilreath (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/david-gilreath/6e219ad7-4ab7-4a37-a05f-4bee4d76c78a/) to the active roster, the team announced today. Gilreath will wear No. 18.

Gilreath has spent the first nine weeks of the 2012 season on the team’s practice squad. He was signed to the Steelers’ offseason roster on January 20, 2012. Gilreath originally signed with the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted rookie free agent out of the University of Wisconsin on July 29, 2011.

To make room for Gilreath on the active roster, the Steelers released rookie defensive lineman Alameda Ta’amu, who was the team’s fourth-round pick in this past year’s NFL Draft.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-make-roster-move/0680a089-bd4d-4d00-b38f-b361eb0eb6aa

stillers4me
11-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Ed: Ta'amu Worth the Waiver Risk (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118833-ed-taamu-worth-the-waiver-risk)Monday, 12 November 2012 15:19
Written by Ed Bouchette

Good evening,
So the Steelers finally cut Alameda Ta’amu, weeks after he was charged with many, many violations of the law for trying to outrun and run over some cops on the South Side.
What took them so long? Don’t worry, if he clears waivers they’ll put him on the practice squad and he may even return to the 53-man roster once Antonio Brown gets over that “mild” high ankle sprain as Mike Tomlin called it (that now looks as though will keep him out at least through the next two games). They signed wide receiver David Gilreath from the practice squad.
They do risk another team claiming him tomorrow – waivers do not clear for 24 hours or 4 p.m. eastern. But so what? It’s a risk worth taking. Another team has to put him on their 53-man roster if they claim him. You cannot claim a player and put him on the practice squad. If he clears, he can sign to any practice squad but if the Steelers want him, he’d be a fool to sign elsewhere.
Do you think it would help his case with the local law if he’s no longer a Steelers and signs with, say, the Ravens?
I’ll have more later and I’ll try to get to some of your questions. And, of course, I’ll have a prediction.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118833-ed-taamu-worth-the-waiver-risk

HollywoodSteel
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
We've all been debating why it was that the Steelers kept him on the team, but I guess the point is Ta'amoot now.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

stillers4me
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Mike Prisuta‏@DVEMike
If things work out the way the #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) hope Ta'amu will clear waivers, be re-signed. Move wouldn't have been made had Brown stayed healthy

HollywoodSteel
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
An alarm just went off in Bruce Arian's office: "Steeler on the waiver wire! Steeler on the waiver wire!"

Godfather
11-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I can live with signing him to the practice squad. Sends a strong message, but gives him a chance to earn his way back.

SteelerFanInStl
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Steelers West will sign him.

Count Steeler
11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm sure scumbag Belicheat will take a sniff.

Hindes204
11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Figured it was just a matter of time

Seven
11-12-2012, 06:52 PM
I was ready to applaud the move. But if they are just releasing him out of necessity then who cares. That said, I doubt he makes it past waivers whether the Steelers intend on bringing him back for PS or not, so looks like he'll be gone.

tube517
11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
An alarm just went off in Bruce Arian's and Ken Whisenhunt's office: "Steeler on the waiver wire! Steeler on the waiver wire!"

Fixed.

86WARD
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Could be just a temporary thing?

Chidi29
11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Could be just a temporary thing?

Yes, that's what it appears to be. If they were going to cut him because of his off the field issues, they would have done so instead of reinstating him.

GBMelBlount
11-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Now we may never have a Ta'amulu song.

http://youtu.be/se8ABHcq8g4

steelreserve
11-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't think anyone would sign a guy to their active roster who's likely going to be in jail, so we're probably safe counting on him being available for the PS.

LLT
11-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Without researching.....The three teams that immediately come to mind who may need a NT are the Panthers...Colts...and Texans. I think the Texans wont give him a second glance...but the Colts and Panthers "might".

stillers4me
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl
Former Steelers DT Alameda Ta'amu passed through waivers today unclaimed.

steelreserve
11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl
Former Steelers DT Alameda Ta'amu passed through waivers today unclaimed.

Heh. Yeah, pretty soon he'll be claimed off waivers by jail!

I wonder what their mascot is? The Jail Wildcats? The Jail Cougars? Neither of those have much of a ring to them.

bayz101
11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Since he passed through waivers, expect him to be on our Practice Squad soon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Since he passed through waivers, expect him to be on our Practice Squad soon.

Yes, he is back on the PS!!